No Spending in July ~ Want to save money? We'll help you. Please join us at any time. - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 837 Old 07-09-2007, 02:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
July 1-5 Hadn't joined yet
July 6
July 7 $42 at the farmer's market, within the budget
July 8 $12 at grocery store, got fixins to make pizza from scratch (even the dough with is a new venture for me)

One of my goals was to do more cooking from scratch so I think the grocery store visit was justified. So far, so good!
#422 of 837 Old 07-09-2007, 07:11 AM

Mami - We just love that cake! I use ww flour too and our entire family loves it any time of day. What we don't eat during the week, I slice into small bars, put All Fruit in the middle, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze to use instead of cereal bars later.

J'sMama - way to go on the mama cloth! It is an investment you will love. You never run out, easy to travel with, and cramps will soon be a thing of the past! Congrats!

July 8th - spent $2 that was not budgeted. I found 2 lb bags of macaroni at the dollar store and bought 2 bags. So, I got 4 pounds of macaroni! I make mac n cheese for pot lucks, family get togethers, etc. and like to have plenty on hand to make last minute.

Today's goal:

keep line drying
using cloth
go to the library
renew our community center membership (FREE!)
Cook from scratch what I didn't cook yesterday

I'm missing my cable, but replacing that TV time with crochet and knitting. So, maybe I do have time to make extra Christmas gifts!
#423 of 837 Old 07-09-2007, 10:43 AM

: subbing.
#424 of 837 Old 07-09-2007, 11:03 AM

July 6- $4 on stupid toys at the dollar store
July 7- $25 dining out, out of town-necessary
July 8- $11.00 pizza, unnecessary, just lazy

I brought my lunch today and made coffee at home!

Maggie, wife and mom to three
#425 of 837 Old 07-09-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Joseph;8587729[B
J'sMama[/B] - way to go on the mama cloth! It is an investment you will love. You never run out, easy to travel with, and cramps will soon be a thing of the past! Congrats!
I can't believe the diference switching to mama cloth made for me: shorter cycle, lighter flow, not to mention saving $ and reducing toxins and waste.

So far so good on the spending. I did spend budgeted grocery money yesterday: $3.54. Likely won't spend anything today, but we'll see . . . .

Thanks for all the cheerleading and support mamas! It really does help!
#426 of 837 Old 07-09-2007, 12:30 PM

July 8th--Spent $0.00
#427 of 837 Old 07-09-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadia105 View Post
Okay I am over the nursing necklace coop (thanks Prudence!), but I joined the Bamboosa one . I'm thinking about dropping out of it though, b/c even though I do need a couple shirts, I don't really need the yoga pants and washcloths that I had picked out b/c they were such a good deal. I have $20 in credit at Gap, that will get me a couple tshirts for free!

I was all poised to buy my stroller, but something felt off right before I hit the button to finalize the sale, so I am going to wait. No idea why it was like that, but I can wait and figure it out. I checked craigslist really quick to make sure that one hadn't come up for less money, but there was nothing. I keep thinking that I will find one at a garage sale as soon as I buy a new one. I saw one 2 years ago at a sale and am still kicking myself for not buying it -- it was $75 and looked brand new. I must let that go .

So, today was a nother no spend for me.

This weekend we will probably go to Home Depot for mulch, a sprinkler, and a fence to keep the bunnies out of my strawberries. I need to check their fencing prices too -- we may finally put in a real fence in the backyard with DH's bonus check that we will get in the next week or so. I also need to go to Target to see if they have glass breastmilk storage containers and a bottle to fit the pump SIL is loaning me.

This challenge does seem easier this month. I am more used to asking myself if I really need something and being honest with the answer. I know I usually spend so much money on things that aren't really frivolous, but aren't necessary either.

I don't have a Starbucks addiction, but I may get one from all the talk on this thread ! Some days I could really use some caffeine and ds doesn't tolerate the caffeine in soda, so a latte could do me good. Fortunately, packing all three of the kids up is more work than the latte is worth!

Nadia, you were looking for a double stroller right? Just keep checking craigslist. I saw atop of the line BOB sport utility double jogger for $100 and they sell for over $500!

I don't know where you ae but that was for the DC area, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

We haven't spent anything in almost a week until yesterday. $22 at the mall including lunch........this actually isn't as hard as I thought it'd be!
#428 of 837 Old 07-09-2007, 01:51 PM

Prudence, I'm sorry that this wasn't the month for you . You're right though, now you have a little more time to save.

doublesnap, a BOB for $100! that is amazing! I haven't seen anything on mine that cheap unless it is in really bad shape. I will keep checking though, I got an Arm's Reach Cosleeper for $75 off there!

Well, yesterday was big spend, but okay spend. $6 at Target for a couple needed things, $20 there for a bday present, $110: on nursing bras and $20.50 for a pair of shorts and 2 shirts. Note to self: NEVER go to a store and try things on in the horrible flourescent lighting when you are only 4 weeks pp! the loose belly does not look good there!

Today should be a good day. I'm going to pick up a book at the library and probably not do much else that will cost $$. I have a TON of things to get done around the house.

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#429 of 837 Old 07-09-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskennedy View Post
TRIBE! Poor mama! I know how you feel... Sometimes my urge to spend is so huge and lasts for so long that I'm convinced I have spent, even when I haven't! No kidding! So I know how you feel, but I know you can beat the urge too! And you'll *have* the money in the end, too!
I'm glad I posted. I went back looking thru my large needle stash and found a 24" #5 that I needed! *whew* glad I didn't decide to go ahead and buy one, which had it not been for this thread I probably would have and then some.

I get to see a glamourmom top in person tomorrow to see if I like them, if I do I think I will go ahead and get one. DD will probably be nursing for another year, and I can wear it when not nursing, and if we ever get pg again I will still have a great nursing top....
#430 of 837 Old 07-09-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIBE View Post
I'm glad I posted. I went back looking thru my large needle stash and found a 24" #5 that I needed! *whew* glad I didn't decide to go ahead and buy one, which had it not been for this thread I probably would have and then some.

I get to see a glamourmom top in person tomorrow to see if I like them, if I do I think I will go ahead and get one. DD will probably be nursing for another year, and I can wear it when not nursing, and if we ever get pg again I will still have a great nursing top....
I love my glamourmoms

as for me.....:

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#431 of 837 Old 07-09-2007, 02:14 PM

July 1-7 $242.83 budgeted/allowed
$60.50 unnecessary/not budgeted

July 8-

Today we will be staying home again. I can't meal plan from my CSA, they posted a message saying they won't know what's in the boxes until they arrive off the van tomorrow So I am going to have to at least go grab milk and coffee creamer at some point today and do my grocery shopping on Wed instead, which sucks as that will be 2 trips out to the base in 2 days and that eats up gas :/
#432 of 837 Old 07-09-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Prudence, I'm sorry that this wasn't the month for you . You're right though, now you have a little more time to save.

doublesnap, a BOB for $100! that is amazing! I haven't seen anything on mine that cheap unless it is in really bad shape. I will keep checking though, I got an Arm's Reach Cosleeper for $75 off there!

Well, yesterday was big spend, but okay spend. $6 at Target for a couple needed things, $20 there for a bday present, $110: on nursing bras and $20.50 for a pair of shorts and 2 shirts. Note to self: NEVER go to a store and try things on in the horrible flourescent lighting when you are only 4 weeks pp! the loose belly does not look good there!

Today should be a good day. I'm going to pick up a book at the library and probably not do much else that will cost $$. I have a TON of things to get done around the house.
Nadia, yeah I was suprised to see the BOB there too! We have a new BOB Ironman single jogger we bought over a month ago with infant seat adapter and console.....almost $500!!!! That and our new car were our last big ticket purchases and now we've scrimping and saving. I do have to admit that I love the BOB though.

I stay away from Target.......I know I'll always spend $$$
#433 of 837 Old 07-09-2007, 02:32 PM

is it bad to be excited about the weekend when i get to do a little extra curricular spending to buy bathroom items for the downstairs/guest bath? i never thought i would be excited about shopping for bathroom stuff
#434 of 837 Old 07-09-2007, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

July 1..
July 2..
July 3..
July 4..
July 5..
July 6.. $1.30 Little Debbie Snack Cakes
July 7.. $8.07 Coffee at B&N and black dress
July 8..
July 9..

Frugal Progress:

1. Staying home today. No money + no car =

2. I made it the whole weekend with no diaperswappers and a Mom asked me this morning if I wanted to go in with her on a lot of diapers and I told her I was through buying diapers forever.

3. Not going on diaperswappers today either.

4. Had a passle of Moms over this morning and baked blueberry muffins instead of buying bagels.

5. CD and Mama cloth

6. It's hot but the AC is off.

#435 of 837 Old 07-09-2007, 03:17 PM

We've had good days and bad days...

July 5:
July 6: $150 for a great find, a gorgeous solid oak dresser and mirror (needed), and $45 paint for the living room. Both in next month's buget.
July 7:
July 8: $240 for AC, fan and Arby's. Too darn hot! Not budgeted, but not sure we're keeping the AC and fan.

Here's hoping this week will be cool and quiet. Too many 4th of July activities, visitors and humidity to keep me on task!
#436 of 837 Old 07-09-2007, 03:34 PM

Ugh, the weekend was horrible. But I totally blame that on my Dh. :

We were supposed to stay home and clean for the Open House on Sunday. I was fine and was happily going about my business cleaning and whatnot. We had to pick our dd up from a friends house in town and Dh was getting ready to go. All of a sudden he says "how long will it take you to get ready to go?" I said "why?" "Oh bc I'm going stir crazy, we need to get out of the house."

:

I said "we don't have $, remember?!"
him: "I know, but we need to get out."

So, we went. I said I'd pack food but he didn't want me to take the time to do it. : Then I said that we'd just stop at the grocery store and pick up snacks if the kids got hungry. Nope, he didn't want to do that either. :

We ended up spending $36 on dinner. I was not very happy about it. Then DS1 wanted to spend more of his bday money so we went to Target. We ended up spending $57 there. Argh!! We bought things that the kids really did need but I totally could've gotten the same things cheaper elsewhere (like used!). Dh does not have the same penny pinching ideals that I do and it really frustrates me.

July 7: $93 on dinner and Target. on MY cc of course!! : :
July 8: $0 (went to a family picnic)

We'll have to spend so much on gas this week though, its making my head hurt to think about it. We've got at least 3 trips that are out of the ordinary for us. One of them we'll have to use BOTH vehicles and its at least an hour away. Ugh.

*sigh*
#437 of 837 Old 07-09-2007, 04:09 PM

$3 library fines; I'm disappointed but I'm not discouraged because our system really is pretty darn good now, it's just that a video we thought we had gathered really was accidentally left behind.

$1.50 in chocolate sauce. It was a good price, and I decided to get it for the kids as a treat today while at the grocery store.

Other than that, no unnecessary spending this month. I've gotten good at waiting to return to the grocery store, thereby forcing myself to be more creative about my pantry usage. Yesterday I decided to make the kids cornbread as a snack, and I figured I'd make a double batch...only I added white flour instead of corn meal!--I figured it out before putting it in the oven, and yet there was nothing I could do to save them. They came out as weirdo muffins, which butter and honey were not sufficient to save from their baking soda flavor. : So maybe the chocolate sauce is a little payback to the kids for their patience with my frugal attempts. :
#438 of 837 Old 07-09-2007, 04:58 PM

So here's my check in:
July 1-$20.00 fast snacks
July 2-$1.59 Coca Cola (must STOP drinking soda)
July 3-$2.55 Soda and chips for DP, $9.00 used copy of TCOYF, $113.00 for Beco baby carrier of TBW FSOT (to replace returned ERGO)
July 4-
July 5-
July 6-$6.00 new underwear... (TMI: note to self: wear a mamapad when wearing a dress and ovulating)
July 7-
July 8-$18.95 for dinner/DQ on way home from lake
July 9-

Frugal choices:
  • Biked to town with DD this morning to PO, co-op, bakery and bank.
  • stuck to list at co-op
  • bought fresh bread at bakery vs. co-op for $2.00 cheaper!
  • packing my lunch for work tonight
MUST STOP EATING OUT!

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#439 of 837 Old 07-09-2007, 06:41 PM

July 1-5 Hadn't joined yet
July 6
July 7 $42 at the farmer's market, within the budget
July 8 $12 at grocery store, got fixins to make pizza from scratch
July 9 : $19 for medication (unplanned but very necessary), $1.75 for totally unnecessary candy
#440 of 837 Old 07-09-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:

I know what you mean!! I was MOH in my best friend's wedding when I was four weeks pp. It was great fun to be fitted for a dress and stand beside those skinny-minnies that day. Not.: But it was my very best friend, so I did it. But yeah, you are so right about the unflattering lighting!

July 9-

Today was a day at home catching up on laundry, dishes, that kind of stuff.
#441 of 837 Old 07-09-2007, 07:24 PM

July 1
July 2
July 3 $20
July 4
July 5
July 6
July 7 $34 on Chinese food, $5 on decorations for the house.
July 8 $10 on fabric, $4 on adorable butterfly rug for dd's playhouse.
July 9

Total: $73 :

I am definitely spending to relieve the family stress. I am now aiming for a solid week of to make up for the slipups!

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#442 of 837 Old 07-09-2007, 09:20 PM

July 1:
July 2:
July 3:
July 4: : $32 unplanned grocery trip (for a BBQ) and some food out
July 5:
July 6:
July 7: huge stockup at Costco (completely planned, stuck to the list!)
July 8:
July 9:

I'm going to pick raspberries at my MIL's house in about an hour. They are organic and her raspberry bushes give tons of berries I'm hoping to be able to make jam this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIBE View Post
celestialdreamer: are they offering a special to buy a pass for the bridge toll? Tacoma is about to open their toll bridge but are offering a never-ending pass for $30 with the scanner? thingy free until the 15/16 and then after that its like $11 for that plus the pass fee. I'm thinking $30 will pay for itself after 16 trips across the bridge and be much cheaper in the long run (i am talking myself in to the pass b/c I am moving about 20 min away from tacoma and plan to go there a lot)
Its not really a special pass, its a transponder that just makes it so you don't have to wait in line and you only pay $1.75 round trip vs $3.00. The $30 is the minimum you need to prepay into an account to open it. So if DH drives to Tacoma for work say 20 times in 4 weeks and I end up going 2x week (it varies from 1-3x week, I'm trying to really limit it), then that ends up being about $50 every 4 weeks. All this just so they could add a new bridge that only adds ONE CARPOOL LANE each way. UGH, I can't wait to move next year.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#443 of 837 Old 07-09-2007, 09:37 PM

July 1: $20 b-day gift, $35.76 gas
July 2:
July 3: $246.72 groceries (hopefully we can just pick-up produce/dairy for the rest of July), $29.99 new cell for DH, $4.60 postage, <$20.00> returned clothing
July 4:
July 5:
July 6: $21.90 groceries at Co-op
July 7:
July 8: Church offering, $20 gift for church pianist
July 9: $157.51 at Target ($12.65 = few snacky processed things; $144.86 = gifts (10 big sets of Legos @ 30-50% off, cute t-shirts for .98 ea.) and misc. household consumables, kids' clothes)

JULY TOTALS TO DATE:
"Good" (i.e. within budget + anticipated): Not tracking here (tracked in M/S Money); it's all good!
"Okay" (not in budget, but pretty necessary): $54.59
"Bad" (not in budget, not necessary): $12.65
"Fantastic" (items returned/sold): <$20.00>

Kim
#444 of 837 Old 07-09-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
Its not really a special pass, its a transponder that just makes it so you don't have to wait in line and you only pay $1.75 round trip vs $3.00. The $30 is the minimum you need to prepay into an account to open it. So if DH drives to Tacoma for work say 20 times in 4 weeks and I end up going 2x week (it varies from 1-3x week, I'm trying to really limit it), then that ends up being about $50 every 4 weeks. All this just so they could add a new bridge that only adds ONE CARPOOL LANE each way. UGH, I can't wait to move next year.
yeah I went back and read about it again and saw that : Where r you? We are buying a house in Shelton, should be in by the end of the month.
#445 of 837 Old 07-09-2007, 10:46 PM

for today.

Tomorrow I have to hit the library and then we might go get bagels. We have a gift certificate for the bagels, so they will be free.

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#446 of 837 Old 07-09-2007, 10:55 PM

Best day yet, I think. Just gas for the car ($20) I soooo want a hybrid!!!!
Think a little trip to the store is necessary tomorrow - but I'm gonna stick to the few things on my list! Promise!
July 9:

Bilingual mama to DS J 6/4/06 and new DS C 9/27/10  homebirth.jpg
#447 of 837 Old 07-10-2007, 12:14 AM

7/1- $22 for Chinese Takeout
7/2-
7/3-
7/4-
7/5-
7/6- $6 for dinner
7/7-
7/8-
7/9-

Okay ladies, I am back on the wagon! PERFECT weekend!

On Friday I picked a load of blackberries in my backyard. Yesterday was my wedding anniversary so I made a beautiful blackberry cobbler (SO GOOD!). I also made a batch of peanut butter fudge as a gift for dh. Then Amelia & I make anniversary cards. So....NO MONEY SPENT!

I did a lot of baking over the weekend. Tomorrow I'm going to do a bit more cooking and we should be set for the rest of the week!

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#448 of 837 Old 07-10-2007, 12:48 AM

July 1:
July 2:
July 3:
July 4:
July 5: $12.75
July 6:$26.00
July 7:
July 8:
July 9:
#449 of 837 Old 07-10-2007, 01:46 AM

July 1-7 $242.83 budgeted/allowed
$60.50 unnecessary/not budgeted

July 8-
July 9-
July 9-
#450 of 837 Old 07-10-2007, 02:23 AM

July 1-7 $210 Budgeted/Allowed22.40 unplanned
July 8-
July 9 - Costco $40
dh passport $168

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page