~~~No Spending in June~~~a support group...please join us at any time! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-31-2007, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Heather*** View Post
I have a small garden on our balcony. Lettuce, chives, basil, parsley, cherry tomatoes and green peppers. I love going out there to get some lettuce for a salad! :
...I'm going over to Heather's for salad! YUM! (Someday I'm going to have a garden like that...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2007, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Tomorrow is the first day of no-spend June....

Let's make the first day of the challenge be a blueprint for the days to come.

Hold tight to those wallets!!!! There is nothing you have to buy tomorrow that you can't buy on July 1st instead, right?

Make tomorrow count.

Go Frugal Mamas Go!!!!

Old 05-31-2007, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was just reading through the posts and I started thinking "Wow, wouldn't it be nice if we all lived near each other so we could entertain each other for free???"

Is everyone ready? I'm 99% sure that I'll be good tomorrow. We're going to the zoo (I have a pass) and we'll bring snacks & water. It should be a good day!

I just went through and paid every single bill that's come in, so I'm weeks ahead, but have very little cash. I'm hoping that know that our account is tight will stop me from making frivolous purchases.

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

Old 05-31-2007, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milosmomma View Post
I just went through and paid every single bill that's come in, so I'm weeks ahead, but have very little cash. I'm hoping that know that our account is tight will stop me from making frivolous purchases.
This works! We did this one month and it really kept us in line. Thanks for reminding me.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
Old 05-31-2007, 10:53 PM

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.
I'm Liz. My husband and I are currently DINKs, but we expect that to change soon. We plan on TTC in the next month or so...

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of June.
We've been spending money like crazy. I feel like our finances are out of control. We don't plan and we don't budget. I think we could be saving more with a little planning. Our lack of planning is also very wasteful, such as when we eat out when there's a refrigerator full of food at home.

3. Please tell us your game plan -- what are your goals and how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?
This actually isn't the best time to begin such a project, and I'm afraid I will have several large exceptions - a vacation that's in a few weeks as well as major home renovations. But there's still a lot I can do:
-not shopping for "fun". avoiding certain stores such as Target.
-planning what I need before I go to the store. making a list and sticking to it.
-eating at home (this is a big issue for us).
-using the library instead of the bookstore.

Looking forward to sharing ideas and motivation.

Baby Boy 9/08 & Baby Girl 3/11

Old 06-01-2007, 03:15 AM

1. My name is Sarah, I'm a SAHM to twins who just turned 1. I'm obsessed with my children's nutrition and education.

2. We've been dipping into our savings at the end of every month and we NEED to stop. We are also jumping into the real estate market and need to save for any updates our future house may need. Also, we have TONS of crap we don't need that is just cluttering up our tiny house.

3. I plan to really pause and think before buying something. Do I need it? Do I have something similiar already? Is it something I can borrow or put off buying for a few months? How much room will it take up in my home?

SAHM to twin kindergarteners

Old 06-01-2007, 08:49 AM

I'm really excited about today! I am not going anywhere today so I cannot spend anything. It's so tempting as I love shopping, even just looking around, but I know I will be much happier if I put the wallet away!

Some things out of the ordinary I have to buy this month are DD needs new shirts. She's growing so fast I can't keep up! She's two and wearing size 6-7 (of course girl's clothes these days are so short that I have to buy big just to be long enough). I'm thinking about $10 at the second hand store. Our car insurance is due this month, which is $400 (thank goodness for driving an older car!!). The car is up for inspection and I know there is work that needs to be done. It's going to kill me as we just recently spent more than $700 fixing it (dang having to drive an old car . The money always gets you somewhere!). There were a couple of other things I can't remember...but I'm sure they will come to me.

Here's to a cheap month!!
Old 06-01-2007, 10:50 AM

Carla,

I have some girls size 6/6x shirts that dd hardly got to wear. They are yours if you want them!
Old 06-01-2007, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

I should be good today...I'm at home all day too...

But tomorrow is dangerous for me because it is yard sale day.

I'm looking for a bike for my daughter's birthday and (also) clothes size 6...but I need snowsuits and boots and such for next winter.

I'll have to evaluate my purchases (because I know there will be some) to make sure they are ~needs~ and not impulse buys. Clothes for winter are a need.

The bike...well, not so much.

Oh and another big temptor on the horizon this weekend is the Balloon and Music Festival that is at the fairgrounds within walking distance of our house. Admission is $10. But I'm trying VERY hard not to go over there. It is a balloon festival...so you can SEE the balloons very well from my house, you don't necessarily have to pay $10 to stand on the other side of the fence, right?

They have animal shows that my daughters would enjoy too...but we have a pass to a petting zoo for the year that is already paid for. So I'm trying to resist that balloon festival.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:26 AM

we have a free festival here tonight but I'm sure we will have to pay for parking. dh is home early enough tonight so we can eat dinner before heading down at least. I am nervous because I may crack already since I am sure since I don't want to spend money I will find a painting I have been looking for years for - the festival is in a little historic district where we were married & I have been looking for a painting/print of the church that suits my style since we were married!

Kate, BioMama to Emma Lu, Elliana - Almost Mama to Martin, & Foster Mama to Baby T
Old 06-01-2007, 11:35 AM

Hey Mama Kate, fellow San Antonioian here I'm sure you can find a painting of the church next month, if you really want one!

Ladies, already the dogs of temptation are barking at my doorstep. My oldest broke his swim goggles and we are going swimming tomorrow. He is asking me to take him to buy more, and even says he will use his own money. Tomorrow is allowance day. I am thinking of giving the kids allowance a day early, and letting him get the goggles using his $.

I'm out of paper towels but that's not a need. I can use cloth wipes for cleaning (just cleaned my kitchen btw).

I'm using homemade cleaning products this month. The stuff I made up for kitchen cleaning smells wonderful.

I forgot to budget anything for Father's Day, too. I may see what I can do as far as getting the kids to make something for him.

We'll be walking to the park in a few minutes... just getting out of the house will be good.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:58 PM

My name is Melody. I'm a homeschooling mama to three little boys (7, 5, and 15 months). We live in Western Mass.

I'm joining because it occurs to me that I have trouble telling a difference between need and want. I have a tendency to sit and obsess and go back and forth with every purchase. Things are tight here. Very tight this month. We really want to be able to turn out tiny little cabin into a modest home. I need to keep that in mind and be working towards that goal all the time.

My plan for the month is to try to reduce spending in every area I can.

* Try to cut down on our electric bills.

* Try to eat as much out of the pantry, garden and wild-crafting areas as possible. Stop having DH pick me up little snacks and desserts (a bad habit I got into in the last month).

* Try to make the summer clothes that we need from my fabric and yarn stash. Repair existing clothes within reason.

I am going to try to spend nothing extra this month. The bugs have been just awful this year, so when DH's paycheck comes next week I will be ordering a chemical free bug repellent so that we can spend more time tending our veggie gardens (we get chased back in after a bit, as it stands now, and the kids are having trouble sleeping because they are so itchy ). I think I found an inexpensive idea for Father's Day gifts, it will require a couple of supplies, but they will be cheap. I'm going to keep thinking and maybe I can come up with something out of supplies I already have. I'm already almost done the gift for the baby shower I'm attending next week, but I will probably send a check form my cousin's graduation (teenage boys don't tend to be real keen on home-made gifts). DH is going to need a drs appointment (co-pay) and to have a prescription filled. That is unavoidable. Those are the only foreseeable expenses beyond gas and food that I can think of for the month.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:54 PM

I'm back because I remembered that I ordered some yarn through a co-op last month and the shipping may come through this month. Also there will be postage for other things too. Plus, our dues for our homeschooling chorus. Gosh, it just all multiplies and snow-balls, doesn't it?? It seems like there is so much already to spend money on and I know I must be forgetting things and that other things will come up as the we move through the month.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:57 PM

OK Did good today!! I went and got DH's check and didn't go anywhere else! Which means for today! WooHoo! I just counted up and for May I had 20 's out of 31. I'm going to try to do better this month though.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:02 PM

purposefulmother Can you share how you made your cleaners?

Melody Would you mind sharing what the father's day gift idea is? I need some ideas for dh's father day gift. :-)
Old 06-01-2007, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

June 1 $8.50 diaper

Woohoo! I'm off to a great start, eh??

Like Autumn, this was payment for a diaper I bought a few days ago, but I had to pay it today.

But I'm not going to let a little slip-up dampen my enthusiasm There will be slip-ups. I'm going to keep pushing on and vow that $8.50 is all I will spend today.

Frugal Progress:

1. CD Eleanor and Family cloth
2. Hanging laundry outside to dry
3. Didn't drive anywhere today, letting the car rest
4. Walked to the gym

I'm counting going to the gym in my frugal progress because the gym is something I have already paid for (two year contract) and anytime I entertain myself with something I've already paid for, I'm counting that as progress.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

I had 19 for May and frittered $265 on unecessary spending.

I'm recording it here because our May thread will disappear and I'm sure I'll forget that by the end of the month. My goal, like Kelly, is to beat that this month.

Go no-spenders go!!!

Old 06-01-2007, 03:12 PM

Reminder to all: stay off the TP. Very dangerous.
Well I've been good so far today, but haven't left the house yet.

Mama to 3:
Old 06-01-2007, 03:19 PM

My total for un-necessary spending was $144.50 yikes!!!

On the up side I haven't used my dryer in 4 days!!!! And my little brother is turning 5 on Sunday but no $$ spend for a present b/c I had already bought him something what I found cheap that I knew he would love several weeks ago. Yeah! So the only purchases I can forsee is a sling from a wonderful lady on the TP, some new summer clothes for me (but they have to come from yard sales/thrift shops/Steve & Barrys..LOVE that store!!!!), and father's day (I have 3 dad's and my dh to buy for).
Old 06-01-2007, 03:42 PM

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.
My name is Maggie. I work fulltime and have three children. I am blessed to have my mother watch the kids while I work.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of June.
We are broke and way in debt. DH was off of work for a year due to a medical condition. I went back to work, but did not make enough so we started living off of credit cards. We were in denial for a long time thinking the situation would get better. He is back to work, but making a lot less than he did. In fact, we both make less than what he used to make alone! I wish I could erase time and not spend like we did. He made a lot of money and we lived like it. We had no problem paying for those things at the time, but now we can't afford it. Now I know it is smart to live below your means.

3. Please tell us your game plan -- what are your goals and how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?
Eating at home only. We are at the lake at his parents house and will need to eat out lunch on the way home, but other than that no more! I do need a bathing suit, but I might hit my cousin up for one. She often gives me her old clothes.

Maggie, wife and mom to three
Old 06-01-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post
I don't know if I've ever introduced myself here! I'm Melissa, mom of two girls (4 3/4 and 1 3/4).

Quote:
I've really fallen off the frugal wagon lately : Since my first was a baby, we've gotten fabulous hand-me-downs from my best friend, but her brother and SIL had a baby girl shortly afterward. So after each season of wear, I give the clothes back. This was the first season that I needed to buy a significant amount of clothing (and shoes) for both girls, and even though I got almost all of it on eBay, it was still : And the shopping seemed to set off my long-repressed buying urges, because I found myself buying HS curricula that I've wanted forever (amazing deals, but still), books, etc. I'm still not quite sure where it all went. But my true weakness is food. I work from home, but have no childcare, so I fall into the fast/convenience food trap WAY too often. I've managed to be cooking at home more, but it always seems I'm missing something and need to run to the store, etc.

Quote:
3. Please tell us your game plan -- what are your goals and how do you plan to approach no spending for a month
My plan is to rein in my spending this month. No unnecessary items, as little fast food as possible etc. Basically, I just need to stop buying stuff! I also want to try to bring IN a little money this month--I have a double jogger and a stroller/car seat combo I hope to move on craigslist, and some unused kids' items I want to sell on the TP.

Exceptions: I need to buy a Father's Day gift for my DH, and he does not believe in frugal gifts, unfortunately. I don't know what I'm going to do yet. I also need to buy a gift for my grandmother's 75th--we normally don't, but it's a special b-day, and the rest of the family kind of bailed on her (it's a long story).

I hope I can make this work! I really need to get on the wagon :

TALLY:

June 1
Wawa additions to dinner (and the requisite teeny weeny peppermint patties): $4; Food at show: $11 -- $15

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
Old 06-01-2007, 04:01 PM

I probably won't post here much but I'm in. I'm putting an offer on a house today though so I may or may not have some expenses this month but beyond that, gas, and groceries, I'm vowing to not spend!!

Edit: As my siggy says, I'm a single mama to a 2.5 yo boy. I'm a shiftworker, single income with minimal $100/month support from his dad (who is slowly becoming a presence in our son's life). I've started serging up some cloth tp, use cloth pull-ups on B, am currently working my way through a batch of homemade laundry detergent, but that's about the extent of my "smart" choices. The other choices aren't un-smart, just not necessarily very conscious of saving.

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

Old 06-01-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post

I'm Joanna, SAHM and newbie homesteader. We are in house-poverty. 'House-poor' doesn't cover it. We are also in VT - up in the NEK - hi Vermonters!

Simply because I must. My partners salary was rearranged recently at work, and our already tight-to-the-bone budget was ruined completely. I also am a big believe in simplifying, so I do look forward to it in a way too...

Well we currently have next to nothing in the pantry, so food spendings gonna have to happen. Gas is for DP's work. Other than that, I do yard sale, but I will make certain to keep it to needs this month. The only other things I will spend money on (presuming money becomes available to spend are things I _know_ will save me money. And those I'll try to find used/free anyways. (like our fridge is 25 years old, and the hotwater heater - you don't want to know what our electric bill looks like!)

I also am going to try to find as many free/near to free resources as possible for stocking up - both on food, and wood, and other actual necessities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyamanda View Post
We are gluten-free and dairy-free, also cane-sugar free, and have a number of picky eaters (two at least are sensory-based) so it's not easy for us to eat for cheap.
Any suggestions on eating GF less expensively would be greatly appreciated!!! That is really rough on us...
Old 06-01-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KariAnn View Post
Carla,

I have some girls size 6/6x shirts that dd hardly got to wear. They are yours if you want them!
Oh, that is so kind and sweet of you but I know it would cost a lot for shipping (my paypal is dry right now ). I found out the second hand store I was going to is going to be 65% off on Monday so I am going to there. Plus I mentioned it in passing to mom, so she'll probably come by with a bag of shirts later, lol!

Thank you so much for offering though!

From the May thread I mentioned my fridge dying (and losing tons of food : ). They finally fixed it so I am looking at having to restock. I'm going to get DH to pick up eggs (I prefer fresh; I ended up freezing 4 dozen eggs : ). I also need fresh produce as most of my veggies are looking pretty gross. I think we'll go to the fruit and veggie stand when DH gets home. It's so depressing
Old 06-01-2007, 05:34 PM

Shoot, I already screwed up!

I went to a rummage sale and bought tons of children's books and a little outfit for Ruthie, damage was only $5 and they do need books.

SAHM to twin kindergarteners

Old 06-01-2007, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

pitter pater -- My motto in those situations is FIDO -- forget about it and drive on...

This support group is all about ~progress not perfection~

So if you spent the money, you spent it...Now plan to make the REST of June a great no-spend month.

I had a slight misstep the first day too...but I'm going to have a rockin' rest of June.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Today is grocery-menu-planning day for me...last month I was able to grocery shop only once the entire month. (Thanks to Cindy's Front Porch Forum) Which was a big shock to me. I didn't think we would make it the whole month.

I had to run to the store for milk, bread, bananas once...but not a major shopping trip.

My dilemma today though is that I signed up for one of those CSAs...Community Farm Shares...where you get produce every week from a farm.

Has anyone done that before? Should I not buy veggies tomorrow? The farm share starts on June 11th.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:46 PM

Oooh - which one? We are trying Riverview Farms this year, but ours hasn't started yet. I am _really_ hoping that this will be a big savings for us...we do like our fresh veggies, but they cost! We will be putting in a garden next year - gardening is therapy but we just moved here so this year we are concentrating on things that will take a while to get settled, like asparagus.

Cindy's front porch thread?
Old 06-01-2007, 06:50 PM

we went to a PYO strawberries--not a problem. the problem was the three pieces of fudge that i also bought while there! so (i'm including groceries because some were for in-laws, bought a lot just because...)

1 - $34 (3.50 for the fudge : )

progress:

these strawberries were 1.99/lb and they use IPM. the organic ones i usually get are about 3.69/lb.
hang/rack dry laundry.
a/c is set on 80 downstairs and 82 upstairs.

slow the wagon down and let me jump on!

sarah
Old 06-01-2007, 07:14 PM

June 1.
I've been doing some work from home to supplement my parental leave pay from the government. This is legal. But since I'm self-employed, now my claim has to go through an insurance agent, and the form is paper: and takes four weeks to process:, which is not something I was told by the three our four Service Canada employees and websites I've dealt with in the process of reporting earned income.: : : I'm not getting any more payments for a month. We're on a fairly aggressive savings plan and this is not budgeted for. Luckily we usually pay for monthly expenses up front and so we can float this month. But if they don't fix it on schedule DH is going to have to cough it up. I hope he likes beans and rice.

Going to the farmer's market tomorrow - wish me luck and frugality!

User Tag List