Please Join us...No Spending in May...a support group - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 479 Old 04-30-2007, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If someone has already started the NO SPENDING support thread for May then I'll delete this one...but if not....here goes!

Our goal is to spend money on NOTHING EXTRA for the month of May. Of course you'll have to pay for groceries and gas and such, but this thread is to support you as you try to spend nothing on non-essentials.

Anyone want to join me this month?

#2 of 479 Old 04-30-2007, 04:29 PM

Yes, I am in. thanks for starting this. I didn't have it together for April, but I must do it for May.

So ground rules are: only spend for groceries and gas. Anything else?

And given that May is my dd's b-day, is it cheating to buy her a present and pinata fillings today?
#3 of 479 Old 04-30-2007, 04:55 PM

I need to do this. We spent too much last week...all month really. If only I can get DH to play along.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#4 of 479 Old 04-30-2007, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm in!! My DH's b-day is this month so I may have to break one day but other than that I'm in.
#5 of 479 Old 04-30-2007, 08:02 PM

I wanna play! : I've already talked to dh and he is in too! We are also going to be doing a one car experiment for the month. If we can successfully and happily live with one car, we may sell the other and apply that car payment to the one we keep. Our only debt is our two vehicles ($650/month in payments alone). Our house is paid for and we have no credit cards. However, we have no savings. :

With Mother's Day coming up, do any of you have any suggestions for a gift for my mom? I would love to come up with something creative that doesn't involve much (any) money. Otherwise, I will have to cheat a tiny bit.
#6 of 479 Old 04-30-2007, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Okay

I wasn't in the April group for this forum, so please excuse me if you already have gone through this...but for our May group (and if you are new and considering joining our group, please join in at ANY time...you don't have to be here May 1st):

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of May.

3. Please tell us your game plan -- what are your goals and how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?

#7 of 479 Old 04-30-2007, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

1. My name is Prue and I live in Burlington, Vermont. I'm a SAHM and I have two daughters, 4 years and 2 years old.

2. Why I'm doing this -- Oh, the debt. We have HUGE credit card debt and my DH is a teacher so he stops being paid for the summer. Which means this is the last month he will have an income until September...ouch. It is pretty crucial for us that we save as much money as possible leading up to the summer.

Also #2 -- I'm trying to spend less money and be satisfied with what I have...I view not spending for a month as being sort of like Lent -- I hope to learn something from this experience.

3. My Game Plan: Whenever I want to buy something...I'm planning to come on here and tell you guys about it first. Hopefully you can talk me out of it.

Basically -- I'm begging you to talk me out of it! Please give me every reason you can think of for me to delay this purchase until June 1st (or preferably September 1st!)

Also...to stay positive...I'm going to start a chart that will look something like this:

May 1...
May 2...
May 3...

Hopefully by the end of the month I'll have thirty thumbs, and not thirty purchases on there.

I figure coming on here will keep me accountable!

#8 of 479 Old 04-30-2007, 08:20 PM

Oh, I'm so in. We've both gotten really lazy on the budgeting this past month and we just don't have the room to do that. I know why -- it was an emotionally stressful month. Both kids have been sick, ds ended up in the emergency room with a medication reaction, followed by a pharmacy error opn his next round of meds, and when I'm stressed, I indulge -- coffees from the drivethrough, sweets, more grocery shopping than we could ever need in one month, etc.

So this month is dedicated to refinding my balance and finding a better way to deal with emotional stress.

I want to:
-park in the free lots and walk rather than park in the closer metered parking
-stick to our normal grocery budget and maybe even cut down on it to make up for April's impulsive stockpiling
-pay only our regular monthly bills and not do any impulse or unnecessary shopping

I like the idea of a daily thumbs-up chart.
#9 of 479 Old 04-30-2007, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Junonia -- re: ground rules. You can set those for yourself. I'm trying not to spend money on anything but essentials -- which for me are groceries and gas, but please feel free to choose some other things too if you think you need to. The electric bill, for instance.

Kelly -- My DH's birthday is this month too. I'm brainstorming and trying to think of a way to celebrate without spending the coin. You and I will have to pool resources on this one. I was thinking maybe I would make him a special meal...any other ideas?

Kari Ann -- I'm trying to use our car less this month too. That is one of my other goals. Driving less. We live within walking distance of a gym, a library, the community pool, four major parks, DDs preschool...really I should be able to get by much more than I do without using the car. So much of my driving places is just habit. We gave up our second car in September. Congratulations on no CC debt and paying off your house!!

re: Ideas for a Mother's Day gift. For valentines day I took pictures of my two daughters holding up signs with letters that spelled out W-E L-O-V-E Y-O-U and tacked them to DH's door at his work. Then I made heart-shaped muffins for him and left them in his office as a surprise.

Do you have children? Would your mother appreciate something homemade by them? If you don't have children, could YOU make her something like a memory book...or even a heartfelt letter telling her all the things you appreciate about her? Perhaps a letter about all the things you admired about her mothering?

#10 of 479 Old 04-30-2007, 08:38 PM

1. My name is Michelle, I'm a sahm who lives in n. CA with my dh and my 2 boys E (almost 4) and G (just turned 1) I do lots of crafting/sewing to keep myself occupied.

2. I want to try the no-spend May thing because I've been so sad about our finacial situation. We have very little in savings and just really need to get things moving in the right direction financially.

3. Our big problem is eating out. I'm hoping to meal plan and cook things ahead of time to make things easier. I'm going to look through the fourm to get some meal ideas Another thing is no more fabric/yarn nomatter how good the sale is lol I have enough projects to last way longer than a month.
#11 of 479 Old 04-30-2007, 08:54 PM

Okay, here we go:

1. My name is Kari and I live in San Antonio, TX with my dh and dd. As of January 8th I became a SAHM again.

2. There are so many reasons I want to do this. Here are a few: to have a savings account (with money in it!), to set a good example for my 5yo who is already "buying" into consumerism, to force myself to deal with whatever I have going on at the time and not succumb to emotional spending, to actually set up and stick to a budget. I could keep going, but you get the idea.

3. The game plan is to talk to dh anytime I feel the urge to spend money. I'm also counting on you mamas to talk me out of buying also. If I'm on the computer, inevitably I'm looking at amazon, etsy, magic cabin, well, you get the idea. I'm going to be diligent about not going to those sites and instead come here or to blogs about living simply. My goal is to basically have money left over at the end of the month to put into our savings account!

Thanks for the thumbs up Prue, but really we don't deserve it. The house was my grandparents and was left to me. We have no credit card debt because we filed for bankruptcy two years ago. On a more positive note, we have not accumulated any more debt since then. And as for the Mother's Day gifts, I am going to get creative and come up with something. I'll let you know what I come up with and thanks so much for the ideas!
#12 of 479 Old 04-30-2007, 10:23 PM

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of May.

3. Please tell us your game plan -- what are your goals and how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?

1. Hi im 1growingsprout, SAHM to 6, soon to be 7 kiddo's. Dh just lost his job and we are looking at ZERO income until he gets another one. I hate 'employment at will' states

2. no spending... see #1

3. I plan to stay out of the grocery store... im doing more of a pantry challenge this month...

now for the good news: today i took all the kids to the park, we had a picnic and the older ones played... cost ZERO
one of our playpens broke today, i had one in reserves from the baby presents over the summer,: instead of using that, i returned it for $90 yes 90 CASH and got one on craigslist for $15... thats a $75 profit to me our newly aquired playpen doesnt have all the bells and whistles of the one i returned but honestly i have one that sets up like a bassenette and i just needed something to corral the kids in while i cook etc... i still have one in like new condition for this baby...

for dinner we had chicken and french fries (baked not fried) salad and some forgotten about girlscout cookies... cost, free from freezer....

i really need to organize and take inventory of my pantry...
#13 of 479 Old 04-30-2007, 10:37 PM
Banned

hey crucchie vt i live in vermotn too in vergennes where are u located?
#14 of 479 Old 04-30-2007, 10:40 PM

Hi everyone I'm Michelle. I'm an on-call nurse for organ transplant. Work is all on call so I get to be home most of the time with the kids. I talked with dh a couple days ago about doing this. My inspiration was Diane Sawyer's report on global warming...I consider myself green already, but now I'm doing everything I can to be less of a consumer. Secondly my dh is looking for a new agency to work for and are savings are going down, down, down. We eat out constantly and my husband is a impulse shopper. Here's our plan:
1. STOP eating out. Plan a weekly menu, shop and cook ahead of time.

2. Now that the great weather is back, all laundry is out on the line.

3. We will purchase only Mother's day gifts for our mothers, other than that we are staying out of the mall!

4. Moving the thermostat on the central AC to 77 instead of 74-75.

5. Turning off the plug strip on all the tvs when not in use and unplugging all unecessary appliances. I heard even phone chargers pull energy when the phone isn't charging!

6. No Starbucks for a month. :

Good luck everyone. I know I'll need it.
#15 of 479 Old 04-30-2007, 10:42 PM
Banned

1. I am corri a sahm to 2 dc and a wife to dh. i live in vermont in a small appartment.

2. the reason we are not spending money is because we have a possible house coming our way the owner is holding the papers for us if we can get a bigger down payment.

3. simple BUY NOTHING. the only thing i should have an issue with is buying food/drinks that i dont need.
#16 of 479 Old 04-30-2007, 11:07 PM

1. My name is Caren and I'm a SAHM to my dd and wife to dh who quit his teaching job and will be looking for construction work.

2. Money is always tight, but will be tighter than ever soon. I am hoping to go to massage school in the fall so that I can have a "marketable skill" (I studied English and Sociology in undergrad... what do you do with that?). Dh wants to go to grad school after that, so we need to do some serious savings, and get out of a lot of credit card debt. Ouch!

3. I will spend money only on essential groceries and minimal gas. Some "luxuries" will be mailing a care package to my bf who's prego (just the shipping costs) and simple Mother's Day gifts if I can't figure out how to do them for free. We also have really good friends getting married, and will spend some $ on a gift for them. I will use my local library as much as possible instead of buying books on amazon.

Thanks for the support ladies! Make any last minute purchases now before May starts!
#17 of 479 Old 04-30-2007, 11:13 PM

Hello everyone! I tried this last month and did pretty well. We found out that we really have an impulse spending problem! I really can't do a no spend month because there are a few things outside of essentials that we're planning on getting, but I am hoping to do a very low spend month and a stick to the budget or die month! Okay that's a little dramatic, but you get the point. I am really trying to get our grocery bill under control.
#18 of 479 Old 04-30-2007, 11:20 PM

1. i'm sarah, SAHM to 22.5 month old dd.

2. dh used to be in management but got demoted last summer. since then we have been borrowing money from ILs to stay afloat.

3. we expect him to be promoted again this summer but the money from ILs will be cutting out. he's constantly on my case about "go get a job" & let his mommy take care of dd. however, since that IS my job, we will be renting out 2 of our bedrooms & i may try to do some in-home child care.

3b. i'm also an emotional spender. i'm going to control that this month.

sarah
#19 of 479 Old 04-30-2007, 11:32 PM

oh count me in.

I'm Jen, SAHM to Andy. We live in Seattle and George, the DH, works at Radio Shack & we found out yesterday that he's getting paid $3.80 less per hour than he was told he'd be getting when they transfered him up here:, so money is tighter than I thought it would be. I start nannying the week of May 21, but I won't get paid for a little while after that.

My big weakness is yarn. I have enough to last probably a year, yet with the shop just up the street, it's too easy to plan new projects.

But no more soy chai while I'm out on my walks, no yarn all month (too many projects going at once as it is!), and start that secret endeavor I've been thinking about to offset some prior spending!
#20 of 479 Old 05-01-2007, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama View Post
Hello everyone! I tried this last month and did pretty well. We found out that we really have an impulse spending problem! I really can't do a no spend month because there are a few things outside of essentials that we're planning on getting, but I am hoping to do a very low spend month and a stick to the budget or die month! Okay that's a little dramatic, but you get the point. I am really trying to get our grocery bill under control.
I too, like Colorado Mama, am hoping to do a very low spend month.
My name is Heidi and I SAHM to dd 13 mos. I am horrible at sticking to a budget. Things always seem to "come up". Things that I think are necessary(right now) but are not.
I hope to track my spending, do a pantry challenge and get my grocery bill under control, curb eating out and NOT SET FOOT IN TARGET! I can't seem to leave that place without spending at least $50.
DH 's and my dad's birthday are this month and so is SIL's and cousin's graduation, so we need to purchase a few gifts there.
DD needs some summer clothes- but I hope to purchase those all second hand (woohoo garage sale season) except for a pair of shoes. (The ones we bought her in March are almost too small already!)

Heidi , wife to my DH , mama to Hope Isobel (4/3/06), Molly Grace (7/31/09): , furbaby Callie :
#21 of 479 Old 05-01-2007, 02:52 AM

Food is on either extreme. Produce is super-cheap here, and things like cheese and beef are very expensive. One thing to watch out for, is eating out: getting around here is not very easy (and we don't have a car), so you usually have to plan on eating out if you're gone all day. Thing is, you CAN eat out for next to nothing. You can get GOOD food, and more than you can eat, for $2 or $3 per adult. Healthy, delicious, satisfying food. So it's not really unreasonable to have eating out as part of a whole day out (like using the zoo passes). The problem is if one decides to eat in an air-conditioned sit-down restaurant, and if dh chooses to buy a beer or two at Singapore restaurant prices.
#22 of 479 Old 05-01-2007, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah!! -- DAY ONE of no-spend or low-spend May

Okay, Ladies -- let's make this day a BLUEPRINT for the rest of the month. How you do today will help set you up for the month.

Spend nothing...there is nothing out there today that you can't buy tomorrow instead. Be strong!!!

My goal for today is: ~~Let the car rest~~

(ie. don't drive the car, but I'm trying to make it sound more positive )

We're going to the library for storytime (free) and we can walk there because it is close and the weather is nice.

Have a great May 1st!

#23 of 479 Old 05-01-2007, 08:49 AM

Hi, I'm Jenny. I live Maine and am a homeschooling SAHM to one three year old girl.

My husband and I have been spending more than we have available on our hobbies (woodworking and sewing respecitively) and other "fun" things. I want to catch back up, replace the money we've taken out of savings and pay off most of the credit card. Plus, I am just sick of being such an enthusiastic consumer. I am annoyed by my strong desire to buy, buy and buy some more.

Stay out of stores that trigger us, DO instead of BUY (thanks, Cindy's porch!), Make a menu plan for the month with plans for quick & easy to prepare meals so we don't have an excuse to just go out to eat. I always get too grand with my plans and only plan for complicated meals. I need to realize that sometimes that is just not going to happen and have some plan B options on hand.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#24 of 479 Old 05-01-2007, 09:22 AM

I'd like in on this!

My name is Carla, SAHM to turning 5yoDS and 2.5yoDD.

I am trying to take a "less is more" approach to life. I want to cut out our needless spending. Dh and I are very impulsive shoppers, especially if something is cheap. Eventually we want to buy a house and that takes money, something we don't have a lot of :. When we get to that point, we're not going to want to take a house full of junk with us so it's preventative measures as well.

I plan to stay out of the stores and tell DH to leave his wallet home. He works at a grocery store and is ALWAYS coming home with stuff. His idea of what we need is a lot different than mine. I plan to buy groceries, but not as much as usual (mostly fresh stuff, like fruits, veggies and eggs) as we have a lot of food storage and don't really need to. We also have a lot of occasions this month but I think I may be able to work around that. There may be somethings we need, but any spending will definately be on a need basis, not emotional.
#25 of 479 Old 05-01-2007, 09:34 AM

I'm up and pumped about day one! Dh is leaving for work now and that means, mentally, I am without a car. Our plan is to go to a parenting meeting that dd and I can walk to. They serve breakfast, so I don't have to worry about that! Without getting too far ahead of myself, we plan on taking the bus to the library this week (I need to find out when storytime is).

Good luck ladies and I can't wait to hear a lot of success stories!
#26 of 479 Old 05-01-2007, 09:57 AM

My name is Lindsey. I'm a SAHM, homeschooling mama to Gabriel (3.5), Sophia (21 months), and one in the belly. My DH is self-employed as a masonry contractor.

We have lots of debt, CC and my student loans. My DH works so hard to provide for us and does an awesome job, but I hate seeing him frustrated that we don't have any "extra" money. Yesterday he told me he needs to get a new oil cooler for his backhoe (he's repaired it once, and now the oil is leaking everywhere) and it's going to cost us $900! : I just want to create a habit (that I've been working on, on my own) of not buying things I don't need. I think a support group would be a great help.

My goals are to only spend money on groceries, bills, and gas. I shouldn't need much in the way of gas as I just filled up the other day and we don't go out much (library & errands on Tuesdays, church Sunday).

I MUST stay away from the Trading Post and Co-op board. I MUST! I do need some small covers for the new baby, but those can wait, right? Right?!?

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#27 of 479 Old 05-01-2007, 11:19 AM

I read through the frugal meal planning 101 thread and I did and inventory of all our food then did a meal plan for the rest of this week (tus.-sun.) I'm so proud, we wont have to buy any groceries this week! Maybe some more fresh spinach or some oranges but that's it! Now the hard part of sticking to the plan lol
#28 of 479 Old 05-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Banned

day 1 and going strong, i went for a long walk with the kids and when i saw a store i though hey its almost lunch time i should get us some food there and eat at the park....oops i cant spend money - so i walked home a very long walk i must say espically when your hungry and there are big hiss. but i survived and had the most wonderful lunch at home in the grass with the kids! and it was much healthier then what i would have gotten at the store!
#29 of 479 Old 05-01-2007, 01:46 PM

Hi,I'm Carol. Unschooling mom to 3 teenage sons, from Indiana.

Why am I doing this?
We're hoping to sell our house this summer. We're in the process of cleaning it up and de-cluttering it and its made me realize we have waaaaayyy to much junk. I look at the piles of stuff and just cringe at how much $$ down the drain it represents. I'm trying to figure out the "why" to why we've wasted so much $$ on so much junk over the past couple of years.

Game plan.
I think we (the kids and I) go shopping cause we're just plan bored. I hate where we live, we're out in the 'burbs with nowhere to go and nothing fun to do. So, we jump in the car and go shopping to break the monotony. Sooooo, we're trying to come up with things to do to keep us out of the stores and keep us busy. Cleaning and fixing up the house to sell is a big project,so that's our main goal for the month of may.

I'm also trying to shop less at the big chain stores and much more locally. I started this a few weeks ago and I already notice a big difference in our food budget AND in how much "stuff" we bring home. For instance, I am totally out of plastic shopping bags. I save them and use them for trash bags or dogpoop patrol, and I noticed a couple of days ago there are NONE left in the house at all. Usually my holder is overflowing with them.

ok, so i guess my short version would be
1. stay out of the chain stores
2. shop local as much as humanly and budgetairly possible.

so far day one,
#30 of 479 Old 05-01-2007, 01:55 PM

My names Amy..Im a sahm to a beautiful 8 month old ds! And have wonderful fiance.

Im wanting to do this because I really want to move out of my inlaws home!! so we need to save money!

Our biggest issue is the coffee truck at dh work...but mine is little things for crafting and for the ds!

I cant wait! I will be starting on the first sunday in may(we have a lunch to go to on sat as well as a town festival that families coming too)

But I cant wait!! I really think I can do this....my mom will get a card made on the computer with dss pic for mothers day lol!!

Good luck Mamas

mommy daddy son daughter = our family

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page