No Spending in July ~ Want to save money? We'll help you. Please join us at any time. - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 837 Old 07-07-2007, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
July 6th. I spent 118.35 at Whole Foods. No really egregious items, but I know that place is the suck of all money and I should just stay away.

Today is my nephews birthday and I am going to buy him a gift.
#362 of 837 Old 07-07-2007, 11:21 AM

Can I join? :

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.
I'm Nicole, I live in MN with my dh and my 3 kids!

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of July. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.
Because we don't have the money to spend! And because we need to save and get out of debt.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?
Well, dh and I have already committed to not eating out for the entire month of July. Eating out is a huge part of where our money goes and I think we'll notice a change right there! I plan on not running to town unless I truly need something because I always end up spending money on something I don't need. I'll also make sure we don't go to town hungry b/c it's easier to spend money that way!

I'll start with what I spent yesterday and then come back each day and record my spending(or hopefully lack thereof! )

July 6th: $1.91 box of crackers, $3.26 soda and donut :

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
#363 of 837 Old 07-07-2007, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr View Post
If you like Starbucks being a secret shopper will kick that habbit, or just make it more affordable. I was a secret shopper. It was a pretty sweet little side thing actually.
'Secret' as in: If my dh doesn't know about it then it doesn't count?

Do tell how you got that gig!

Valerie: Congrats on the bread! The good thing about making yummy bread is that you eat it so fast you get lots of practise making it! For a yummy treat, knead some dried cranberries and chocolate chips in there, or green olives and grated cheese (if you eat it).
#364 of 837 Old 07-07-2007, 12:55 PM

I am taking the kids to a free woodworking workshop at home depot this morning. We should be leaving now but I had to check my email and now I really need to post here.

I want to make a purchase. I'm an avid knitter and have been wanting 2 books for some time, especially Charmed Knits which is all Harry Potter inspired knits. My fav online shop which already has the lowest prices has all their books on sale 40% off making both books $8.97 each down from $15. I can get both for almost what just one would cost. I know these books would get used, but the question begs do I snatch them up now while they are instock and on sale or wait (the sale is on until Aug 17) and hope they are still instock next month when I can put them in the budget plan?

We are leaving so the temptation will be at least out of mind for a little while.
#365 of 837 Old 07-07-2007, 12:59 PM

July 6:
$35 at the local mexican restaurant. I have justified this a little. My MIL took our youngest to spend the weekend and that left us with the older boys. It was nice to eat without a toddler!! We never, ever go out to eat. My boys had such a good time (I think they were in shock) and ate all their meals!

Maggie, wife and mom to three
#366 of 837 Old 07-07-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIBE View Post
I want to make a purchase. I'm an avid knitter and have been wanting 2 books for some time, especially Charmed Knits which is all Harry Potter inspired knits. My fav online shop which already has the lowest prices has all their books on sale 40% off making both books $8.97 each down from $15. I can get both for almost what just one would cost. I know these books would get used, but the question begs do I snatch them up now while they are instock and on sale or wait (the sale is on until Aug 17) and hope they are still instock next month when I can put them in the budget plan?

We are leaving so the temptation will be at least out of mind for a little while.
Honestly, to me, it seems like a very valid, well-thought, usable purchase. I say go for it! :
#367 of 837 Old 07-07-2007, 01:52 PM

TRIBE, thanks for those coupon links! I would probably go ahead and get the books, that's a small expense and it would stink to wait and find out they are out of stock.

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#368 of 837 Old 07-07-2007, 03:02 PM

Ok. Here's my tally for today.
$27.75 for gas
$12 for drinks and ice for the cooler
$4 for coffee and more ice for the cooler
$9 for 2 day parking pass
$3.50 for corn dog that DH and I split
$3 for ice cream that DH and I split
$39 for grooming products for the dog(needed to restock)

Hopefully tomorrow will be better! Same show though.

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#369 of 837 Old 07-07-2007, 03:07 PM

how do you get those seret shopper jobs and the surveys?
There are a bunch of online sites but I can't tell which are real and which ones will just take your money. Are you supposed to pay to join them?
#370 of 837 Old 07-07-2007, 03:48 PM

ugh so our free trip to Home Depot cost me $9.50 for 2 little cans of paint and 2 sponges so the kids could paint the memory boxes they made. Then I had to go to the Dollar store to get a dust pan and cheese grater, b/c for some reason my friend has neither and i cannot understand NOT having those 2 things. Which of course lead me to let the kids get a toy each and a thing of bubbles so total was $6.50. And then I had to go to the PO to ship a box $5.70-budgeted.
#371 of 837 Old 07-07-2007, 03:52 PM

Ok i am going to buy the books *sigh* I feel guilty but I know I will probaly knit everything in them and man it's such a good price!

Brooktosea you shouldn't have to pay to join anything, if they ask for money they are not legit. I do survey and freebie get paid to sites but of course I can't access my accts right now since I am not on my computer or I would give my referel numbers. If you go to wahmwell tho there are peeps in there that can help you with that.

Maggie-I think that was a GOOD thing! Getting to take older kids out without the joyous hassle of a toddler is a special thing. I know my kids and I have enjoyed eating out like that so much better when the toddler isn't with us, she makes the experience not so nice. Hopefully someday she will grow out of this stage (that she has been in since she was 6 mths old and is now 28 mths )
#372 of 837 Old 07-07-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooktosea View Post
how do you get those seret shopper jobs and the surveys?
There are a bunch of online sites but I can't tell which are real and which ones will just take your money. Are you supposed to pay to join them?
Isn't there a Get Paid To (GPT) area at the WAHM Well forum? I'm not sure, because I've never done it, but I seem to recall others talking about it. Maybe you could check there?

ETA--Ah, I see TRIBE addressed this already.
#373 of 837 Old 07-07-2007, 04:35 PM

July 1-
July 2-
July 3-
July 4- $8.92
July 5-
July 6- $21.98
July 7-

Staying at home today and fixing to watch a baseball game (Go Braves!). I've got dinner in the crockpot right now.
#374 of 837 Old 07-07-2007, 04:36 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#375 of 837 Old 07-07-2007, 04:45 PM

Oh, yeah. I forgot.

Way to go Valerie on the bread baking!

I love the way the house smells when homemade bread is in the oven.
#376 of 837 Old 07-07-2007, 05:22 PM

I think I might bake zucchini bread today, I know this monster of a zuch I have is going to be too much for the casserole I have planned so I might as well put it to good/yummy use!

My goal for July/August is to be able to save enough $$ to buy paint for the downstairs AND a kitchenaid mixer to help with my bread baking that I love to do.
#377 of 837 Old 07-07-2007, 06:08 PM

Maggie-I think that was a GOOD thing! Getting to take older kids out without the joyous hassle of a toddler is a special thing. I know my kids and I have enjoyed eating out like that so much better when the toddler isn't with us, she makes the experience not so nice. Hopefully someday she will grow out of this stage (that she has been in since she was 6 mths old and is now 28 mths )[/QUOTE]

Thanks! And I think you shoudl buy the book- knitting is useful and practical!
In another note, I am going to a pool party tonight. I have to bring snacks for my family. I am going to raid the fridge first and then go to the market to buy the rest.

Maggie, wife and mom to three
#378 of 837 Old 07-07-2007, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

July 1..
July 2..
July 3..
July 4..
July 5..
July 6.. $1.30 Little Debbie Snack Cakes
July 7.. $8.07 Coffee at B&N and black dress

Tally of evil = $9.37

Frugal Progress:

1. Stayed home most of day and worked in the yard

2. Went into "Once Upon a Child" and bought nothing

But I shouldn't have gone window shopping at all...I haven't done that in months! I'm not sure what made me go shopping today.

Shopping for recreation is one of my biggest weaknesses (McDonald's and diaperswappers being the other two) and I thought I had that licked. Okay...back on the wagon.

Maybe it is because I'm taking a pregnancy test in three days and my mind is all in a tizzy about that (please,please,please,please). I need to get my focus back.

Way to go, no-spending Mamas! You are doing great!!!!!

#379 of 837 Old 07-07-2007, 09:49 PM

July 1: $20 b-day gift, $35.76 gas
July 2:
July 3: $246.72 groceries (hopefully we can just pick-up produce/dairy for the rest of July), $29.99 new cell for DH, $4.60 postage, <$20.00> returned clothing
July 4:
July 5:
July 6: $21.90 groceries at Co-op
July 7:

Should have paid a small library fine for a Business Week I discovered in the magazine basket, but had to use the outside drop box as one kiddo was sleeping; will record that fine when it is actually paid. On a positive note, went to the bank this AM to request reversal of some fees (forgot to make a transfer); the fees were my fault, but I am a good customer, and they waived all $85. Also, yesterday requested refund for out-of-town library card (we just moved to the town where we have that card); the city is processing the refund so that should be about another $50 in "found" money.

JULY TOTALS TO DATE:
"Good" (i.e. within budget + anticipated): Not tracking here (tracked in M/S Money); it's all good!
"Okay" (not in budget, but pretty necessary): $34.59
"Bad" (not in budget, not necessary): $0
"Fantastic" (items returned/sold): <$20.00>

Kim
#380 of 837 Old 07-07-2007, 10:03 PM

July 1-$31 (mexican rest, ice creams)
July 2-$40 ($12 lunch, the rest on new flip flops for DD, gift for BF, gift for toy closet)
July 3-$7 at Wendy's.
July 4-$20 all day at the base, lunch, dinner and snacks. SHOULD have packed it all but I still haven't hit the grocery store so we don't have any food!
July 5-$3 The kids and I walked to the minimart and got icees and a piece of chocolate
July 6- My first!!!
I did spend $150 on groceries, I stayed right on budget!! My only breaker was a $1 Coke, but I "earned it", lol, because I had over $24 in coupons!! (I budgeted $300 for groceries for the month, so that leaves me the other half for later in the month.)
July 7-$4 for 2 Cokes and 2 small fries at McD's on the way home from the beach.

I'm getting more focused, and DH is on board too!
#381 of 837 Old 07-07-2007, 10:27 PM

July 1
July 2
July 3 $20
July 4
July 5
July 6
Julty 7 $34 on Chinese food, $5 on decorations for the house.

Total: $59 :

The food couldn't really be avoided. We wanted to take MIL & SIL out for a meal and feeding 5 for $34 is pretty good! I am not having a very good start to the month and am certainly hoping next week will be better!

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#382 of 837 Old 07-07-2007, 10:34 PM

So went to the farmer's market today with DS. I love it! Spent all 50 of my alloted $50. No guilt involved. Used part of the $ to buy my friend some beautiful flowers for her birthday today and used a card from my stationary to accompany them. So, essentially spent $0 on the birthday party! That felt good.
So, July7:

Bilingual mama to DS J 6/4/06 and new DS C 9/27/10  homebirth.jpg
#383 of 837 Old 07-07-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapadoozer View Post
I am not having a very good start to the month and am certainly hoping next week will be better!
You're doing alot better than some of us! Don't get down on yourself. You're doing great!!

Bilingual mama to DS J 6/4/06 and new DS C 9/27/10  homebirth.jpg
#384 of 837 Old 07-07-2007, 10:37 PM

july 1st
july 2nd
july 3rd :
july 4th
july 5th
july 6th
july 7th
: fell off the wagon with a loud THUMP. $5 lottery tickets,$5 yard sale finds,in my defense they are all for ebay so i will get the money back and more, $26 old navy.tees for DS1 for next year,i always shop a year ahead and the had a deal of $3.50 each,my mum just bought him some boden shorts so his summer 2008 stash is halfway there :

I did make my own pesto today though and it was yummy I made enough for four servings so that saves me buying it for the next four weeks,we eat it every week so that's good.

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#385 of 837 Old 07-07-2007, 11:13 PM

Wow, I think everyone is doing really well so far! I seem to do good news/bad news every day I go out. The good news today is that I stayed within my really tight grocery budget and planned our meals for the week! Also, my sunglasses broke, but I had a $4 off general merchandise (ie, not groceries) coupon for Meijer, and they had sunglasses for $3.60! I got those and a $.30 protractor for DD for school this year for free, and I'm relieved...it's hard for me to drive without sunglasses, so I was going to have to get some. I also made myself an iced tea in a thermal cup and took it with me for the day, so I didn't have to buy a drink while out. I refilled it with ice water later and didn't feel deprived since I had already had a "good" drink.

The bad is that I stopped and got fast food for lunch, again. I'm not sure what to do on Saturdays...we are out all day long running errands. My mom and I meet for breakfast (budgeted--she pays and I pay for her cell phone which is on our family plan) and then we go to the grocery and run errands and often stop by my Grandpa's to do stuff for him. We are almost always out all day, so we end up running through a drive through for a late lunch. We really don't have time to go back home, we are eating on the go so I don't want to pack anything, and I need more than just snacks! At the same time, I don't want to continue paying for two meals out every Saturday! It was only $2, but it was also total junk, not a good meal.

Sigh. Total today: $25 groceries, $14 dog food, both budgeted. $3 T shirt for DD to dye at day camp this week, not budgeted but necessary. $2 hamburger and fries, not budgeted.

Tomorrow I'm not leaving the house except to go to my mom's so DD can swim. For free, since there is nothing to purchase at Mom's! I'm also going to cook. Since my grocery budget is so low, I need to make bread and snacks for us for this week. I'm going to use up some raspberry jelly by making jam thumb print cookies. Yum! Any ideas for salty snacks using fairly common ingredients? I have pretty much every baking staple out there, some nuts, and no cheese.

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#386 of 837 Old 07-07-2007, 11:21 PM

No spending today, and there won't be any tomorrow either. We're going to a friends for spaghetti (no cooking either, COOL!) and not taking any money/cards. And DH is going to MIL's next weekend, which helps. I mean, he wanted to see the new Harry Potter movie when it opens on Wed., but he finally figured out that if he begs her she'll take him. (He doesn't drive.) That means we won't have to pay for his movie and popcorn habit!
#387 of 837 Old 07-07-2007, 11:37 PM

July 1- $47 @ Amazon :
July 2-
July 3- $214.13 budgeted groceries, csa, overdraft fee from yrs ago, starbucks
July 4-
July 5-
July 6-
July 7-: $9.50 @ home depot for paint after free craft
$6.50 @ Dollar store, $2 was budgeted $4 unnecessary
$5.70 @ post office, budgeted
$21.00 @ knitpicks for 2 knitting books, not budgeted but "allowed"
total: $13.50 unneccesary money/$28.70 budgeted/allowed

We are pretty much stuck at home until Tuesday as I am down to only 1 day of park snacks/drinks for playgroup park day which is also when I grocery shop. So should be no spending days.
#388 of 837 Old 07-07-2007, 11:39 PM

Yesterday I spent zero dollars. I almost tasted the forbidden fruit a la a really cute jeans jacket at the thrift store. I talked myself off the ledge so crisis averted. Last night I cut a co-op order in half. I'd drop out completely but I'm the one who requested the co-op in the first place. : It's a laptop lunches co-op and I do really need a new lunch bag so I feel like it's justified. Today I spent $42 at the farmer's market. This was part of our grocery budget and included 1/2 flat of raspberries to make my mom her favorite jam. I've only been with you gals for 2 days but so far so good!

July 6:
July 7:
#389 of 837 Old 07-07-2007, 11:58 PM

July 1:
July 2:
July 3:
July 4:
July 5: $12.75
July 6:$26.00
July 7:

Quote:
krisnc How do you make $122. in grocery money last 6 weeks?
Well there's only 2 of us. I only buy what I need, I use a lot of what I already have to make our meals. We make meal plans (loosely, it's not jotted down for every day, but we have a list of meals). We are both normally really busy (he works full time and goes to school full time and normally I'm in school full time and work part time) so we eat things like cereal or sandwiches when we don't have a lot of time. We eat out about once a week, but normally only Little Caesar's or McDonalds. And I use coupons and only shop sales. This was my list for this time:

Meijer:
Ground beef ($10 worth)
Lunch meat ($6 worth)
Steak - got about $15 dollars worth
bananas
Frozen pizza - got four as they were on sale and put three in the freezer.
Meijer Gold Items - had 4 coupons for $1.50 off a Meijer gold item. Their ice cream was on sale for $3.50 so we got four things for 2.00 each and put them in our freezer. Normally we get organic ice cream, but didn't do that this month.
Hot dog buns
Popcorn - on sale for $1.
2 things of Aussie conditioner with a rain check.

* we also had a coupon for $3 off $25 here.

Walmart:
Enchilada sauce
Sour cream
Green beans
Cream of mushroom
Cereal bars
Soup
Freezer bags
Hotdogs - on sale for 66 cents, so got two packs.
Eggs
Pringles - 2 cans

Sawall:
Sawall:
Jelly - 2 things
Egg noodles - 2
Macaroni and Cheese - 2.
Peanut butter cookies - splurge
Smart water - bad planning

Dp bought some strawberries already, which was also on the list. We will need to pick up organic milk (not for about 3 weeks) and dog food. We try to get the milk on sale and stock up. I normally have coupons too so I can get it for $2 a half gallon instead of the normal $3.50.

This will make about 19 meals for us with things we already have or already purchased on sale. We make most treats (cookies, strawberry shortcake, muffins) and bake our own bread.
#390 of 837 Old 07-08-2007, 01:50 AM

Oh I am so thankful I found this thread. Alot of the time I feel like we are being nickeled and dimed to death.

So I'll start my first entry,
July 6: $27 $22 (shipping to send out Baby Carriers covered in budget)
$5 to Macdonalds unneccesary
July 7: $37 $17 neccesary purchases at the grocery store. $20 (paypal for cloth dipes)

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (11 1/2) and DD2 (8). Entering our 4th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers. 10/2014 items purged.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page