Please Join us...No Spending in May...a support group - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-18-2007, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, today didn't work out as planned. Bah. But at least I didn't buy any snacks or lunch or coffee!

May 1: -$173.85 on shoes
May 2:
May 3: +$89.90 on returned shoes, -$109.90 on more shoes
May 4: -$8ish on lunch
May 5: -$28ish on books
May 6: +$28ish on returned books, -$12.99 on skirt (which I'm going to return), -$30ish on mother's day card/present, +$64 turned in change
May 7: -$8ish on lunch, -$56 on running shoes
May 8: -$6ish on coffee and muffin, -$4.50 on lunch, -$65ish at Ross on summer tops and work out clothes, +$12.99 on returned skirt
May 9: -$6ish for lunch, -$3.50 for dinner, -$40ish at two thrift stores (mostly on stuff to re-sell, but still)
May 10: -$19ish on drinks
May 11: -$6ish on lunch, -$9 at the thrift store (again resale stuff), -$26 at the other thrift store (again, resale)
May 12:
May 13: (+$45ish in stuff I returned, too!)
May 14: (+$165.90 returned shoes)
May 15: -$82ish at Ross
May 16: +$43ish Ross returns, -$21ish new running shoes (finally, and so cheap!), -$10ish food, (edited to add) $35ish on much-needed swimsuit
May 17: -$55 haircut, -$11ish Savers

Running total: -$376ish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2007, 10:57 AM

This week:
Sunday:
Monday:
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday:

I am predicting the next 3 days will be thumbs too. I am fighting buying so hard!! DS and I both have birthday money but I know that if we go in the stores, we will spend more than we intend. So I'm waiting until the day we do our grocery shopping since everything will be in that store anyway.

A couple of bright spots:

I was redoing my kitchen and instead of going out and buying a new shoe rack, I used the one in the closet and put all those shoes in the old shoe box.

I recycled some baskets to use for decorating.

Trying to see everything in a new light, how I can make my home better without spending money.

I found a $10 cheque from Christmas I can put in the account.

I got a lot more $$ for my birthday than I was expecting. Still can't decide what to do with it.

One of the negative things recently is our "computer chair' has died. We had a real one that fell apart so we were using a $5 second hand kitchen chair (since Christmas). Now that has fallen apart so I have to sit on a footstool to use the computer. DH and the kids are so rough on them. DH reclines in whatever he's sitting in and rocks, even if the chair isn't meant to do that. The kids are really rough on them too. I try to be careful as I know how expensive computer chairs can be. I hate to buy a new one, even if it is kind of a necessity. We can get by without it though. I've tried freecycle many times looking for one with no luck.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Today is another woo hoo!!
Old 05-18-2007, 02:36 PM

I'm gettin' radical...I turned off our A/C, opened the windows and turned on the fans. Remember, I live in South Florida folks! But, our AC sucks anyway so why roast for $300 a month in electricity when we can roast for free???

Plan for the afternoons, when it is the hottest, is to play in the kiddie pool or go to my mom's house where the A/C is free (and the food is too!). Ooh, I sound like such a mooch! We usually go over there in the afternoons anways to visit the grandparents who cannot go 48 hours without seeing the babes.

Ok, made Dh the ice tea for the weekend and printed out the recipe for the lentil soup with dumplings from HH's website. A little hot for it, but DH likes a heavy meal when he gets home from work. Going to make some oatmeal muffins later for snacks and a quick breakfast next week. Maybe a double batch.... one with raisins and one with choc. chips...yum!

Want to go shop, but can't. Must get more milk today at grocery store. I still have $250 in my grocery budget for the next week. My goal is to only spend $35 of it on fruit and milk.

Honestly, is Wally World really that much cheaper for groceries? Is it really? If it is, maybe, just maybe I'll try that once. I really hate that place. It is always so crowded and cluttered and just too much stimulation for me. And farther away. Publix is so close and they are so nice! Plus, I know the layout too.

Ok, that's it for now. Going to put on some shorts...
Old 05-18-2007, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

May 1...
May 2...
May 3... $105
May 4... $23
May 5... $9.50
May 6...
May 7...
May 8... $6
May 9...
May 10.. $6.50
May 11.. $18.43
May 12..
May 13..
May 14..
May 15..
May 16..
May 17.. $26.82
May 18.. $6 Admission to Shelburne Farms

I could have avoided spending that money, but it was admission for a friend of mine who is always treating me to stuff...so it was one of those social expenses like birthday gifts that you can't really get around. So I'm not feeling too bad about it...FIDO again.

This weekend, however, we are not going ANYWHERE and we are not spending any money...weekends tend to be good for us...so I hope to have two more thumbs by Monday.

Frugal Progress for today:

1. Bought nothing (other than that admission) when we went into town
2. CD Eleanor
3. Have successfully stayed away from internet shopping sites (so far today)
4. All the Moms countered my lowball offers and I didn't raise my price -- which means I didn't win the diapers but I don't need any diapers and it is pure strength for me to step out of negotiating...I think I love the dickering more than the purchase.
5. DH took the bus into town today

Old 05-18-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengingophelia View Post
If you want new books of your own, how about looking into paperbackswap.com, bookmooch.com, or frugralreader.com, where you can trade books you have and no longer want for new (to you) ones? It has done worlds for me in the book-buying department.
because they're MINE. the ones i want are MINE and the ones i have are MINE. mine, mine, mine! :

sarah
Old 05-18-2007, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Sarah -- It has been surprisingly hard for me to not buy things too. I would also liken it to dieting or changing an ingrained habit. And even though there aren't a ton of thumbs on my chart it has been ~excruciating~ getting the ones that are up there, and even on days I've spent money, I've held myself back knowing I have to come report on here. I was never really aware of how much money I frittered away until this month.

Valerie -- your MC sounds much more frugal than mine...unfortunately I'm a sucker for WAHMs with cute fabrics and fancy fleece. They see me coming and know I'm an easy mark. I bought mine yesterday from Mimi's Dreams because she has some cuuuuuute fabrics.

Jessica -- way to go with the grocery shopping and organizing! Don't spend any extra at Kohl's -- just the swimsuit.

Avengingophelia -- Back on the wagon with you, young lassy. It is time for a thumb.

Go Carla, Go Kelly!! Save that money!!

Valerie -- Turning off the AC in South Florida -- now THAT is radical. We just moved to VT from Gainesville, so I'm used to heat. it is soooooo much colder up here...today at Shelburne Farms I had to put on a hat and a scarf because I was freezing. It is almost June! Back in Gainesville we would have had the AC on continuously since March.

Sarah -- on the books... that had me laughing...I almost woke up my napper in the next room.

Okay...back to not spending.

13 days left in this month...13 opportunities to earn a ... How many can you get???? Aim for 13!!!!

Old 05-18-2007, 04:13 PM

We've also been leaving the A/C off for the most part. It sucks, its old, and it basically doesn't work unless its been off and has been able to recharge for a while, so why bother?

We've been using ceiling fans and desk fans instead- which has actually worked out fine, even though we live in icky sticky Louisiana.

I also keep the lights off in the house most of the day. If we want to do crafts, we do them on a big rug near the sliding glass door, or.. outside if the UV index isn't extreme.

I'm definitely joining this, as I've been doing it already for a while!

1. My name is Amanda, I live in Louisiana (but I'm from Texas), I'm a "SAHM" (who, strangely enough, doesn't spend a lot of time at home), who also works at home on and off when I feel like it (doing commissioned paintings), and who also, sometimes when needed, helps out at the restaurant my husband and I own. We have two children and are expecting our third end of August/early September. We don't have insurance and are paying for the birth center and midwife out of pocket- which is still significantly less than paying an OB and hospital. (And even less expensive than redoing our bathroom into the beautiful birthing haven I wanted to birth this child in).

While we own two businesses and people think we should be rich, we're still paying off a good load of debt (mostly accumulated when we moved from Indiana, back to Louisiana and purchased this restaurant, and then started a landscaping business and purchased equipment for that). I suppose that also qualifies as the answer for question #2.

#3. I've made menus and grocery shop weekly so I don't waste food. I only bring cash (usually less than $40) so I am not tempted to buy things I don't need. I make A LOT of soups, because they're incredibly cheap, make meat stretch a long way, and can be made filling by adding pasta or rice.

When I do have the urge for retail therapy, I grab several singles and head to the dollar store. I can spend $5 and feel satisfied.

Christian Texan Mama to Merika (5/2005), Nolyn (1/2007), Keagan (UC baby 9/2007), Four miscarried lovelies, and sweet Evangeline Rose who arrived 9/7/2010 (home/water birth).  Expecting our fifth blessing March 2012! Viva la Vegan Pregnancy, my friends! 
Mandymom.com

Old 05-18-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Joseph View Post
Honestly, is Wally World really that much cheaper for groceries? Is it really? If it is, maybe, just maybe I'll try that once. I really hate that place. It is always so crowded and cluttered and just too much stimulation for me. And farther away. Publix is so close and they are so nice! Plus, I know the layout too.
I never go to Wally World unless I absolutely, positively have to. (And even then, I'd rather send my husband who has more selt control.)

They have too many extras set out to tempt a person who is on a strict budget.

I'd rather go somewhere that sells groceries, and JUST groceries. Even if their prices are a tad higher, I have found that I still save money because I'm less likely to toss in something I dont need.

Christian Texan Mama to Merika (5/2005), Nolyn (1/2007), Keagan (UC baby 9/2007), Four miscarried lovelies, and sweet Evangeline Rose who arrived 9/7/2010 (home/water birth).  Expecting our fifth blessing March 2012! Viva la Vegan Pregnancy, my friends! 
Mandymom.com

Old 05-18-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Crunchy - I just use old prefolds, serged in half as mama cloth. I read on here somewhere that cloth on cloth doesn't move so that is how I tried mama cloth for the first time. I thought, well, I have all these old prefolds, I'll just cut 'em in half and try them! I've never looked back and never tried any other mama cloth. Since I have endometriosis sometimes I even just use a prefold folded into fourths...bulky, but works and not one single accident. not one. Sorry, was that TMI?
can you five me more details about how you made them please? did you cut them lengthwise or across the short part? i have several that we're not usong and never even thought of this!

sarah
Old 05-18-2007, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Honestly, is Wally World really that much cheaper for groceries? Is it really?
Yes, it is.

I'm a Walmart detractor, myself, but I set out with pricebook in hand and discovered that Walmart undercuts every single other grocer (including Costco) in the Burlington, Vermont area.

Not only do they keep their regular prices lower, but when the grocery stores send out their circulars on Friday with loss-leaders -- Walmart slashes their prices to below the circular price for that week. So you ALWAYS get the lowest price at Walmart, even when the other stores do loss-leaders.

It is actually amazing how they do that.

So as much as I Walmart, I do go there for a monthly stock-up on groceries.

When I have more money, then I'll be able to afford boycotting Walmart, but not until then.

I do have to go in there with blinders on, though, because it is hard for me to walk in that store without buying other things.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:47 PM

no lomger an inspiration...*sigh*

1 - 39 (groceries)
2 - 15.50 (dd playing)
3 - 39 (groceries)
4 -
5 -
6 - 3 (hubby's junk food)
7 -
8 - 125 (groceries & gas)
9 -
10 -
11 -
12 -
13 -
14 -
15 -
16 -
17 - $580
18 -

yesterday was not good. i had to have the vet come outto look at my old dog (she's to big for me to pick up and too arthritic to get in the van on her own). i paid $325 to the vet for tests & house call. it turns out my first own fur baby has:

1. EXTREMELY bad arthritis all over her body
2. EXTREMELY high liver enzyme levels that, combined with the pain she showed during the abdominal exam, point to her having liver cancer
3. because of the liver problems can not have aspirin or doggy NSAIDs so will have to go on a prescription human pain medicine that does not affect the liver, until that doesn't work and we switch to codeine
4. also has hypothyroidism and will have to go on thyroid meds. i'll find out more about that next week after the in-depth study results come back.

i covered all of the $325 out of emergency savings so it won't affec this month budget.

$103 was at the pet store with about half of that for supplements for my old girl. the only good news here is that i'm returning a bird feeder; that will be $6 back but i'll count it when it's done.

the other $152 was groceries. it was our co-op's quarterly 10% off day so i bought more than i would have. it also includes $20 for cod liver oil for the oldest dog. the vet said the O-3's would help her.

on the plus side, i got a 1 day per week newspaper delivery job. i sign my contract on saturday and will be asking if i can have a second route. they drop the papers at your home in the morning, they have to be delivered by 6 pm and i can take dd in the car with me. awesome!

sarah

running total $477

edited to adjust running total; you ladies are right about the doggie's doctor being just the same as ours.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:50 PM

Wal-Mart is cheaper around here too. Once or twice a month I try to stock up at Aldi though b/c their canned goods and stuff is much cheaper. I never buy meats from WM though. Piggly Wiggly is *much* *much* cheaper on that. :-)

But on the other hand......Wal-Mart was more expensive before I started this challenge b/c I had very little self control.

Sarah you're still an inspiration to me!! And its just my opinion but if I were you I'd still give myself a thumbs for yesterday b/c it seems like those expenses were a necessity.

Tomorrow is probably going to be a spend day. DH wants to go out with his bf and his family. But since they are now learning to live on one income like we are hopefully we'll go somewhere cheap. LOL They live an hour away and we all haven't seen each other since Feb when his llittle girl was born so it will be worth it. But thats it!!! NO more spending after that!! I mean it! Since I know we'll spend money tomorrow I'm aiming for 12 more thumbs!
Old 05-18-2007, 05:12 PM

Hi y'all. I desperately need to make the rest of May a no-spend month. My oldest childs birthday was at the beginning of the month and dh joked that it was a my super sweet 5th birthday like the my super sweet 16 on MTV.: For some reasons 5th birthdays are traditionally big in my family. So we went all out. I almost regret the matching unicorn plates, almost. So here I am looking in my off budget spending column for the month and blushing profusely. We've spent more this month on non-necessities than we have from Jan-April.

I need to fill my tank and make it last for the rest of the month. I also need to inventory my cabinets and pantry and make a meal plan. I have to buy more domperidone to keep my milk supply up. It's about $100 but very necessary imo. I'm not sure if that counts or not. I think of it as a medical expense and tell myself it's much cheaper than formula. So today I'll declutter a bit more to remind me of all the unneeded junk I do have. Hopefully I can get the stuff listed here on the TP today after taking pictures.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:40 PM

You guys don't know just what an inspiration you all are!!! My grandfather ended up passing away and all hell broke loose with spending, it seems. So here is my update on the month:

May 1 -
May 2 -
May 3 -
May 4 -
May 5 -
May 6 - $33.06
May 7 -
May 8 - $25.77
May 9 -
May 10 -
May 11 - $39.09 (pet store)
May 12 - $156.26 (Mother's Day stuff; includes dh's spending)
May 13 - $17.18 (spent at grocery store)
May 14 - $124.37 (food for lunch after funeral, was at our house)
May 15 -
May 16 -
May 17 - $16.92 (ate out; I haven't felt like cooking)
May 18 - $9.67 (ate out for lunch; we really need to get back on track)

Prue The one car experiment is a bust. I had to run a bunch of errands around the time that my grandfather was dying. Also, with my dh working 40 miles from home, we decided to keep both cars. I'm still going to walk more places and take the bus for some things. That's the best we can do for now.

I am really hoping to get back on track. We have some expenses coming up and we will really benefit from spending as little as possible. Keep the tips and tricks coming, ladies!
Old 05-18-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KariAnn View Post
You guys don't know just what an inspiration you all are!!! My grandfather ended up passing away and all hell broke loose with spending, it seems.
s i'm so sorry.

sarah
Old 05-18-2007, 09:26 PM

And today I shopped again. But some sales on Ebay ended, so I'm still in the black for the day. Does that count?

May 1: -$173.85 on shoes
May 2:
May 3: +$89.90 on returned shoes, -$109.90 on more shoes
May 4: -$8ish on lunch
May 5: -$28ish on books
May 6: +$28ish on returned books, -$12.99 on skirt (which I'm going to return), -$30ish on mother's day card/present, +$64 turned in change
May 7: -$8ish on lunch, -$56 on running shoes
May 8: -$6ish on coffee and muffin, -$4.50 on lunch, -$65ish at Ross on summer tops and work out clothes, +$12.99 on returned skirt
May 9: -$6ish for lunch, -$3.50 for dinner, -$40ish at two thrift stores (mostly on stuff to re-sell, but still)
May 10: -$19ish on drinks
May 11: -$6ish on lunch, -$9 at the thrift store (again resale stuff), -$26 at the other thrift store (again, resale)
May 12:
May 13: (+$45ish in stuff I returned, too!)
May 14: (+$165.90 returned shoes)
May 15: -$82ish at Ross
May 16: +$43ish Ross returns, -$21ish new running shoes (finally, and so cheap!), -$10ish food, (edited to add) $35ish on much-needed swimsuit
May 17: -$55 haircut, -$11ish Savers
May 18: -$10ish food, -$13ish thrifting, +$90 thrift resale profit

Running total: -$309ish
Old 05-18-2007, 09:44 PM

May 1 around $9
May 2:
May 3
May 4
May 5: $3
May 6
May 7
May 8 $4
May 9 I spent but I don't remember how much
May 10
May 11 $2 (forgot I don't have to count necessary purchases)
May 12 $11 on supper...We were supposed to go visit my mom & were running late...have to try to plan better next time!
May 13
May 14
May 15
May 16
May 17
May 18

Friday night is usually a big spending day for us but we are all taking it easy at home tonight. DH made a nice big salad and now he and dd are watching Jeopardy.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
Old 05-18-2007, 10:06 PM

so many updates! I just don't know where to begin...so I'll begin with me!

1. I made the lentil stew with dumplings (added my secret ingredient which assures me that DH will love it - bacon) and they really were to die for! A little hot making them at 4:30pm but with some wine in hand and sesame street on the TV : it wasn't so bad. DH loved it. So, that frugal meal was a hit!

Bwylde: you deserve some props sister, I mean serious props! It is so hard to recycle things in your own house (at least I think so) so I think you did a fantastic job moving all that stuff around. You go girl!

AVenging: step away from your wallet...move slowlly and no one gets hurt! Get back on the bandwagon honey! You can do it!!! And yes, the ebay sales do help, don't they?

Scrapadozer - you flippin rock sister! you are awsome! you are totally doing it - I want some advice as to HOW you get such self control? Friday is my weakness....

Kariann - so sorry about your grandfather. I think you are doing awsome considering the circumstances. Hold tight and think good thoughts!

Sarah, Honey, that is an expense, like a medical expense for any other family memeber. Don't sweat it, just get back on track! Hugs to your dear poor doggie. As for the mama cloth - honestly, I am so cheap that I just cut some prefolds in half the short way (so when I fold them in thirds, the most padded part is the middle part of my "pad") and hemmed them with a zigzag hem. They work great. I get my prefolds from clothdiaper.com I buy the "factory seconds". They are brand new, but may have a dirt stain or two, and I get the for $12 a dozen! That's 24 pads! I wash every night and no problems. My DH is amazed at how much shorter my period is and how I dont' get cramps any more. I am so cheap that I started out by using some old Gerber birdseye polyfill dipes for pads. DO NOT do this! it is a horrible, horrible experiment.... But I'm sure the regular Gerber dsq ones would work fine.

Crunchy - why in the world would you leave Gator country? We live, eat, sleep and BREATHE the gators. I mean, we have pizza cutters that sing the gator fight song! We have a mobile on Dd's crib that is little gators that plays the fight song... we bleed orange and blue.... how could you leave all that? Well, I have seen pics of VT and maybe I would move there too...heheheee. I'd still be a gator though.

Let's talk WAlly World....ok, so it appears that maybe the prices really ARE that much lower, but they also have a baby section, a clothing section, a home section... I could really just keep buying and buying in there... so a grocery store, even at slightly higher prices, really is much cheaper for me. I think I'll skip it for now.
\
yes, I really turned off the air, and no, it wasn't that bad with the fans on. It was hard during dinner with the kids screaming but the wine helped smooth things over...

All in all, NO MONEY SPENT TODAY! I can't believe it - Friday's are my tough days... I want to buy dipes, I want to oder pj's for the kids....or a movie on TV or SOMETHING! But I was strong. Now, if I can just get through our vacation this way!
Old 05-18-2007, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome Meghan!

Sarah -- I don't see how you could avoid paying your dog's medical bills. I would count that as a necessary expense too.

Kari -- I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:

Scrapadozer - you flippin rock sister! you are awsome! you are totally doing it - I want some advice as to HOW you get such self control? Friday is my weakness....
Hmm, I go look at all the crap that's already in my small house. That seems to curb my desire to add more to the pile. That may sound silly but it actually does help me. I also find that once I have the urge to buy something if I go and do something productive instead of whipping out that debit card the desire goes away all on its own. My house is much cleaner lately!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Joseph
All in all, NO MONEY SPENT TODAY! I can't believe it - Friday's are my tough days... I want to buy dipes, I want to oder pj's for the kids....or a movie on TV or SOMETHING! But I was strong. Now, if I can just get through our vacation this way!
You did it once you can do it again! The urge to spend will go away and you will be left feeling victorious and with more $$$ in the bank. I am by no means an expert but it seems to get easier every day to resist temptations.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:24 PM

KariAnn-

Today actually ended up being a good day. I didn't go to Kohl's...so no crazy extra spending (yet). AND I went over to a friend's house and she gave me a suitcase and a large duffel bag FULL of clothes that she was getting rid of to go through. We work together, so a lot of it is "work appropriate" clothing which ROCKS! I can't wait to get home tonight and check everything out!

I bought 2 books today, but they were extremely cheap (employee discount) and I'll be able to give them as gifts. (There's more to it than just the book...I had the books signed by the author, who happens to be a TV personality, who was in town signing THIS book TODAY). Is that enough justification????

So, no for me today...although I don't feel TOO bad about it.

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

Old 05-19-2007, 04:37 AM

DH and I are in, no needs of extras this month, becuase we will not be able to join the next few months, as we're going on vacations.

Anyways here's our progress

May 1: 350,50£(Usual groceries, it always lasts the whole month)
May 2:
May 3:
May 4:
May 5
May 6: 20£, DD begged for a pizza after her soccer game, and I didn't felt like cooking
May 7:
May 8:
May 9: 40 £ (gas)
May 10:
May 11
May 12:
May 13
May 14:
May 15:
May 16:
May 17:
May 18:
Old 05-19-2007, 09:50 AM

Sorry for your loss KariAnne :

This week:
Sunday:
Monday:
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday:
Saturday:

I'm giving myself a thumb for today as we're stuck at home with a dead car and I don't like walking in the pouring rain. Thankfully it's not my dead car though . FIL often trades cars since ours has a trailer hitch. Last night driving home the car was acting wonky and died as I was parking. We got a boost but it was only enough to get us out of the way. So I'm SOOOO grateful it's not our car, but I'm feeling bad for the IL's (they spend an arm and a leg keeping their vehicles on the road).

So today will be a day of cleaning and sorting out yard sale junk if I get the chance. I was going to have a yard sale today but decided not to when DH had to work. Since it's raining hard, it's a good thing
Old 05-19-2007, 09:53 AM

Woo, look at all the thumbseveryone is getting. Good job!!
Old 05-19-2007, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

May 1...
May 2...
May 3... $105
May 4... $23
May 5... $9.50
May 6...
May 7...
May 8... $6
May 9...
May 10.. $6.50
May 11.. $18.43
May 12..
May 13..
May 14..
May 15..
May 16..
May 17.. $26.82
May 18.. $6
May 19..

Old 05-19-2007, 08:38 PM

KariAnnso sorry to hear about your loss...
to all your no-spend challengers!

Well I added up my monthly "thumbs" and here's the skinny...
May 7
May 8: $16.19
May 9: $32.00 (doctor) $11.00 lunch
May 10
May 11: $27.93
May 12
May 13
May 14: $52.50 (Mother's day present for myself )
May 15: $9.00 lunch
May 16
May 17
May 18 YET, our car died and we need a new ONE...we got a LEMON and now we're going to be back where we started before this month...
May 19: $4.00 lunch $3.20 grandma birthday card

SO NO SPENDING at all for me...I NEED to figure this car situation out before Monday...that's when I have to decide to spend >$500.00 to fix what's wrong...just to get it running again...they don't know it might be MUCH more...I don't know if it's worth it to fix the car even...OHHHH...

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
Old 05-19-2007, 08:39 PM

KariAnnso sorry to hear about your loss...
to all your no-spend challengers!

Well I added up my monthly "thumbs" and here's the skinny...
May 7
May 8: $16.19
May 9: $32.00 (doctor) $11.00 lunch
May 10
May 11: $27.93
May 12
May 13
May 14: $52.50 (Mother's day present for myself )
May 15: $9.00 lunch
May 16
May 17
May 18 YET, our car died and we need a new ONE...we got a LEMON and now we're going to be back where we started before this month...
May 19: $4.00 lunch $3.20 grandma birthday card

SO NO SPENDING at all for me...I NEED to figure this car situation out before Monday...that's when I have to decide to spend >$500.00 to fix what's wrong...just to get it running again...they don't know it might be MUCH more...I don't know if it's worth it to fix the car even...OHHHH...

SAM

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
Old 05-20-2007, 09:09 AM

May 1 around $9
May 2:
May 3
May 4
May 5: $3
May 6
May 7
May 8 $4
May 9 I spent but I don't remember how much
May 10
May 11 $2 (forgot I don't have to count necessary purchases)
May 12 $11 on supper...We were supposed to go visit my mom & were running late...have to try to plan better next time!
May 13
May 14
May 15
May 16
May 17
May 18
May 19 $19 on lunch, $25 on pillows

Well, I am sad to not throw a up there for yesterday. DH was begging to have some Chinese and he has been a sweetheart about not spending much money so we went. He also needed a new pillow as his other one is hurting his neck. This sounds like all DH-driven spending but I bought two large throw pillows for the couch as well. Our other large throw pillows are shot and pain me to use so I thought it wasn't a terrible thing to spend $$$ on. Now DH informs me we need new tires before we get the car inspected (inspection is due May 31st) so that's more inspiration to not spend money!

Old 05-20-2007, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hmm, I go look at all the crap that's already in my small house. That seems to curb my desire to add more to the pile. That may sound silly but it actually does help me. I also find that once I have the urge to buy something if I go and do something productive instead of whipping out that debit card the desire goes away all on its own. My house is much cleaner lately!
Oooooh....I'm feeling some inspiration coming on. Thanks, Scrap.

I think today I'm going to sort through all the stuff we already have and try to cull some to give to the Salvation Army. Hopefully that will squelch some of my spending urges for the rest of the month.

Today will =

That is my goal. I'm not planning to go anywhere and DH being at home keeps me off the internet shopping sites...so I think I can be strong.

Normally we are at church on Sunday, but today everyone has a cold so we are keeping our sick selves at home.

User Tag List