Starbucks and their $4 coffee drinks - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-14-2007, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avengingophelia View Post
Today, I hauled a french press that wasn't being used at home, a bottle of organic caramel syrup, some fresh ground organic dark roast beans, and a carton of organic 1/2 and 1/2 to work. I'm brewing up my own lovely coffee right here in the office, for free, and what I don't drink this morning can cool down and be iced this afternoon.
Way to go! I did a pitcher of coffee yesterday so this morning it is already cooled down and having my first cup of iced coffee.

I dug out of my garage sale pile a one cup coffee cone. You put a filter in it and can make one at a time. Some days I like my french press coffee a little less mucky so after I make my french press as I'm pouring it into my mug it filters through the cone. The other nice things is I can use the filter about a dozen times this way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykdsmomy View Post
I know we're spending too much money....money we dont really have but I also feel like it's the ONE thing in my life that's mine.

I've tried to make coffee at home...it's SOOOO not the same. It's all about getting out of the house, and getting that PERFECT drink.....I know I'm insane....I just dont know how to break the cycle.....
I can definitely relate to this, its a treat, its mine. I had broken the cycle but last week I was stressed plus my dad sent me a small monetary gift so I got back on the daily Mocha habit. :

This week if I go, it will be house money that I am spending and that's bad so back to no more afternoon mochas. Sigh...

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:25 PM

wow you girls need to come to my house to get an awesome coffee! If in the chicago area, always welcome for coffee at my house.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 05-14-2007, 11:20 PM

You would all be so proud of me today. I got a gift card for $25 from my Mother-in-Law for Mother's Day to Starbucks. It has been a whole month and a half since I have been there. I decided to give the card to my husband to use so that I could stick with my challenge.

Yippee to will power!!! DH was very happy
Old 05-15-2007, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosadesal View Post
-coffee mistos (also known as a cafe au lait at non sbux coffee shops). amazing. a coffee misto is just half coffee, half steamed milk. this is why it benefits you: say you get a latte. a tall is what, about $3? you're getting a teensy bit of espresso and a lot of milk and a little foam. granted, the espresso is stronger, but you get a half inch of it compared to 6oz. of brewed coffee which technically has about the same amount of caffeine anyway. AND, the brewed coffee changes weekly (or it should), so you get to try different kinds. if you like something fancy, add a pump of syrup, or try it with soy milk. almond soy mistos are fantastic, and you can get a venti for probably the price of a latte.
Thank you for this insider's secret!! I had read this a few days ago and then tried a misto the other night. It was soooo good! I just had a pump of vanilla in it, and found that I like it better than a lot of the specialty drinks. For one thing, it stayed HOT the entire time I was drinking it. I find that the other drinks cool off so darn quickly.

I actually don't spend a lot on Starbuck's because all my friends and family know how much I like it and buy me gift cards. I had $35 from Christmas that I just recently finished off, but got another $30 for my bday! And now it will last longer since I know about coffee mistos!

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

Old 05-15-2007, 12:46 PM

just popping in to say I fell off the wagon once in the last week and am trying to get up again and get right back on. Thus far I've saved over 30 bucks.

Who had a 35 dollar gift card from xmas? Frankly, I don't think you have a problem. I could easily spend 35 bucks a week on coffee and/or soda. :

off to brew myself a nice tasty beverage for my morning work.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 05-15-2007, 01:38 PM

Having owned my own coffeehouse, and having gone through nearly 2 extensive weeks of classes on how to brew coffee & pick your roast I know the process to make coffee at home can be frustrating. I read through all my training materials; then went out & found the following links on the web that might help those of you who want to try better coffee at home.

I know some sites say different quantities, etc. but since it is all so personal what one site says for one person my be the perfect cup and what another one says my be someone else's perfect cup. The key to the links are giving a great starting point for those wanting help. They sites include tips on beans, grinds, temperature, etc. I don't know anything about the companies themselves but their tips are great advice so please don't flame me if a company is not fair trade, organic etc. My goal was to link folks to good brewing tips.

Coffee Tips
More Coffee Tips
Some More
Last of the coffee tips.

Hope they help!
Old 05-15-2007, 01:41 PM

Wow, what fantastic resources. Thanks so much!

User Tag List