No Spending in July ~ Want to save money? We'll help you. Please join us at any time. - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 837 Old 07-11-2007, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE=TRIBE;8609016]I got ben & jerrys yesterday too it wasnt as good as I had hoped afterall, must have been the guilt *sigh*

Oh, there is RARELY guilt involved with B&J for me!!!! haha

This isn't really spending/saving related but I'mfeeling thrown for a loop today because we discovere that DS has what appears to be a peanut allergy! Sucks! Poor baby has a horrible rash all over and is really irritable. He eats everything and has NEVER had a reaction to anything else so I really wasn't expecting this!
Anyways, good luck today ladies!!

Bilingual mama to DS J 6/4/06 and new DS C 9/27/10  homebirth.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#482 of 837 Old 07-11-2007, 02:21 PM

i didn't check in last night, but yesterday was good. I did spend 15.77 at the grocery. I needed sugar, baking soda and coffee creamer (so i wouldn't hit starbucks). Even with the groceries from Mon we are under our grocery budget this week!

I may have to buy a swim outfit and hat for baby online though. I think I have come up with a way to hit the beach alone with both children, but I need to have something to protect ds from the sun.

Today should be a no spend day. we are going to call and look at some cheaper houses to rent. Some include utilities in the price, so everyone keep your fingers crossed for us!
#483 of 837 Old 07-11-2007, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

July 1..
July 2..
July 3..
July 4..
July 5..
July 6.. $1.30 Little Debbie Snack Cakes
July 7.. $8.07 Coffee at B&N and black dress
July 8..
July 9..
July 10. $11.88 McDonald's
July 11.. $7.95 McDonald's, $54 Walmart

Tally of Evil = $83.20

Little Debbie Snack Cakes, McDonald's, Walmart, Kool Aid...I am one trashy-spendin' woman.

I'm not going to list the things I got at Walmart because you'd be reading all day -- but we didn't ~need~ a thing that I bought, you can trust me on that one..

#484 of 837 Old 07-11-2007, 03:12 PM

July 11-

It is so flipping hot here. It's too hot to do anything or go anywhere.
#485 of 837 Old 07-11-2007, 04:25 PM

July 1:
July 2: ($30 gas)
July 3: Forgot and went out for ice cream...$10
July 4:
July 5: $57 I'm okay with, $8.50 not budgeted (breakfast and candy)
July 6: I was doing good...but my mom talked me into dinner out. It was cheap, but $6 I didn't really need to spend.
July 7: $25 groceries, $14 dog food, both budgeted. $3 T shirt for DD to dye at day camp this week, not budgeted but necessary. $2 hamburger and fries, not budgeted.
July 8:
July 9: $7.37, comes out of hs budget.
July10: $10 copay-checkup for DD
July 11: $20 field trip for DD. How does everyone budget things that are necessary but not an easy category? I consider this kind of stuff important, but she is going to an amusement park so I am not putting it in my homeschool budget. Kids entertainment?

Anyway, the rest of the day should be easy, it’s too hot here too! Plus I only have less than a quarter tank of gas and DH doesn’t get paid until tomorrow, so I can’t go anywhere! I'm going to finish cleaning my living room carpet, that makes me feel good when it's all done and nice.

Tomorrow I want to buy DS a water table. I was going to get one for his birthday next month, but my mom reminded me that all the summer stuff is on clearance now and I probably won’t find one next month. Plus I want him to enjoy it now, and he’s 1…he isn’t going to care if he doesn’t get a present from us on his actual bday.

Progress this month:
$143.37 budgeted-gas, groceries, pets, medical, hs
$23 not budgeted but okay (the t shirt and field trip)
$26.50 not budgeted (mostly restaurant food, sigh)

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#486 of 837 Old 07-11-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post
This thread is a support thread to help you ~not spend your money~. Everyone is welcome to join (we would love to have you) and you are welcome to start at any time. It doesn't have to be July 1st.
I'm in, starting today thru August 1st to only spend what is budgeted for

Quote:
The plan is simple (although very tough to execute):

1. Vow not to spend any money on unnecessary purchases.

2. Come on here everyday and record your spending.

3. If you think that you absolutely MUST buy something, come on here and tell us about it first. Sometimes taking the time to come on here and post before you buy something will help you not buy it.

4. Provide encouragement for your fellow non-spenders and try to talk THEM out of buying things.

Good luck Ladies!! Let's have a stellar July!!!
Got it!! Today was an easy no spending day, we stayed home
We've been eating out and getting fast food wayyyy too much lately as well as making too many walmart trips and grabbing stuff we don't need. $5 and $10 is adding up very quickly.

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

#487 of 837 Old 07-11-2007, 06:21 PM

July 1:
July 2:
July 3:
July 4:
July 5: $12.75
July 6:$26.00
July 7:
July 8:
July 9:
July 10:
July 11:
#488 of 837 Old 07-11-2007, 07:24 PM

July 10 (evening) $64.75 groceries, budgeted & saved $4.00 with coupons
July 11 & convinced DH it's not a good idea to go to HP and the Order of the Phoenix on opening day. This means I didn't have to pay, and next week he'll be able to.
DH!
#489 of 837 Old 07-11-2007, 07:29 PM

Crunchy*VT*Mom, tomorrow is a new day, full of promise and possibility! (Sorry! I'm sure I heard that somewhere but don't know where.) Trite, but it's true. You'll be ok. It's not the middle of the month quite yet, so you can still get through the rest of it without over spending.
#490 of 837 Old 07-11-2007, 07:33 PM

July 1
July 2
July 3 $20
July 4
July 5
July 6
July 7 $34 on Chinese food, $5 on decorations for the house.
July 8 $10 on fabric, $4 on adorable butterfly rug for dd's playhouse.
July 9
July 10
July 11

Total: $73 :

Three in a row! Things seem to be going better now that the lovely inlaws are gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VY*Mom
Little Debbie Snack Cakes, McDonald's, Walmart, Kool Aid...I am one trashy-spendin' woman.
I hope tomorrow goes much better for ya!

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#491 of 837 Old 07-11-2007, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
7/1- $22 for Chinese Takeout
7/2-
7/3-
7/4-
7/5-
7/6- $6 for dinner
7/7-
7/8-
7/9-
7/10- $5 Wendy's
7/11- $2 for soup

I remembered to bring my dinner today, but I'd skipped lunch. I was SO hungry when I got to work so I got some vegetable soup.

I'm annoyed. I've been doing so well hanging my laundry, but we've been getting rain every day this week. I was up to 3 loads that needed to be hung (because the laundry kept getting rained on, but I was still doing more). Then I woke up this morning and Amelia's diaper had leaked all over, so I needed to wash my bedding. So, I broke down and used my dryer for 2 loads of clothes (I managed to find places to hang everything else.) :

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#492 of 837 Old 07-11-2007, 10:48 PM

Today was a bad day. Our temp living situation came to a nasty head this morning so we kind of just flew out of the house with nothing but a few capri sun juices. So needless to say I spent $20 at Mcdonalds for lunch, then we went to the NEX so we could have little coolers for keeping our drinks cool while we spend 8-10 hours out at the parks as to avoid being in this house anymore than necessary. Ugh so that was $34. I guess it wasn't *too* bad in the grand scheme of things but at the same time it was money not in our budget and had to go on the CC which I had wanted to get paid off

Dunno when I will get to check in again since I am tying to not use this friends things now. Hopefully will be back next week if we do get to close on our house next week!
#493 of 837 Old 07-11-2007, 10:57 PM

I spent $15 at Friendly's today. That was a huge mistake.
#494 of 837 Old 07-12-2007, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIBE View Post
What is it you are looking for/need in a sling? Do you have a local NINO group that might be able to help you out?
We do have a local NINO group, but, um, hmm: well ... We have a MT and it. But, we thought maybe a SSC like an Ergo or Beco would be better with DD wanting "up/down" all the time and MT straps are a nuisance...but, I'm waaaayyyyy to short waisted to wear an SSC. Darn they're cool though! So it's back to our trusty BH MT and our mesh RS for the pool.

Quote:
Crunchy*VT*Mom[/URL] vbmenu_register("postmenu_8610041", true); ]Little Debbie Snack Cakes, McDonald's, Walmart, Kool Aid...I am one trashy-spendin' woman.

I'm not going to list the things I got at Walmart because you'd be reading all day -- but we didn't ~need~ a thing that I bought, you can trust me on that one..
I feel ya mama, somedays just go like that...keep your receipt...wal-mart lets you return EVERYTHING!
So here's my check in:
July 1-$20.00 fast snacks
July 2-$1.59 Coca Cola (must STOP drinking soda)
July 3-$2.55 Soda and chips for DP, $9.00 used copy of TCOYF, $113.00 for Beco baby carrier of TBW FSOT (to replace returned ERGO)
July 4-
July 5-
July 6-$6.00 new underwear... (TMI: note to self: wear a mamapad when wearing a dress and ovulating)
July 7-
July 8-$18.95 for dinner/DQ on way home from lake
July 9-
July 10-$15.35 un-necessary co-op run :
July 11-$4.00 coffee at Caribou so I could use the internet and study, sans DD. Then it was $5.00 at McD's for lunch !

Frugal choices for the day:
  • consolidated car use
  • made my "suddenly salad" sans box mix
MUST STOP EATING OUT!

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#495 of 837 Old 07-12-2007, 10:24 AM

I overspent last month, so I have been returning some things. I think the cashiers are probably tired of it LOL. I need clothes for work, but then they dont fit or are not exactly what I want to I return. I need to save up to buy quality things I guess, or thrift more but I never have the time.

Ive got 3 more things to return and something to exchange, and then I am staying out of the stores except for the Joanne's pattern sale this week. Going to get the patterns I want for $1.99 vs 6.95.
#496 of 837 Old 07-12-2007, 02:10 PM

July 1-$31
July 2-$12
July 3-$7
July 4-$20
July 5-$3
July 6- My first!!!
July 7-$4
July 8-
July 9-$14
July 10-$7
July 11- I did spend $8 on groceries but that's a need.
July 12-
#497 of 837 Old 07-12-2007, 03:09 PM

1. :
2. : 5.81 ice cream
3.: Bugeted 72.00 groceries/:unbugeted spending 3.81
4. :
5. :
6.: unbugeted:5.27/ Bugeted: 137.27 meds/40.65 gas
7. :
8.: I went into a thrift today Unbugeted:14.03 thrift,5.00
9.:
10.:76.98 groceries/16.98 overbuget-some was dinner/smoothies
11. a long day full of errands out-two doctors appointments,helped my Bio-mom declutter for two hours, visited father in the hospital, spent $$ too-14.00 for pizza lunch as Dd was starving, 6.98-things to bring my dad in the hospital (necessary),25.17 gas
12.: 2.00 parking at dr's-no other spending today! lots to do at home! +20.00 in ebay items sold after fees!

tally of evil: 48.86
#498 of 837 Old 07-12-2007, 03:52 PM

We have so fallen off the wagon that I can't even see the stupid thing any longer. :
#499 of 837 Old 07-12-2007, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

July 1..
July 2..
July 3..
July 4..
July 5..
July 6.. $1.30 Little Debbie Snack Cakes
July 7.. $8.07 Coffee at B&N and black dress
July 8..
July 9..
July 10. $11.88 McDonald's
July 11.. $7.95 McDonald's, $54 Walmart
July 12.. $7.95 McDonald's, $53 Fair Pass, $15 OPKs

Tally of Evil = $159.20

I don't fall off the wagon, I LEAP off.

Please slow that wagon down, I need to crawl back on...

And what is up with me and McDonald's??? I thought I had this particular vice licked, but apparently not.

#500 of 837 Old 07-12-2007, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and while we're confessing...(well, you're not, but I am)...

I've been on diaperswappers all morning this morning like it is my JOB to spend money.

On diapers that I do not need. Luckily none of my offers have been accepted.

Yesterday it got so crazy that I took out a plastic bin (purchased at Walmart that morning) and sorted out all of my small and medium diapers so that I could physically SEE all the of the dozens and dozens of diapers that I have (in all the sizes...bear in mind there is no baby yet...so why do I have all these diapers??? In all sizes and most colors???)

What is it about Cloth Diapering that makes so many of us collectors??? I KNOW I am not alone in this particular vice. What the heck is going on????

I dont' know if it is the thrill of bidding with other Moms, or feeling like I am "saving" money when I spend money on more cloth, or just loving how cute and fluffy and baby-ish they are. What? What is it?

I wish I could figure this out so I could break myself of this habit.

#501 of 837 Old 07-12-2007, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Jessica -- It has been rainy here as well. I finally had to break down and dry all my clothes yesterday in the dryer. Our laundry was piling up with no dry weather in sight.

Tribe -- I'm sorry to hear that your living situation is going south. I hope you are able to hang on there until you can move into your own place. Spending all day at a park so you can avoid going home is tough.

Madskye -- FIDO. Forget about it and drive on. $15 is not that much to overspend. Eating out is a budget killer. Just resolve to drive more quickly past that Friendly's in the future.

Frog -- We'll stop and wait for you. Climb back on!

Grace, Sarah, Carla -- Where are you????

#502 of 837 Old 07-12-2007, 04:38 PM

Heh, thanks. turtle's spending a lot of money to make sure she's got suitable work clothes--she's got a new, very physically demanding job and for YEARS she hasn't bought decent shoes, they're all second-hand or just really cheap. So, she needs the shoes, yes, but it's not frugal, per se, though I do think it's a good investment. And she's bought a lot of socks so she doesn't get blisters and clothing that is more breathable, as she's essentially working in a giant tin can.

I was very ill during June, and she was very stressed and did more than a little online ordering of special things to surprise me and console herself, so there's that.

As for me, apparently I think I'm going to starve to death if I don't go to the fabu hippie deli every week before the Farmer's Market. It's a great thing to do, because we see lots of our friends who we wouldn't see otherwise, but I probably do NOT need two pastries, a hot breakfast and a handmade chocolate every freakin' time.

I will say that the $14 I spent at the Farmer's Market last weekend for fruit was very well spent--we ate the entire, huge fruit salad, as of today. Peaches, cherries, blueberries, raspberries, and I used up the rest of the watermelon we had on hand, too.

Frugal progress:

* I bought a dozen used prefolds to dye and sell/trade and people seem excited about that.
* I have a huge lot of wearables tied and ready to dye, and people who want to buy them before they're even dyed, which is great.
* I'm still taking the bus to work, round trip, every day.

Frugal backslide, in addition to above:

* I started therapy again, which is $90/week or two weeks, that isn't budgeted.
* Drive-thru donuts. 'Nuff said.
#503 of 837 Old 07-12-2007, 04:45 PM

to you, frog!

Haven't spent anything today, and when we go shopping I'm only taking cash that's budgeted. That way I won't spend anymore than I need to.

This thread has been a big help to me. Oh and I made $29 extra today and got paid yesterday for freelance writing, so we've saved some more that way, too.
#504 of 837 Old 07-12-2007, 05:01 PM

Hey, I'm here, I'm not spending much if at all. I'm very depressed and barely leaving the house. But I'm following along, and I am very proud of all of you.
#505 of 837 Old 07-12-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Yesterday it got so crazy that I took out a plastic bin (purchased at Walmart that morning) and sorted out all of my small and medium diapers so that I could physically SEE all the of the dozens and dozens of diapers that I have (in all the sizes...bear in mind there is no baby yet...so why do I have all these diapers??? In all sizes and most colors???)
oh, sweetie, if there's no baby yet I think it makes more sense, not less. Doesn't it seem like an expression of longing? Or nesting?
#506 of 837 Old 07-12-2007, 05:07 PM

Tribe--I was in a similar situation when we first PCSed to Maine, things fell apart and we still had a dreaded long week until our house opened up. I just stayed gone all day long. DH was at work so he missed out on the fun of going from playground to Target to playground,lol. I hope this next week passes quickly for you!

All of you who have fallen off the wagon, don't feel bad, I feel like I hardly got on!! This is harder than I thought!

McDonald's is my weakness too. I was broke of that habit for about 6 years but then I moved by a McDonald's that always has hot freshly cooked junk and great service and now I can't stay away from $.99 large Cokes and a fish sandwich. Maybe I should print the nutritional information and stuff it in my wallet...
#507 of 837 Old 07-12-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
We have so fallen off the wagon that I can't even see the stupid thing any longer. :
frog: If your desire is to live a frugal life *today* then you are already back on the wagon--look down, it's right under your butt! Now FIDO, baby. It's today that counts, it's the only day you have, ever. So are you spending *right now*? No? Then chalk up a big ol'
#508 of 837 Old 07-12-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengingophelia View Post
Hey, I'm here, I'm not spending much if at all. I'm very depressed and barely leaving the house.

Oh, Grace, I had no idea. Is there anything you need that I could do?
#509 of 837 Old 07-12-2007, 05:19 PM

I'm still in the no-spend zone. So far it's $4.50 this month (library fine and chocolate sauce). So I'm feeling broke but

I just got last month's electric bill and was thrilled to see that although the AC has been on, my cost-cutting measures (setting it at 80 or above, line drying, etc) have really kept it a lot lower than last year at this time. It's encouraging.

I am thinking of calling the handyperson again, this time to repair a couple windows, install a new ceiling fan, and a couple other tasks. I could probably figure out how to do these things, but I am not feeling ready to take the leap right now (I have never been handy, but as a single woman I think I'm going to have to figure it out). So I guess that will be unnecessary spending if I do it. Should I fight the convenience and at least attempt these things (please say no)? Or give in (please justify it)?

McDonalds fans: Have you seen Supersize Me? I am sure you are well aware of the downside of mcd's but seeing that movie may give you fresh motivation. (And maybe it would be good to have someone do a similar movie about Starbucks... Hmm... Living only on Starbucks products for a month?!!!)
#510 of 837 Old 07-12-2007, 05:22 PM

avengingophelia, hope you feel better soon! 2 Sending peace and positive energies your way!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page