#62 of 142 Old 05-22-2007, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama View Post
bumping above all the spam!
thanks much!

oh my gosh i am in love! thanks for all the granols info. you all just made my day. and DH's life.

i just got a package of baby clothes and cloth diapers from a friend. it was a surprise. . i feel i really need to spread the wealth. i have 3 girls and TONS of clothes that were handed down to us from other mamas. i need to give back. the ones i am done with are all in great condition still. i have almost every size you can think of from birth to age 4 or 5. not too much once it gets into the 4 or 5 mark. anyways if you need cothes for your girlies please PM me about it. they are hand me downed hand me downs but i promise they are still wearable!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#63 of 142 Old 05-22-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuralea View Post
I feel like advertisments, both in TV and in magazines, and embedded in movies, work to twang our insecurities and make us unhappier.
: : :

have you checked out the tv free tribe?

any mamas want to send me a couple of their old copies of Hip Mama or Brain, Child. i would love to check them out and am pretty sure they don't have them at our local library (although i could be wrong). Are they less ad-based?
#64 of 142 Old 05-23-2007, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfuego View Post
: : :

have you checked out the tv free tribe?

any mamas want to send me a couple of their old copies of Hip Mama or Brain, Child. i would love to check them out and am pretty sure they don't have them at our local library (although i could be wrong). Are they less ad-based?
Thank you for the tip! I will go find that tribe.

Unfortunately, I give away my copies of Brain, Child after I get them, so I don't have any handy. My personal feeling is that they are a lot less advertiser-saturated than other magazines, because they tend to keep the ads in one spot in the back and then on whole pages. I think it's a great magazine.
#65 of 142 Old 05-23-2007, 07:34 AM

Maggie, I'm glad you were having a better day yesterday! That was so super nice of your friend! I need a few things for my dd 2T-3T, but I would feel bad if someone else needed them worse than I do. Please let me know if you don't find any takers, it's not the end of the world, I can always go garage saling! (Why doesn't saling look like it's correct, is it? Saleing, Saling, I don't know!)
I'll have to try the granola recipes. They sound yummy!
We're on the fine line of making too much to keep Isabel's medicaid based health insurance. But we don't make enough to pay for any on our own! So, I might cut down a shift or 2 a week at work to make sure we're under the income level to qualify. Is that unethical or immoral? Both my hubby and I work and pay taxes. We also pay $10 a month for her insurance. We just can't do it on our own. I feel bad, but what else can I do?

Wife to D (12/03) and totally smitten Mama to DD (4/05) DS (2/09) and expecting DD#2  6/23/11
#66 of 142 Old 05-23-2007, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The granola recipe sounds so good - can't wait to try it. I've never thought about making my own granola before...duh!

Kelly, I don't think that cutting back a shift so that you qualify for Medicaid is immoral or unethical. You have more of a responsibility to your children than to the government, you know? We're all without insurance right now, and I feel like it's immoral and unethical of our society to allow so many of us to be uninsured. We're moving to ny in a week, and I'll be looking hard for a job that offers affordable insurance for our family, or we'll be applying for Medicaid. DH works in the restaurant industry and any insurance he's been offered in the past has been too expensive for us. I really hope that changes for us soon. :
#67 of 142 Old 05-23-2007, 12:07 PM

Thanks Heather. I'm in the hospitality industry as well (although the hotel side) and we don't even get the chance to have insurance. It sucks so bad! Good luck with your move! I hope your dh finds a job with awesome benefits!

Wife to D (12/03) and totally smitten Mama to DD (4/05) DS (2/09) and expecting DD#2  6/23/11
#68 of 142 Old 05-23-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemongrass View Post
The granola recipe sounds so good - can't wait to try it. I've never thought about making my own granola before...duh!

Kelly, I don't think that cutting back a shift so that you qualify for Medicaid is immoral or unethical. You have more of a responsibility to your children than to the government, you know? We're all without insurance right now, and I feel like it's immoral and unethical of our society to allow so many of us to be uninsured. We're moving to ny in a week, and I'll be looking hard for a job that offers affordable insurance for our family, or we'll be applying for Medicaid. DH works in the restaurant industry and any insurance he's been offered in the past has been too expensive for us. I really hope that changes for us soon. :

I totally agree, people need medical coverage, do what you have to do mama.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#69 of 142 Old 05-23-2007, 03:28 PM

Yeah... cutting back shifts not only means that you keep your health insurance but also that you get to spend more time with your daughter.

That doesn't sound unethical or immoral to me. It sounds like being a good mama.
#70 of 142 Old 05-23-2007, 08:58 PM

hi again ladies,

just came to rant real quick before i go to work-

i missed a credit card payment. it was 3 days late. i've NEVER been late on it. i called immediately and payed $80 more than the minimum payment and guess what? they raised my interest rate from 10% to 32 freaking %!!!! i've been crying about it for 2 days. the balance on the card is almost $6,000. and it pisses me off so bad that everything we've used it for was medical bills, or groceries.

blogging.jpg 
#71 of 142 Old 05-23-2007, 11:51 PM

This *just* happened to a friend of mine. Is there anyway you could get a card with lower interest and no transfer fee to transfer it to? That is what she did. I know I wouldn't qualify, but thought I'd throw it out there. I am so sorry that happened to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by granolapunk View Post
hi again ladies,

i missed a credit card payment. it was 3 days late. i've NEVER been late on it. i called immediately and payed $80 more than the minimum payment and guess what? they raised my interest rate from 10% to 32 freaking %!!!! i've been crying about it for 2 days. the balance on the card is almost $6,000. and it pisses me off so bad that everything we've used it for was medical bills, or groceries.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#72 of 142 Old 05-24-2007, 02:03 AM

:
great info
#73 of 142 Old 05-24-2007, 12:29 PM

Brianna, that sucks so bad! Can you call them and work out something? I don't see why they have to triple it! that's crazy!
Thanks everyone, for reaffirming my decision. Although, it might not matter in a little bit. Dh's job is talking about cutting him back down to part time. Which would include a dollar an hour pay cut, plus he loses all his benefits options. He's only been fulltime since mid April! If they weren't planning on keeping him at fulltime, why did they bump him up? I'm nervous. It sucks. Blah. I need a nap...

#74 of 142 Old 05-24-2007, 02:43 PM

Hi there.

Glad to see I'm not alone. DH just completed college, so we stopped getting his $500 a month stipend. We are pay check to pay check, and then some.

Hopefully I get a 10% raise in July. DH currently has orders for 6 months of army training in September. If I can just hold out until then. I would have DH quit and be a SAHD, but we need day care when he is gone, and I don't want to lose DD's spot in her wonderful day care.

I'm so very tired of the fights and stress that having no money brings.
#75 of 142 Old 05-24-2007, 03:00 PM

I just registered for a Math class I need to take as a prerequisite for the RN program and when I went to talk to the financial aid office about my grant for Fall they told me the $400 I laid down for Summer might actually be reimbursed. Sweet! $400 is a LOT of money for us and it took us months to save it up. I wouldn't be reimbursed until mid-July but still, it'll help a lot.
I also got a surprise child support check from DS1's father so I'm (trying) to squirrel that away for my textbook which I can't buy until June 11th.
I'm feeling really hopeful and optimistic because this is just one little step towards my goal of eventually having a better life.
#76 of 142 Old 05-24-2007, 08:55 PM

My DH and I have been close to the line for Medicaid before, and we've made sure not to go over. There's no way we can afford to pay for healthcare without medicaid, so we make sure we don't work too much and get our kids off of medicaid. I don't feel that it's immoral or in any way wrong. If we could pay something (but not 50% of what we make) for healthcare, we'd do that. But we can't afford to pay a thousand dollars a month for that.

Do what you have to do to keep DD covered!
#77 of 142 Old 05-25-2007, 04:10 AM

Hi Mamas! I'm a SAHM of two who's currently attempting to find a place that's going to pay at least a bit more than minimum wage and hire someone with NO work history *sigh*

My kids are 8 and 11. My mom lives with us to help pay bills (so I could keep being a stay at home mom) but she lost her job for stealing. She worked there 15 years and made 18.50 and cannot replace that wage for what she does so the only way to survive and keep our home is for me to get a job.

Now the fun part is even after I get a full time job we'll probably be still living paycheck to paycheck because I'm replacing income... not making new.

I hate health care... HATE IT! We have insurance and it SUCKS and it's so hard to get my babies to the doctor. My son recently had to have a bunch of denatal work done (I had not taken him since we got off medicaid two years ago and the insurance hasn't paid ANYTHING of it and they are supposed to pay 1000 a year. The dentist doesn't know yet... he goes in tuesday for his last work and I am praying we can get out of there without too much drama. *sob*

Groceries are also a strain.

I don't like being poor, I want to have more but I don't care about *STUFF* and part of me knows if we did have more we'd just buy more stuff so maybe this is how it's supposed to be till we get more balanced inside of ourselves. I can survive this if thats the reason.

*HUGS MAMAS*

Mom to DD 14 and DS 12
#78 of 142 Old 05-26-2007, 02:29 PM

Cross-posted this in a discussion about SAH "welfare moms" in SAHM:

I work part time out of the home for 20 hours a week. I make $9.50 an hour which makes my take home pay about $700 a month.
With me not working, we got over $500 a month in food benefits.
While I am working we get about $100 in food benefits.
With me spending $35 a week on a babysitter and $70 every two weeks to fill up my gas tank plus the loss of food stamps, I am losing money to work, basically. I mean, if you count food benefits.
I am only open to working part time because I am in college full time, and I have very young children.
So.
Should I quit my job?
#79 of 142 Old 05-26-2007, 02:36 PM

Hi mamas, just wanted to invite you to oin or frugal mamas pool (linkd in my sig)

#80 of 142 Old 05-26-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post

I work part time out of the home for 20 hours a week. I make $9.50 an hour which makes my take home pay about $700 a month.
With me spending $35 a week on a babysitter and $70 every two weeks to fill up my gas tank plus the loss of food stamps, I am losing money to work, basically. I mean, if you count food benefits.
I am only open to working part time because I am in college full time, and I have very young children.
So.
Should I quit my job?
Unless you really love your job, or need it for an In for when you are out of school, i would. It's just not worth it to me to be gone those extra hours, and have the kids in daycare...

#81 of 142 Old 05-26-2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granolapunk View Post
hi again ladies,

That happened to us for the exact same reason. It's very disheartening when you're doing the very best you can

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#82 of 142 Old 05-27-2007, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1216 View Post
Maggie, I'm glad you were having a better day yesterday! That was so super nice of your friend! I need a few things for my dd 2T-3T, but I would feel bad if someone else needed them worse than I do. Please let me know if you don't find any takers, it's not the end of the world, I can always go garage saling! (Why doesn't saling look like it's correct, is it? Saleing, Saling, I don't know!)
I'll have to try the granola recipes. They sound yummy!
We're on the fine line of making too much to keep Isabel's medicaid based health insurance. But we don't make enough to pay for any on our own! So, I might cut down a shift or 2 a week at work to make sure we're under the income level to qualify. Is that unethical or immoral? Both my hubby and I work and pay taxes. We also pay $10 a month for her insurance. We just can't do it on our own. I feel bad, but what else can I do?
Have you looked at your states program? For example here in PA there is supposedly no income limit on the childs health care program.
#83 of 142 Old 05-27-2007, 04:33 AM

Quote:

So.
Should I quit my job?
Don't forget to factor in EIC. If your 8400 is the only income that's about $3400 in EIC, or about 285 a month, probably a bit more, they haven't made the schedule for 2007 yet. +500+100-140-140=605 compared with 500. (And people wonder why we have the EIC. Mind if I use this as an example to people?)

If it's not the only income, don't forget to factor in child tax credit. With four kids, you might be in a spot where you don't get much in EIC OR CTC.

Also consider how your kids do in childcare. I had one son who was much better off in the social environment of childcare, one who was miserable and would have been better off with mom.

Also, so you have a college degree (eventually). What does that mean without work experience? How will working now affect future income? What happens if something gets in the way of you finishing college? Work experience becomes even more important.

And what is your personal preference? Personally, working gives me a sense of pride that I just don't get when I'm home or even when I'm only going to school. It's also a sanity break. I'm a lousy housekeeper, and a mediocre cook, but I'm a great employee, and a much better mother when I am not around them 24/7.
#84 of 142 Old 05-27-2007, 12:29 PM

Well, my DH can claim the EITC and CTC and we have never taken it as a monthly thing, only an end of year tax credit.
My current job has nothing to do with the college degree I'm seeking so no matter what I do, post college I will not have any experience in the field I am going to school for.
My job is meaningless and gives me no pride or sense of accomplishment, nothing but a headache and I miss my three month old baby all day long.
My children do not go to daycare, I have been having various friends and acquaintances come to my house to care for them on Mondays, and over the weekends DH has them.
#85 of 142 Old 05-27-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Well, my DH can claim the EITC and CTC and we have never taken it as a monthly thing, only an end of year tax credit.
My current job has nothing to do with the college degree I'm seeking so no matter what I do, post college I will not have any experience in the field I am going to school for.
My job is meaningless and gives me no pride or sense of accomplishment, nothing but a headache and I miss my three month old baby all day long.
My children do not go to daycare, I have been having various friends and acquaintances come to my house to care for them on Mondays, and over the weekends DH has them.
If you're married, you get the max EIC in the 11,500 to 17,000 range. Lots of people will adjust their work schedules because when they start going up from 17k they lose money in their refund. The CTC is a little harder to figure out, but you could estimate it too.

For me, I feel better about working than taking money from charity or gov't program, even if I'm breaking even or worse, but that's just my value system, even if it isn't logical.
#86 of 142 Old 05-27-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gendenwitha View Post
If you're married, you get the max EIC in the 11,500 to 17,000 range. Lots of people will adjust their work schedules because when they start going up from 17k they lose money in their refund. The CTC is a little harder to figure out, but you could estimate it too.

For me, I feel better about working than taking money from charity or gov't program, even if I'm breaking even or worse, but that's just my value system, even if it isn't logical.
Your value system would make you want to be away from your 3 month old baby than to get food stamps?

Her baby needs her, and it is obvious that she needs to be with her baby. She is already going to school and her hubby is working. SHe is doing her fair share, and should be able to make the choice to stay home(a little more) without being made to feel like her values are in the wrong place.

This is a financially challenged SUPPORT thread.

#87 of 142 Old 05-27-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I think you just answered yourself right there.

{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Resistance is futile Matey
#88 of 142 Old 05-27-2007, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamoo View Post
Your value system would make you want to be away from your 3 month old baby than to get food stamps?

Her baby needs her, and it is obvious that she needs to be with her baby. She is already going to school and her hubby is working. SHe is doing her fair share, and should be able to make the choice to stay home(a little more) without being made to feel like her values are in the wrong place.

This is a financially challenged SUPPORT thread.
:
and we obviously have different values. i don't know about the other mamas here but i value family over pride.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#89 of 142 Old 05-27-2007, 08:55 PM

I love you guys.
#90 of 142 Old 05-28-2007, 12:58 AM

Our situation is about to get worse. DH didn;t go to work this week, he got the girls' flu and was at the dr a couple of times...and today he tells me he is not going in tommorrow...he is just quitting.

I understand his frustration. He was working at a job, got laid off, they had him start working in a differnet part of the factory(meat packing plant rather then milk powders). He was told he was next on the list to go back to his original job and it has been over 1 year. However. His job since he went back in february is 15$ and hour with a raise in july. With medical benefits(paid for hospital room stays) and when we have some extra money it will cover dental and prescriptions too(we pay for those things then get reimbursed). He has no education(not even high school) no special skills no drivers license, relying on bicycle or public transit to get to jobs. And even though I begged him, literally he is quitting. Really one of the only things going for him was that he had a strong work ethic, and worked hard, took whatever shift and did a good job, he progressively got better jobs(from 7$ an hour when I met him) based on good references, which will be out the window when he quits by not even calling, just by not showing up. I don't know what we will do. Our only income will be our child tax credit, which is 366.66 a month for our family of 4. I was worried about stupid things like clothes, and staying cool when we have breathing problems with no ac...now I am going to have to worry about paying the rent.

Nancy, Mom to Kyra (2005), Zoe (2006), Callie (2007) (2008), and Xavier (2009)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page