Low Income Benefits Sites - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-28-2007, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I've become intersested in how the whole Welfare/Low Income assistance works so I decided to do some research on it tonite, and I found a site that lets you see by state what kind of benefits are available,the policy manuals, Online Applications, Eligiblity calculators and Program descriptions all with the links to each states various programs
Perhaps its been posted on here before, but I thought some of y'all may find it useful. BTW I hope I'm not offending anyone by posting this link...

I wanted to suggest too that Catholic Charities also has quite numerous assistance programs, and of course they wouldn't deny someone because they are not Catholic.
#2 of 9 Old 05-28-2007, 04:07 AM

Thank you! I'm glad to see they list a WONDERFUL site for Oregon residents (the OregonHelps site, it's soooo nice).

I've heard many many times that churches don't care about your specific religion (even if you athiest, and it's a Catholic church!), that they would help anyone. But of course, I'm sure some churches (people..) discriminate.
#3 of 9 Old 05-28-2007, 10:30 AM

I've had nothing but wonderful experiences with local churches and they have been by far the most generous, and we are basically agnostics.

There's www.unitedway.org (I believe that's right but I'll double check)

recently posted was http://www.modestneeds.org/ - if you are slightly far enough of the poverty level to not qualify for gov't programs but still need help.

Maybe we should compile as many as possible and make it into a nice and neat sticky!

:
#4 of 9 Old 05-28-2007, 10:41 AM

This site is by the national council on aging, but anyone can use it. It is pretty quick and anonymous. It gives you links to all the programs you might be eligible for.

benefits checkup

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#5 of 9 Old 05-28-2007, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberMama View Post
Thank you! I'm glad to see they list a WONDERFUL site for Oregon residents (the OregonHelps site, it's soooo nice).

I've heard many many times that churches don't care about your specific religion (even if you athiest, and it's a Catholic church!), that they would help anyone. But of course, I'm sure some churches (people..) discriminate.
Yes I am sure this happens too and I think its so sad What a horrible way to show someone what Christianity is really about! Also I forgot to mention that if you do need medical help, I'd also recommend a Catholic hospital, because they'll be more likely to forgive the bill or at least cut it in half. Now let me say too though that there are some hospitals who are Catholic only in name and not actions such as these....
#6 of 9 Old 05-28-2007, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Here is one for theUS Government listing information on over "1000 benefits and assistance programs". It will let you scroll through a list that lets you select what meets your needs the best. It will also let you pre-determine your eligibilty for the private and government programs.

Another siteMedline provides health financial resources from financial assistance to people with cancer to assistance in organ transplants.

This program for parents and it seems mostly "fathers" helps men find jobs, helps with child support, provides assistance as needed This site actually provides a better explantion of it all
#7 of 9 Old 05-28-2007, 10:48 PM

Location: State of confusion at just about every turn, Or Louisiana
What helpful links. Could someone get a mod to sticky them to the top of the forum? These could be useful to so many people. Thanks for the links.

love and blessings
angie
#8 of 9 Old 05-29-2007, 08:32 PM

I haven't looked at all of the links yet but I wanted to add one. It just for Massachusetts, but well organized and usefull.
www.massresources.org

Jess, mom to Phelan Quinn (9/23/95), Wiley Rogue (10/29/03), and Victor Xerxes (9/10/08) and still married to my giant!
#9 of 9 Old 05-29-2007, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

I am going to keep adding sites that I hope might help someone. I used to work in development, so I enjoy this kind of research stuff

National Center for Law and Justiceprovides Legal Services for those who have been unjustly denied benefits...

The USDA "10 Steps to Help You Fill Your Grocery Bag Through The Food Stamp Program" is a good basic place to start understanding how Food Stamps work.

The Finance Project does a great job of explaining how the welfare works and what role the federal government plays in it all.

This organization provides emergency and temp housing, health care etc in extreme situations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page