Poor Family Support Tribe- NO DEBATE - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 832 Old 05-05-2007, 06:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jenna~ View Post
I second orangestarfish.com. I got some pretty cheap fuzzi bunz because they were made inside out.

So does anyone else ever just throw their bills in the garbage : :. I was looking at the bills today and there are some I know I just can't pay. One is from the birth center for ds2's birth 20 months ago. I probably should call and make arrangements but I've got so many bills like that, I just get depressed and don't want to deal with it. I know that Dave Ramsey says to just pay whatever, even if it's $5/month and I need to do it, I just can't find the motivation.
: That's me, totally. Few years ago when dh was out of work and our house was going into foreclosure, I just stopped paying everything but food and electricity (more out of sense of panic than anything else). Totally messed up our credit, would not want to suffer those consequences again. However, I also could NOT emotionally handle dealing with calling those people. (It's also karma, I used to work as one of "those people".)

Auto bill payer totally saved me. I just figure out what we can pay, and adjust the bills accordingly. I divide it up by months--six months, twelve months, whatever it takes to get the payment down to an affordable amount, and then it's sort of an unspoken payment plan. If you've got a bill for $57.96, and make a $5 payment, they know you're making an effort but feel the payments might be unreliable. Make a $4.83 payment two months in a row on the same date, and they can do the math and figure out what you're doing.

Granted, one company waited until we had under $80 left and then took us to court for it plus $200 worth of legal billing, saying they were going to garnish my husband's wages, but I filed my counter-paperwork saying they were acting in bad faith because it was obvious we were paying it off at a regular rate and they were just trying to stick us for extra $$. Haven't heard a response back (hope that's a good thing). The irritating bit is, because it was being "settled in court" already BBB and the AG wouldn't touch it.

They were an exception tho, everyone else has seemingly been fine with it. They've stopped calling. Every once in a while something comes up and I have to skip a month it seems okay, I might get a phone call. If a new bill comes in, I re-divide.

Say I've got bills:
$456.23
$63.50
$1081.
$284.47

and I can afford about $50 a month.
I set up bill-payer to pay these amnts the day after the first payday of the month:
12.67 on the $456.23 (3yrs)
$5.29 on the 63.50 (1yr) (I try not to go below $5)
$22.52 on the $1081 (4yrs)
$11.85 on the $284.47 (2yrs)

(All mine are medical bills, if they were cc I'd organize by interest rates too.) I like it psychologically, because you're not starting with "$5 per bill" adding all that up and getting depressed b/c you can't even afford that, you're STARTING with what you can afford to pay, and getting things organized to pay them. AND not dealing with those people who's job it is to ruin your self-esteem. It feels SO great to finish and say I'm paying on my bills!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#362 of 832 Old 05-05-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josybear View Post
35-45$ will get you one heck of a great diaper stash, if you go about it right. dipes are like mama cloth... expensive up front, but much, much cheaper in the long run. or even in the short run.
my town has a low-income credit union. I was thinking of approaching them with the idea of teaming up with a cloth diaper retailer and a local rancher and appliance store and organizing pre-planned micro-credit loans.

So you could buy a stash of diapers (hopefully find a retailer, maybe local, willing to offer a discount in exchange for more business directed their way) and pay for them in a monthly amount equivalent to buying disposable.

Same thing for purchasing a freezer (if needed) and a half or whole cow from a local rancher. Pay it off in increments similar to that portion of the food budget. I thought since they're working with the local food co-op, maybe there'd be a way to work it where you make it two separate loans (freezer and meat) and the principal on the portion of the loan that's for the meat could be paid with food stamps.

What do you think?
#363 of 832 Old 05-05-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gendenwitha View Post
my town has a low-income credit union. I was thinking of approaching them with the idea of teaming up with a cloth diaper retailer and a local rancher and appliance store and organizing pre-planned micro-credit loans.

So you could buy a stash of diapers (hopefully find a retailer, maybe local, willing to offer a discount in exchange for more business directed their way) and pay for them in a monthly amount equivalent to buying disposable.

Same thing for purchasing a freezer (if needed) and a half or whole cow from a local rancher. Pay it off in increments similar to that portion of the food budget. I thought since they're working with the local food co-op, maybe there'd be a way to work it where you make it two separate loans (freezer and meat) and the principal on the portion of the loan that's for the meat could be paid with food stamps.

What do you think?

that's a brilliant, amazing, wonderful idea. you're a genius.
#364 of 832 Old 05-05-2007, 10:25 PM

I thought you all might appreciate this...

I snagged this $100 truck http://www.littletikes.com/toys/toys...Product+Search for $10.00 at a yard sale.

{{{{{{{{{{{hugs for all}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Resistance is futile Matey
#365 of 832 Old 05-05-2007, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It turns out my ex didn't get that new job after all.

He did get two days worth of pay though, for Orientation on Monday and Tuesday.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#366 of 832 Old 05-05-2007, 11:40 PM

That sucks Ruthla!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

#367 of 832 Old 05-05-2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
It turns out my ex didn't get that new job after all.

He did get two days worth of pay though, for Orientation on Monday and Tuesday.
That sucks!! What happened? Hopefully he will get another job soon.
#368 of 832 Old 05-06-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jenna~ View Post
That sucks!! What happened? Hopefully he will get another job soon.
He showed up for Orientation on Monday. On Tuesday he showed up for work, and when they read the attendance list, his name wans't included. Then they took him aside privately and told him that his driving record wasn't clean enough (this is for a truck driving job) because he had a few minor accidents when his CDL was brand new 2-3 years ago. So he got paid for the 2 days but he doesn't have a permenant job.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#369 of 832 Old 05-06-2007, 02:40 PM
WNB

Mamas,

I'm sure there are weeks and months when you wonder how the heck you are going to make it, and times when you are sure that everything is against you. There is no way for someone who has always had all they need financially to understand the emotional drain that such constant stress, even fear, can take on someone.

So please take this post as one of unabashed support for all the minor miracles you perform each month to stretch from one paycheck to the next. You are inspiring your kids with your strength and resourcefulness.

(ps ... i hope you get some mod support to move this back to FYT)
#370 of 832 Old 05-06-2007, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Oh Ruthla! That sucks and I feel bad for your x

WNB- thank you.

And thsi not spending money is so hard. I'm so paranoid about money now. I am sure it will get better, but garsh!

Tomorrow is the start of the big job hunting week. I've applied for two different positions at Food Lion, will return an application I filled out a few days ago and will go to a place that is hiring for cashiers (but is at a gas station- kind scared but have done it before).

I'm excited but not.

Oh and there is a position at the library through the ECS but it is full time and I don't know how comfy I feel about accepting a job when I will have to leave next semester, unless I can figure out how to work after school and just tell them my schedule might change. but my major is English Ed so maybe they will think that is a plus?

Wish me luck.
#371 of 832 Old 05-06-2007, 05:38 PM

I sooo need this thread right now, the last 2 years of our lives resemble a lifetime made for tv movie My x was an aweful husband, I got my GED before I had ds#1 and went back to school around his 1st birthday. I spent the next 3 years in the local CC then transfered to CWU (having dd in the meantime). I was doing SO well, 3.6GPA was admitted to the business school and majoring in accounting. I had ds#2 in Feb. of 05, in May of 05 my ex was arrested for something that happened in 95 that had just come out and thankfully we haven't seen him since. But because I had been going to school, I hadn't been working and I have no work experience, I got sick that summer and had to undergo radiation treatment and I had to drop out of school (lack of money and child care) I started working at the local Value Village in Sept. 05 but I wasn't well enough I guess because I ended up in the hospital and lost my job. I cannot take hormonal birth control and as you can tell other methods are not really working for me, charting doesn't do me much good because I have thyroid problems and my cycles are a mess, I am way to fertile (please don't hug me, I'll get pregnant) At the time the doctor wouldn't give me a tubal because I wasn't 25 yet. It was around that time I started dating my current dp, we are engaged now but he doesn't actually live w/ us because we have housing assistance. I gave birth to ds#3 in Sept. of 06. Ds#2 has develpmental delays, he doesn't have a dx yet but he most likely has autism. Now I am juggling speech therapy, occupational therapy, endless Dr. appointment and referrals. I got a ticket for not having insurance, I couldn't pay it (if I had that kind of money I would have had insurance!) so now my license is suspended: Going back to work is so impossible right now since my childcare needs are so extensive (4 openings, taking ds1 to school, working w/ ds2's special needs ect...) It is impossible. I have no family help, most of my family live out of state, I have very little support here at all aside from my dp. I am so overwhelmed and humiliated all the time. I would love nothing more then to get on my feet and get out of this system. I feel like we are in this giant hole that we can never get out of. I do everything I can to save money, cd (which is just gerber prefolds and gerber vinal pants), I make my own cleaners and laundry soap, I plan the grocery shopping carefully, we use freecycle alot) My bff maintains the internet connection for me because he is great and knows I would go nuts without it. I hate hate hate being in poverty, I am so desperate to get out of this mess.
#372 of 832 Old 05-06-2007, 07:51 PM

faerierose- i hope things get better for you soon. that all sounds so hard.

pd - libraries are generally good about encouraging people to become educated, i know several people who have worked for the library who have gotten great hours that worked around school. just work your arse off while you're there and prove they need you, and hopefully they'll do what it takes to be able to keep you!

i am bummed because we're out of soymilk for ds, fruits & veggies, lentils and oats. i have oatmeal for almost 1/2 my meals and we eat tons of lentils... i get paid friday, so i guess we'll just be creative until then. but the soymilk thing sucks, ds needs it... i might try making some, we ahve a bag of soybeans in the cupboard.
#373 of 832 Old 05-06-2007, 07:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
He showed up for Orientation on Monday. On Tuesday he showed up for work, and when they read the attendance list, his name wans't included. Then they took him aside privately and told him that his driving record wasn't clean enough (this is for a truck driving job) because he had a few minor accidents when his CDL was brand new 2-3 years ago. So he got paid for the 2 days but he doesn't have a permenant job.
Shouldn't they have checked that out BEFORE hiring him? It's just terrible to get someone's hopes up like that.

Something similar happened to DH last fall when he was let go from his job. He found another job right away, went in for the hair follicle drug test, and started work. They came up to him in the middle of his shift and told him that he couldn't work there because he didn't pass the drug test. For Vicodin. That he had a prescription for. That he told them was in his system when he took the test. It was a factory that I worked at before and that wanted me back, but there's no way I'm every going back if they're going treat people that badly.

Some employers suck.
#374 of 832 Old 05-06-2007, 09:32 PM

Subbing...I think I fit in here.

Mama to:Ben (12), Natalie (9), Zoe (5)

#375 of 832 Old 05-07-2007, 12:16 AM

faerierose... Hello! I saw you over on the unschooler thread too!

I have some smaller CD's (which were given to me too... not the fanciest and well loved but still good) and if they would work for you I would send them to you. What size are you needing?

#376 of 832 Old 05-07-2007, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thystle View Post
faerierose... Hello! I saw you over on the unschooler thread too!

I have some smaller CD's (which were given to me too... not the fanciest and well loved but still good) and if they would work for you I would send them to you. What size are you needing?
Oh that would be so nice. I don't know what size though because I've never used fitteds or aio diapers. Ds2 (he's 2) is only about 23 pounds and he has a small waist and skinny thighs (He has some medical and development problems, I swear he isn't under fed Ds3 is about 20 lbs now and is sooo chubby I got a ton of fabric from freecycle and I'm working on making some clothe wipes and mamma clothes :-) I've never been so crafty before, I'm loving it.
And yes...unschooling, we love it. We decided since I can't really go back to work or school right now that we would homeschool and it was definitely the right choice for us. I'm hoping to finish my AA, I transfered to the university 5 credits short of my AA. I'm one crappy class away from my degree and the only reason I haven't gotten it yet is $$$. It's an elective too! uggg. Eventually I want to start a home business, well that's my current pipe dream anyway
#377 of 832 Old 05-07-2007, 05:36 PM

OK, I just got a letter from my car insurance company telling me that my payment bounced and my policy will be cancelled on May 11th if I don't pay.

WTF??? I have money in my account. I paid the whole damn thing off, until August.

OK, it's all straghtened out. It seems they had my old bank account on file, and the payment was refused because the account is closed! It's all fixed now, I paid it over the phone, but the whole mess cost me an extra $20.

#378 of 832 Old 05-07-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gendenwitha View Post
That is such a good idea. You'll have to let us know how it works out. It's so hard to save up the money to buy the things that will save you money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faerierose View Post
I sooo need this thread right now, the last 2 years of our lives resemble a lifetime made for tv movie I hate hate hate being in poverty, I am so desperate to get out of this mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josybear View Post
i am bummed because we're out of soymilk for ds, fruits & veggies, lentils and oats. i have oatmeal for almost 1/2 my meals and we eat tons of lentils... i get paid friday, so i guess we'll just be creative until then. but the soymilk thing sucks, ds needs it... i might try making some, we ahve a bag of soybeans in the cupboard.
Do you have any places that you can get emergency food? We have a place here where the grocery stores give their slightly outdated fruits/veggies, bread, etc. and you get a grocery bag or two and get to go around and pick out what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sweeties1Angel View Post
Shouldn't they have checked that out BEFORE hiring him? It's just terrible to get someone's hopes up like that.
You would think they would find that out before spending the money to pay him for two days and spend the money on training :.

Quote:
Something similar happened to DH last fall when he was let go from his job. He found another job right away, went in for the hair follicle drug test, and started work. They came up to him in the middle of his shift and told him that he couldn't work there because he didn't pass the drug test. For Vicodin. That he had a prescription for. That he told them was in his system when he took the test.
I had that happen to me when I applied at a job at the sheriffs office. They really wanted to hire me too. They even had me take a lie detector test. I guess maybe I didn't pass because they didn't give me the job :.
#379 of 832 Old 05-07-2007, 06:33 PM

Ruthla I'm sorry about your ex's job And the car insurance, holy cow. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sweeties1angel
Some employers suck.
yeah that! I could write a book about Dh's former employers. We laugh about some of it now, only because it's better than beating a dead horse.

faerierose, Glad you found us

And I agree, this thread really belongs in FYT. Yeah we're here because of financial situations (that are ongoing) but it's about so much more than just money and I think this summed it up well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNB
There is no way for someone who has always had all they need financially to understand the emotional drain that such constant stress, even fear, can take on someone.
#380 of 832 Old 05-08-2007, 12:01 AM

I need ideas. a little backstory, I was hit by a car in 1996, I bit the pavement and broke/cracked most of my teeth (I was 14). Only the biggest most visible problems got fixed because my ua violation dad thought the insurance paperwork was a pita: Now after 10+ years and 4 pregnancies my teeth are shot. It is horribly embarrassing and most doctors and social workers assume I do or have done drugs because of it. I am having a HUGE problem w/ this. I currently have medical/dental coverage through the state, every dentist I have seen says I need to pull them all and get dentures, I am in a constant state of infection and it's only a matter of time before it spreads to my brain or heart (says the dentist as he shows me the door) but there is nobody that will treat me. I have to go to a place that does sedation, I have ptsd from the accident, I have SEVERE panic attacks anytime a tool goes anywhere near my teeth and this is not something I can control. I have looked for months and there isn't anywhere in this @#$#@ state that can/will do the surgery: I have no idea what to do, this would cost thousands of $$$ to pay for myself, I don't have a hope in hell of coming up w/ the money. I don't know what to do, I'm gonna die of stupid broken teeth because I have no money
#381 of 832 Old 05-08-2007, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I need ideas. a little backstory, I was hit by a car in 1996, I bit the pavement and broke/cracked most of my teeth (I was 14). Only the biggest most visible problems got fixed because my ua violation dad thought the insurance paperwork was a pita: Now after 10+ years and 4 pregnancies my teeth are shot. It is horribly embarrassing and most doctors and social workers assume I do or have done drugs because of it. I am having a HUGE problem w/ this. I currently have medical/dental coverage through the state, every dentist I have seen says I need to pull them all and get dentures, I am in a constant state of infection and it's only a matter of time before it spreads to my brain or heart (says the dentist as he shows me the door) but there is nobody that will treat me. I have to go to a place that does sedation, I have ptsd from the accident, I have SEVERE panic attacks anytime a tool goes anywhere near my teeth and this is not something I can control. I have looked for months and there isn't anywhere in this @#$#@ state that can/will do the surgery: I have no idea what to do, this would cost thousands of $$$ to pay for myself, I don't have a hope in hell of coming up w/ the money. I don't know what to do, I'm gonna die of stupid broken teeth because I have no money

I just had teeth pulled under GA, any dentist that takes Medicaid should be able to refer you to an oral surgeon that pulls teeth under GA AND takes Medicaid.

Seriously?
#382 of 832 Old 05-08-2007, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
I just had teeth pulled under GA, any dentist that takes Medicaid should be able to refer you to an oral surgeon that pulls teeth under GA AND takes Medicaid.
I have been shoved in circles for almost a year now. I have spoken to surgeons, state officials, referral agencies, and the hospitals and universities. Nobody is taking new patients with medicaid within the next year. I will only have this coverage for a few more months.
#383 of 832 Old 05-08-2007, 01:13 AM

Quote:
I don't know what to do, I'm gonna die of stupid broken teeth because I have no money
I get my dental work done at the local college. Is that an option for you? They don't take Medicaid, but may be willing to work with you for some sort of payment plan.

State dental coverage is a joke. There was a boy a while back that ended up dying because his state dental wouldn't cover the work he needed. It made national news, and I was hopeful that something would be done so this wouldn't happen again- of course nothing has changed. It really seems like the poorer a family is, the less anyone cares. What a damn shame.
#384 of 832 Old 05-08-2007, 03:47 AM

faerierose~ Around here, there is some kind of volunteer church-affiliated group that dentists will help un-insured. I know they pull teeth. Maybe ask around church-ish circles?

Quote:
State dental coverage is a joke.
AMEN. My dad worked for the state, not just some kind of benefit program, he actually WORKED for the state and we never had dental insurance growing up. Oh they would pay, like $20 towards a cleaning and you had to cover the rest. That was what they called "insurance".
Then what they do give you is sh*t.
DH had some dental work done while he was in the state's care as a child, so they had to cover it. We have had a dentist and a specialist both tell us how horrible of job was done on him. We are having to get it all redone.....er....if/when we get dental insurance.
I personally think we should somehow be able to pull up those records and legally make the state pay for redoing it, but we don't have the $$ for the legal work.
#385 of 832 Old 05-08-2007, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytheria View Post
I get my dental work done at the local college. Is that an option for you?
Where in WA state are you?

*UW has a fearful patient dental program.

*My friend just had her daughter's teeth done (Medicaid, panic attacks, full sedation) I'll ask her about it.

*I'm in school to be a hypnotherapist and need people to practice with. If you're interested I'd be happy to try to help you.

*Have you tried 1-800-DENTIST? I found someone that did sedation and non-mercury fillings through them.

*Write your congressman. No, seriously, I've heard that some of those congressional aids can work miracles. (Of course it's just to get good press then it's back to same old same old, but there was a front-page story on dental health in the Seattle Times not to long ago, so somebody might want to make points with voters.)
#386 of 832 Old 05-08-2007, 09:57 PM

faerierose... it sounds like your babes are close to the same size as mine, so my small cd's might not work so well. I will go through them and see if I can find any for that size.

Teeth... if you want to go full out, try contacting the news stations and the papers and tell them your story. If it gets printed I am sure many people would pop up!

Dental schools can sometimes help.

Any charity... try them all. The Catholic Charities offer one time assistance and you don't need to be Catholic. It can't hurt to try!

{{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}}}}

#387 of 832 Old 05-08-2007, 11:34 PM

I would try contacting the Red Cross maybe, I know that they have a program called The Gift of Sight so maybe they have something for dental. I would also try contacting your social worker.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#388 of 832 Old 05-09-2007, 12:01 AM

Well, I stopped in a few places today because showing up in person tends to yield better results then calling. I talked my doctor into giving me the rx for antibiotics, she isn't supposed to because it's a dental problem (insurance crap) she had to say I had a sinus infection. I found a surgeon in Snohomish that might help, he will take the medicaid but they won't cover it all so I have a consultation with him next week to find out what it will cost.
Thank you for all the suggestions, the University of WA has a 6+ month waiting list for the oral surgery department: I won't have coverage then. If things don't work out w/ this surgeon I will start calling the charities and places you all have suggested. Thank you again, this is really hard for me to talk about because it's just super embarrassing I know things will be alot better once it's done.
#389 of 832 Old 05-09-2007, 12:06 AM

Get on that waiting list anyways... you don't know where you will be in 6 months and you can always pass on it when the times comes.

But then again in 6 months it might really help!

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#390 of 832 Old 05-09-2007, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thystle View Post
Get on that waiting list anyways... you don't know where you will be in 6 months and you can always pass on it when the times comes.

But then again in 6 months it might really help!

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Very true, my dentist is faxing the paperwork over to them tomorrow morning so they can put my on the list.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page