Financially Challenged Mamas! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 142 Old 05-30-2007, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nancy. No advice, just hugs. I'm sorry.

Wife to D (12/03) and totally smitten Mama to DD (4/05) DS (2/09) and expecting DD#2  6/23/11
#122 of 142 Old 05-30-2007, 10:24 PM

canadiannancy {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Do you have any type of "unemployment" or "welfare" type things you can apply for right now? The Canadian version that is??

Anything of his/yours to sell?

Any one time/emergency programs to apply to?

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Resistance is futile Matey
#123 of 142 Old 05-31-2007, 01:31 AM

As for unemployment...there is unemployment, except....we are still waiting for him to be paid unemployment from when he was laid off in the fall, and not sure if he would have enough hours, but it is irrelevant, because here, you cannot collect unemployment if you quit or got fired, only if you were laid off. I am supposed to receive a small amount of disability money, from my heart attack and subsequent depression/anxiety, but they have not been sending it, because they need paperwork from unemployment to say we haven't received anything yet(they didn't just believe me) and we have nothing to show them, because unemployment just says they are still working on our claim. I wish we had something to sell. I would...I tried to last year...tried to sell my desktop, but dh's friend bought it, mad a couple of payments and left town. Sold my AC because we had central air...same iou different person. We figured it out and between debts of money borrowed and people buying things and not paying we have over 1000$ outstanding that we will never see again. Our closest friends who were maid of honor and best man at our wedding stayed with us beginning of april. Stayed just a few days at our house(5) and borrowed app.70$ since then they have not returned our phone calls. For food we are mostly ok, receive food from participating in our food bank co op and a church program...but we are behind on bills from him being ill with lung issues, we owe every bill person our hydro was cut last month and will be cut again this month with no way to turn it on. The only thing I have stayed current on is rent, and the rent to own place who owns our bedroom set. the bedroom set only because we only have two payments left and we own it after 3 years and rent because it is geared to income housing and if we get kicked out we would not be eligible for any type of housing assistance in the future.

our house is mostly furnished with frrecyle and church member cast offs...right down to baby toys/cribs and couches and tvs...works for us but doesn't make very sellable. we don't own anything we could sell.

He talked about one thing he was depressed about is our church is very family oriented and he hasn't seen his family in over 16 years, since he was 14 and he can't very well honor his father and mother if he doesn't know if they are alive or dead...so he is turning away from church because he feels like he is failing commandments: . So our only family is my family...who are out of province and unhelpful. My Mom is helpful when she can be but she has been in the hospital ICU for over a month and they don't know if she will make it. They put a PICC line in because she had over 38 blown/collapsed veins in the time she was there. So I have no idea what to do ro where to turn...I will keep doing what I can, but at least being on here is free therapy...aat least ventwise...since we also lost our extended health and dental and prescription benefits.

Nancy, Mom to Kyra (2005), Zoe (2006), Callie (2007) (2008), and Xavier (2009)
#124 of 142 Old 05-31-2007, 01:51 AM

#125 of 142 Old 05-31-2007, 02:10 AM

Nancy, I am so sorry!

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#126 of 142 Old 05-31-2007, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Nancy

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#127 of 142 Old 05-31-2007, 11:24 AM

Nancy, you don't need to answer if you're uncomfortable about it, but what part of Canada do you live in? I'm wondering if there's anything I can help with. What kinds of jobs can your DH do?

I went through something similar last year, with DH being ill for most of the year, one of the managers in his company (who happens to hate DH) neglected to send in his forms for disability and we didn't find out until it was too late. We had to go through the process of getting doctor's notes and forms again (to the tune of $300), and after all of that work, it's been a year and he STILL has not received the money that was owed to him. That missing chunk of money put us so far behind that we're still struggling to catch up.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I know from experience that it's horrible to feel like there's a permanant rain cloud over your head.
#128 of 142 Old 06-01-2007, 03:06 PM

THANKS Maggie for that awesome bread recipe! I'm trying to cut HFCS out of our diets, which is especially challenging with very limited funds. I'm gonna try this bread!
#129 of 142 Old 06-01-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaWindmill View Post
THANKS Maggie for that awesome bread recipe! I'm trying to cut HFCS out of our diets, which is especially challenging with very limited funds. I'm gonna try this bread!
That totally reminds me!!! I tried out the bread with half white and half wheat flour and it turned out great. It rose a bit more and wasn't quite so dense (though still much denser than "air-bread"). DH loves it for sandwiches. THANKS!!

Emily
#130 of 142 Old 06-06-2007, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

good to know that bread recipe worked out for you guys! i'm going to have to try it with some white flour. i have a bag i want to get rid off.

things have been..... interesting.
i'll try and update later.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#131 of 142 Old 06-10-2007, 03:06 AM

Ugh. Things just got a little hairy here. We were on a budget plan with our gas company, and we just hit the 12th month where we have to pay any overages if we used more gas than our budget plan paid for. We owe the gas company $900. I don't know how that happened. To boot, I'm now late on my mortage (haven't paid May, and now June is late). We got a letter saying we're in default and we owe them $1500. We have about $700 until the 15th. I have to go grocery shopping, and still have money for gas in our cars (at least $50 probably). All our other bills are current, so I'll probably float those, but what do I do about mortage/gas? I can't make a full mortage payment ($740) but I could put a nice chunk down on my gas bill. Or I could put money down on every other bill we have and then use our next set of paychecks to pay the mortage, but then what do I do about gas? Ugh. This sucks.

Wife to D (12/03) and totally smitten Mama to DD (4/05) DS (2/09) and expecting DD#2  6/23/11
#132 of 142 Old 06-10-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1216 View Post
Ugh. Things just got a little hairy here. We were on a budget plan with our gas company, and we just hit the 12th month where we have to pay any overages if we used more gas than our budget plan paid for. We owe the gas company $900. I don't know how that happened. To boot, I'm now late on my mortage (haven't paid May, and now June is late). We got a letter saying we're in default and we owe them $1500. We have about $700 until the 15th. I have to go grocery shopping, and still have money for gas in our cars (at least $50 probably). All our other bills are current, so I'll probably float those, but what do I do about mortage/gas? I can't make a full mortage payment ($740) but I could put a nice chunk down on my gas bill. Or I could put money down on every other bill we have and then use our next set of paychecks to pay the mortage, but then what do I do about gas? Ugh. This sucks.
I think you need to get the gas bill explained better to you first before you pay on it. You need to look at the actual paperwork for that.

I would think even a partial mortgage payment would help... plus it's harder to live without a house than without gas for said house.

Resistance is futile Matey
#133 of 142 Old 06-10-2007, 03:05 PM

I agree Kelly. I would pay most of the mortgage, leave just enouh for food/gas and talk to the gas company to make sure there is no errors, since we are already into june...I wouldn't want to wait and have no house either!
We are actually without gas right now...I am hoping to straighten it all up by the fall....cause a water birth is not happening in cold water(or house)!

#134 of 142 Old 06-11-2007, 04:25 AM

Thanks, Dh is going to call the gas company Monday and figure out a payment plan, and to verify that everything is correct. I can't figure out how we owe that much. He's also going to call the mortage company and see if they'll accept a partial payment. This just sucks. We were doing so well, I thought, but I guess I'm in denial!
Nancy, we had our gas shut off when dd was 2 months old. I cried and cried on the phone to the company, but since it was June and we "made too much" they had every right to shut it off and wouldn't work with us at all. We had to pay off $400 plus $500 deposit. My MIL covered the deposit for us, thank goodness. It was so hard! I hope you can figure everything out so you can have your homebirth (and heat!)

#135 of 142 Old 06-27-2007, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolucionaria View Post
this may not be a popular criticism, bc i am sure most of us on this site are big mothering mag fans, but i am starting to find that mothering mag does not really address issues pertaining to folks like me. ...
sometimes i get overwhelmed by page after page of beautiful advertisements for things i cannot afford.
In my quest to separate needs from wants (and focus on the needs as we strive to reduce/remove our debt)...yeah, I don't get any magazines. I bet Mothering would be cool, but I don't get any. When my mom asks what we want for Christmas, I always tell her The Ensign (a church magazine that I find very uplifting and encouraging) and the Readers Digest. So she usually gets me those subscriptions. Last christmas my MIL asked what she could get me for christmas, and since I had my first baby due in a month, I told her what I really wanted was a good quality nursing bra, so she gave me cash to go get one. Man I love that bra! It's the only really good one I have! (I have a few used from my mom, which are falling apart and don't fit quite right, but I couldnt' afford others, you know? So I make do).

I agree that it's hard to look out at all those things and think 'gee, I could get all organic clothing for my baby' and then realize that would cost $1000...and that i can have plenty of clothing for him (used and gifts) for next to nothing. I think I've spent about $20 on things for him--not counting the cloth diapers (which I make myself, and which cost me about $4/diaper). We debated that one a little bit, but realized that I could make pockets and AIOs of all new materials and that it would STILL be cheaper than disposables, and dh wasn't about to try to deal with prefolds (and, honestly, I didn't want to either, lol!). So we did kinda splurge there i guess, but we did the cheap version of splurging. LOL
We grow our own garden and I cook from scratch and shop sales, but other than dairy, we're not really getting organic foods. We just can't figure out how to afford it. We decided that dairy was the most important to get organic, so we do that, but between our garden for veggies, and a local orchard for fruit, we decided that buying organic produce at the store (and organic everything else) was jsut too pricy.

I sew, and so I do a lot of mending and making things where I can. (I sell some stuff also). DS7 goes through the knees of everything he wears, and so after a patch or two I just cut them off into shorts. The other day he said "mom, my collection of pants keeps shrinking, and my collection of shorts keeps growing!"
Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without, you know?!

So, in the idea of needs vs wants...well, we talked about giving up our netflix subscription, but realized that the reason we got it in the first place was that we don't go out to movies, and so we like to rent them occasionally...we kept track for a couple of months and realized that we were spending about $20/mo on movie rentals just to see 4-5 movies, and that for the same amount we could get three times as many via netflix--with no gas cost. So we switched. We also talked about giving up the internet, or switching to dial up instead of high speed...well, we decided that our sanity was worth the cost (I would go nuts only talking to kids all day! I need MDC and my email groups!) Plus I sell my sewing online, and I need to be able to upload pictures and things like that, and we didnt' want me to be tying up the phoneline for hours at a time to do that. So I guess those are techincally 'wants' that we are keeping, but we both know we'd spend the money in little splurges to still fillthose wants (movies and companionship), so we felt it was the wiser route.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#136 of 142 Old 06-27-2007, 11:55 PM

oh, by the way, my intro...
I'm jenni, SAHM/WAHM to W (age 7) and S (5mo). DH is a school teacher, and also has a daily early morning paper route to make ends meet. He actually lost his job this last spring, so he's currently desperately looking for another one. He's had over a dozen interviews, but nothing has come through yet, so that's super stressful. His paychecks continue until august, but meanwhile we've got to get a new job or we'll be in big trouble come fall. He's looking into options besides teaching, but we dont' know what will end up happening. Like i mentioned before, i sew things and sell them online (cloth diapers, baby stuff, mama cloth, etc) but that's slow and inconsistent...We both feel really stronly about me staying home with the boys, so i'm not going to do anything more than my very part time sewng.

typing with a baby in my lap who is chewing on my arm...forgive the typos|!

#137 of 142 Old 06-27-2007, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolucionaria View Post
i think its probably more difficult to be just above the poverty level to not get assistance, bc after paying atrocious insurance bills, you are probably back below the poverty level again! it makes it really hard to break out of the cycle of poverty and debt and dependence.
this is exactly where we are. The baby and I ARE on WIC, but we make just barely too much (like $200) to be eligible for medicaid or food stamps or other help like that. Man, with food stamps I could afford organic!!!

#138 of 142 Old 06-28-2007, 12:06 AM

We just got a bunch of boys clothing (mostly teeshirts) from my SIL (she has only one boy, just a year older than ds7, and she passes on all his stuff as he outgrows it). Anyway, so I've been paring down ds's drawers. Like I said, it's mostly tee-shirts, but if anybody is in need of stuff in about size 6/8, pm me and I'd be happy to send it on. Otherwise I'll just take it to goodwill...but I always like to see things get passed on for free if I can. They are techincally boy's shirts, but i guess they're generic enough...a girl could probably wear most of them.

jenni

#139 of 142 Old 06-28-2007, 12:28 PM

Hi Jenni... The mention of the Ensign in your first post to this thread totally gave you away.

I'm so sorry about your DH losing his job! I hadn't heard that. I'll be praying that everything works out for you guys! Maybe he won't find anything in Utah and you guys will have to move to Oregon .

On a happier note, and since I haven't posted to this thread in a while...

We have officially moved to Oregon. My parents have very graciously opened their home to our little family. We have stacks of boxes, our computer desks, and a couch crammed in their little dining room, and everything else is in their bonus room, which we are using as a bedroom.

Five days before our move we got the best news ever... DH was offered an internship with Intel. It's a six-month internship, and we have no idea what will happen after that, but they pay really well, and it looks like we'll be able to get insurance to pay for the baby on the way. Also, because we're living with my parents, we'll be saving a ton on rent and stuff... we'll be putting almost two-thirds of our paycheck into savings for the next five months and by Thanksgiving we'll have our credit cards payed off and a 50% downpayment for the minivan we NEED. (There is no way three carseats are fitting in the back of our Camry... plus, that car has 193,000 miles on it already.)

I am so incredibly grateful for these blessings we've been given recently. I don't know how we would have survived without this internship falling into our laps... and if we hadn't been able to move in with my parents... we would have been seriously broke.

I have to keep trusting that everything will work out eventually... even if it's not when and how we would like.

Emily
#140 of 142 Old 06-28-2007, 02:26 PM

I'm just sending out hugs to everyone on this thread who needs a hug...or doesnt
#141 of 142 Old 06-28-2007, 06:10 PM

Anybody wonder how you can wait so eagerly for money for soooo long...and POOF! It is gone? We finally got our income taxes...a thousand dollars...and 830 went to get our gas turned back on!I am greatful we got it...but man it hurt to make that payment!Oh well....at least I know we will have heat this winter and it will be nice to have hot water again...I know it is not a necessity...but it is deinitely something I am used to having

#142 of 142 Old 07-07-2007, 04:30 PM

: : Hey everyone......will write more later

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page