Poor Family Support Tribe- NO DEBATE - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-17-2007, 12:53 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm completely stupid when it comes to math. I'm on my second try at an algebra class : so I'm sure I'd fail the math portion, too. Math was what kept me from getting a higher score on my ACTs in high school. I hate math.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2007, 01:46 AM

Math is my best friend, love it. I spent 2 quarters as a math major on a dorm floor with all women planning to be teachers (except for me) providing round the clock tutoring services for these future teachers. If you lived nearby, I would offer to tutor you. Since we are basically in the opposite ends of the US, that is out but I will try and come back and post some links to good study materials. If you post the sort of math that tripped you up, I can give you some specific tips and tricks.

You can study up and pass the math test. You WILL pass the math test.

Some tips: think about how you best learned the materials on the sections you did not pass. Model that to learning the math, be it a tutoring center, reading and notetaking, note cards/flashcards etc. Consider seeing a counselor at your school about test anxiety. I can not stress enough that fear of math is what trips people up most on math tests. Some schools have resources to work with students on test fear or math tricks.

Figure out what exact portion(s) is tripping you up (be it using fractions, logs, algebra, word problems) and tackle that first and furious.

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneKnight View Post
I don't really feel bad because we are poor. I guess I don't feel what you are trying to say in the first part of your post.
For example, what really got me was calling for a dentist appt. for my son and realizing how long overdue they were for an exam. I felt like such a bad person that they hadn't been sooner, (and yeah, I suppose I could have prioritized better, and my dentistry phobia played a big part too). But just my association with a "good" parent wouldn't let this happen and how I feel so much better about myself as a parent that I'm now able to take care of this sort of thing now.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Genden~ I completely relate to what ou are saying! Those ideals I have on what a good parent would or would not do really suck! Sometimes they rue me, ya know?

I learn best by doing (yeay John Dewey!) so learning math will work best with repetition. I started practicing linear equations last night (they stump m up) and also doing some other geometry stuff. I have lgebra done pat I scored a 168 on math, so missed the cut off by 5 points. I scored a 178 on the reading so just passed by 5 points. I didn't study the reading at all because I didn't think I would have any problems. I'm irritated at myself now.

You mamas have been so supportive and it's been really nice.

Off to take Kailey to school.

Today I'm going to Animal Control to collect dog bite stats
Old 05-17-2007, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I'm glad you're feeling better PD.

I'm glad you don't have to wait a whole year to retake the test and you've got a good shot at taking all your classes next semester as planned. Will it cost you anything to retake the math portion?
Thanks Ruth. I think each separate portion is like 60-65 dollars? And I found out you can take the test SIX times a year- geez. I have a sucky advisor.

The good thing is, I talked to a friend about my 419 and 300 classes and she made a very good point. If I was able to register for those classes without a flag being raised becausse I was not admitted into the School of Education before that class, it isn't my fault. If there was a required she said they should have flagged the class like thy are supposed to. So, I'm keeping the class whether I am admitted or not and I won't say a thing
Old 05-17-2007, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just answered the phone (ok so we are taking our time getting ready for school) and it was someone from the School of Education!!!!

She said that I needed a COMBINED score of 522!!!!!! I have a 346 right now so I only need a 176 for the writing portion (no scores in yet)!!!! So when they open at 8 I'm going to call and order the score (I'm so impatient!) and see if I got it. How can I NOT get a 176 on the writing (you have to choose sentence structure and then write an essay- my essay was 6 nice paragraphs) the topic was the "growing use of technology in the classroom and whether it was a benefit or not" I gave both sides because I think they can be both a benefit and a distraction.

Oy how things change so fast Who said that here?
Old 05-17-2007, 10:17 AM

My Dad used to say "Math is your friend" and "Math is in everything. I had to really really work at it in high school.

PD I'm glad it just may work out!
Old 05-17-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gendenwitha View Post
For example, what really got me was calling for a dentist appt. for my son and realizing how long overdue they were for an exam. I felt like such a bad person that they hadn't been sooner, (and yeah, I suppose I could have prioritized better, and my dentistry phobia played a big part too). But just my association with a "good" parent wouldn't let this happen and how I feel so much better about myself as a parent that I'm now able to take care of this sort of thing now.
Ah I guess I don't have that connection. For example, I haven't been to the dentist since I was 14 and had braces put on. I don't think my mom was a bad parent for not taking me more, and I certainly don't guilt trip myself for not going now that I'm grown. I guess it has to do with your own feelings, but since you explained I can see where you are coming from.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:17 PM

While I was in the middle of stuff I heard the phone ring and couldn't get it...then checked the messages. It was the lady who gets the rent off of us and she sounded a little more than pissed off, saying things like " This is B...calling you AGAIN" (first time I was aware of!!!!). I was supposed to call her and tell her we had more rent money but forgot. I finished what I was doing and called her back and I got to have an earful about how we are always late and it can't be tolerated anymore and starting July they are going to charge $50 if we are late the first week and an then $100 more if we are still late by the second week. And that she was sick of "chasing us" ( I don't call one time when we have money and all of a sudden that's "chasing us") We have to sign something about our "new late payment agreement".

The late payment agreement in our lease is $5/a day but they haven't charged us with it so I felt like I couldn't argue it, yk?

I try to appreciate the position she is in, but at the same time I wanted to say "we are doing the best we can - you get ALL of our money as it is - thank you for making me feel like shit" -click. I didn't and FINALLY the conversation ends and I'm in tears.

Sorry to hear that happened to you. Hang in there and keep doing what you can about the rent. In my first "real" job, I had to make collection calls to businesses, and it was no fun having to ask people for the money they owe.

I'd encourage you to do what you can and keep communicating with your apartment manager (or whomever is doing the collecting), so they know that you are trying. Partial payments show that you are making an effort. Do whatever possible to not forget, and try to communicate to them in advance if you know you are going to be late, and when you can get the money to them, if you know when.

I think it makes some difference if you show you are trying and seem approachable and proactive (you call them before they have to call you). It sounds like you have been trying to work with them and have been nice. However, if they are seeing a track record of lateness, it gets to be a big hassle for them. It takes extra time and energy for them to have to collect, so anything you can do to initiate communication is good. If you call and say, I've got $x now and $y later, it's better than them having no clue what's going on with you and then feeling like they have to do the work of making contact. I even think that good communication would make a difference for references down the road, even if the payments aren't perfectly on time each month.

Some people are just mean when dealing with people with money problems, and that sucks. You don't deserve that. At the same time, they are owed money and they need to know if they are going to get paid and when. Calling late payers is likely part of the manger's job description.

Good luck finding more affordable housing, it makes sense to look around at your options and see if something else will work better for you.

Lastly, you may want to revisit your original late payment terms and skip the "new" terms. Because $5 a day is only $35 a week vs. $50 a week in fees (and it only goes up $5 a day vs $50 at the 7 day mark). See if you can still have the old terms. You have been getting by w/o the fees, but it's worth asking about keeping the lower fees.

Hugs and good luck!
Old 05-17-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBecks View Post
Lastly, you may want to revisit your original late payment terms and skip the "new" terms. Because $5 a day is only $35 a week vs. $50 a week in fees. See if you can still have the old terms. You have been getting by w/o the fees, but it's worth asking about keeping the lower fees.

Hugs and good luck!
I think, and I promise I'm not trying to talk for you Jesse , that the problem is that they are giving what they can each week--so frequently the month's rent isn't paid until the end of the month.

Which at $5/day would be a heck of a lot of $$

Either way is pretty rotten though

getting closer to dh's job would be awesome tho

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
Old 05-17-2007, 11:14 PM

I'm so mad I just want to cry!!! Why do people hate poor people so much??? Do they think we are just a bunch of lazy idiots?? Why do they say things like poor people shouldn't have kids??

I was talking to my best friend and was complaining to her that my brother was being a jerk to me. He gets mad that we get foodstamps and Medicaid because we are "forcibly taking his hard earned money away". And she agrees with him! She says it's not fair that she has to work and have her money taken away and I get a bunch of free stuff. Why are people so hateful? Why is it okay for kids to go hungry and not have medical care? Are we really that selfish in this country?

Sorry for the rant, but it just makes me ill. The gov't is wasting sooo much money on a million other things, why pick on poor people?
Old 05-17-2007, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

So i thought this type of thread wasn't ok in FYT? Hrm...
Old 05-17-2007, 11:52 PM

I met with the surgeon today, he said it will take 2 surgery's and $3300: I'm so upset right now I don't even want to think about it.

On another note, if any of you need help with math pm me. I'm a total nerd, love math and got A's up through calculus, I'd be glad to help.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jenna~ View Post
I'm so mad I just want to cry!!! Why do people hate poor people so much??? Do they think we are just a bunch of lazy idiots?? Why do they say things like poor people shouldn't have kids??

I was talking to my best friend and was complaining to her that my brother was being a jerk to me. He gets mad that we get foodstamps and Medicaid because we are "forcibly taking his hard earned money away". And she agrees with him! She says it's not fair that she has to work and have her money taken away and I get a bunch of free stuff. Why are people so hateful? Why is it okay for kids to go hungry and not have medical care? Are we really that selfish in this country?

Sorry for the rant, but it just makes me ill. The gov't is wasting sooo much money on a million other things, why pick on poor people?

That is awful. I say find a new best friend. : I used to tell people that maybe non-students were sick of paying for their student loans, that bike riders were sick of paying for highways for car commuters etc. Heck, that people whose houses don't burn down think it is unfair that they pay for fire stations. It does not take the logic of a 10 year old to see that your brother's and friend's logic breaks down- besides do they really want the alternative of a world without some sort of safety net? I am not by definition a low income person any longer but I am GLAD that we have some social welfare programs and wish we had many times more in the way of funding. Someday perhaps your brother or friend will need a helping hand and see how mean they have been. They are welcome to their opinion but they really have no right to shove it in your face. How rude! :

Old 05-18-2007, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijip View Post
Someday perhaps your brother or friend will need a helping hand and see how mean they have been. They are welcome to their opinion but they really have no right to shove it in your face. How rude! :
Some people need reminding that just because they have a lot of "stuff" in their lives, or a lot of spending money today doesn't mean that they will still be smooth sailing if their money earner looses the job. Even people who think they are better off, middle class earners still really live one paycheck away from the local shelter. I don't understand how more money makes you better than everyone else :
Old 05-18-2007, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneKnight View Post
Some people need reminding that just because they have a lot of "stuff" in their lives, or a lot of spending money today doesn't mean that they will still be smooth sailing if their money earner looses the job. Even people who think they are better off, middle class earners still really live one paycheck away from the local shelter. I don't understand how more money makes you better than everyone else :
Yup. Most people spouting off that kind of anti-poor rhetoric could easily be in the same position, in 2-8 weeks, with an emergency like a job loss or illness. I grew up on welfare and when people start saying negative things about social programs, I let them have it on the guilt trip. It is pretty similar to those who think since they don't have kids in school or they don't use the library that we don't need schools or libraries, only it is more discriminatory and mean spirited. There are so many people who seem to think that being poor is easy or getting benefits is free, without first hand knowledge of the causes of poverty or the reality of living in poverty.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jenna~ View Post

I know how you feel. I get so angry when people say things like that, implying (or flat out stating) that poor people are stupid and lazy. PBS ran a show on class structures in America about a year ago, and it stated that class (and therefore income) was the last "ism" against which it was ok to be prejudiced. It was a fascinating show, I wish I could remember the name of it.

I've dealt with the "poor = stupid" comments more times than I care to count. Once I got so ticked off I took my Mensa card out of my wallet and asked the man if *he* was smart enough to recognize it. I'll always treasure the look on his face when he realized what it was. Since I'm not stupid, I must just be lazy!

I wish I had some good advice on what to say to people like your brother and friend, but nothing other than being there themselves is likely to change their minds. Maybe remind them that the average American family is only two paychecks away from homelessness?

(Mark's computer broke this weekend, so he's been using mine, which is why I've not been posting. I just got a chance to read everything and try to catch up. Hopefully I'll be "back" soon.)
Old 05-18-2007, 06:39 AM

The late payment agreement in our lease is $5/a day but they haven't charged us with it so I felt like I couldn't argue it, yk?

Whoa! If the late payment agreement in your lease is $5 a day, they can't change that until your lease expires. A lease works both ways, kwim?

I dealt with this the last place I rented...we paid electricity but not water. Halfway through our lease, the property was sold. The new owner wanted to charge for water (using a bizarre system in which the total usage for the complex was divided by the number of people SUPPOSEDLY living in each unit, which left us all unfairly subsidizing their landscaping/laundry room/swimming pool water usage). Many of us refused to pay it until our current leases expired. They threated to kick us out, but we contacted the Houston Apartment Association and they were told they had to follow the lease.

Of course as soon as the lease expired, it was a matter of "sign the new lease and accept our new policy, or leave." But my point is this: if it's in your lease, they can't just change it when they feel like it.

Now, humiliating and demeaning you...that, they can get away with. :

Holly

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

Old 05-18-2007, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have to wonder one thing about all these people who are so hateful about gov't programs. I know that the gov't "poverty line" is way too low, and many people just above that line still need services, but aren't getting them. I wonder if many of the people who are the most hateful are the ones who "should be" getting services as well, but aren't. So they're struggling, they're not getting help, and they're resentful to those who are getting help because they're truly not in a position to be helping others.

That, or they're just completely clueless about what it's like to be poor. Maybe they don't realize that, after taxes, they're still better off than somebody getting Food Stamps.

I do wish Medicaid was expanded into a National Health Care program that covered all American citizens and legal aliens (and I'd like to see all illegal aliens become legal aliens so then everybody would be covered!!)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 05-18-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Diva View Post
So i thought this type of thread wasn't ok in FYT? Hrm...
It is now, appearantly.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
I think, and I promise I'm not trying to talk for you Jesse , that the problem is that they are giving what they can each week--so frequently the month's rent isn't paid until the end of the month.

Which at $5/day would be a heck of a lot of $$

Either way is pretty rotten though

getting closer to dh's job would be awesome tho
That's ok

I have decided, that although I personally feel like "we dont' deserve it" (I feel we DO deserve it but I mean in their eyes), I'm going to stand down the new late fee "offer"/order and ask to stick to the lease. Our lease is valid until the end of Sept. btw. What do I have to lose here but more money

Actually the underlined sums it up...we give what we can out of each paycheck (almost all of it) and the rent is not "paid in full" until the third or last week or the month and then we have to start all over again.

This is scary...if they turn us down about the lease, then we just can't afford this period and will have to leave, but to where? WIth what money saved up? All of our tax refund went to these guys already. I'd be loathed to ask to borrow money, from my dad, who'd be the only one who would let me borrow money - but I'd never hear the end of it and he himself just doled out for taxes so I know he's tight right now anyways. (cringe just thinking about it) I can't ask him. He helped me pay off my school loan when things were tight and he's sunk a couple thousand into our car for us so we'd have something reliable for transportation...if anything I'd ask him for money for the car repairs before it gets worse.

Kbecks has a point, it would be cheaper for us to talk them into the old terms than to sign and agree to the new ones. Maybe I'm totally pessimistic now adays, but it's like they know we will be chronically late now so they are just taking atvantage of that by coming up with "tough" late fees, in an "effort to get us to not be late". It really feels like we are being punished, and they would really rather us just leave. FTR, they really have gotten almost all of our money that we have made, almost as soon as we've made it, and honestly the whole "sick of chasing you down" bit shocked me because she does call a lot, however I have always called her back promptly, and I usually call right away as soon as I have money in my pocket that is substantial enough to be worth a trip over here to her.

I see no point in calling on a Tuesday to say "Well, you know payday is Friday, but I dont' know if Dh will have a chance to cash his check on that day, and maybe not on Saturday, but maybe he will, I don't know, he may have to work straight through until Sunday night and then I won't have the money until Monday afternoon." I don't like to call people and say "I don't know" - it's rather pointless to me.

Starting last Thursday the toddler got sick and by Sunday night everyone was sick and I was so tired I coudln't see straight and the other day that is what I get "sick of chasing you down!" on the evening that I myself got sick.

Well the only way we can make an effort of not being late is if they would stop cutting dh's hours at work : They schedule him overtime which would be wonderful but then they cut it b/c they have to worry about labor hours.

I did pick up a babysitting gig but I am not charging a lot of money at the moment. Two days into it (babysitting) and it hasn't been bad at all but when both twins are awake at the same time that gets pretty challenging, so I'm thinking of asking for 50 cents more hr/ until the mom gets things in order with DSS. The money I make will be extra to go towards bills, since we really haven't had much extra for bills at all. TBH most extra cash we have goes into the gas tank so dh can drive back and forth to work.

As it stands now, our phone/internet bill is going to be due again shortly, we owe about $240 to the electric/gas, the car still needs work and now it's "making a noise" as of last night, and I'm still dealing with collection calls for piddly debts (like, $40 and whatnot).
/vent

Oh, and I'm still finding that to move closer to where Dh works, the average rents for smaller places than we have now (not that I mind smaller, just to give an idea of how market rates are) are more expensive. We're in a rather cheap county, depending on what town you are in or if you are in a extremely rural setting, even cheaper...it's the case with the next county over where Dh works but the throwback to changing counties is to have to go through the whole DSS ordeals again.

We definately have to move from this house, that is for sure. We just can't keep up and the BILs aren't helping enough, even the ones that have made a consistant effort - they just dont' make enough.

After all of that and, ahem, certain other discussions here, I'm just totally bummed out that we can barely keep things going, and that has been with gov't help. I guess I should not let how other people feel affect how I feel, since it's really a reflection of how crappy I feel about our whole situation...wonder if that made sense.

Ok the kids need me.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:16 PM

No concrete advice but plenty of sympathy for your situation.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:07 PM

hrmmm

what if you found a more reliable roommate situation?
You are around enough colleges over there to maybe have a student for a roommate?

If you can find someone who is from a large family and isn't going to panic over kid chaos, it could work well.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
hrmmm

what if you found a more reliable roommate situation?
You are around enough colleges over there to maybe have a student for a roommate?

If you can find someone who is from a large family and isn't going to panic over kid chaos, it could work well.
: We live in a college town. I just haven't fancied a college kid trying to study in their room with the noise and chaos my house is usually in...but maybe there would be people out there who wouldn't mind, or could study, etc at the college library or whatnot...
Old 05-18-2007, 01:52 PM

I'm confused by the posts saying that thread like this aren't allowed? : Are people being sarcastic or is something going on that I missed?

Mama to:Ben (12), Natalie (9), Zoe (5)

Old 05-18-2007, 02:08 PM

Just was linked to this thread. I'll be back later.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
Old 05-18-2007, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nothing like this has ever happened to me!!

While I was at my working interview for the childcare center (an interview *I* asked if I could have) the newspaper called.

When I got back I called and he offered me the job!!!!!

So I weighed the pros and cons and decided to take the job at the paper!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!! I am jumping up and down and could just pee!!!
Old 05-18-2007, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, was talking to my mommy.

Anyway, I start Monday and the only glitch is that the hours are from 10-2 instead of 8-12.

I just need to drop two classes (electives, well my last to english courses) and find one online course.

But, I can take kailey to school and pick her up every day and have time to do errands, household stuff and class work while Kailey is at school 8-10 am.

And who knows where this job will lead. it may be a urn in my future.

The crazy this is that I have always daydreamed about writing for a newspaper- weird huh. I could easily change my major from english ed to english or evcen journalism.

I'm thinking to far ahead now for sure, but don't we have to make our own future?

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just call me Teresa Kent, or Teresa Parker
Old 05-18-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseMomme View Post
: We live in a college town. I just haven't fancied a college kid trying to study in their room with the noise and chaos my house is usually in...but maybe there would be people out there who wouldn't mind, or could study, etc at the college library or whatnot...
*cough*move-to-ithaca*cough*

wow..I've got to go see a dr about that cough.....

Old 05-18-2007, 02:46 PM

oh PD That is awesome!!!!

YAY!!!!!!

And starting Monday!! Wow!!!

User Tag List