Please Join us...No Spending in May...a support group - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 479 Old 05-02-2007, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, we have a ton of birthdays this month. I would love the link to that blog if you could share it

There is one boy this month, turning 5, I'm not sure what to get/make, even if we were spending money. His mom does waldorf homeschooling with his older brother, but I found their home isn't really waldorfy, IYKWIM, and they have lots of character toys. His sister's birthday is this month but she's younger so I'm going to make her a simple doll.

DS and I scrounged the house today for things for his birthday party (it's on Friday). I rounded up enough cups, napkins, and plates so I don't have to buy any. We came up with some games to play using things around the house (I'm making bean bags out of scraps and rice and beans that are too old to eat for one game. We're also making a "Pin the nose on the clown" game out of poster board we have on hand and another game is "Button, button, where's the button". We had bought a pinata ages ago for $5 and thankfully it's already filled!).

I also have Mother's Day pretty much planned out. I can be very easy not to spend if you don't get stressed about it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 479 Old 05-02-2007, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Maybe it could be my mother's day/birthday present
Carla -- Could someone else buy it for you then? Could you suggest this battery charger to your friends or your parents or someone else who will be buying you a gift anyway? Could you hold off until June 1st without this battery charger?

If not that long, could you at least wait a week? Would it be possible to get this battery charger used? From Craig's List or at a pawn shop? Would it slow you down to find five or six ~other~ battery chargers before you purchase this one...so you know that this is the rock bottom price?

Things often go on sale...are you sure this charger won't be on sale again next month?

How about three days? Could you hold off on buying that charger for three days, and then if you still feel like it would be a good buy, then go get it?

Trying to help.

#63 of 479 Old 05-02-2007, 04:40 PM

I've been looking for one since Christmas for less than $50 to suit our needs. I've spent more on batteries this year than this costs and I'm tired of the waste. It is only on sale until the 14th. We don't have Craig's list here (believe me, I've checked : ) and I don't know of any pawn shops (I live in a small town) and I've never seen anything like it at any of the second hand stores. Besides, I haven't had much luck with second hand electronics. I don't know if anyone would buy it for me since I don't really get gifts anymore (poor family). I will give it a few days and see how I feel about it. I just hope they don't sell out
#64 of 479 Old 05-02-2007, 05:06 PM

May 2:

Plus I was at a friend's house today who will be going away for a long time and was going to throw stuff away, and she basically unloaded her cupboard into grocery bags for me.
#65 of 479 Old 05-02-2007, 05:07 PM

It's May 2nd and we still haven't spent anything! Woo-hoo! We were planning on going to a Family Night Out with our local attachment parenting group tonight, but we aren't going now. I added up the money we have spent eating out since I started my new checkbook register (01/17/07). It totalled $1,306.33! That doesn't include any of our eating out with cash or groceries! Nothing like a little sticker shock to bring you to your senses!

I think this is going to be a great learning process for our family and I'm happy to be sharing with others who are doing the same!
#66 of 479 Old 05-02-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KariAnn View Post
It's May 2nd and we still haven't spent anything! Woo-hoo! We were planning on going to a Family Night Out with our local attachment parenting group tonight, but we aren't going now. I added up the money we have spent eating out since I started my new checkbook register (01/17/07). It totalled $1,306.33! That doesn't include any of our eating out with cash or groceries! Nothing like a little sticker shock to bring you to your senses!

I think this is going to be a great learning process for our family and I'm happy to be sharing with others who are doing the same!

using your number of $1300 for 4 mos... gets you $3900 annual expense... again average numbers... thats enough to motivate me to eat at home...

just imagine what you can pay off with an extra $3900:
#67 of 479 Old 05-02-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
just imagine what you can pay off with an extra $3900
I KNOW! The horror! It makes me sick. That's okay because I am forcing myself to be aware and the buck stops here!
#68 of 479 Old 05-02-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KariAnn View Post

Eating out/ordering takeout/coffeeshop coffee was our bad point too. Last month we spent just over 250 on that. I couldn't believe it.
#69 of 479 Old 05-02-2007, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

May 1...
May 2...

We went to a playgroup at the local elementary school today (free) and then played at our park this afternoon. it is only 6 PM but we are in for the night, so woohoo! another day of no spending.

#70 of 479 Old 05-02-2007, 09:47 PM

I must give myself the thumbs up also! It's so exciting to see the smiley thumbs up guy two days in a row.

May 1 -
May 2 -

After making the decision to stay in for dinner, I just "knew" I was going to have to go to the grocery store to buy things for dinner. Glad to report that I was wrong! We had chicken, salad and couscous. I will be going to the grocery store tomorrow. I plan on making a list and sticking to it. How's everyone else resisting temptation?
#71 of 479 Old 05-02-2007, 09:51 PM

May 1 --
May 2 --

The kids were feeling better and according to Dr. Sears, were no longer contagious, so we went to playgroup this morning. Didn't stop for coffee on the way, didn't park in the metered parking. Enjoyed a nice little walk from the free lot and made myself coffee when we got there.

Filled my gas tank and that's the only money I spent today.

Spent the rest of the day at home, enjoying the sun. When we got antsy, we walked to the playground.

W00t!
#72 of 479 Old 05-02-2007, 10:00 PM

for today!
I had a trip to storytime and TJ's for necessities all planned out, but the weather didn't cooperate & George has the car at work, so we stayed in instead. Tonight's nutritious dinner for 2 (George works late tonight) consists of tuna fish and goat yogurt. Hey, at least feeding himself keeps Andy occupied!
#73 of 479 Old 05-02-2007, 10:43 PM

Day 1
Day 2

All good here! We're using our free rental coupon to rent a movie and dh made homemade pizza That man can make some awesome pizza lol I totally forgot we have birthdays this month too. My nephew's turning 12 and my sil is going to be 16:
#74 of 479 Old 05-02-2007, 11:40 PM

May 1-
May 2-

It really helps not to leave the house! I'm completely serious! We made play dough and played out in the garden. We did laundry and paid bills and got the mail and looked at buds on the branches that we passed on our walk... It was really great to enjoy our home turf with more intention. Good luck mamas!
#75 of 479 Old 05-03-2007, 12:00 AM

I did grocery shopping today and spent at least $25 less than I normally do, and got way more food. Dh was shocked at how much I got for so little! Woo hoo. I'm feeling pretty good about it.
#76 of 479 Old 05-03-2007, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama View Post
I did grocery shopping today and spent at least $25 less than I normally do, and got way more food. Dh was shocked at how much I got for so little! Woo hoo. I'm feeling pretty good about it.
Isn't that always a great feeling?
#77 of 479 Old 05-03-2007, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
fell off the wagon early. i spent 15.50 today to take dd to a petting zoo that had pony rides. i had been looking for one for a while & will probably only go back 2 more times this season because it's really far but she had a great time.

*climbing back on wagon*

sarah
#78 of 479 Old 05-03-2007, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennnk View Post
Isn't that always a great feeling?
Yea baby!
#79 of 479 Old 05-03-2007, 02:58 AM

Well, I spent $1.95 on a cup of (fair trade! organic!) coffee. I was babysitting three kids under three today (including my own toddler,) one of whom was seriously pushing every.single.button, and really needed the pick-me-up. The house I babysit at has no coffee. It was so worth it.

Back on the wagon tomorrow.
#80 of 479 Old 05-03-2007, 03:19 AM

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

: I'm April..Trying to save any extra $$ for kitchen renovations I will be starting in about 6 months. (And I really, reaaally want a brand new kick @ss stove!)

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of May.

I failed miserably in April, but am back on the wagon.

3. Please tell us your game plan -- what are your goals and how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?

my goal is to not buy anything extra at all. I sold some stuff last month here on the TP. which I will do again this month and add to the kitchen savings fund. I am also opening an etsy store. but that's more for fun! :

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#81 of 479 Old 05-03-2007, 11:29 AM

I am giving myself a for yesterday even though others may not. Everything I bought was a need except the $1 ball for dd that I promised last week I would buy her. It was hard, though. I was hyper-aware of just how much I think I need that I really don't. I don't how many purchases I tried to rationalize and then wrestled myself to put back. A real eye opener to be sure!

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#82 of 479 Old 05-03-2007, 11:48 AM

May 1:
May2:

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#83 of 479 Old 05-03-2007, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
May 1
May 2

But now it is May 3rd and I want to spend some money. I am expanding the veggie garden and found wood to make some raised beds. Yea, free wood! But I need longer screws and a new drill bit (broke one this morning). I do have some nails, but this wood is so damn tough that I can't get a nail into it.

Tomorrow is pay day and I refill my cash envelopes then. I am going to exert extreme discipline and wait till tomorrow when I can pay cash for the screws and bit. Even though I really, really, really want to work on the garden today. Ah well, I am sure there are other chores that need to be done. Just not as fun.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#84 of 479 Old 05-03-2007, 01:17 PM

Well, yesterday I did my grocery shopping, which was less than $30. DH bought a pepper mill with pepper in it at the dollar store since ours is beyond use and we use a lot of pepper. Today I bought all the buns for DS's birthday party, which were only 79 cents a pack for the 12's at the bread store (they're $2.49 or more at the grocery stores). So other than groceries/needs, I think I've been doing pretty good

I'm getting the "I want to buy DS more birthday presents" jitters! I keep thinking we didn't get him enough, but I know what we got him is fine, not to mention all the gifts from family. I always get like this the day before his birthday, lol!!
#85 of 479 Old 05-03-2007, 01:34 PM

I need to refill a my spice cabinet, which gets a LOT of use. Some of my regularly used spices are dwindling in supply. I'm thinking a Frontier co-op would be good for buying cheaper (since you can't really buy used spices!) but I'm hopeful not to go overboard on Frontier shopping. I'm also participating in the To-Go-ware co-op, since I've been drooling over them for months and would rather not send food in plastic for DH or DS. That won't be paid until the middle of the month, but still I'm not doing so well on this no spend, am I?!
#86 of 479 Old 05-03-2007, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So far so good for today. I may ride to town with my mom b/c I need some oatmeal (yuk!) but at least I know I won't spend any money on extras.
#87 of 479 Old 05-03-2007, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

May 1
May 2
May 3 $105 for diapers that I really don't need :

I don't fall off the wagon...I JUMP off.

Alright, I'm climbing back on.

#88 of 479 Old 05-03-2007, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Yes...that was ONE HUNDRED and five dollars.

Who ever said that cloth diapering saves money clearly hasn't visited my house.

#89 of 479 Old 05-03-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post
Okay

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of May.

3. Please tell us your game plan -- what are your goals and how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?
I'm subbing and I'm in for May!

I am a SAHM of DS 3 1/2. We moved to CO nearly 4 years ago and our cost of living has gone up more than we'd like. Some due to location some due to being bored ! I have 7 siblings all in PA so the move to CO has been hard. I find myself buying some things for comfort instead of need.

I want to spend significantly less in May and do more outside with DS. I did this for 3 months last year and it was great. Anything I did need was either asked for on Freecycle or yard sales. I had enough money for 2 trips to PA to visit family.

While I'm doing this plan, I'm also in a mode of "pantry shopping" and trying to empty my pantry before buying anything other than fresh produce & dairy. My goal is twofold to lower spending and to lower "stuff" and extras that exist in my house already. I haven't really thought of a game plan but figure if I start by planning activities for DS & I like a park, hiking, etc. I'll be less tempted to decide to stop into a store. I've also posted what I could do with the savings on the fridge - 3 months of no spending would mean another trip somewhere or an extra mortgage payment, etc.

I'm also thinking about scheduling my day more so that I am not easily distracted.
#90 of 479 Old 05-03-2007, 04:22 PM

For me today. I've made it past the point that I would have spent money (lunch) and it's Survivor night, plus researching homeschooling, so it will be money-free.

Woohoo!! It took 3 days, but I did it.

I won't even think about buying curriculum until June 1

WOHM to DS11 and DD9, both T1Ds

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page