Poor Family Support Tribe- NO DEBATE - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-29-2007, 11:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've seen things labeled organic with HFCS

ds2 can't have dairy or corn--or soy, but we let that one slide sometimes--so we are NEUROTIC label readers

I was when I first saw it....
but it is out there
Particularly in organic candies

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2007, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jenna~ View Post
I wanted to ask about the Feingold diet. I checked out some books from the library about it, and there isn't too much info. I see that it says to cut out the artificial crap and it has a list of fruits and veggies to cut out and then bring back in slowly, but it also says there is a list of brand name stuff that is approved. Do you have to buy that info from their website or something? I was hoping I could find it free somewhere because I certainly don't have the $70 or whatever for it. I really want to try it because I've noticed my kids acting crazy just minutes after eating certain foods (like M&Ms ). I guess I could just make everything from scratch, but somethings I like to buy, like mayo. Plus we get a box of free food once a month from a charity and I would like to know which stuff I should use and what stuff I should give to someone else I know that needs food.
I actually have a Feingold membership. The reason it costs money to join and get the foodlist is because it costs them money to keep the organization going, to research new products (and re-research old products), and to distribute the information about the products. Feingold doens't remove nitrites, nitrates, or HFCS although the food list does label which items contain those additives for those who are extra sensitive to them, or just want to avoid them. Feingold specifically addresses synthetic colors, flavors, fragrances, and the preservatives BHA, BHT, and TBHQ. Which items contain salicylates (stage 2 items) you can figure out from the list that's free on the Feingold website. Plus, don't forget about non-food items. If you use any household cleaners or soaps/shampoos with synthetic fragrances, they could be causing problems. Suave Naturals Coconut Shampoo and Conditioner are fine (and cheap.)

Just reading labels isn't enough. There are still ways for manufacturers to sneak in chemicals without having to label it. Say they use BHT in a pan spray (cooking spray) in their loaf pans, then put bread dough in the pans and bake. The ingredient list will tell you what they put in the dough, but not information about the pan spray- but some kids are sensitive enough to react to the chemicals even in such tiny amounts. Also, with artificial colors- if a yogurt manufacturer adds strawberries to the yogurt, if the strawberries already have red food dye added (ie, the manufacturer isn't the one who put it there) it doesn't have to be on the ingredient list. Another way: vitamin A Palmitate is often (but not always) preserved with BHA. If you see Vitamin A Palmitate in the ingredient list, then you can't be sure the item is "safe".

If you stick to whole milk products (vitamin A Palmitate is often added to lowfat and fat free milks) then you don't need to worry about brands. Trader Joe's stuff generally is fine, although not everything in the store is listed in the Food Guide. Plain flour, plain pasta, plain sugar, plain raw meat, and extra virgin olive oil are perfectly acceptable in any brand.

When you get the charity food box, post it here or PM me and I'll help you figure out which items you should avoid.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 04-30-2007, 06:07 AM

sarah_bella1050 ~ DH and I have a Movie Gallery membership - free to sign up - and if you don't go in and pay to rent a movie they will call you like every month to give you a free rental. We don't buy cable, just an occasional rental movie, and we get about 80% of our rentals free that way. Perhaps there is something like that where you live. They may not do it there, but it's free to sign up. I know that Hastings does not do it. I don't know about others.
Also if you return the movie quickly before close of busines the following day you get $1 credit on your account *dunno if that applies to the free rentals though, I never thought to look*

Tomorrow is my "Friday". I'm starting to wonder why most of the world thinks they should get Sat/Sun off every weekend, but I always have to work. What makes them so special? Maybe it's just working in retail. If business goes on to me, I don't see why a realtor can't call me on Saturday? I guess I'm too impatient to wait 2 days.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirelle View Post
Ugh! Bummer! I rambled on about it for nothing
Not all for naught - all the ymca talk prompted me to look at my local Y's website and sure enough they have an "Access" program I can apply for. I really need excercise (yesterday to my horror I found that last summer's shorts still fit all too well on the upside at least I don't have to buy/find the next size down) and they have Yoga and Pilates classes available. If I get the childcare free too then I wouldn't have to worry about trying to squeeze into dh's crazy work schedule!
Old 04-30-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Diva View Post
So our only major splurge is cable/phone/internet. We have time warner and get free long distance. This alone is cheapre than any phone company we have looked into. .
This is what we signed up for too in Feb. Just about everyone I know that I call is a regional or long distance call and our phone bills would get a bit rediculous even using the "10-10" numbers. I feel like the cable is a HUGE luxury and we didn't have it for years, and now we don't know what do with ourselves there is so much to watch If we cut it in the future and hope to keep a good deal on the internet/phone (which is more important to me) I'm not going to cry a river - we were pretty content with just local channels, which includes PBS which I love.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:39 PM

Well, I finally balanced my checkbook- sort of. There's still a $200 discrepancy and I can't figure out whether certain bills I just paid were included in that or not. I did write down every single expense or credit on the account since I stopped keeping track in the middle of March.

I see how I got overdrawn.

I see which overdrafts were my own darn fault, and which ones were due to child support being late (ie, bills that went through and then bounced on the 13th+ are being billed to my ex, the earlier ones are my fault.) I decided to just count on the smaller number from the bank (the available balance vs the total balance) and then subtract any bills not listed from the bank from that lower number. I may actually have more in the bank than I'm counting on, but that's far better than counting on money that isn't there. I left several spaces in my checkbook above where I put the total so I can clean things up later if I need to- it's also a sign to myself that the checkbook balance is kind of wobbly.

It's just so easy, when you've had less than zero in the bank and you finally have 3 months' worth in the bank, it's just so easy to go overboard and overbuy. I've spent a lot of money but I've been careful how I did it- for example, I just paid off my car insurance for the rest of the policy (until August) instead of just paying this months' and last months' (which bounced.) I paid the chiropractor for 2 months (since I have April and May's CS available.) I filled up the gas tank. I paid for some groceries with cash (as opposed to food stamps) because it's getting close to the end of the month, the FS won't cover ALL of the food we want, and I bought some non-food items at the grocery store (exciting stuff like lightbulbs and soap.) I bought 2 sets of ink cartredges for my printer, so we can replace the cartridges and still have an extra set.

I still have a little more stocking up to do- we need band aids, epsom salts, etc, which are cheapest at Target, and while I'm there I'm considering buying an electric mixer which we don't NEED but could certainly use.

I'm down to about $700 of that $2000, but most of my bills are paid- all I'll have to pay in May is the phone bill and fuel for the car, and I won't have to pay any auto insurance at all until August.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 04-30-2007, 12:50 PM

I'm glad you got to catch up Ruthla! I know what that relief feels like I'm going to live variously through you for a moment
Old 04-30-2007, 03:11 PM

Ruthla, if you go into the bank they can sit down with you and help figure out were that money went. I had to do that once when my balance was off and they helped me find where I had made the error. I don't know if all banks do that but Wells Fargo does. Also, do ou do online banking? I love the fact that I can go check my account transactions online and make sure my balance is correct. It also helps if I lose a reciept and forgot how much I paid

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
Old 04-30-2007, 03:14 PM

I wish we had a Trader Joe's around here. There are a few small farmer's markets, nothing big enough to make it worth it for me.

Ruthla, thanks, I've got some questions I'll PM you later. I can understand why thr Feingold Association needs to charge money, I still wish it were free though .
Old 04-30-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneKnight View Post
Tomorrow is my "Friday". I'm starting to wonder why most of the world thinks they should get Sat/Sun off every weekend, but I always have to work. What makes them so special?
I used to work two 16 hour shifts on the weekends and it was weird being opposite of pretty much everyone else.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_bella1050 View Post
Also, do ou do online banking? I love the fact that I can go check my account transactions online and make sure my balance is correct. It also helps if I lose a reciept and forgot how much I paid
We have online banking too, but I still can get messed up because some stores take forever to post. I try to keep a notebook, plus keep all my receipts, and I still manage to mess up.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
I've seen things labeled organic with HFCS
How is HFCS organic??

Sorry for the serial posting
Old 04-30-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseMomme View Post
Not all for naught - all the ymca talk prompted me to look at my local Y's website and sure enough they have an "Access" program I can apply for. I really need excercise (yesterday to my horror I found that last summer's shorts still fit all too well on the upside at least I don't have to buy/find the next size down) and they have Yoga and Pilates classes available. If I get the childcare free too then I wouldn't have to worry about trying to squeeze into dh's crazy work schedule!
I have the application sitting in front of me for assistance for a Y membership. I've been wanting to do it for awhile, mainly for something for dh and I to do together.. and a bit of an escape for me. Maybe a yoga class? And swim time for us as a family. I have to collect our income verification which means I have to go sit at the social security office...which I hate. But hopefully the Y membership with help us out and give us new things to enjoy together.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Old 04-30-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
How is HFCS organic??
HFCS can be organic if the corn is grown without pesticides/chemical fertilizers and isn't a GMO. Also, to be USDA certified, it doesn't have to be 100% organic. I think just 70% of the ingredients must be organic to fit the label, but I could be wrong about the exact amount. Unfortunately, just because something is organic doesn't mean it isn't junk food!
Old 04-30-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_bella1050 View Post
Ruthla, if you go into the bank they can sit down with you and help figure out were that money went. I had to do that once when my balance was off and they helped me find where I had made the error. I don't know if all banks do that but Wells Fargo does. Also, do ou do online banking? I love the fact that I can go check my account transactions online and make sure my balance is correct. It also helps if I lose a reciept and forgot how much I paid
Yeah, I used the online banking stuff to balance my checkbook this morning. Going into the bank is more trouble than it's worth, plus not as private- I don't need other bank customers overhearing my financial woes. I'd rather just do my banking at the kitchen table while DD1 and DS are at school and DD2 is asleep.

Quote:
How is HFCS organic??
I guess they take organically grown corn and process it into HFCS?

I've never personally seen organic HFCS, but I have seen organic corn syrup, which is lower in fructose and not quite as highly processed.

I did some online snooping and saw that I can get swimsuit fabric for about $5-$6 a yard, so that will work out MUCH cheaper than buying a ready-made swimsuit. Now I'm debating if I should buy the actual swimdress pattern for $15 (comes with a swimdress and capri leggings) or try to assemble my own from patterns I already have in the house. It probably pays to buy the pattern (women's sizes S-XL) because I could then make the Small for DD1 and the XL for me (with a little extra room in the bust before cutting out the fabric) and then use the capri pattern with cotton stretch fabric to wear under skirts.

So, for $30 I could buy the pattern plus the fabric, and any additional swimsuits for myself or DD1 would just be the cost of the material. This wouldn't include child sized patterns for DD2, but she doesn't mind wearing a regular swimsuit in public just yet, and by the time she cares she may fit into the Ladies' sized pattern.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
He just paid me for 2 months + some back pay with his tax return. Now that he's working again (starting monday) he should be able to pay child support on time for the foreseeable future!
Yay!!!!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 04-30-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursingnaturalmom View Post
I'm in Milwaukee too, where is this?? I had no idea this could be done!!! Is there a link to look at?
Chandi
Seattle has a program like this, called P-Patch/Community Supported Agriculture: http://www.ppatchtrust.org/index.html

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

Old 05-01-2007, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Ruthla~ I'm glad the suit issue is working its way out. I think you'll make a fine suit for yourself. Awesome about balancing your checkbook. We have actually sworn off on using checks except to pay the rent. We pay by our check card (visa) or cash. it makes balancing so much eaier for us, although I know not everyone can stop using checks especially if you can't pay your utilities close by or in the same town.

Well, just wanted to stop by and give hugs out and let you all know I'm thinking positive thoughts for you all. time to get Kailey up for school.

I'm such a slacker mom, I don't even know when the last day of school is LOL!

Jesse~ I'm crossing my fingers for you that the "access" thing works out for you
Old 05-01-2007, 10:09 AM

Sigh I woke up late to find Dh could not get the car started again and he was already late for work. The manager that is there this morning is write-up happy so even though Dave has called about 5 times to say he'll get there as soon as the car starts, etc...who knows. The last thing he needs is a write up. Just love restaurant job security. : It finally started, and he just left now.

We have to put money into the car. There goes some of the rent, there goes paying the garbage bill. We can't afford for Dh to be in trouble with work b/c of the friggen car. We live far far away so there isn't really a car pool option or anything for us.

Somehow it will work out, right?
Old 05-01-2007, 10:26 AM

Awesome about the Swimsuit. Sewing and I just do not get along at all.

Jessemom-Things will work out. They almost always do somehow Its not fun in the moment though.

Chandi

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
Old 05-01-2007, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Oh Jesse!
This morning I got in the new car and it wouldn't start! But after gassing it for a few seconds it was fine and I stopped once to check on something and had to turn it off and it started without any problems there- so whew! But oh mama how I know the feelings that go along with car stress.

Oh and we just now we able to pay April's rent. Who knows when we can pay for May.

We just had to fork out 125 for the PRAXIS test, and I did not qualify for a waiver

Chandi~ I'll have to echo what you said about it all working out. Somehow right when we think it can't get any worse (and I assure you I know it can) it gets better.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Diva View Post
Ruthla~ I'm glad the suit issue is working its way out. I think you'll make a fine suit for yourself. Awesome about balancing your checkbook. We have actually sworn off on using checks except to pay the rent. We pay by our check card (visa) or cash. it makes balancing so much eaier for us, although I know not everyone can stop using checks especially if you can't pay your utilities close by or in the same town.
Well, when I use my debit card, it comes out of my checking account, and if I don't write down what I've spent, it messes up my checkbook! I actually write very few checks- bills get paid online. The only thing I use checks for is the chiropractor, and I had sent tuition checks to the school but then I changed bank accounts. Fortunately, a friend of mine is paying off my tuition (what I owe from when I wasn't getting CS, bounced check fees, plus what I still owe for the rest of the school year.) She can write it off as charity since she's paying the school directly. I have about a 90% scholarship (meaning I only have to pay 10% of "full tuition") but it was still a struggle when I had nothing coming in.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:18 PM

We have something cool happenning if I already told everyone I am sorry. My husband starts his real estate classes on the 7th. His Grandma is paying for them. I am not looking forward to all the study time that he will need though. Thankfully it will be Summer time so I can take the boys outside lots.

More good news
We found a kitten in our window well the other night and my mom paid for us to take him to the vet, he is just big enough not to need the kitten milk replacement stuff. He looks like our other cat. Ds2 named him Bobcat.

Even more good news
We went to playgroup last week and one of the mommies had a big bag of clothes and shoes for us. My son has a bunch of Baby Gap clothes. And even some brand new shoes. They fit now and I have shoes for the next 6-7 months that I have found before so we won't need to keep buying toddler shoes.

Well we have a thunderstorm in Colorado today and dial-up so I gotta go. I had to post my good news somewhere that would be understood. Hey I think I can say Rain is good too.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel's Kitty View Post
We have something cool happenning
Awesome! I adore getting hand-me-downs too.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytheria View Post
Awesome! I adore getting hand-me-downs too.
Me three- as long as it's stuff my kids will actually wear. It gets tricky with preteen girls, but hand me downs for little kids are great. DS is all set from hand-me-downs except for bathing suits, and I just got him one (trunks with matching top) off ebay, plus an extra bathing suit top to go with one of last year's suits that still fits. This plus the suit from last year and the rash guard from last year means that he has 3 complete sets for swimming. He'll still need a summer hat and sandals but other than that he's totally set for summer. He's also set for next fall, except that he'll need new shoes when he outgrows the ones he has.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:29 PM

We hit Target yesterday and bought Aravine a pair of sandals and casual shoes, three pairs of shorts and three shirts. She's set for the summer now. I'd been checking the Salvation Army but was only finding stained or almost threadbare summer stuff in her size (but lots of great winter wear). I don't mind stains for around the house but she needed a few nicer outfits to wear out. Her winter/spring stuff was bought large, so unless she has a massive growth spurt, she'll be able to wear it again this coming winter.

I need to find a friend my size so I can get some good hand-me-downs for myself. I have a closet full of "not quite right".
Old 05-02-2007, 01:38 AM

Quote:
I need to find a friend my size so I can get some good hand-me-downs for myself. I have a closet full of "not quite right".
Oh man, do I hear ya there.

Everything in my closet is either too big--maternity clothes, flannel shirts from my grunge days in the early 90s, shirts of my husbands that I acquired after they shrunk--or too small. I have lots of nice clothes that I bought when I was working as a receptionist a few years back, but the weight has crept on over my 20s and now none of it fits.

My closet looks full, but every day when I get up I can't find anything I actually want to wear!

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
Old 05-02-2007, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillpicklechip View Post
Oh man, do I hear ya there.

Everything in my closet is either too big--maternity clothes, flannel shirts from my grunge days in the early 90s, shirts of my husbands that I acquired after they shrunk--or too small. I have lots of nice clothes that I bought when I was working as a receptionist a few years back, but the weight has crept on over my 20s and now none of it fits.

My closet looks full, but every day when I get up I can't find anything I actually want to wear!
*sigh* I could have written this post. I was 99 lbs and size 4 when I got pregnant. Now I'm 130. Everything nice I have is too small. To be honest, I'm not even sure what size I wear now. I seem to run between size 8 and 12 depending on the manufacturer, and that's a big spread for guessing. My Salvation Army doesn't have a changing room, so I have to estimate on sizes. My closet is filled with "too big" and "too small". Maybe soon I'll be able to go to a "real store" and find something that actually fits.

Would it be evil of me to go to a store just to try on stuff to get an accurate size?
Old 05-02-2007, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Would it be evil of me to go to a store just to try on stuff to get an accurate size?
No, not evil at all. I do that sort of thing all the time. I also live near a thrift store with no change room and I will wear leggings and a tank and try on things over top right there by the rack.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
Old 05-02-2007, 03:43 AM

I've just started doing laundry more often since I only have 3 pairs of pants that fit I also only have about 6 shirts that fit right. I got a whole new wordrobe last year when I lost a lot of wieght and was down to a size 10 then I got pg and now I'm an 18:. So my closet looks nice and full, but NOTHING fits. I bought a couple of cheap tanks at Old Navy, but my stupid *UA Violation* of a dryer keeps snapping the straps! Looks like I'm going to be doing a lot of line drying, but I have to get new closepins 'cause mine somehow got all moldy:

I totally don't think it's bad to try on clothes to find out your size. If you're embarrased just act like nothing fits right. You can look at the price tag and secretly think to yourself about how your going to get those pants a LOT cheaper elsewhere .

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif

User Tag List