Poor Family Support Tribe- NO DEBATE - Page 28 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#811 of 832 Old 06-01-2007, 02:06 AM
 
UberMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My positive for the day. We got our garbage bill, which is $60 for two months. You pay in advance. So since we're moving out, I get to go into the office tomorrow and ask them to change the bill to just two weeks (instead of two months!). So we'll owe a lot less.

Bad for the day - we had to run DH's vehicle through emissions to get him new tags. $75. Not as bad as some states charge at least!

Once we move, if it's into a single family home, I've decided to take on one child (besides my own! lol) to get a bit of extra income. I want to watch just one full time. I am pondering how much to charge though. This in a way will be a benefit to us, not only financially but a playmate for our kids (I'm only going to accept a toddler aged child). I want to help out a family that can't necessarily afford the $100/week others charge, but don't qualify for help either. Eventually I'd like to get state certified (I don't have to be in order to watch one child). I have my CPR/first aid certs already. Oh well, I have some time to think about it I guess.

Amanda - {{HUGS}} My DH inherited bad teeth (no matter what he does to take care of them, doesn't matter.. sigh) and he too is having to put things off. In fact, he's put off certain things for his teeth for almost 2-3 years now. UGH. I hate that he's having to do that. I know what you mean about a new beginning. I wish you a LOT of luck. I've sold a ton of stuff on CraigsList and eBay to make $ for our move! I'd suggest that, if you have anything at all to sell.

DiD - I HOPE he gets the job, I really do. Wow, I can't imagine how stressed you must be. Positive thoughts coming to you and esp him! I pray you have a good update for us tomorrow. Or will he not find out so soon? {{HUGS}}

Ruth - Do you happen to know ANY lawyers at all? We have a lawyer friend (of DH's) that once wrote a letter to an insurance company for us. It scared the ins. co. into giving in instead of dealing with the courts, which is what we were threatening. You may try calling around, seeing if you can find a lawyer that will do this for free.. it's rare, but some do it! The letter may scare her enough, you never know.
UberMama is offline  
#812 of 832 Old 06-01-2007, 02:06 AM
 
Ruthla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 47,873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytheria View Post
Ruth, I'm so sorry.

There's not much the credit agency can do to you. They can't garnish your wages. They can't even call you anymore if you send them a cease and desist letter. They CAN put the debt on your credit report so that's shot, but they can't take anything from you in order to collect. (Unless it's a student loan... it's not, is it?)
nope, it's a credit card that went into collections.

Quote:
Chances are good you can't even collect through small claims court. State guidelines vary, but small claims has a limit of $1,000-$7,000....usually in the middle, around $3,000. There's very little chance of you recovering even half of the debt. If the friend isn't willing to use credit cards or some other method of paying this off right away, you may have to sue her. You can see if Legal Aid can help you, if not, there may be an attorney who would be willing to take the fees from any judgement against your "friend".
So even if I don't officially declare bancruptcy (which requires paying a lawyer) they still can't make me pay?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
Ruthla is offline  
#813 of 832 Old 06-01-2007, 02:20 AM
 
Satori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Earth, I think, kids say Cybertron
Posts: 7,901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
nope, it's a credit card that went into collections.

So even if I don't officially declare bancruptcy (which requires paying a lawyer) they still can't make me pay?
nope, they can take you to court but unless you own property your pretty much judgment proof at $8k a year income.

Seriously?
Satori is offline  
#814 of 832 Old 06-01-2007, 02:21 AM
 
kytheria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
nope, it's a credit card that went into collections.

So even if I don't officially declare bancruptcy (which requires paying a lawyer) they still can't make me pay?
The absolute worst they can do to you is sue you. Usually they don't bother. If they see they aren't getting the money from you, they will usually sell the debt to another collection agency who will try again to collect. Being sued is NOT the norm, but it is an option- and it usually happens after several YEARS, not a few weeks. By the time they get around to doing that, you can almost always settle on a lower amount, sometimes as low as 50%. Hopefully if it ever gets to that point, your friend will have stopped screwing you over and will have paid something.

I found this page that gives some good info.
kytheria is online now  
#815 of 832 Old 06-01-2007, 02:26 AM
 
DreamsInDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 13,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberMama View Post

DiD - I HOPE he gets the job, I really do. Wow, I can't imagine how stressed you must be. Positive thoughts coming to you and esp him! I pray you have a good update for us tomorrow. Or will he not find out so soon? {{HUGS}}
There is a chance he could find out if he gets a third interview tomorrow. The senior manager in charge of making the final decision told him that he may not insist on a third interview and just make an offer outright to the final four chosen for the open positions. He's one of about 20 applying for 4 spots.

Hopefully I'll have a good update for you tomorrow but if not I'll keep you updated as soon as we know.

Thanks for your prayers.
DreamsInDigital is offline  
#816 of 832 Old 06-01-2007, 02:29 AM
 
Satori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Earth, I think, kids say Cybertron
Posts: 7,901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well mama's after I pay rent and car payment I'm back to BROKE I'll basically have about $2000 to live off of until Sept and no clue how I'm going to pull it off. ok, I do but it means every things going to get late for a month or 2. I'm hoping get a part time babysitting gig and that my app for SSI for the girls gets approved. I do have to admit though that I feel in a much better position then I was a month ago when I had extra money and was able to replace some major appliances (fridge/ upright freezer and A/C) which has made my life a lot easier so I don't feel one iota of guilt over buying them (after 3 years in this place I deserve them! ) I've put in a potted garden so we'll have fresh veggies this summer and if I follow my menu planning we'll be fine for food. Its everything else I gotta worry about. At least I can think positive about it

Seriously?
Satori is offline  
#817 of 832 Old 06-01-2007, 02:43 AM
 
Ruthla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 47,873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
nope, they can take you to court but unless you own property your pretty much judgment proof at $8k a year income.
I don't own squat. I have a vehicle in my name, no savings account, and just barely enough in checking to cover bills. Oh, and an apartmentful of second hand furniture and clothes for the family.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
Ruthla is offline  
#818 of 832 Old 06-01-2007, 02:56 AM
 
Ruthla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 47,873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytheria View Post
The absolute worst they can do to you is sue you. Usually they don't bother. If they see they aren't getting the money from you, they will usually sell the debt to another collection agency who will try again to collect. Being sued is NOT the norm, but it is an option- and it usually happens after several YEARS, not a few weeks. By the time they get around to doing that, you can almost always settle on a lower amount, sometimes as low as 50%. Hopefully if it ever gets to that point, your friend will have stopped screwing you over and will have paid something.

I found this page that gives some good info.
Thank you SO MUCH!!!! I will call the debt collector tomorrow (before he has a chance to harass my family any longer) and tell him I was unable to find anybody to borrow the money from, I don't have it, I can't pay it, please stop calling me. But they do have permission to contact F regarding this debt if they want to.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
Ruthla is offline  
#819 of 832 Old 06-01-2007, 03:03 AM
 
Ruthla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 47,873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I started a new thead for June.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
Ruthla is offline  
#820 of 832 Old 06-01-2007, 03:11 AM
 
kytheria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's a sample cease and desist letter from Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace. Send it certified mail, with signature required.

[Date] _____

[From]
_________
_________
_________

VIA: Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested

[To]
_________
_________
_________

RE:____________

Dear _________ :

This letter will serve as your legal notice under federal law that regulates the activities of collection agencies and their legal representatives.

You are hereby notified under provisions of Public Law 95-109, Section 805-C, THE FAIR DEBT COLLECTION PRACTICES ACT, to CEASE AND DESIST in any and all attempts to collect the above debt.

Your failure to do so WILL result in charges being filed against you with the state and federal regulatory agencies empowered with enforcement.

Please be further warned that if ANY derogatory information is placed on any credit reports after receipt of this notice, it too will result in action being taken against you.

PLEASE GIVE THIS MATTER THE ATTENTION IT DESERVES.

Yours truly,

__________
kytheria is online now  
#821 of 832 Old 06-01-2007, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
 
Potty Diva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Credit cards often do "write offs" and consider the debt non-collectible.
Potty Diva is offline  
#822 of 832 Old 06-01-2007, 11:39 AM
 
Satori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Earth, I think, kids say Cybertron
Posts: 7,901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Diva View Post
Credit cards often do "write offs" and consider the debt non-collectible.
yep and its usually done in about 6 months from the time of last payment and it really wrecks your credit and its rarely removed. Some people don't even bother paying once its written off because if the status is changed it usually says "paid after charge off" which makes no difference in improving your new score. Depending on how long its been your best bet is actually to walk away from the debt to let the clock start and get the aging process going.

Seriously?
Satori is offline  
#823 of 832 Old 06-01-2007, 12:49 PM
 
Ruthla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 47,873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Diva View Post
Credit cards often do "write offs" and consider the debt non-collectible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
yep and its usually done in about 6 months from the time of last payment and it really wrecks your credit and its rarely removed. Some people don't even bother paying once its written off because if the status is changed it usually says "paid after charge off" which makes no difference in improving your new score. Depending on how long its been your best bet is actually to walk away from the debt to let the clock start and get the aging process going.
Is that any worse for my credit than bankrupcy?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
Ruthla is offline  
#824 of 832 Old 06-01-2007, 01:00 PM
 
Satori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Earth, I think, kids say Cybertron
Posts: 7,901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Is that any worse for my credit than bankrupcy?
Supposedly no but I had several write offs a few years ago and despite not having anything bad go on my report in a few years the people who had filed BK 1-2 years before managed to have better scores then I did! Even after I cleaned up my credit and got everything off my reports and only had positive stuff showing they STILL had better scores, go figure.

Seriously?
Satori is offline  
#825 of 832 Old 06-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Banned
 
2Sweeties1Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm on the fence about filing for bankruptcy. My van was repo'd in early January and they're saying I owe $12,000 on that. I'm sorry (not really), but I wouldn't shell out $12,000 for something I no longer have even if I did have the money. I tried working with those people after DH and I were both laid off last fall, but they didn't care--they just wanted their money no matter what. We also have about $10,000+ in credit card debt from when I was younger and unmedicated. Unmedicated bipolar=massive shopping sprees. Nothing has been paid on in over 6 months. DH works FT, but he only makes $7/hour because that's the only job he's been able to find. I want to get a job, but not if my wages are going to be garnished. What's the point in working if I'm not going to bring anything home, KWIM?

This is so frustrating. Even more frustrating is that I have to pay to file for bankruptcy and I can't really afford to. I have a little bit of money (around $1000) stashed away for it, but I don't want to give it up because I'm afraid something will happen and we'll really need that money. AAARRRH! I'm afraid to file pro se because we have a mobile home that we want to keep and I don't want to screw up and lose it because then we'd have to rent and that would cost more money each month.
2Sweeties1Angel is offline  
#826 of 832 Old 06-02-2007, 02:05 AM
 
sonrisaa29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sweeties1Angel View Post
I'm on the fence about filing for bankruptcy. My van was repo'd in early January and they're saying I owe $12,000 on that. I'm sorry (not really), but I wouldn't shell out $12,000 for something I no longer have even if I did have the money. I tried working with those people after DH and I were both laid off last fall, but they didn't care--they just wanted their money no matter what. We also have about $10,000+ in credit card debt from when I was younger and unmedicated. Unmedicated bipolar=massive shopping sprees. Nothing has been paid on in over 6 months. DH works FT, but he only makes $7/hour because that's the only job he's been able to find. I want to get a job, but not if my wages are going to be garnished. What's the point in working if I'm not going to bring anything home, KWIM?

This is so frustrating. Even more frustrating is that I have to pay to file for bankruptcy and I can't really afford to. I have a little bit of money (around $1000) stashed away for it, but I don't want to give it up because I'm afraid something will happen and we'll really need that money. AAARRRH! I'm afraid to file pro se because we have a mobile home that we want to keep and I don't want to screw up and lose it because then we'd have to rent and that would cost more money each month.
Just know that under the new bankruptcy laws I believe that you are required to go through credit counseling and I believe a financial management session before you debt is allowed to be "wiped" out. I thought with bankruptcy though you are allowed to keep your home up to a certain value?
sonrisaa29 is offline  
#827 of 832 Old 06-02-2007, 04:53 AM
 
Gendenwitha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Olympia WA
Posts: 1,449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
My parents can't help me. I have no way to pay an $8,000 debt. I have no clue what I'm going to do.

And to top it off, my parents started yelling at me, telling me "You can't homeschool DS" as if that had ANYTHING to do with my money problems!!! Yeah, it's related in that I really can't pay tuition, but WTF would public school be my only option here and what does that have to do with the fact that I'm now completely screwed?
Wondering what your plan is for if your disability gets denied. That's very relevant both to homeschooling and to debt collection. As long as "F" is still pretending to agree to pay, try explaining to the school the situation and asking the school if you can add her name to the contract. Then presuming she's willing, add her to it. Then they'd have someone with garnishable wages to go after and you wouldn't have to take her to court.

If that doesn't work, explain the situation to the school and ask if they'll write it off as a charge-off. This will help you in that it won't get sold and re-sold and stay on your credit report, and helps them in that they can write it off as bad debt on their taxes. (Make sure you're talking to someone who understands that, people in billing may not, but their accountant will.)

I'm a little confused though as to how this situation came about. Was she to pay each year or just this first year? What kind of relationship do you have with this person that she just up and offers to pay $8k a year in tuition?
Gendenwitha is offline  
#828 of 832 Old 06-02-2007, 05:08 AM
 
UberMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ruthla started a June thread for this group here.
UberMama is offline  
#829 of 832 Old 06-02-2007, 05:36 AM
 
Satori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Earth, I think, kids say Cybertron
Posts: 7,901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gendenwitha View Post
Wondering what your plan is for if your disability gets denied. That's very relevant both to homeschooling and to debt collection. As long as "F" is still pretending to agree to pay, try explaining to the school the situation and asking the school if you can add her name to the contract. Then presuming she's willing, add her to it. Then they'd have someone with garnishable wages to go after and you wouldn't have to take her to court.

If that doesn't work, explain the situation to the school and ask if they'll write it off as a charge-off. This will help you in that it won't get sold and re-sold and stay on your credit report, and helps them in that they can write it off as bad debt on their taxes. (Make sure you're talking to someone who understands that, people in billing may not, but their accountant will.)

I'm a little confused though as to how this situation came about. Was she to pay each year or just this first year? What kind of relationship do you have with this person that she just up and offers to pay $8k a year in tuition?
Little harsh don't ya think? Also they do keep trying to collect charge offs, the law says they have to charge it off after x amount of time but then they just resell it to a collection agency who then bugs you for years. You can make them go away until they sell it to someone else then you have to go a C&D all over again to make them go away too.

Seriously?
Satori is offline  
#830 of 832 Old 06-02-2007, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
 
Potty Diva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I PASSED THE PRAXIS!!!!!!!

I made a combined score of 532 and I needed 522.


OH HELL YA!!!!
Potty Diva is offline  
#831 of 832 Old 06-02-2007, 04:12 PM
 
thismama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nursing the revolution
Posts: 14,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congrats PD!!!!!

eta - Oops I see there is a new June thread. Moving my post over there!
thismama is offline  
#832 of 832 Old 06-12-2007, 10:46 PM
 
UmmIbrahim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,031
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh man...I belong here!!!

Dh & I are both Uni students and this summer things are *really* tight...well..things are always tight but esp this summer.

We applied for FS and I get WIC...getting them has been a MAJOR blessing in disguise becos we'll also Since we don't eat very much in general the btw the FS and WIC we'll have ample food AND for once be able to afford healthier stuff...so hopefully we can get a bit healthier (we're already pretty healthy...but for a long time had to buy cheaper, less quality food becos we couldnt afford better stuff)
Seriously we feel like we can finally breath becos we were looking at how much dh is making this summer as a TA, our cost of living...man... :

Seriously...Im sooo thankful these programs exist!!!!

Umm Ibi
UmmIbrahim is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off