How often can a bill collector call you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 04-19-2007, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have one that keeps calling my cell - sometimes as many as 10 times as day. Last night they called at nearly 9pm too.

I'd pay the debt but right now I just can't - we hardly have enough $$$ to keep food on the table and a roof over our heads atm.

I know they used to have a law about when and how often a debt collection company could call - but I can't find it now. I'm in TX fwiw
#2 of 16 Old 04-19-2007, 07:30 PM

A collector can call you multiple times a day between 8 a.m. and 9 p.m., so if it was *nearly* 9:00 PM it was still okay for them to call you. You can request that they not call you at home/work etc and only communicate with you via mail. I've done that and the calls stopped--now I'm getting someone else's collection calls on my phone!

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#3 of 16 Old 04-19-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
You can request that they not call you at home/work etc and only communicate with you via mail. I've done that and the calls stopped--now I'm getting someone else's collection calls on my phone!
Good advice. Be sure to make that request to the collection agency in writing (mail or fax), because they don't have to abide by a verbal request.
#4 of 16 Old 04-19-2007, 08:32 PM

If anyone contacts you more than 3 times in 24hours you can charge them with harrassment.
#5 of 16 Old 04-19-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
If anyone contacts you more than 3 times in 24hours you can charge them with harrassment.
I believe that only counts if you answer the phone or they leave a message.

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#6 of 16 Old 04-19-2007, 08:49 PM

I am not positive, but I believe they can only TALK to you once a day. But they can attempt to reach you as many times as it takes.

I agree re. sending a letter telling them not to call you anymore, that all dealings will be via the mail.

flowersforyou.gif

#7 of 16 Old 04-19-2007, 08:59 PM

Have you spoken with them? I highly recommend you do. You may find that they will set you up on a *very* nominal sum to pay each month, as little as a few dollars, and they'll leave you alone if you keep paying it.

Just be honest about your situation and explain that you want to pay what you owe but are having a hard time even putting food on the table. It can be hard to tell that to a stranger but you don't get anything unless you ask.

good luck
#8 of 16 Old 04-19-2007, 09:50 PM

I don't know, but wanted to give you a

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#9 of 16 Old 04-19-2007, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daekini View Post
Have you spoken with them? I highly recommend you do. You may find that they will set you up on a *very* nominal sum to pay each month, as little as a few dollars, and they'll leave you alone if you keep paying it.

Just be honest about your situation and explain that you want to pay what you owe but are having a hard time even putting food on the table. It can be hard to tell that to a stranger but you don't get anything unless you ask.

good luck
YUP, this is called a "good faith effort." Send a letter that says, "I will send what my family can afford to pay each month. I will not commit to specific amounts, because our situation may change for the worse. In light of this good faith effort, I request that all future correspondence be made in writing and all phone calls cease."

Then send them $1 every month until you can afford to pay more.
#10 of 16 Old 04-19-2007, 10:42 PM

I dunno, but I keep getting calls from medical billing from someone I have never heard of. And we've had this number going on 5 years now. I litterly get 5 calls a day, and it's the automated service telling me to call an 800 number. (I really hate these)

I have called their number 4 times now asking them to remove my phone number and correct this, however they won't. :

So good luck,
Steph
#11 of 16 Old 04-20-2007, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
My car company used to call and speak to me times a day even though I was paying monthly(we missed just ONE month!) and sending in an extra $50 EVERY MONTH! Jerks!

Meg

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#12 of 16 Old 04-20-2007, 11:23 AM

I just wanted to add that the letter needs to be sent certified & return reciept requested. You will need proof that they got it or else they will claim they never got it and keep calling you. The law also allows for taking legal action if they continue calling after you send a letter but you have to prove they got the request.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#13 of 16 Old 04-20-2007, 03:23 PM

I thought they weren't allowed to call you on a cell phone if you tell them it is a cell phone? Since you're getting charged for the calls...

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#14 of 16 Old 04-20-2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisie125 View Post
I believe that only counts if you answer the phone or they leave a message.
yes that is true. It goes for anyone, even the police. If they talk to you more than 3 times in 24hours you can charge the police with harrassment. I've had to play hardball with collectors due to someone giving them our phone number for a border we had.
#15 of 16 Old 04-20-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennnk View Post
YUP, this is called a "good faith effort." Send a letter that says, "I will send what my family can afford to pay each month. I will not commit to specific amounts, because our situation may change for the worse. In light of this good faith effort, I request that all future correspondence be made in writing and all phone calls cease."

Then send them $1 every month until you can afford to pay more.
This is very true.
#16 of 16 Old 04-20-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leylla View Post
I dunno, but I keep getting calls from medical billing from someone I have never heard of. And we've had this number going on 5 years now. I litterly get 5 calls a day, and it's the automated service telling me to call an 800 number. (I really hate these)

I have called their number 4 times now asking them to remove my phone number and correct this, however they won't. :

So good luck,
Steph
If they are calling you for someone who doesn't live there, and you've told them this, then you can get them for harassment. Next time they call, be firm. "So and so doesn't live here, I've had this number for five years. So and so has NEVER lived here, I don't know him, and I don't know how your organization thinks that this number is his. If you call me again, knowing now that so and so does not live here, I WILL seek legal counsel."

ETA: My former roommate went to collections for a cell phone bill. When Husband & I moved, we took the phone number with us. I was cordial but firm with the collector and offered to look up ex-roommate's parents in the directory so they could find him that way. They didn't call again. When we lived in our last apartment, we would get collections calls for former residents. I would explain that the phone number had stayed the same, but I didn't know Colleen or Patricia or Kevin or Yolanda or Kyla or Thomas (seriously, we had a LOT of calls), and I know they're just doing their job, but they REALLY need to stop calling because we don't know these people. Screening your calls would work, too, in theory. Answering machine: "Hi! You've reached the Smith family, John, Karen, and Diego can't come to the phone right now. If you're calling for Patricia, Colleen, or Yolanda, they don't live here and never have, please update your records. Otherwise, please leave a message and we'll call you right back."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page