~~~No Spending in June~~~a support group...please join us at any time! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 598 Old 06-02-2007, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

My name is Stephanie. I am a SAHM to one and we are expecting a baby in January We live in (expensive) Southern California.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of June.

I spent way too much this past month. When I found out that I was pregnant I was all excited and bought a few new maternity/nursing items. Then I overspent on gifts for my son's second birthday. When my father passed away I was depressed and started online shopping to cheer myself up.

3. Please tell us your game plan -- what are your goals and how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?

No more frivolous items for me or my kids (stay out of walmart, target, joann's). No more eating out (this will be hard because I have been craving cheeseburgers like crazy ). So my big plan is to do meal planning and keep the house stocked with plenty of food. I will spend money on my husband's father's day and birthday gifts. I also sell on hyenacart so I need to focus on stocking items there! I'm planning to sew myself some new maternity clothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 598 Old 06-02-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenegirl View Post
Well, it is yard sale day, but it is pouring rain. I am still going to check out a couple of the indoor sales, though. There is only one I really, really want to go to -- a sale to raise money for an avian rehabilitation place. I have had a new pair of binoculors on the wish list for a while and I'm hoping they might have some for a good price.
I went to 9 garage sales, but bought nothing. I am going back to one of them with DH, though. They had a table saw for $50. The guy said he couldn't adjust the height of the blade on it. He bought the thing for $375. I'm thinking if we go back at the end of the day and he still has it, we'll offer $25 and maybe go up to like $35 for it. My uncle can probably fix whatever is wrong with it, but I hate to drop $50 on something I'm not sure about. DH has been wanting a table saw. He is going to build some cabinets and bookshelves and wasn't looking forward to doing it with the hand tools he has. A table saw will make it much easier to do these projects, and DH building them will save us a lot of money over buying new ones or hiring someone to fix them.
#123 of 598 Old 06-02-2007, 12:42 PM

I'm feeling good.

June 1st: Tim Horton's coffee me $1.55
June 2nd: Garage sale finds $22.50

I'm changing my rules. DH's coffee might end up costing more than $25/mth. Tim Horton's is right beside where he works. He does a lot of overtime and works hard. It's his treat. He can have "unlimited" coffee and I'm not going to keep track. I WILL, however, limit & track how much *I* drink.

Ok, and here's a breakdown of my garage sale finds:

4 plastic/metal, stackable, bright coloured, quality chairs. (2 red, 2 orange) and a quality tv tray table in mahogany finish = $20CAD total

Large cooking pot, good condition = $2

Cute little sandals for cute little niece $0.50

I came in well under budget *and* got stuff that I needed. :
#124 of 598 Old 06-02-2007, 01:19 PM

Yesterday I didn't spend any money!!! Today I have a breakfast meeting, but I think I'll eat my regular breakfast here and then just get coffee or something small at the restaurant. I'm also going to be away from home from 10am-10pm today, so I'm eventually going to buy some food because I didn't leave myself enough time to pack something...drat! Well, I have a little time, I'll see what I can scrounge up...

We're officially TTC!!!

I blog about traditional foods, nurturing creativity, keeping a simple home, and the elements of crafting a meaningful life at www.maggiesnest.org.
#125 of 598 Old 06-02-2007, 01:24 PM

Also spent nothing yesterday. Today I'll be taking inventory of the freezer and pantry so I can use up things and plan meals for the week. Yesterday we took a long walk through the neighborhood and had a great time...the kids enjoyed seeing all the summer flowers and hearing all the bird songs and the background noises of summer.

Today we are going swimming (free) and tonight some friends are having us over for a cookout (free food, yay!).

This afternoon I'll go grocery shopping.

I told the kids I only want to drive 3 days a week, but they pointed out that going to church on Sunday involves driving, so it's 4 days a week. We're doing a study (my ds's idea) to see how long we can make one tank of gas last. That tank cost me $43 so I hope it lasts a while!
#126 of 598 Old 06-02-2007, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

June 1.. $8.50 diaper
June 2.. $13.00 garage sale stuff

Frugal Progress:

1. Went garage saling and bought DD's birthday bike (new bike for $15) which was a big money saver...also bought her a winter coat for $2.

2. CD Eleanor and Family Cloth

3. We're eating leftovers for lunch and dinner

4. Carpooled with neighbor to garage sales, so we're letting our car rest today

5. Went to Music and Balloon festival with free tickets and left our wallets at home...so we couldn't slip up and buy any junky stuff.

Our neighbor gave us free tickets to the festival, so we are making a day of it there. We walked over in the morning and we'll walk back after nap. We'll be VERY tempted to spend money (I'm a sucker for carnival food) ...but we can't because I'm feeding the girls dinner before we go, then I'm leaving our wallets at home.

#127 of 598 Old 06-02-2007, 02:34 PM

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.
I am Marcee SAHM to 5 children ages 11,9,7,3, and nearly 2. We leave in South east Washington State. DH's job is about an hour away, so gas is killing us!

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of June.
GAS IS KILLING US!!!!!!!!!1.

3. Please tell us your game plan -- what are your goals and how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?
Stay at home more. No just going for a drive. Stay out of Wal mart. Shop only at Winco and Save-a-lot for food. No magazines or books. Stay out of good will and value village. And most importantly for me.... no buying anything for the yard... no flowers...no ornaments...nothing!

June 1: Fresh Mozzerella cheese 4.50 (not really needed)
June 2: I know that I will spend 10-12 on "stuff" at ds baseball game. But it is the last game of the season!
#128 of 598 Old 06-02-2007, 02:43 PM

I'm in! I spent $38.38 on groceries/feminine supplies yesterday. I just bought gas on Thursday, so I'm set for the next 6 days or so. Even though it's only 5 miles roundtrip, I'm holding off doing my laundry until late this afternoon, as it's on the way to church. I'm paying $3.63/regular here, and it's crazy.

I did spend $4 on McDonald's breakfast in the morning and $7 on a Jimmy John's sub for my work lunch, but I'm done doing that!

Tell me if this is bad to do this:

I have a graduation party (college, HS. 8th grade - three daughters in one family) to attend tomorrow. I've chosen books from my personal library to give as gifts - all very appropriate. I have blank cards to write in. I do NOT want to spend even $3 for some tissue paper to wrap them in. Think it would be bad to not wrap the books, but just give them "naked" with their cards? Frankly, this family is so frugal, I don't think they would mind!

I want to do this as I've got my sole remaining debt of $6200 on my car loan to pay off and I want to do it by the end of this year. Will feel great to be totally debt free. :-)

I will not buy any books (I've just decluttered a lot!) - use library. Am trying to do more emails than LD phone calls (even though I have a cheap LD calling card). Cut the food budget and not eat out so much!

I will have to buy a birthday gift for my goddaughter, but I'm waiting for her mom to tell me what she needs.

lady.gif
#129 of 598 Old 06-02-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
I'm in! I spent $38.38 on groceries/feminine supplies yesterday. I just bought gas on Thursday, so I'm set for the next 6 days or so. Even though it's only 5 miles roundtrip, I'm holding off doing my laundry until late this afternoon, as it's on the way to church. I'm paying $3.63/regular here, and it's crazy.

I have a graduation party (college, HS. 8th grade - three daughters in one family) to attend tomorrow. I've chosen books from my personal library to give as gifts - all very appropriate. I have blank cards to write in. I do NOT want to spend even $3 for some tissue paper to wrap them in. Think it would be bad to not wrap the books, but just give them "naked" with their cards? Frankly, this family is so frugal, I don't think they would mind!
Ideas -- Do you have any brown paper grocery bags you could use to wrap them? Or scrapbooking paper? This past Christmas, I gave my family gifts placed inside tins (like people usually give baked goods in) rather than wrapping paper. Do you have any small pieces of fabric? Or even just some ribbon that can be tied around the books. Next Christmas, I am giving all the women in my family knitted bags and I am using that as wrapping paper for other small gifts I will put in the bags. My grandfather wraps gifts in newspaper and tapes it with duct tape. The best thing is to use the funny pages. But if one of them likes to cook, you could use the Living section or whatever they call it where you live, that has recipes. Do you have any old calendars that you could use with the pretty pictures facing out?

That's all I can think of right now.
#130 of 598 Old 06-02-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Ideas -- Do you have any brown paper grocery bags you could use to wrap them? Or scrapbooking paper? This past Christmas, I gave my family gifts placed inside tins (like people usually give baked goods in) rather than wrapping paper. Do you have any small pieces of fabric? Or even just some ribbon that can be tied around the books. Next Christmas, I am giving all the women in my family knitted bags and I am using that as wrapping paper for other small gifts I will put in the bags. My grandfather wraps gifts in newspaper and tapes it with duct tape. The best thing is to use the funny pages. But if one of them likes to cook, you could use the Living section or whatever they call it where you live, that has recipes. Do you have any old calendars that you could use with the pretty pictures facing out?

That's all I can think of right now.
I don't have ANYTHING! No ribbon, don't get the newspaper, no scrapbooking paper, no scrap fabric - nada! My stuff is so pared down that I have none of this lying around!

lady.gif
#131 of 598 Old 06-02-2007, 02:59 PM

How about twine? You could tie the card on to the book and tie a bow on top. It would be rustic looking, which would be nice. And just having the bow makes it more festive.
#132 of 598 Old 06-02-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradd View Post

I did spend $4 on McDonald's breakfast in the morning and $7 on a Jimmy John's sub for my work lunch, but I'm done doing that!

I want to do this as I've got my sole remaining debt of $6200 on my car loan to pay off and I want to do it by the end of this year. Will feel great to be totally debt free. :-)

I will not buy any books (I've just decluttered a lot!) - use library. Am trying to do more emails than LD phone calls (even though I have a cheap LD calling card). Cut the food budget and not eat out so much!

I will have to buy a birthday gift for my goddaughter, but I'm waiting for her mom to tell me what she needs.
What about posting a "wanted" on Freecycle for any of those things? I bet you'd get a gift bag at least!

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#133 of 598 Old 06-02-2007, 03:26 PM

June 2nd. I'm not leaving the house, lol. I'm not spending money!
#134 of 598 Old 06-02-2007, 05:01 PM

Oh yeah... I'm leaving my check book and debit card at home. NOT in my purse!!
#135 of 598 Old 06-02-2007, 06:41 PM

June 2-

Stayed at home today. We slept in until about 8:30 and then watched the Braves game on TV. Took TarHeelSon outside to play and blow bubbles. It was a great, quiet day at home.
#136 of 598 Old 06-02-2007, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
June 1st-
June 2nd-

I took DD to my aunts house for pool party so had a free money day and got to eat lunch over there! Hey free foods always a plus!

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#137 of 598 Old 06-02-2007, 07:10 PM

June 1st
June 2nd

I sat down with the flyers this afternoon and made a list and a meal plan for next week. I have it all figured out and even alternatives if we feel like what's on the plan. The only things I'm buying are fruits, veggies, some bread and hot dogs. It should be less than $20 if I stick to my list.

Out of curiosity, I went over the list at Hillbilly Housewife to see how much her $45 meal plan would cost with our food prices. It would be over a hundred dollars and that's even with sales :. I think I'll stick with what I'm doing
#138 of 598 Old 06-02-2007, 09:18 PM

June 1
June 2 $25.81 in groceries

I have a tendancy to overspend on groceries, so I am going to put that spending on my list to help me be aware. We throw out way too much food. Plus, I really need to do the inventory and meal planning thing because I have a ton of stuff around here!
#139 of 598 Old 06-02-2007, 09:30 PM

June 1: $10 garage sale stuff
June 2:

We did get new tires (needed) put on our van today, but we have $$ set aside for car maintenance, so this isn't coming out of our regular budget. My dad found an amazing deal -- 4 tires for about $175! We thought it would cost about that for 2!

I was going to go to Home Depot and buy some paint for the trundle bed we had gotten for the kids, but I thought about it and I'm not sure it's worth it. If I paint over the hardware, we won't ever be able to take it apart and I'm not up to taking it apart now to paint it (39 weeks pg tomorrow). It didn't really need paint, the finish just doesn't 'go' with the other things in the room, but that really isn't a big deal for two toddlers!

Tomorrow is BIL's graduation party, so we will be giving him some $$, but that is budgeted for. The ice cream from the fabulous little ice cream shop near the ILs house, however, may call my name and I won't be able to resist. DH and I earned about $100 driving for my parents the past 2 days, so the $5 I spend on a quart of ice cream won't make me feel too bad. A woman this pg needs a little ice cream sometimes .

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#140 of 598 Old 06-02-2007, 10:01 PM

June 1
June 2

Poor DH was injured at work (nothing too serious. thankfully) so I've spent the day taking care of him.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#141 of 598 Old 06-02-2007, 10:04 PM

June 1 - Rent - 805.00, Internet/Cable 66.64, Groceries for week 23.45, Beer for military picnic (forgot about that) 20.28, 529 Plan 50.00 HOWEVER, refund check from Cingular 70.28 (should that be negative, since it's "found" money?). So, the only "unplanned" for was the beer, which is for the picnic, and I should have thought of that ahead of time. 965.37
June 2 - . Zip. Zilch. Go me.
#142 of 598 Old 06-02-2007, 10:07 PM

Not sure if I can do the smiley thing on this old Mac.

June 1:
June 2:

Today we had a swim meet and I brought our lunch and snacks, so there was no reason to go to the (junk-food packed) snack bar. In the old days, with our frig this bare, I would've been at the store spending $50 or more just to feel like we've got enough food in the house. But truthfully, there's no need. I'm starting to view grocery shopping as less of an outing than a hassle and an expense.

Reading old Tightwad Gazettes. Inspiring in some ways--a lot of the stuff I can't bring myself to do because it's so tedious, but it does get me thinking continuously about ways to NOT SPEND.
#143 of 598 Old 06-02-2007, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Think it would be bad to not wrap the books, but just give them "naked" with their cards?
Tradd -- I think this is fine. I'd do that, and I wouldn't mind receiving books like that either...so I think the grads won't mind. In Tightwad Gazette (love that book!) she uses Saran Wrap to make bows on presents

Scrap -- I hope your DH is okay.

#144 of 598 Old 06-02-2007, 10:32 PM

scrapadoozer... hope your dh is ok!

June 1st : $5 movie from blockbuster
June 2nd : $1.35+($2.00?) for an iced coffee and $10 dollar park admission
#145 of 598 Old 06-03-2007, 12:09 AM

Quote:
June 1
June 2 $25.81 in groceries

I have a tendancy to overspend on groceries, so I am going to put that spending on my list to help me be aware. We throw out way too much food. Plus, I really need to do the inventory and meal planning thing because I have a ton of stuff around here!
Well I wanted to post a list of the groceries I bought and what I did with them so I can keep myself accountable in that regard. We went to two stores, and this is what we bought:

$2.29 for 4 Hoagie Rolls
$0.99 for 1 pound store brand dried black beans
$0.69 for 1 pound store brand green split peas
$1.29 for 1 pound store brand dried chick peas
$0.79 for 1 pound store brand dried lentils
$0.99 for 1 pound store brand dried pinto beans
$6.07 for 6.19 pounds vidalia onions
$1.65 for 0.33 pounds garlic
$2.49 for 2 pounds organic carrots
$1.99 for 1 bunch of celery
$2.58 for 0.74 pounds of spicy italian sausage
$3.99 for asparagus tips

DH made himself sauteed sausage with onions and peppers. He ate it in one of the Hoagie rolls, and had enough of the sausage, onion & pepper combination for 3 more meals. He made about 1/2 the asparagus and he and I split it.

I made lentils and rice, which just finished cooking. I will probably have 6 servings or so of that, which I will put in meal size portions and freeze. I have split pea soup in the crock pot. The soup took 1/2 an onion (the other half is in the lentils), 2 cloves of garlic, 4 small carrots, and 2 ribs of celery. I have the chick peas and black beans in water to soak overnight so I can prepare them tomorrow. I'm going to curry the chick peas and do something with corn (since I have 12 already grilled ears in the frig) when I prepare the black beans. I might have to buy some ziploc containers in order to get it all into the freezer, but that will be a small cost compared to what I will save on eating out!
#146 of 598 Old 06-03-2007, 09:14 AM

June 1 - $30
June 2 -

We went grocery shopping yesterday, stayed within budget and bought only food! Today we are going to the zoo and are going to have a picnic in the park. If we can avoid the train ride we will be doing okay!
#147 of 598 Old 06-03-2007, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Today is grocery day for us too.

My goal is to just buy the foods (and batteries and such) that are on my list.

Other than that...stay home and work in the yard and save money day.

#148 of 598 Old 06-03-2007, 10:24 AM

June 1 - $8.31 lunch out
June 2 - $4 for Kiwi magazine (got sucked it bc it had articles about buying organic, etc), $22 for take out bc I just didn't feel like cooking!

I really have to try and do better

Maggie
#149 of 598 Old 06-03-2007, 10:50 AM

June 1
Wawa additions to dinner (and the requisite teeny weeny peppermint patties): $4; Food at show: $11 -- $15

June 2
$12 for Dunkin Donuts breakfast (a Saturday habit we are trying to break); $50 for grandmother's gift (planned for) -- $65

Hoping to spend nothing today, because we don't have anyplace to go!

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#150 of 598 Old 06-03-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Well I wanted to post a list of the groceries I bought and what I did with them so I can keep myself accountable in that regard. We went to two stores, and this is what we bought:

$2.29 for 4 Hoagie Rolls
$0.99 for 1 pound store brand dried black beans
$0.69 for 1 pound store brand green split peas
$1.29 for 1 pound store brand dried chick peas
$0.79 for 1 pound store brand dried lentils
$0.99 for 1 pound store brand dried pinto beans
$6.07 for 6.19 pounds vidalia onions
$1.65 for 0.33 pounds garlic
$2.49 for 2 pounds organic carrots
$1.99 for 1 bunch of celery
$2.58 for 0.74 pounds of spicy italian sausage
$3.99 for asparagus tips

DH made himself sauteed sausage with onions and peppers. He ate it in one of the Hoagie rolls, and had enough of the sausage, onion & pepper combination for 3 more meals. He made about 1/2 the asparagus and he and I split it.

I made lentils and rice, which just finished cooking. I will probably have 6 servings or so of that, which I will put in meal size portions and freeze. I have split pea soup in the crock pot. The soup took 1/2 an onion (the other half is in the lentils), 2 cloves of garlic, 4 small carrots, and 2 ribs of celery. I have the chick peas and black beans in water to soak overnight so I can prepare them tomorrow. I'm going to curry the chick peas and do something with corn (since I have 12 already grilled ears in the frig) when I prepare the black beans. I might have to buy some ziploc containers in order to get it all into the freezer, but that will be a small cost compared to what I will save on eating out!
Between the split pea soup and the lentils & rice, I got 14 individual meal sized containers. The black beans and chick peas are in the crockpots cooking. I will finish those dishes this evening.

Today is my father's birthday. We are going bird watching with him. I don't think I'm going to have to spend any money! My dad loves birdwatching, so we are going to a state park we have never been to before (my parents & I both have state park passes, so no entrance fee). For a present, he asked my husband to solve the problems they have been having with their computers. I'm also knitting him so slippers since he wants some new ones. I am using yarn from the stash, so don't have to buy anything for that!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page