2007 Frugal Holiday "Challenge" - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 328 Old 10-02-2007, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just about everyone this year is getting 2-3 homemade cloth grocery bags, homemade candles (I've been saving tons of scrap wax and scored a candle kit with a huge amount of wax and a new mold at a yard sale for $1!), homemade soap (also got lots of extra soap and new molds for $1 at the same yard sale), and a jar of either cocoa or a baking mix (jars are from pasta sauce and whatnot that I've cleaned out and collected the past few months).

My sister gave me a great idea to replace wrapping gifts. I really hate wrapping stuff because I feel like wrapping paper is so environmentally unfriendly, so she suggested that I put all the goodies inside one of the cloth bags, and use the other 1 or 2 bags to pad the stuff inside. Awesome! That also saves me from having to buy wrapping paper.

We have a 5 month old nephew, too, that I think I'm going to make a felt book for...I already have lots of felt and embroidery thread, so that will be no or very low cost.

Oh, and salt dough ornaments for the in-laws...I have a poem I found in this thread for last year, actually, that I'm going to use.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#302 of 328 Old 10-04-2007, 10:49 AM

Love this thread - we had a tight xmas a few years ago and everything was handmade. I dont have the time for an entirely homemade xmas this year, but I need to go cheap.

I have:
DH - most likely will not exchange gifts - maybe just arrange a babysitter so we can go to the movies one night.

DD (6) - she needs some new winter PJs, and I want to get her a toy and a magazine subscription.

DS (4) - he wants/needs nothing, so a small toy to keep him busy, some books to encourage reading and maybe a CD-ROM or DVD.

DS (1) - a toy and mostly clothes

Nephew (1) - he'll get a toy and some clothes - his bday falls 2 weeks after xmas too (turning 1) so I need bday too. I personalize and paint - so he'll get a piggy bank for the bday.

Parents - 2 sets of them - NO IDEAS. I think since it's a tight holiday they may just get photos of the kids and a personalized ornament.

New nephew/niece - due November - probablya piggy bank.

I am trying to talk my sister and BIL out of doing gifts for adults - now that there are too many kids!

Love reading all the ideas!
#303 of 328 Old 10-10-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMommyNiceNice View Post
The thread is getting huge! Do you think maybe we should start a new one with list updates? Let me know what you think...don't wanna step on toes.
I think this is a great idea
#304 of 328 Old 10-10-2007, 03:00 PM

Well, that's two votes. Anyone else think it's an okay idea? Then we could all go through and say what our list stands at now, and people could give suggestions on what we need to buy/make yet. There is already the s/o handmade holiday thread...so that takes care of that...

I joined the german toy co-op, so that takes care of ds, probably a little more than he needs, but I'd like to get replacing some of his chinese toys out of the way while we have the good discount.

I'm making little progress with my knitting. I'm about 5 rows into a poorly stitched potholder. well, it takes practice, I guess! I'm gonna try a whole scarf once I get the feel down.
#305 of 328 Old 10-10-2007, 03:36 PM

Where is the s/o handmade holiday thread? Is it in crafts?
#306 of 328 Old 10-10-2007, 05:27 PM

No, pretty sure it was in this one...let me see...

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ysprune=&f=312
Bumped it.
#307 of 328 Old 10-10-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMommyNiceNice View Post
No, pretty sure it was in this one...let me see...

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ysprune=&f=312
Bumped it.
Thanks for the link
#308 of 328 Old 10-17-2007, 02:42 PM

now where did this thread s/o too? the link above just takes me to f&f.
#309 of 328 Old 10-17-2007, 07:59 PM

Ok, I just read like 10 pages and forget who posted what .
That shirt dress is SO cute! I would love to try to make one.

Heather, all those recipies rock! I cannot wait to try some of them.

Someone mentioned making "gift bags". One year my mother and I bought a bunch of sale Christmas print fabric in February. We made a bunch of different sized drawstring bags like Amy D suggests in the Tightwad Gazette. They were a huge hit with my kids , but I can't speak for other people though, I think SIL more than likely threw hers away.

I tried my hand at making a felt cupcake for DD, and it looked so sad. : (see "me" blog for a good chuckle at my uglycake and link to directions) She loved it though, so I might try to make some nicer ones for her. I got some materials to make her little faries a la Magic Cabin, and need to get moving on them. All I need now is some silk flowers for the "skirts"... I need to put the word out that I need them!

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#310 of 328 Old 10-17-2007, 08:53 PM

I LOVE this thread and I don't have a lot to add to it, except... I just started making ginger "beer" (it's not alcoholic -- more like ginger ale) and I was thinking this might make a good holiday gift. Right now I'm just using old plastic soda bottles, but if I keep doing it I'm going to buy Grolsch-type bottles to re-use instead, since I'm not crazy about storing food in plastic. It's super easy and requires only water, grated ginger and sugar. I got the recipe from Sandor Katz's Wild Fermentation. And the ginger beer is really yummy! A bit perfumey and very fizzy.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#311 of 328 Old 10-18-2007, 10:12 AM

The latest Mother Earth News has directions for making hard cider out of regular cider. I think I will attempt this this year. Everyone likes booze, right?

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Whole...ard-Cider.aspx

I'll get some of those grolsch like bottles w/ the swing top corks. Should be a lovely addition to the year's festivities!

Knitting is not going so well. I'm going to stick to crocheting for now.

Also, : , please frugal ladies, don't ask to see my wood toy co-op bill! But, it's not only for christmas, but also birthday, and general replacement of crappy plastic toys. And imagine what it would have been if I was paying real costs!
#312 of 328 Old 10-18-2007, 11:38 AM

I saw an idea in the current magazine yesterday. They have a scrapbook for grandparents to keep their treasures (pics, etc.) from their grandkids in. That would be easy to make and could be a neat way for them to display and share their grandchildren's progress...
#313 of 328 Old 10-22-2007, 11:34 AM

Good ideas!

I'm making sock creatures for 6 people this year.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#314 of 328 Old 10-22-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat View Post
Good ideas!

I'm making sock creatures for 6 people this year.
Wanna share? Sound like fun!
#315 of 328 Old 10-28-2007, 03:00 PM

Bumping it up so I can find it again.

I'm just getting ready to begin my projects and wondered if anyone has some projects for teen boys?

I'm great at sewing and many crafts, but can't knit or crochet yet.
#316 of 328 Old 11-07-2007, 12:00 AM

Okay, I couldn't take it anymore, so I became motivated. Plus, dh is out of town, so I can computer all I want w/o him whining!

See this thread ladies! It's getting down to the wire!

And remember, if you can, Black Friday is really National Buy Nothing Day! So do what you can to stay out of the stores! This includes food, gas, and pizza delivered to your house!
#317 of 328 Old 11-11-2007, 06:44 PM

bump!
#318 of 328 Old 11-12-2007, 08:55 AM

I need to come back and read this....
#319 of 328 Old 11-13-2007, 08:36 PM

Ds and I moved into our new house this year and took a nice vacation....so now we're looking at a frugal holiday!

Here's what I'm going to do:
11 yo niece - recently discovered the joy of cooking. I'm giving her a cute apron someone gave me that I thought was too cute to use, some of my own baking pans, and cards with some of my tried and true recipes. Probably a little bunch of cooking utensils from the thrift store or Dollar Tree

8 yo niece - loves sculpting with playdoh and only gets to do it at my house (my sis abhors crafting). I'm making her different kinds of homemade playdough and making her a mix tape of Raffi and other singers she loves to listen to in my car only.

Bro and SIL - homemade cloth napkins and towels from scraps or various cloth I can find on sale.

Sis and BIL - probably a big popcorn bowl with treats and a movie rental certificate

Dad, DS, and friends' kiddos - heating pads with rice in them for dad's arthritic neck and kiddos to put in laps and pockets for winter car rides to school before the heater warms up

Various friends - My mom and I always make plates full of different cookies and goodies and candy and pass them around to neighbors and friends

I think I'll also find scrap wood and second hand tools for ds to build his carpentry skills.

Questions...
If I use Koolaid or food coloring in homemade playdough...will it stain clothes or table tops?

Can I stitch-witch instead of hem cloth napkins or will it come apart? My machine's shot.

Rebecca, single mama to intact Junebug 6/01, Daughter of the King!
#320 of 328 Old 11-14-2007, 12:16 AM

Wombatclay -
If you go to www.heartsong.com they have the sweetest little Mimi Horse Music Boxes for $7.98. You could combine this with a used or sale horse focused classic book or do an online search for personalized stationary with a horse theme...

(We have a horse girl in our lives )

HTH
#321 of 328 Old 11-14-2007, 12:46 AM

Where or what is everyone getting their tree? Are you doing a tree? How can you find frugal trees??

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#322 of 328 Old 11-14-2007, 10:50 AM

I don't scrimp on my tree! And don't think my husband's gonna talk me out of my 10 foot tree this year!

We buy from the food bank tree lot, so I know the profit is going to a good cause. If you want to save a lot of money, though, you can wait until Christmas eve to buy, put up and decorate!
#323 of 328 Old 11-15-2007, 01:29 PM

My 2 yo DD has just discovered making forts, and now that her little sister is almost mobile, is beginning to want her own little space to escape. I thought a bower would be PERFECT for her, but they're so expensive.

So I got looking online and found a taupe colored mosquito net for under $20, and some silk scarves from Thai Silks (under $2) that I'm going to use to make the top more pretty. I'm going to add some silk flowers and such that I had left over from my DIY wedding decorations and it'll be perfect for her!
#324 of 328 Old 11-25-2007, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

BUMPING

30 days til xmas!

Resistance is futile Matey
#325 of 328 Old 12-11-2007, 12:47 PM

How is everyone doing?

I ended up revamping my list because we are moving (this weekend!) and needed more time to pack/clean and sell our house than to make things. So not everything is homemade but about half is :

This week I am
-making homemade goodies (cookies, chocolate pretzels ect.) for my grandma and DHs grandpa with my MIL
-finish making our advent calendar with DD (a lot of hand sewing with felt and beads/sequins ect.)
-put together the journal in the jar for DD. I've got all the supplies. I just need to do it!

The fallowing weeks
-I need to make mixed CDs for friends and cover art (mixed media)
-DH's coupon book for his stocking. I have no idea what to do here. Any Help?
-DH's mixed tape with art work
-Name a star for DD, make a certificate at kinkos, get a star gazing map ect.

We will finally be putting our tree up next week. We are buying a potted tree this year and hopefully it'll be our tree for years to come. Found a cute little evergreen tree (forgot the name, haven't bought it yet) at Ikea for $19!
#326 of 328 Old 12-17-2007, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Resistance is futile Matey
#327 of 328 Old 12-17-2007, 10:56 AM

I posted a few months ago my frugal giving plan inspired by mdc moms. Here is what my official giving list is this year. Almost all homemade. I spent a total of $75 on 45 people!!!!

Both ds are getting a handcrafted barn (similar to a doll house) that I found in perfect condition at a thrift store for $22. I repainted it last night, and it is so perfect. We bought each boy their own set of farm animals. Older ds is getting a homemade sock monkey. Younger ds is getting silks and ribbons attached to small needlework hoops. Both ds are getting homemade beanbags.

DH is getting: homemade booboo bags (corn filled bags that are to be stored in the freezer for bumps and bruises...can also be put in the microwave. I also made fleece covers for them and stuffed them with dried mint from our CSA), and a collection of magnetic chalkboards (old metal tv trays painted with chalk paint) and magnets made by the kids to go with. (He wanted a message board for us to leave notes for each other). He is also getting a game for his DSlite.

FIL and SMIL are getting: a personalized painting (I bartered babysitting with an artist friend of mine). FIL booboo bags. MIL suduko puzzles and art supplies (to practice her doodling before her next visit with the kids) from dollar store.

Grandparents are getting: A leaf collection (collected leaves and dried them this fall and framed them in a dollar store frame with a photo of them with the boys in the leaves). Grandpa booboo bags. I found an antique miniature skate at a flea market for $3 for my grandmother (she collects mini shoes).

BIL1 and SIL1 are getting an apple collection set (see bottom of post), a giraffe photo collection we took at the zoo and a personal note from the zookeeper for his 12 yo daughter (she took care of these giraffes at zoo camp in CO, and they now live at our zoo in Wisconsin), and his 1 yo dd is getting a homemade sock monkey.

BIL2 and SIL2 are getting an apple collection and a subscription to Parents Magazine (12.99 for one year). They are expecting their first child.

SIL is getting an apple collection, her dh is getting booboo bags and her 4yo ds is getting bean bags.

My sister is getting a Smurfette glass (she always wanted to be smufette, and I found an old McDonalds glass at a thrift) and an apple collection set, her boyfriend booboo bags, her 7yo dd is getting a picture package (our old digital camera and supplies, a dollar store frame and scrapbook), her 13 yo ds is getting a gift certificate to a fishing supply company with an invitation for a guys weekend (he lost contact with his dad after a divorce and needs some guy time, so that is the real gift).

MIL and stepFIL are getting an apple collection set (see below).

My mom is getting personalized business cards, stationary, etc. for her quilting business that is taking off the ground (I have the graphic arts background and the paper already). A lavender set (bath salts and potpourri made from lavendar from our yard). A Grandmother’s sweater I found at a craft sale.

My dad and stepmom are getting an apple set.

Moms Group annual holiday party gift exchange is getting a collection of homemade canned goods from u-pick apple and strawberry field trips we took this year.

My best friend is getting a homemade scrapbook of her and our children. She adores them, and she is constantly asking for copies of the photos I have of her and them. Her dh is getting booboo bags.

My five closest friends are getting booboo bags. Their younger children are getting homemade holiday cloth diapers or a sock monkey while their older children are getting homemade bean bags.

Apple Pie Set:
I canned apple butter and apple pie filling from apples the boys picked. I found cute apple picking baskets at a garage sale. In the basket I will place the apple pie filling along with a bag of apple crisp topping (homemade) with baking instructions. I will put the apple butter with a bag of apple muffin mix (homemade) with baking instructions. Also included is a bag of my older son’s favorite homemade oatmeal mix and homemade granola sweetened with apple butter – both apple of course.

ETA: I forgot to add the cost of the DSlite game to the $75. So, it was more like $100, but that is still pretty darn good for that many people!

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
#328 of 328 Old 08-02-2008, 01:12 AM

B.
Mama to : July '06

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page