Please Join us...No Spending in May...a support group - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-09-2007, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KariAnn View Post
I haven't had time to read through the posts and I don't have the energy to be supportive right now. My stepgrandfather is dying and we spent the whole day yesterday at the nursing home. I took snacks for dd, but didn't plan on being there for so long. We ended up going to get lunch and we brought back stuff for my mom, dad and aunt.

One of the hardest times I had with "therapy spending" was when my dd was in the NICU. I went way overboard spending alot of money online for things for her. I totally spoiled my ds as a direct result, too. It made me feel like I was doing something for them because I was drowning in my own grief.

I'm so sorry your stepgrandfather isn't doing well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2007, 07:46 PM

I'm a for today. The kids are with MIL and I always want to go shopping when they're gone. I just hung out around the house trying to get organized (ha!!). I just have to look at all the stuff I/we wasted money on to realize that most stuff I would buy would only end up eventually getting tossed, often with little use.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:45 PM

for today. DH and I rode out bikes to the bank to deposit his last paycheck. That should get us through rent next month.
Anyway, we drove across town yesterday and bought a little gas then and we are going tomorrow to look at some houses about an hour's drive away so more gas then. Looking at today though, we didn't spend a cent.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

KariAnn --

Old 05-09-2007, 10:10 PM

KariAnn- It's so hard not to spend money when you are stressed out.

Well, I am very stressed today and let DH talk me into going to the grocery store to buy a few things we didn't really need. We only spent $8 so it wasn't too bad. He wanted to take me out to a nice dinner but I convinced that would only stress me out more! I also shipped a bunch of things out today but did not have to pay for it as my brother owed me money for washing his laundry.

I'm hoping to be truly no spend tomorrow! I want to pay off that credit card. We're over half way there!

Jenny, proud maker of red things
Old 05-09-2007, 10:30 PM

: Woke up this morning and though my legs were going to give out on me...had a fever, chills, nausea...and a hot, lumpy, painful left breast...TMI sorry :
So today:
$20.00 co-pay for the midwife
$10.00 co-pay for the antibiotics
$11.00 for food for me...midwife said I've lost WAAAYYY too much weight in a month...and I need to make every calorie "count"
$2.00 (validated) parking at clinic :

No thumb for me...and my petty cash fund is gone for the month

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
Old 05-09-2007, 11:49 PM

OK, today was a total disaster for me, again. But tomorrow it all changes.

My update:

May 1: -$173.85 on shoes
May 2:
May 3: +$89.90 on returned shoes, -$109.90 on more shoes
May 4: -$8ish on lunch
May 5: -$28ish on books
May 6: +$28ish on returned books, -$12.99 on skirt (which I'm going to return), -$30ish on mother's day card/present, +$64 turned in change
May 7: -$8ish on lunch, -$56 on running shoes
May 8: -$6ish on coffee and muffin, -$4.50 on lunch, -$65ish at Ross on summer tops and work out clothes, +$12.99 on returned skirt
May 9: -$6ish for lunch, -$3.50 for dinner, -$40ish at two thrift stores (mostly on stuff to re-sell, but still)

Running total: -$357ish
Old 05-10-2007, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Old 05-10-2007, 02:01 AM

Hey, I'm starting later. Actually, I STARTED a month ago...I'm just joining you ladies late.

-I'm Jessica, I live in the Atlanta area with dh and dd Amelia (2).

-At the beginning of April, dh lost his job (BS HR reason : ). Luckily, I'm a WOHM, so we do have some income (although he was making almost twice my salary). When this happened, dh & I had a talk about how much we had both changed since moving here. We both grew up in VT under completely NON-materialistic conditions. Since moving here, we've fallen into the status-driven mind-set (boo!). So, this was a wake-up call. We were prepared to dip into our savings, but somehow we've been able to avoid even touching it. When dh was employed, we'd been working hard to pay off our debt, so I'm feeling okay paying a little less now. Luckily, our health insurance is through my job, so that hasn't been an issue.

-Our major downfall has always been going out to eat. We've completely cut that out and it's made a HUGE difference. I've also cut my impulse buying (which I was getting very comfortable in while my hubby was making $$). We've been making bigger meal and freezing leftovers or I've been brining them for lunch. Also, I think I've brought my lunch to work every day except 2 days.

I had a bit of a backslide yesterday. I went out to buy a few household essentials and ended up buying a dress. In my defense, it was on clearance for $6. Today I'm back to being tough....I'm so glad I found this thread!

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

Old 05-10-2007, 11:22 AM

Today, I am totally committed. No money is going to leave my hands. No snacks, no lunch out, no shopping, nothing. I am going to Happy Hour tonight, and I can't really get out of that (work-related), but for the sake of wallet & diet it's going to be a one drink and no snacks affair.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:51 PM

May 5 -
May 6 -
May 7 -
May 8 - .99 cents
May 9 -
May 10 - 2.20

Okay I almost fell off the floor when regular gas was $3.15 a gallon in our area. $52 to fill up - UGH! Certainly helps put a damper on wanting to drive anywhere - no driving, no shopping
Old 05-10-2007, 02:12 PM

I went to the bread store and spent close to $8 today. I got a lot to freeze too. Sometimes it's just more worth it to buy bread. When I make it, I eat it all plus there is the whole time thing and which works out cheaper (I can't make raisin bread for a dollar a loaf). Plus DS is on a bagel kick and I just cannot make good bagels.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:31 PM

May 1
May 2
May 3
May 4
May 5 $4.07 for drinks and snacks, $6 for 2 drinks (yikes!) at the Air Show and $9 for supper at Arby's on the way home.
May 6
May 7
May 8
May 9 $1.38 at Bookstore (Mother's Day), $14.61 grocery store, $36.58 Wal-Mart (groceries, Mother's day & stuff for DH's birthday party), took 2 baby outfits back to Goody's and got a gc for $18.79 spent $18.61 of that on 3 different outfits. (all on sale!)
May 10....... WAS going to be a no spend day, but my mom is going to town so I'm going with her to pick up the drinks for the party.

KariAnn Hang in there hun!
Crunchy*VT*Mom You can do it!!
avengingophelia I noticed you spend alot to eat lunch, could you pack your leftovers or a sandwich/salad for lunch in order to save?

My frugal progress for today is:
1) Cooking DH's b-day dinner instead of going out
2) I was going to go meet my brother at the bank to open him an acct (its a credit union so he has to open under me) instead I did it over the phone. I don't get to see my brother : but at least I didn't use any gas.
3) Car pooling to town with mom instead of driving myself so no gas spent there either.

I've got to save all I can b/c DH wants to meet his bf and his wife and their 2 kids (one is a year old and the other is a month older than CJ) on Saturday for dinner. Don't get me wrong I love his bf's wife and their kids are adorable but gee whiz I'm trying to save money here!!

Our big problem is on Fridays I have to drive 60 miles (round trip) to pick up DH's paycheck. Argh!! With gas getting close to $3 a gallon its getting ridiculous!! Hopefully DH can talk his boss into mailing his check to us in order to save.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

May 1...
May 2...
May 3... $105
May 4... $23
May 5... $9.50
May 6...
May 7...
May 8... $6
May 9...
May 10.. $6.50 cute diaper

Frugal Progress for today:

1. CD Eleanor
2. Walked to playgroup instead of driving
3. Stayed out of the stores
4. Took shower at gym instead of home (saves hot water)
5. Hung my laundry out in the sun
6. Told some of my buddies that I wasn't going to be meeting them for dinner at restaurants for Mom's Night Out anymore. I see them during the week (for free) so it is not like we don't catch up then. After we are out of debt, I can allow some of this back in my life, but not right now. Whew. That was a tough one.

And let's not even talk about the diaper today. It is an addiction. I need an intervention. But that is my LAST diaper. I'm taking that link off my favorite's page.

Way to Go Saving Moms!!!! Save that money!!!!

Old 05-10-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymakes3 View Post
Our big problem is on Fridays I have to drive 60 miles (round trip) to pick up DH's paycheck. Argh!! With gas getting close to $3 a gallon its getting ridiculous!! Hopefully DH can talk his boss into mailing his check to us in order to save.
Could his company do direct deposit? Not only does it save us gas & hassle but we also get the money into our account a full two days earlier than if we were to wait to cash a paper check.

I haven't had too many frugal victories today. I've been eating instead of spending to cope with my stress! I need to cut that out.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapadoozer View Post
Could his company do direct deposit? Not only does it save us gas & hassle but we also get the money into our account a full two days earlier than if we were to wait to cash a paper check.

I haven't had too many frugal victories today. I've been eating instead of spending to cope with my stress! I need to cut that out.
They don't do direct deposit. He works for a trucking company and the boss brings all the checks from his office in one town to another office in a different (closer) town (he takes them to his dad's shop who also owns a trucking company) and the wives or the drivers have to go to the shop and pick up their check. That probably sounds really confusing but its not as confusing as it sounds. We're one of 2 drivers that live far away (the other lives 2 hours round trip). It would save the wives and the boss if he would start mailing the checks, so I'm hoping that will make him want to start doing that. His wife is pretty money-hungry so the idea ought to appeal to her if nothing else. LOL
Old 05-10-2007, 05:08 PM

I just spent a small fortune on Mother's Day flowers. eek!
climbing back on the wagon

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 05-10-2007, 07:20 PM

OK, I think I'm gonna get a today! No shopping, no snacks, brought my lunch (and some for tomorrow as well, so no excuses there). Yay!
Old 05-10-2007, 09:14 PM

We went to the zoo today to meet some friends. We have a pass, so it was free. We brought our snacks and water, so no money there.

I made a LOAD of turkey meatballs & brought some to work for dinner. I froze the rest for future dinners/lunches.

Sweet- Aside from using some gas to get to the zoo, I didn't spend any money today!

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

Old 05-10-2007, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, whew...day is over and other than that diaper I didn't spend any money today...

We're staying home tomorrow, and usually stay-home days = saving money...so tomorrow I'm hoping for the thumb.

Way to go Jessica and AvengingOphelia!!!

KariAnn -- still thinking of you...

Carla? Where's the check-in?

Old 05-10-2007, 10:18 PM

for the day. On the way back from my brother's I wanted to stop for a soda so bad but told myself I had lemonade at home and I could wait!

Old 05-11-2007, 12:21 AM

no thumb for me today.
We bought an answering machine & coke for $15 and $25 of gas and $3 on Sonic (with coupon!). BUT we saw a realtor about the house we want to buy, we liked it from the inside as well as the outside. We are going to start applying for a morgtage tomorrow and because we both work oddball schedules we really needed the answering machine for those incoming phone calls.
I feel like we didn't overspend on anything that we didn't really need, so it's OK.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:59 AM

not having a car sure does help!

still at 222 for the month (for me, dh won't do anything but complain).

sarah
Old 05-11-2007, 10:47 AM

May 1 -
May 2 -
May 3 -
May 4 -
May 5 -
May 6 - $33.06
May 7 -
May 8 - $25.77
May 9 -
May 10 -

I'm going to get back to posting. Thanks for all of the kind words ladies! You are all great! They put the feeding tube in yesterday, which is good, but he still isn't getting enough oxygen. It's really only a matter of time at this point. The situation is so complicated, and I just really feel for what my parents are going through right now.

I've been doing good with not spending any money! Dh got paid today and I really can't believe that we still had money left over from his last paycheck!! I am so very thrilled! I desperately wanted a big greasy cheeseburger with fries yesterday and dh said he would get it for me (we then had a talk about helping me stay on the wagon), but instead he made me an egg sandwich. I made black beans and broccoli for dinner, but for some reason, I couldn't stomach the thought of eating it. Dd happily plowed through two plates of it though!

Way to go mamas! I see some of you are making great progress! You are all such an inspiration! I'm off to make breakfast and I totally need !
Old 05-11-2007, 11:13 AM

Well, no for yesterday after all. Happy Hour turned from one drink to several. Bah. But, on the bright side, I didn't buy any food or coffee at work yesterday and am set not to today either. Baby steps.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:51 AM

I thought I checked in . I spent almost $8 at the bread store, but that was it for today. I may be getting DH to pick up some clothes pins as ours have been disappearing (so about $1), but that's a need that will save us that much money the first day of use . I'm still struggling about what to get my mom for Mother's Day. I have something that I am thinking of regifting but I think she may of gotten it for me. DH and I can't remember. I want to avoid buying anything (we're not that close anyway), so I'll see what I can scrape together. MIL is a lot easier.

Getting thumbs is hard :
Old 05-11-2007, 02:12 PM

Well I spent $8.90 at the Dollar General on gift bags for Mother's Day, some more stuff for dh's party and 6 38¢ Hot Wheels cars for birthdays/Christmas presents. And then $6.85 at the grocery store on some great meat deals so no thumbs for me for yesterday.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:09 PM

May 1-May 11

I've only spent planned and budgeted money so far, even during a few really frustrating days. I find I'm an emotional spender, so I'm feeling pretty positive that I've found other ways of coping. (Or at least have been able to tell myself it's only for one month! Hopefully I'm forming some habits to carry over into future "just one months".)
Old 05-11-2007, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

May 1...
May 2...
May 3... $105
May 4... $23
May 5... $9.50
May 6...
May 7...
May 8... $6
May 9...
May 10.. $6.50
May 11...$18.43 for fried chicken and cookies

I don't count fried chicken and cookies and potato chips as "necessary groceries" so I'm going to count them as just junk spending.

One thing this exercise is teaching me is that I spend a lot more than I think I spend on little piddly stuff throughout the month. I sure thought I would have earned more thumbs than this. But I'm getting better...

I also spent over $100 on mulch and fertilizer and bushes for our front yard today -- but maintaining our house and yard is part of upkeep on our investment (the house) so I consider that necessary spending.

Carla -- I had to buy clothespins too. $.94

Frugal Progress for today:

1. CD Eleanor
2. DH took the bus
3. Shower at the gym saved hot water

Hmmm....I think that is it.

Now....to plan for the weekend...lots of free time so lots of opportunities for spending....but I'm going to try to be strong. Two s for Saturday and Sunday. That is my goal!!!!

Old 05-11-2007, 04:58 PM

OK, so both yesterday and today turned out to be busts, and I still only have one for the month. Gotta turn this around. I am aiming for a no-spend weekend, even if that means I don't leave my house.

Here's where I am (gulp) at:

May 1: -$173.85 on shoes
May 2:
May 3: +$89.90 on returned shoes, -$109.90 on more shoes
May 4: -$8ish on lunch
May 5: -$28ish on books
May 6: +$28ish on returned books, -$12.99 on skirt (which I'm going to return), -$30ish on mother's day card/present, +$64 turned in change
May 7: -$8ish on lunch, -$56 on running shoes
May 8: -$6ish on coffee and muffin, -$4.50 on lunch, -$65ish at Ross on summer tops and work out clothes, +$12.99 on returned skirt
May 9: -$6ish for lunch, -$3.50 for dinner, -$40ish at two thrift stores (mostly on stuff to re-sell, but still)
May 10: -$19ish on drinks
May 11: -$6ish on lunch, -$9 at the thrift store (again resale stuff)

Total: $341.35

BUT...I do have two pairs of shoes that are going to be returned (+105ish and I did deposit $50 extra income from my Paypal account into my checking account today. So all is not totally lost.

So, the immediate goal: a no-spend weekend.

User Tag List