No Spending in July ~ Want to save money? We'll help you. Please join us at any time. - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 837 Old 07-06-2007, 12:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
July 1
July2
July3
July4Did Ok could have done better
July5: 2.40 on icecream at Mcdonalds I was on the way to return some b-day gifts and both kids fell asleep in the car so I hit the drive thru.

mamimapsterdo you know why if you leave stuff plugged in it still takes electricity. My dh has been begging for a detailed explanation after he pulgged his phone into an unplugged charger allnight.

Haveing a hard time resisting the nursing necklaces on the co op.
#302 of 837 Old 07-06-2007, 01:41 AM

I didn't join until last night, so July 1-4 wasn't tracked but here goes for today.

July 5 - $11 parking at work - I should have bussed it, but I overslept and driving is faster. : But on the other hand, my boss bought me coffee in the AM I resisted the afternoon coffee urge by raiding my office mate's chocolate stash instead.
Tomorrow will be harder - I am in a class and won't be able to bring my lunch, but I can take the bus so no paying for parking!
#303 of 837 Old 07-06-2007, 02:51 AM

July 1:
July 2:
July 3:
July 4:
July 5: $12.75

We just got back from vacation. The only thing I spent was 2.75 at Walmart to scan in dp's baby pics onto a cd and $10.00 in tolls. The $10 was unnecessary, could have been planned better, but oh well. I'm fine with the cd, as it was important to us.

Tomorrow we are going grocery shopping for the month. I have my list and my coupons, so hopefully we'll do well.
#304 of 837 Old 07-06-2007, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIBE View Post
SusanInItaly: We used to be stationed in HI too, do you live in Mauna Loa Terrace? We were right behind the NEX and I loved being able to walk to it to grocery shop. 3 yrs and I never did get the hang of the bus schedule there though

No, I'm down the road in another housing area, but we have a minimart in our housing complex. I still didn't make it to the commissary at PH! I MUST go tomorrow...I avoided last weekend (payday craziness) but I'm down to my last pantry goods at this point!

We LOVE Hawaii! : I wish I lived closer to PH, I'm down Kam Hwy (and all it's traffic!).:
#305 of 837 Old 07-06-2007, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Nadia -- Nursing necklace? Wait a minute...you had two children before your current baby. You nursed them without a nursing necklace. Our grandmothers nursed our mothers without nursing necklaces.

nursing necklace = unecessary
baby jogger so you can go for walks = necessary

Don't click on that co-op. Don't even go over to that part of the site!!!

BeachlivnMom -- that advice goes for you too. why don't you pack up (who made it without a nursing necklace) and take him down to the beach instead? No co-ops. don't go click over there. They only save you money if you are buying things you NEED.

Erin and other newly joining Moms -- Welcome!

Today -- my goal is to stay off of diaperswappers.

Yes, Valerie -- I have slipped back into buying a few diapers here and there (okay 13) but I counted them as necessary since they were size small (and some BG one-sizes) for the new baby...which is not even conceived yet...so I know this irrational and just an excuse for internet shopping. oh I know all about the lure of the co-ops

Today = no more. no more internet shopping. Done.

#306 of 837 Old 07-06-2007, 09:14 AM

$6.77 - bought the necessary waterproof liner for DS's bed. And even though I got $300 unexpectedly and a %20 off coupon I did NOT buy a breadmaker! I'm going to try the bread by hand. Didn't happen yesterday, but will do it today.

So far:
July 1
July 2
July 3
July 4
July 5

Today's goal:

We get paid so use our cash evenlope system.
CD Rachael
Line Dry
Cooking from scratch
DO NOT SPEND that $300!!!!

CrunchyVT: Oh I understand...I really do. It must be ok if it's for the new babe - who cares if he/she isn't here yet??
#307 of 837 Old 07-06-2007, 09:40 AM

July 1st
july 2nd
july 3rd : $4.25 on a coffee,bagel and criossant for the kids
July 4th
July 5th

Nadia & beachlivnmom.....No nursing necklace!!!I just stumbled on that thread....I want one too...If I can't have one,nor can you!!!

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#308 of 837 Old 07-06-2007, 09:42 AM

mom2joseph do you have agood easy bread recipe? I bought yeast yesterday to make bread by hand but I need something easy
bead is SO expensive

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#309 of 837 Old 07-06-2007, 10:27 AM

WTG mamas that are spending less!!

I totally hear you about the nursing necklaces, I pined for one when I was pg for my youngest even though I nursed 3 other babes without one, lol. I did get one but it was a gift...and let me tell you, I love it. I'm actually able to nurse DS (9 mos old, loves to pinch and scratch mama!) without pain every once in a while!! Sorry...I know that doesn't help you all!

So anyway...yesterday I took the kids to the library (free, of course) and then to WM bc my older DS had bday money that he wanted to spend. My girls both had a bad case of the wants and I was able to successfully divert their attention 99% of the time. My older DD had some $ in her pocketbook and wanted to buy some gum so I let her and DS1 lent DD2 some change so she could buy a treat too. The only thing I bought was a bottle of water (35 cents) that we all shared. I'm pretty proud of myself!

Oh and I deposited $150 in the bank (I got paid!) and resisted the urge to take out a couple dollars for myself like I usually do. I don't need it!!

I do need to go to the dollar store today to get some window cleaner. We've got an Open House this weekend and I need to wash windows and mirrors and stuff. So I will spend some $ today but it won't be much, less than $5 and it's necessary! I'll be putting gas in the van today but I'm using the money that I made from a garage sale last weekend.

July 1: $0
July 2: $0
July 3: $85 at Lowe's for lumber to fix our deck and a new toilet seat. Totally necessary but not budgeted. Had to use the cc.
July 4: $0
July 5: $0.35, bottle of water
#310 of 837 Old 07-06-2007, 10:48 AM

July 5th- $6 for lunch becuae I left mine at home in the fridge. Necessary? Maybe, except for the coke which I could Have done without.

I have to buy some essentil oils to day to make dh's b-day present. I am going to make him some aftershave. I think this will be a good deal because then I am going to make my dad some for his b-day too!

Maggie, wife and mom to three
#311 of 837 Old 07-06-2007, 11:03 AM

Still stuggling here with the eating thing. I am just so sick it is hard to make food for the kids let alone for myself. Maybe I am just going to accept the fact that until this all day sickness passes I am going to have to cut myself some slack. It passed around 16 weeks or so with both girls so by August I should be able to really cut down on the food buying:
#312 of 837 Old 07-06-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollysMom View Post
Still stuggling here with the eating thing. I am just so sick it is hard to make food for the kids let alone for myself. Maybe I am just going to accept the fact that until this all day sickness passes I am going to have to cut myself some slack. It passed around 16 weeks or so with both girls so by August I should be able to really cut down on the food buying:
Be kind to yourself, mama. Morning sickness is tough to get through.
#313 of 837 Old 07-06-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junonia View Post
Be kind to yourself, mama. Morning sickness is tough to get through.
Thanks
#314 of 837 Old 07-06-2007, 11:45 AM

Back (I've been sick) and playing catch-up:

July 1:
July 2: I had some spending, but I don't remember how much...$5ish? It was just lunch
July 3:
July 4:
July 5:

I'll be going out to lunch today, so there is some spending there. But good for me, so far!
#315 of 837 Old 07-06-2007, 11:50 AM

Joining late but better late than never!

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

I'm Jenny, SAH to 5 month old Nicolas and live with my boyfriend (Nic's dad) who goes to school full time and works full time. I'll be going back to work in about 2-3 months to bring in more $$ so that my DP can focus more on school. He's got 3 semesters left before he graduates.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of July.

We just bought a new car, a Honda Pilot, which although it's very nice and spacious is also very $$$. The car buying experience also opened our eyes to our credit and debt issues and we're resolved to fix our credit, pay our debt, and start saving for a home and to start a savings account for Nic. We also need to start an EF. Right now we don't have one.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?

- Cut back on eating out, per Quicken it was almost 10% of our budget for the past 3 months!!!! We've instituted a tight rule that we can only eat out once a week and it must be under $40 with tip/tax for the 2 of us. However the less $$$ the better and on our first try we only spent $13.74 for a lunch at Don Pablos.

- Cut back on unnecessary spending, also not using our credit cards. Either we have the cash to pay for what we need or we don't. End of story.

- Using freecycle and friends for baby items. It's been great and my friends and I have been sharing and passing on baby gear we don't need. I do want to buy a hotsling however now that Nic doesn't like the UBW very much.

- We cut out cable, we sold a few household things we never used (computer desk, etc)

- Buy in bulk and cook/freeze/meal plan in advance. We've been doing well and I only need to make quick trips to the grocery store for perishables and produce.

- Return libary items on time, stop giving away $ on late fees.

We're really trying and we're using some online resources and Quicken to really examine our finances and start moving forward.

Good luck everyone
#316 of 837 Old 07-06-2007, 12:03 PM

Minimunke: Like most things domestic, if my Mom doesn't know it then I turn to Hillbilly Housewife. She has a beginners bread recipe that I'm going to try. She has a very simple way of giving directions so I love almost all of her recipes. I'll let you know how it turns out.

HollysMom: Honey, is there anyway you can throw a few things into the crock pot? Or, if you get to feeling ok for a few mintues make some easy things to just keep in the fridge? I make a banana cake that is so yummy we eat it for breakfast. A 9 X 13 pan lasts us a week! I really hope you feel better soon!!! If nothing else, adjust your grocery budget to allow for premade, HEALTHY food - your baby needs it! It is a neccesity!!!

Crunchy
....STEP AWAY FROM DIAPERSWAPPERS! Oh I do understand the addiction. Stay strong!
#317 of 837 Old 07-06-2007, 12:48 PM

July 1:
July 2:
July 3:
July 4: ~40 in groceries
July 5: ~70 for car registration, pretty essential!
July 6: since we have an extra $40 from our weekly $140 budget (for food, toiletries, gas, etc, etc, etc) I went to Whole Foods to get stuff that is "on the list" but ya know....not essential, since Whole Foods is darned expensive. I did get 2 non-needs: a .60 can of soda and a $2.50 bar of amazingly good dark chocolate that has a LOVE LETTER on the inside of the wrapper (this is hidden and enjoyed slowly by me over a period of time! ) $3.10 of non-needs. Not too shabby!

The extra money I have from this week (our money week starts on Sat, since dh is paid on Fri and we have to pick up co-op groceries on Sat) I will be putting aside for Christmas!
#318 of 837 Old 07-06-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Joseph View Post

HollysMom: Honey, is there anyway you can throw a few things into the crock pot? Or, if you get to feeling ok for a few mintues make some easy things to just keep in the fridge? I make a banana cake that is so yummy we eat it for breakfast. A 9 X 13 pan lasts us a week! I really hope you feel better soon!!! If nothing else, adjust your grocery budget to allow for premade, HEALTHY food - your baby needs it! It is a neccesity!!!
Banana cake??

Recipe? Please?
#319 of 837 Old 07-06-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublesnap View Post
We just bought a new car, a Honda Pilot, which although it's very nice and spacious is also very $$$. The car buying experience also opened our eyes to our credit and debt issues and we're resolved to fix our credit, pay our debt, and start saving for a home and to start a savings account for Nic. We also need to start an EF. Right now we don't have one.
We saved up $1000 (and I know there are LOTS of MDC mamas who will tell you to do this, as they told me and I dug my heels in at first) for our baby EF, and it has been a life-saver. We haven't used any cc's since at least Feb (when we started our debt-payment plan...I actually think it has been longer, but can't be sure). Our a/c started acting up, and though we weren't happy, we knew we could pay for the repair (it ended up being a minor thing). We recently paid 6 mo. on our car ins. instead of monthly, which will save us over $400 a year, and we could never have done that without the EF (I know, technically not an emergency, but it only dropped the EF slightly below 1k and it has been built back up). Do whatever you can to get that 1k, and girl, you will feel SO MUCH MORE SECURE.
#320 of 837 Old 07-06-2007, 01:00 PM

Oh. Oops.

I forgot that yesterday I purchased a CD off iTunes. I'm even going to promote it here because I adore her so much.

Sara Bareilles Little Voice :

Her voice is scrumptuous, her lyrics are amazingly amazing , and I would have paid $9.99 for the album but it's on sale for $6.99

I never, ever purchase music, just get the free download of the week (I have an amazing playlist of songs because of that feature!) but I heard "Love Song" and haven't been able to bring myself to play anything else on my iPod since. :

I know, I know!! It was NOT a necessary purchase. But I do so love to support good artists, and as I have gotten older, I find fewer and fewer that I think are worthy of my money.
#321 of 837 Old 07-06-2007, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

July 1..
July 2..
July 3..
July 4..
July 5..
July 6.. $1.30 Little Debbie Snack Cakes

Frugal Progress:

1. Have not clicked on diaperswappers yet today and after I post here I am TURNING OFF THE COMPUTER. This is actually a huge step for me.

2. CD Eleanor and line-dried the laundry

3. Friend was going to McDonald's after swimming lessons today and instead of joining her, we went home.

4. Made Mushroom Mousaka for dinner (new recipe, never made before) early in the morning because lately in the evening I have been too tired to cook and have felt "order pizza" cravings. I'm trying to thwart those cravings before they start.

Okay...I'm turning off my computer even though both my children are napping.

Instead of wandering around the internet, finding things that need me to buy them, I'm going to do some things around my house.

Wow. I hope this works.

#322 of 837 Old 07-06-2007, 01:54 PM

July 1:
July 2:
July 3:
July 4: : $32 unplanned grocery trip (for a BBQ) and some food out
July 5:

I posted yesterday that I was not going to buy a drying rack and mentioned something about it to my MIL. She told me that she had a nice one that she bought at Ace Hardware that I could have for free! It is EXACTLY what I was looking for and I've already got my laundry all done on it since it was so warm out yesterday. Its big enough I may even be able to hang our sheets on it today : With our cable turned off the TV has only been on once to watch a movie this week. I'm limiting my computer time too. Think of all the $ I'm going to spend on our electric bill!

MIL also gave me 2 popsicle trays also, so we made some with leftover green smoothie yesterday afternoon. Very nice when its hot out! Feels like a treat, but its healthy and possibly would have gotten wasted. So its pretty much free

Grocery budget ($100/week): over by $32
:
Household budget ($100/month): $30 left, budgeted for cat food
Misc spending: $0 !!!

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#323 of 837 Old 07-06-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
I posted yesterday that I was not going to buy a drying rack and mentioned something about it to my MIL. She told me that she had a nice one that she bought at Ace Hardware that I could have for free! It is EXACTLY what I was looking for and I've already got my laundry all done on it since it was so warm out yesterday. Its big enough I may even be able to hang our sheets on it today :
That is amazing! I am so happy for you. The universe provides.
#324 of 837 Old 07-06-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanInItaly View Post
No, I'm down the road in another housing area, but we have a minimart in our housing complex. I still didn't make it to the commissary at PH! I MUST go tomorrow...I avoided last weekend (payday craziness) but I'm down to my last pantry goods at this point!

We LOVE Hawaii! : I wish I lived closer to PH, I'm down Kam Hwy (and all it's traffic!).:
I miss Hawaii, a LOT but WA is almost as good (I may change my mind during the winter though )

I however do not miss Kam's traffic
#325 of 837 Old 07-06-2007, 02:31 PM

It's late in the month but I'm in. A couple months ago I was getting frugal with a vengance. In the beginning of June my mom, whom I'm very close to, was diagnosed with metastatic bone cancer. I'm spending much of my time cooking, cleaning, running earrands, and caring for my parents. This threw my budget totally out the window. While I don't think I can be quite as rigid with this as I'd like given the circumstances, I still want to try. So...here it goes.

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.
Hi, I'm Andrea. I work as nurse and am the mama to my beautiful 16 month old DD, Stella. DH is a Volvo mechanic. We live south of Seattle, WA.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of July. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.
- I'm trying to snowball my debt. The goal is to have my student loan paid off by the end of this year and my car loan paid off by next fall. Then we'll be debt free minus the mortgage.
- We're toying with the idea of DH becoming a SAHD. It makes more sense for him since he's miserable at work, his salary is quite variable, my income is fixed and reasonable, and I get free health benefits for the entire family through my job.
- We'd like to try to have another baby soon
- I want to be less consumeristic and live a simpler life

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?
- No online shopping. I've been rather active with co-ops lately. While the things I've gotten haven't been frivolous, they aren't necessary for our survival.
-More cooking from scratch
-Institute a 24 hour waiting period before making any unplanned purchases. I'm such a sucker for bargains.
#326 of 837 Old 07-06-2007, 04:30 PM

CrunchyVT - you go girl!

Petersmama - A la HBHW - here you go! I love to add raisins and nuts too...considering the sugar for an entire 9 x 13 pan, it is way more healthy than prepackaged cereals, cereal bars and the like. DS loves that he gets to "eat special banana cake" for breakfast!

Banana Cake - hillbilly housewife

1 cup mashed bananas (2 or 3, very ripe)

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk or yogurt (powdered buttermilk is fine)

1/2 cup melted margarine

2 medium eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon baking powder

2 cups flour

Get out your favorite big bowl. Peel the bananas and mash them with a whisk until they are quite mushy almost liquid. Cream in the sugar. Add the buttermilk, melted margarine, eggs and vanilla. Beat until it is smooth and satiny. You may use electric beaters if you prefer, but a whisk works really well. Add the salt, baking powder and flour. Mix again until all is lump free and sort of fluffy. Turn the mixture into a well oiled 9 by 13-inch rectangular pan. Bake at 350° for about 40 minutes. The cake is done when it is golden brown, the edges have pulled away from the sides of the pan, and the top springs back when pressed lightly in the center. Cool thoroughly and frost with chocolate or vanilla frosting. This is a favorite for the lunch box crowd.
#327 of 837 Old 07-06-2007, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I MUST join you ladies here, I will come fill in my post later.

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
#328 of 837 Old 07-06-2007, 05:52 PM
cjr

I'm Cindy and I really like to spend money. I don't know why but something always comes up that I need. I work with a basic budget but in the end we always live paycheck to paycheck, and we bring in excellent money with very little debt. So, we should have money in the bank for fun stuff...but never do.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of July. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.

-We have made the decision to renovate our 1250sqft home, live in a smaller space, accept what we can afford so we can do some fun stuff we have never had the opportunity to do.
-Dh wants to buy his dad lease back in November. I know we can, I just have to make it happen. To us this is reasonable. He drives my mom's hand me down Topaz that is litterally falling apart. He has always wanted a truck. It's 3 years old but by buying out his dad's lease it's costing us half of what a new truck would.
-I want to stop living paycheck to paycheck.

-I am going to do the jar budget. I can't start until July 15th because that's when most of income comes in. Right now we have $.27 in the bank when everything comes out. We should have more but it's so easy to loose track with debit and check m/c. So no debit and no check m/c use. Only cash.
-budget for everything, put it in the jars and work with what's available. No double dipping from other jars. LOL Carry any extra cash over to cover those larger costs that come up.
-use the passes we have to keep us busy. We have family passes to the zoo, science center, sports center and library cards. We are going to use these passes to keep us entertained.
-cook within my pantry. I help organize a food coop so I have a well stocked pantry, but I always find something new I want to try and spend more money when I don't have to. I'm also going to make everything from scratch. No take out (we don't do much take out but even two pizza's a month is $50).
-no impulse buying. I will think about it for 2 days before I buy it.

My grandfather gave me $6000 as part of his living will. It's almost gone. But in my defense it went for good not evil. I bought a well deserved new kitchen table and stools for the counter bar. Every member of the family was allowed to purchase anything they wanted, just because. It was fun and I would do it again, but with a family of 5 it's an expensive proposition. I bought a year family pass to the sports center which has been used everyday this week for swimming. We have been buying some renovation materials so we can keep working on the house. The rest is being saved for the new loveseat and chair that needs to go in the livingroom when the basement is finished. So, no more spending.
#329 of 837 Old 07-06-2007, 07:00 PM

Wow this thread is hopping!

Well, I had posted yesterday about the last minute invite to our friends' place, and it worked out all right; not great, but all right! Ds said he was hungry right before leaving (after eating already, I guess just not enough), so I grabbed him a veggie dog to munch on the way. We were pulling away when he asked, "Mom is this mold?" : I guess we won't buy the family pack next time! So I took him through the Starbucks Drive-thru and got him a fruit bar (whole apples and whole grain; yes I am trying to justify it!) It was then that I remembered my friend doesn't drink coffee, nor keep it in the house, so if I was to get my afternoon fix I clearly had only one solution . . . sooooooo, ya I did it, I got me a nice ol' cup of coffee! In my defence, it was just a tall regular coffee, and the total purchase with ds' bar was $3.71 which I took out of grocery money . It was gooooood coffee! To increase my value, I got a venti ice water (free!)

Okay, now the troubling part. She invited us for dinner, and for my dh to join us after work. Loooooong story short, somehow we ended up paying for most of it . Now please don't misunderstand me. I'm all about pooling resources and sharing food, etc. It's just that had I known when she asked I would have declined. Also my friend is all about control, and there is a big history there. Anyway, my dh ended up meeting her dh at the grocery store after work, and found himself in a very confusing situation. I know this probably isn't as clear as I would like it to be, but suffice it to say we ended up out $15 we hadn't budgeted for. Not a lot, and really not the part that's bugging me, I guess. It's the manipulation (in a long line of her manipulations that I thought I had finally gotten disengaged from). Anyway, that's a whole 'nother thread, yes?

So now I'm off to find an emoticon that best represents yesterday!
#330 of 837 Old 07-06-2007, 07:06 PM

Here's my funny frugal moment of the day:

I've been doing GREAT today finally, spending $0 and feeding the kids out of the pantry (which is pretty depleted at this point).

DH emails me from work (he's on a ship). Guess what he had for lunch? CRAB CAKES AND STEAK! OMG, my stomach is growling now!! I'm about to go make spaghetti, again, for lunch!! LOL...he's killing me, I asked if he could sneak some home for me!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page