No Spending in July ~ Want to save money? We'll help you. Please join us at any time. - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#541 of 837 Old 07-13-2007, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I spent no money today!

Not only that, but I got a free lunch (colleague's going away party) and brought home dinner and dessert for turtle and me. Woot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#542 of 837 Old 07-13-2007, 10:43 PM

I'm just finding it too hard keeping up with the thread this month. Plus I have been spending. Most is in our budget but it's still hard to know where we stand for it. We don't need a new vacuum thank goodness! I love my new camera; it was so worth it! I haven't had time to look at the printer yet, but it looks awesome. I'll be able to photocopy stuff for the kids I babysit. Speaking of which, babysitting is one of the most stressful things I have done in ages! If it wasn't family I would quit as I'm getting way less than I'd charge anyone else (they are probably poorer than we are) and they can eat, so our food budget is taking a hit. Good thing I'm not in it for the money, lol! (I'd do it for free if we could afford it) My kids love having them over so that alone is worth it.

So I need to smarten up and get back on track. I think I'm going to have to raise our food budget between increased grocery costs and the extra mouths. At least we're on track for saving and have all our bills caught up and lots extra
#543 of 837 Old 07-13-2007, 10:54 PM

July 1
July 2
July 3 $20
July 4
July 5
July 6
July 7 $34 on Chinese food, $5 on decorations for the house.
July 8 $10 on fabric, $4 on adorable butterfly rug for dd's playhouse.
July 9
July 10
July 11
July 12
July 13

Total: $73 :

Finally starting to feel back on track.

Carla- Glad to read an update from you! I hope the babysitting gets less stressful for you soon.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#544 of 837 Old 07-13-2007, 10:55 PM

Paid our last "collections" bill today! Personaly I know we didn't owe it but dealing with comcast is a nightmare & since it had been over a yr it would have been too hard to prove, so we paid to get it off our credit. I know that is one big reason dh's credi score was so low which ticks me off that 1) we didn't even know we owed them money until buying our house and 2) we had worked very hard to pay off his debts years ago and build his credit

I actually came to post and say that in this months Woman's day there is a short, somewhat good article on emotional spending and tips on how to stop it. Might be something to browse at during the long check out lines or sipping coffee at B&N

I aso came to ask that everyone send out as many positive thoughts as possible that we close on our house by Tues or Wed. My 2 older boys come back from visiting their grandparents on Tues and if we haven't closed then I have to get a hotel. Ugh. So good house closing thoughts!!!
#545 of 837 Old 07-13-2007, 11:15 PM

Carla, I babysat for family for about a year, it was very stressful! I hope it calms down for you soon!

to Grace and frog and Valerie.

Has anyone seen my wagon? I think I lost it. Actually, it hasn't been too bad, but we got takeout yesterday AND today. It was about $30 total, but very unnecessary.

My stroller came today, so I will be all set for taking the kiddos out for walks . It has the added bonus of helping me get those last couple pregnancy pounds off too, gotta love that.

Prudence, you are definitely not alone in the cd addiction! I know lots of people who collect them. They are unbelievably cute and they go on such cute itty bitty tushies too! Plus, cloth is very environmentally friendly and frugal (well, can be ).

Frugal progress:
Dropped out of the Bamboosa coop.
Cd Michael
Stroller here for free activities with kids

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#546 of 837 Old 07-13-2007, 11:39 PM

July 1: $20 b-day gift, $35.76 gas
July 2:
July 3: $246.72 groceries (hopefully we can just pick-up produce/dairy for the rest of July), $29.99 new cell for DH, $4.60 postage, <$20.00> returned clothing
July 4:
July 5:
July 6: $21.90 groceries at Co-op
July 7:
July 8: Church offering, $20 gift for church pianist
July 9: $157.51 at Target ($12.65 = few snacky processed things; $144.86 )
July 10: $15 on local paper advertisement of land for sale
July 11: $44.99 gas
July 12: $39.68 groceries, $1.99 fish rocks, $71 oil change/headlight
July 13: $10 - 4 pints of PYO organic blueberries

JULY TOTALS TO DATE:
"Good" (i.e. within budget + anticipated): Not tracking here (tracked in M/S Money); it's all good!
"Okay" (not in budget, but pretty necessary): $69.59
"Bad" (not in budget, not necessary): $12.65
"Fantastic" (items returned/sold): <$20.00>

Kim
#547 of 837 Old 07-13-2007, 11:51 PM

i haven't been able to check in the past couple days. they were bad anyway.
July 112.70 Mcd's iceream, 62.00 on SPF onepiece swimsuit for ds (much needed but not budgeted). Icecream was because I needed to go to walmart and dc fell asleep so i got myself an icecream and went to the dock and sat in the car and read while they napped. It was so woth it!

July 12Finally made it to Walmart $48. $8 was not needed. The other $40 was for groceries and sympathy card. We have been making all the thank you cards and B-day card, but that was one that needed to be bought.

July 13 15 cents for a copy at Library but paid for it with change from the car. Made my first e-bay sale. Only $3 though.Packed lunch for Dh and brought enough H2O for all the errands. got them all done in 1 trip! Also took all the recycling off dh boat it should be about $3 also. I'll take it on Tues.

Tommorrow should be good. I'm back on track. eating out of the pantry.
#548 of 837 Old 07-13-2007, 11:54 PM

July 13
$35.09 for prescription not covered by ins.
: unfortunate but necessary. No other spending today.
#549 of 837 Old 07-14-2007, 02:36 AM

So here's my check in:
July 1-$20.00 fast snacks
July 2-$1.59 Coca Cola (must STOP drinking soda)
July 3-$2.55 Soda and chips for DP, $9.00 used copy of TCOYF, $113.00 for Beco baby carrier of TBW FSOT (to replace returned ERGO)
July 4-
July 5-
July 6-$6.00 new underwear... (TMI: note to self: wear a mamapad when wearing a dress and ovulating)
July 7-
July 8-$18.95 for dinner/DQ on way home from lake
July 9-
July 10-$15.35 un-necessary co-op run :
July 11-$4.00 coffee at Caribou so I could use the internet and study, sans DD. Then it was $5.00 at McD's for lunch !
July 12-$22.73 on lunch for DH, DD and myself. (Trying to avoid McD's...)
Returned $23.25 @ B&N and then bought another book/bookmark for $21.25 . LOST THE DAMN BOOK AND BOOKMARK :
July 13-$25.00 at garage sale (clothes for DD, cooler for the car, Brain Child mags for me, safety locks for doors and 2 safety rails for the bed!) $23.43 at Marshalls for a new puzzle, two books and receiving blankets for clients babies.
: That wagon is how far ahead of me??????????????????????

Frugal choices for the day:
  • packed snacks and Siggs/sippy cups for DD and myself
  • SOLD the bECO!
  • Deposited $100.00 to the bank!

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#550 of 837 Old 07-14-2007, 02:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
7/1- $22 for Chinese Takeout
7/2-
7/3-
7/4-
7/5-
7/6- $6 for dinner
7/7-
7/8-
7/9-
7/10- $5 Wendy's
7/11- $2 for soup
7/12-
7/13-

I can't wait until the weather gets back to sunny and warm! I want to feel confident about putting laundry out to dry!

I can guarantee that we'll be spending some $$ tomorrow. We're going out to dinner and a movie with another couple. Could we get together and not spend money? Probably. But this is the first time in a long time that we're having a "grown-ups" night out. Also, our neighbor is going to watch DD for free.

Have a great weekend everyone!!!

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#551 of 837 Old 07-14-2007, 03:10 AM

July 1-$31
July 2-$12
July 3-$7
July 4-$20
July 5-$3
July 6- My first!!!
July 7-$4
July 8-
July 9-$14
July 10-$7
July 11-
July 12-
July 13- $23 total,non planned. : $6 at GW (clothes for DD, baby gift for niece) $7 on cinnamon rolls for kids and I. $10 at the minimart on not-needed items (movie rentals, late fee, COKE: )

I'm DYING to pick up those American Girl dolls for $55 each (they sell for $90+ on the website and ebay). DH and I are still dicussing it. That sure is a lot for being that I'm no-spend!! Maybe if I sell some things on Ebay I can make the money...
#552 of 837 Old 07-14-2007, 08:11 AM

July 1:
July 2:
July 3:
July 4:
July 5: $12.75
July 6:$26.00
July 7:
July 8:
July 9:
July 10:
July 11:
July 12: (AND it was our anniversary!)
July 13:
#553 of 837 Old 07-14-2007, 09:04 AM

beachlivinmom-pat yourself on the back for buying the sunsuit. You live in Hawaii for goodness sakes and your babies health is more important than this thread. So don't feel bad about it. Preventing sun-burns at an early age will decrease their chances of having cancer when they are older. In fact you will save money from not having to buy so much sun screen. Remember, you are a great MOM!

We have surprise guests coming today. My sister and I are making a seafood dinner. My sister invited them down to visit but her house is too small so she asked me if I could host them. Thankfully she is bringing over the seafood for me to cook. I'm providing beverages..wine, water, iced-tea and gatorade. I know... gatorade? I guess one of them really likes gatorade so I will have to go to the store to buy that. 0-well.

finnaly completed dropping my maternity insurance yesterday and the pro-rated me a refund for the month. Yippee some money back. It crossed my mind to take a quick home pregancy test yesterday but I'm confident that I'm not pregnant. Thats a $300. insurance savings every month.

I think I'm going to sell my horse too. My dh doesn't want me too but I feel like I need to make some sacrifices for the family right now. Still need to think it over more.

My friend and I are thinking of starting up our own small business. I need to spend between $10. and $100. on supplies to make samples. If the business doesn't work I can sell them on ebay for cost but I have been putting of buying them because of this thread. What should I do?
#554 of 837 Old 07-14-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooktosea View Post
My friend and I are thinking of starting up our own small business. I need to spend between $10. and $100. on supplies to make samples. If the business doesn't work I can sell them on ebay for cost but I have been putting of buying them because of this thread. What should I do?
Buy the supplies! For me, stuff I buy in order to make money or trade well (dyes and blanks for me, beading supplies for turtle) doesn't fall into this area. They're business expenses, IMO.
#555 of 837 Old 07-14-2007, 11:40 AM

THANK YOU - for the good thoughts and support. I didn't mean to hijack the thread and the kind words really meant so much. They really did help. I'm doing better.

SusanInItaly - I reread some of your posts and it made me think how grateful I should be. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

My Tally:

July 1
July 2
July 3
July 4
July 5
July 6
July 7
July 8:$2 for macaroni
July 9: $75 for Dr's visit
July 10
July 11
July 12
July 13: $200 - dinner out and baby sitter : :

All other spending was necessary. Really fell off the wagon last night.

Goals for today:

pack a cooler for the theme park
cook from scratch
CD
line dry
No money on groceries except for Milk and bananas for the rest of the month
#556 of 837 Old 07-14-2007, 01:03 PM

Sorry, maybe I'm just dumb here. But why do you buy receiving blankets for clients' babies? Can't/shouldn't they get their own? :

No spending today. Going out later, but it's free.
#557 of 837 Old 07-14-2007, 01:06 PM

brooktosea, ITA. Buy the supplies! As you said if it doesn't work, you can sell the samples on eBay. But in any case, you need to expect to put out some kind of money to start a business. IMO that's what this is.
#558 of 837 Old 07-14-2007, 01:54 PM

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself. I'm Jaclyn and have a 2.5 yo DS and a DH, plus a cat, a dog and a ferret. We are in the process of selling our home, moving cross-country and upgrading to a nicer home (not bigger, maybe...just nicer, with some land hopefully.) We have a $3000 budget to move on, anything else is out of pocket. We are getting boxes and packing supplies on freecycle and CraigsList to help keep costs down.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of July. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases. My main reason for spending as little as possible is to eliminate the need to use Credit for any necessary expenses during this very money-hungry moving/job-changing time. We want to buy a new home after renting for a few months and want to afford what we want without stretching ourselves.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month? Game plan?!?! I have no game plan yet.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#559 of 837 Old 07-14-2007, 04:01 PM

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

I'm Susannah. Live in Austin, have two kids, see below for their birth dates.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of July. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.

I just want a new challenge for myself. I already think I'm close to meeting this challenge. This will force me to track it and really see where I'm at.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?

I think all of my hard work has already been done, like I said, I'm pretty sure we're at the point of this challenge already, but I guess we'll see.

I'm joining in today because it's the first day in a new billing cycle for my credit card, where we put all of our spending. So, it's kind of a clean slate for me to start with.
#560 of 837 Old 07-14-2007, 05:40 PM

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

I am a SAHM of a HS DD (9) and DS (almost 2). Our home is currently up for sale and will be moving in Fall. We will be moving into an intentional community that our family and a few others are birthing. We have been asked to live with the original community in Vancouver for a year and then return to the new one. We will see how it all pans out.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of July. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.

a.We need to pay off the last of our debt.

b.We work so hard to live simply and need a little more accountability. Friends are often to nice

c. I do not want to support ugly corporations for several reasons. DH and I advocate several things and we are striving to live it out to the fullest.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?

a.no eating out

b.reuse things in our home for our art (I can spend way to much on art stuff) and only buy what I need and don't have laying around.
Heck, reuse more in our home all around.

c.better budget for paying off bills

d. de clutter and sell stuff off instead of buying more things. This can be fun and freeing!
#561 of 837 Old 07-14-2007, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

July 1..
July 2..
July 3..
July 4..
July 5..
July 6.. $1.30 Little Debbie Snack Cakes
July 7.. $8.07 Coffee at B&N and black dress
July 8..
July 9..
July 10. $11.88 McDonald's
July 11.. $7.95 McDonald's, $54 Walmart
July 12.. $7.95 McDonald's, $53 Fair Pass, $15 OPKs
July 13..
July 14..

Party day today -- spent all morning getting ready, then had the party, and now we are cleaning up.

Staying home all day having fun with friends = no money spent. Yeah!!!!

#562 of 837 Old 07-14-2007, 09:14 PM

July 1
July 2
July 3 $20
July 4
July 5
July 6
July 7 $34 on Chinese food, $5 on decorations for the house.
July 8 $10 on fabric, $4 on adorable butterfly rug for dd's playhouse.
July 9
July 10
July 11
July 12
July 13
July 14: $45 food & drinks (expensive fancy coffee drinks even!), $15 arcade & carnival games, $7 beach toys, $11 fabric

Total: $151

We went to Freeport and OOB today. A lot of fun was had and a lot of money was spent. I'm probably not going to try to figure out how much right now. I am going to bask in the afterglow of the fun we had today. No spending tomorrow, though!

ETA: The total. It wasn't so bad really. I also spent $60 at The Children's Place on dd's clothes for next summer. We got ten bottoms, three tops and two bathing suits!! I love a good sale. She is pretty much all set for next summer and I can't believe how little we spent.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#563 of 837 Old 07-14-2007, 11:06 PM

Hello to the new Mama's who just joined the thread!

CrunchyVT - sounds like the party was a success, in more ways than one! Congrats on the no spend....if I remember correctly you have been staying off Diaper Swappers. Good Job!

Scrapadozer - keep basking and get back on track tomorrow. Sounds like you had a wonderful time!

Today:

theme park was a disaster. Came home, no food prepared, but cooked anyway. Frozen veggies, scrambled eggs and from scratch cinnamon rolls. YUM

Still pretty ticked off about last night but am trying to get over it. We told our friends CHEAP. They took us, in a limo no less, to a nice place, my friends new man o' the month orders our food FOR us : : then we get 1/2 the very large bill! Sorry, I need to let it go...
#564 of 837 Old 07-14-2007, 11:49 PM

I spent money today and I don't feel guilty about it. : $178 @ Target (mostly bathroom and facial cleaners but the kids got some workbooks and a toy, and I got a new pair of shorts), $10 for lunch and $7 for frosty floats at Wendy's. Then we came home and the person we are staying with decided to go out to eat and asked if we wanted to go so we did. $43.86 for dinner and tip. But since I may be looking at a $3-400 hotel bill we are on a very strict budget now so no more spending.
#565 of 837 Old 07-15-2007, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Tribe -- Good luck with your house closing!!!! I hope everything goes well and you don't have to do the hotel thing.

#566 of 837 Old 07-15-2007, 11:41 AM

Yay!, good luck Tribe!!

Our house hit the MLS two days ago. We had a showing yesterday, last minute. The family came twice and are putting an offer in today. : Another showing is at 1130 today, so maybe, just maybe, we can get a bidding war. I wasn't prepared for people to look yesterday, so a few things weren't done, paint-wise, but they were cool with it.

7/14: I spent $13 for Mexican food last night, got a $5 parking ticket while I was there. I thought you didn't have to feed the meter on Saturday.

My eating out budget is going to be a little high. I HATE to do pots and pans or clean the stove, so I will be eating out to help keep the house clean, in addition to be overwhelmed with sorting, decluttering, freecycling, packing and prepping to move with a 2.5 yr old, while DH is out of town. We've moved an avg of every 14 months over the past 11 years, but this is the first move with an active child. It's substantially different than the moves we've made in the past, even though I've packed and loaded a truck (boxes, anyway, not furniture) by myself before.

In the interest of saving cash, we have renovated our home on a strict budget. We got a nice stainless fridge for $750 last year, it was on sale, but not a total steal. For Black Friday, we got a $300 DW for $70. We put "Pergo" (offbrand) down throughout the first floor for $0.87/sf on clearance at Lowe's. We painted the kitchen with leftover paint, so spent no money. We paid $50 to replace the ripped fake grass on the front porch with outdoor berber that is gorgeous and coordinates with the brick's mortar color. We did not have time to paint the second floor, but the paint is only 3 yrs old, so it's not too bad, it's just that two bedrooms are an ugly mauve, IMO. We wanted to paint them light tan. Oh well....too bad, only so much time.

Off to be productive.............

#567 of 837 Old 07-15-2007, 11:54 AM

July 1: $20 b-day gift, $35.76 gas
July 2:
July 3: $246.72 groceries (hopefully we can just pick-up produce/dairy for the rest of July), $29.99 new cell for DH, $4.60 postage, <$20.00> returned clothing
July 4:
July 5:
July 6: $21.90 groceries at Co-op
July 7:
July 8: Church offering, $20 gift for church pianist
July 9: $157.51 at Target ($12.65 = few snacky processed things; $144.86 )
July 10: $15 on local paper advertisement of land for sale
July 11: $44.99 gas
July 12: $39.68 groceries, $1.99 fish rocks, $71 oil change/headlight
July 13: $10 - 4 pints of PYO organic blueberries
July 14: Camping cabin, ~$17 takeout pizza/snacky food after left most of our camping food in the refrigerator back home, $2.50 ice cream social

JULY TOTALS TO DATE:
"Good" (i.e. within budget + anticipated): Not tracking here (tracked in M/S Money); it's all good!
"Okay" (not in budget, but pretty necessary): $69.59
"Bad" (not in budget, not necessary): $29.65
"Fantastic" (items returned/sold): <$20.00>

Kim
#568 of 837 Old 07-15-2007, 01:33 PM

Past VNE how on earth did you manage to get so much interest in your house/listing so fast? I thought the market was tuff for selling things these days. We are about to list a piece of land and we would be thirlled if we even get an offer this year?
any adice?
#569 of 837 Old 07-15-2007, 01:49 PM

Actually, at 1100 sharp, a realtor and a young couple showed up. Just after I introduced myself and said I would be out front if needed, another realtor with a young woman and her parents showed up.

The young woman is coming back later today with her husband, but the young couple just said, "You have a very lovely home" and gave no indication if they were interested. You can't win 'em all, unless they're just playing hard to get.

Why so much interest in a soft market? I'm pretty darn sure I have an answer. In this area, prices are HIGH. Not San Francisco high, but much higher than the national avg. We bought this home in early 2005 for 87k. Other houses under 100k were scuzzy 1960s remodels. This one was a cheap, but pretty 2004 remodel. It was on the market for 4 days. We have listed it at 99.9k and put about 3k into it since we moved in. Now, the first floor is a gorgeous remodel, still low budget but Better Homes and Gardens colors, lovely glass front door, keyless entry, undercounter lighting, etc., etc. (Not to toot my own horn, but everyone raves about it...I'm just trying to describe it. ) Anyway, there are about 10 houses in this price range and all need work. This house needs nothing. It can't go up in value any more b/c of on-street parking, walk-through 2nd bedroom and tiny 3rd bedroom. But, it just doesn't get any nicer under 100k. So...I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but it really would surprise me if it didn't sell in a few days.

We contemplated listing it at 109k, but wanted it to go quickly and didn't want to risk having to do a price reduction later.

Luck and the ability to DIY (and therefore get more looks for the $) are why it's moving.

#570 of 837 Old 07-15-2007, 04:40 PM

wow good luck past vne! the market here is slow too so we got a great deal on a brand new home in an up and coming neighborhood. we were the first to see it and first to make an offer. I hope in 7 yrs or so when we are ready to sell it sells as easily as we bought.

i think i might take the kids to a local fair today. we could use a day out and i am putting out all my positive good thoughts on moving in to the house and not thinking about a hotel

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page