No Spending in July ~ Want to save money? We'll help you. Please join us at any time. - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 837 Old 07-01-2007, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tribe,

Can you try Freecycle for things for the bathrooms? I remember how expensive it was to outfit our bathrooms. Maybe you could get the essentials off of freecycle and just replace them little by little instead of putting out all that money now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 837 Old 07-01-2007, 05:49 AM

We leave for Wisconsin today, the first day of the challenge. I will be taking my laptop so I should be able to check in a couple times. My plan of action is to not take credit/debit/cash and just checks. We shouldn't have to pay for anything, dp is paying for the gas. I have my water bottle sitting in the fridge getting cold so we don't have to buy drinks. I have also made a list of stuff to pack so I don't forget something and need to replace it when we get there.
#63 of 837 Old 07-01-2007, 09:35 AM

I'm back! This will be my third month .

My name is Carla and I'm a spendaholic. Give me some free time and I will put some damage to our teeny tiny allowable spending.

I'm going no spend again because we are very low income and we are trying to save the money to buy a house with cash. We have a very aggressive plan in motion which involves saving about half our income, meaning we're living on literally next to nothing. I'm a SAHM to my two wonderful children (5 and 2) and DH works part time at a local grocery store for next to min. wage (which is why we have so little money). I am going to start babysitting this week for the summer but I am not going to be making much money since it's not much. That money is going right to savings.

July is going to be hard as we may be vacationing, which leads to spending. I'm not sure how to tackle this yet, especially since we'll probably need a few new things for camping (I much prefer a motel, but we'll how things go).

I am going to stay out of the stores, attempt to meal plan again (food is getting BORING!!), stick to a budget and shopping list and try to take advantage of free things.

I will allow myself one second hand shopping trip this month as I know we're going to need some clothes. I am also going to allow myself to buy a pad of watercolor paper as this is a hobby I am taking up and I have learned that other kinds of paper just don't work!

Can't think of much else other than I don't know what I'd do without this group! It has saved me from spending too much and kept me sane while doing it!!
#64 of 837 Old 07-01-2007, 09:56 AM

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

I am Natasha,I SAH with my three kiddies whom I adore but if I don't get out of the house everyday I tend to go a little stircrazy: that's where the spending comes in,we live in a quaint little town with great stores but it's the coffee houses that call my name as I pass them or the bagel place...or the ice cream place...help.I try to budget $10 out of the grocery envelope for friday pizza but that's it

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of July. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.

We just moved into our dream home but the mortgage is high.we need to cut our spending so we aren't worrying about paying it.we want to start putting a regular mout a month in accounts for college,at the moment my coffee habit is eating into their credits
a.No coffee from the coffee houses
b.only ice cream for the kids on pizza night IF there is money left.Itend to find the money from elsewhere when we se up the $10
c.no more clutter from other peoples yard sales.only clothes for the kids that we need.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?
A) Eat at home.
B.make ALL my coffee at home
c.do a stock up shop at costco and plan the months meals
d.make all of dh lunches so he doesn't have to spend silly money too

Help me out ladies,this is my first month and i'm going to need my hand held.

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#65 of 837 Old 07-01-2007, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Joining in, as we will have just enough money to pay our bills this month if we don't spend any extra.

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

My name is Liz. Since buying a house last year, we've been perpetually behind with paying every bill but our mortgage. Moving isn't an option, so we need to cut all the extra spending and get back on track with paying things. In addition, we now have to make another car payment that my dh's work had previously been paying for, as they decided to switch to company cars (but we still had a loan on a car that we can't get out of until we pay down what we owe on it).

Dh is working full time and in the process of getting a second job to pay off the car debt so we can sell the thing. I do home childcare but will be on maternity leave soon, which will set us back.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of July. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.

1) I need to be able to pay all of my bills this month, including the car payment that isn't in our budget.

2) I'm tired of explaining to companies why we can't pay them yet.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?

1) Write down everything we make and spend so I can work up a budget.

2) Stay out of stores and places that I would be tempted to spend money.

3) Grocery shop from our pantry and only buy ingredients that we're missing to make what's there. Make up a weekly menu and grocery list so I don't buy things we don't really need.

4) See if I can bring in any extra money by selling things or doing surveys online.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#66 of 837 Old 07-01-2007, 11:09 AM

I'm Chelsea, 22 - I'm due with my first baby on Tuesday and so I think that *might* help curb the spending
I'm also on maternity leave from work and will only be getting paid enough to cover my expenses month to month (like student loans, credit cards, car insurance), so I really need to watch it. I also really want to accomplish this "do instead of buy" thing, because when I get bored its so easy for me to find somewhere to go and spend money, and I know there are better ways to live. I don't want to be another consumer robot. I am not planning on spending nothing, but I do want to significantly cut down what I have spent and ultimately change our lifestyle so that we aren't buying as much and we are living lightly on what's inside and depending on the earth rather than on external things.

A) I don't have any money and won't be going back to work as much come fall, so there are priorities that need to be taken care of and the rest needs to be put away.
B) I want to do instead of buy and change our way of living
C) We want to plan a vacation
D) I want to have money set aside instead of barely getting by from paycheck to paycheck.

A) Learn to cook (dear take home chef curtis, you are my inspiration)
B) only buy what is necessary
C) drive less
D) accountability

okay mama's here we go! happy july!

(sort of) single mama to one hearts.gif7/21/07. student, breastfeeding advocate, writer 

#67 of 837 Old 07-01-2007, 11:36 AM

I sat down yesterday and started make meal plans. I'm going to do meals one week at a time. How do you all do them?

Erika SO to *S*: and Aunt to *A*(10), *Z*(9), and *D*(8)
#68 of 837 Old 07-01-2007, 11:37 AM

It's July 1st, I think between this challenge and the "No eating out" challenge I joined, this is going to be an interesting month for me.
I need to be here so very badly! I know the only place I have planned to go today is to bring my son to drop off a job application at Wendy's. The boy needs to find a job, he'll be 19 in 4 days.
I have food out to make for dinner today, and I will cook tomorrow evening for lunches for the week since tomorrow is lunch out at work, paid by the company.
I know I will be spending about $10 on Tuesday as my son wants to see a new movie that comes out- Transformers. That's it.. Nothing else is planned for the week, the 4th of July is going to be relaxing at home. I still don't know many people here and if I decide to spend the day with the new guy in my life it means one of us driving 175 miles each way since he lives so darn far and we're both short of cash since he starts a new job this week and hasn't worked in a while except for per diem flight nursing.
I'm going to need my hand held here too since I'm used to grabbing something out while I"m driving all over the place, Dunkin this, Panera that..McD's drink... can't do it anymore, those little amounts add up fast.
#69 of 837 Old 07-01-2007, 01:12 PM

Welcome new mama's!

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#70 of 837 Old 07-01-2007, 01:38 PM

I do not have plans to go anywhere today and the pantry is full. I am going to have to buy a hard drive for my computer tomorrow, though.

Maggie, wife and mom to three
#71 of 837 Old 07-01-2007, 03:32 PM

Thinking about having a yard sale. thought that might be a fun way to kick start things.
Someone wrote about decluttering. Could you talk about that somemore. I think that goes hand in hand with no spending. It seems like in our country we have a tendancy to shop for recreation. I read once that the best way to save money is to go for a bike ride in a park everytime your tempted to go to a mall to just "pick up that one thing that turns into 20 things".
I'm sure we have all bought toys for our kids to find it ignored not to long after and felt like we wasted our money.

today I avoided buying wrapping paper for a wedding gift and my daughter and I made our own paper. Turned out much more personal maybe not very elegant but cute.
#72 of 837 Old 07-01-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikaLeigh View Post
I sat down yesterday and started make meal plans. I'm going to do meals one week at a time. How do you all do them?
I plan around sales, and currently around my produce drop box I get weekly which includes fruits and veggies. I use www.vegweb.com or www.allrecipes.com for meal ideas. Since we try to eat a veg*n diet it's been a hard transition not centering my meals around a meat but when I get into it's easier.

My menus are also pretty flexible in that if I don't feel like making black beans on rice on Tues I'd rather have stirfry that was on Fridays menu then I switch them out.

--I have to go grocery shopping today. And since I am trying to spend wisely it means going to walmart as the local grocer here is pretty expensive.
I also have a business venture coming up which means buying for it, but I am going to try and put that off until August since I can't sew anyways until my household goods are out of storage.
--I have been watching freecycle and craigslist for some items I need. But most of my house is freecycle items and honestly I just want better for my new permanent home. I probably should get over that though if I want be able to afford to do the things I really want in that house.
#73 of 837 Old 07-01-2007, 03:49 PM

All about me...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. I'm Valerie, SAHM to 2 gorgeous babes, 1 year old DD and 3 year old DS. I spend when I think we are "going broke" or short on money. Doesn't help when the budget is tight!

2. our mortgage is 43% of our income - due to taxes and insurance problems here in Fl - need to be more frugal!

Oh my word I can't believe I'm about to write this but I think I want another baby.... If so, must save, save save!!! Our DD's medical bills last year were over 20K. Then again, save for what? I have too many CD's, breast milk is free, great health ins., just need a crib to put next to our bed. Hmmm, maybe we CAN afford another baby! Can't afford a minivan but can squeeze one more car seat in our jetta... Sorry for the rant!:

3. My game plan:

- Come on here and post everyday

- get my allowance and use it like I'm supposed to. If I don't, then I use the ATM card all over town and the internet and there goes our budget.

- get our grocery cash and keep in an envelope. Only purchase things like milk and bananas, eat out of the pantry...etc. Cook from scratch.

- DO NOT buy any gifts! Make or just send a card.

that's it.
#74 of 837 Old 07-01-2007, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'll need help with ideas for things like those spur of the momment birthday parties that my daughter is always being invited too. Maybe she can make some gifts.
Brooktosea -- Gifts are always tough because you can no-spend yourself, but gift-giving is part of our culture and you are expected to buy something ~new~ as part of the exchange...so I usually count them as necessities and just try to find a good deal.

But some no-spend ideas:

1. I liked Tribe's suggestion of a future playdate certificate. Good one!

2. Re-gift...when your daughter receives gifts that you think she may not play with all that much...hide them away! Then you will have those gifts to pass along at the next birthday party.

3. Recycle...does your daughter have any toys that are barely played with? That look just like they are brand new? How about books -- books don't usually have price tags so it won't be hard to pass them off as new.

4. Garage Sale...this is the season. Often you can find new toys with the tags still on them at garage sales. This is a cheap way to get something almost new for gifts.

5. Brownies, cookies, home-made candy...sometimes those are acceptable presents.

Hope that helps!!!

#75 of 837 Old 07-01-2007, 04:47 PM

I'm in we will be lucky if we can make all of our bills in July. And expecting a new baby Ahhh. Well i am usually good about not spending unless really nessecary lets see how we all do.

I usually try to clear out unwanted things, sell trade.
I sell my own handcrafted items online, and sometimes trade for them.
I love making something out of something else.
a firm believer in
use it up, where it out, make it do , or do without.
#76 of 837 Old 07-01-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrijayne View Post
I'm in we will be lucky if we can make all of our bills in July. And expecting a new baby Ahhh. Well i am usually good about not spending unless really nessecary lets see how we all do.

I usually try to clear out unwanted things, sell trade.
I sell my own handcrafted items online, and sometimes trade for them.
I love making something out of something else.
a firm believer in
use it up, where it out, make it do , or do without.

6 kids!!

(sort of) single mama to one hearts.gif7/21/07. student, breastfeeding advocate, writer 

#77 of 837 Old 07-01-2007, 09:07 PM

Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

Hi, I'm Deece. I am a sahm, homeschooling my 2 dc. My dh and I are struggling with our spending habits and really need to get them under control.

Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of July. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.

A) We have no extra money right now to go towards unnecessary spending.
B) I want to get through the rest of the year without adding more to our debt load.
C) I want to break old habits and replace them with new, healthier spending habits.

No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?

A) Eat at home and plan out our meals so I spend less at the store and use what I do buy.
B) Stay out of any store that is not necessary to be in.
C) Entertain ourselves at home.
#78 of 837 Old 07-01-2007, 09:07 PM

Hi all,

I just lost my post.

Alright, so my circumstances (divorce, way less income than even our subsistence needs, so cutting into savings each month) make it a given that I will get nearly all thumbs up for the month so I won't be posting those. I will post if I do stray. (I did briefly waver today about getting $10 in firecrackers for my kids, but the truth is that there are many happy and memorable ways to celebrate the fourth that are totally free, so I let the temptation subside. )

My current challenges are:

To increase my clarity about what is truly absolutely necessary in this current situation, as opposed to what would have seemed necessary three months ago

To continue my commitment to library returns -- only 75 cents last month, and hopefully no fees this month; this one has kicked my butt in the past

To find the right arrangement for phone and internet, so it is cheaper, and boy is my head spinning with the options and the pros and cons
Do you have any input?? I started a thread about this:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=702413

To be active, creative and inspired about pursuing sources of income, to create more breathing room

Things I started doing this spring to reduce unnecessary spending:

cold water wash, line drying
no eating out
almost no convenience foods --lots of home cooking
budgetting carefully, tracking my spending
going rarely to the grocery store, eating greatly out of pantry
meal planning
reducing meat eating
freecycle
being attentive to gas usage before deciding to drive somewhere
set AC at 80+ with lots of fans on
making presents rather than buying them, also collecting good stuff for free
when possible
WIC
learning a lot from MDC!

A question in my head right now:
I would like to take the kids to the pool to have outdoor cool playdates with their friends, but the pool is like $10 for the bunch of us, I think, so that's a hard one to be sure about, as in, can I justify doing it once a month? Once a week? Still trying to figure that one out. We do have savings, so I *can* dip in as needed, it's just that it's finite, and it's our security, with a lot of uncertainty up ahead.

Thanks, mamas! Here's to a July full of love, friendship, nature, deep breathing, good sleep, laughter, and all the best things in life, since they're all free!
#79 of 837 Old 07-01-2007, 09:12 PM

Not sure I can participate 100% since we are currently on vacation and eating out, etc. this week but I want to subscribe for inspiration!

Just want to add that while we are not financially tight right now I want to implement a workable budget so we can save more, track what we are spending on frivilous things so we can omit that spending and stop contributing to the rampant materialist culture we live in thus aiming for more sustainable living.

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#80 of 837 Old 07-01-2007, 09:14 PM

Our town has an arts in the park every year on the Sunday before the 4th of July.
A friend of ours asked if we wanted to meet them there and hang out. We went and I left all my money at home!
We only live a block from the park, so when my dd started bugging me for a treat we went home and got a freeze pop and some water. She was happy and I made it through the day without spending any money
This is a big deal because in years past we would end up spending $20-$30 just on some snacks (a smoothie is $5 alone).
We are also going out for a boat ride tonight and instead of eating out I am packing us some food to eat while we are out.
So, one day down 30 days to go :
I think I can...I think I can...I think I can...

Deece
#81 of 837 Old 07-01-2007, 09:28 PM

Hi I did it..and we were out getting groceries today Since it was the only day DH had off...All we got was food and I didn't buy anything else!!!! I did pick up some books though and was going to get them for the kids since they were so cheap but I put them back YES I put them back!!!:

Thanks for this !! .....Really thank you so much!!

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#82 of 837 Old 07-01-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB20005 View Post
Just want to add that while we are not financially tight right now I want to implement a workable budget so we can save more, track what we are spending on frivilous things so we can omit that spending and stop contributing to the rampant materialist culture we live in thus aiming for more sustainable living.
I think that's awesome. I have never been particularly materialistic, but what I learned when I suddenly got into a tight spot financially and had to set up a budget and analyze what I had been spending--is that my family and I were letting money just leak out in so many ways, ways that did not really increase our quality of life, and I just did not even notice them. Those invisible choices, that add up so much. I wish I could have learned this while I still had more income.
#83 of 837 Old 07-01-2007, 09:40 PM

July 1

MIL & SIL are coming up for a visit this weekend. We've planned out all meals and are compiling a list of things we'll need. We need to be very careful in the wake of the car repair we had to pay for last week.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#84 of 837 Old 07-01-2007, 09:51 PM

Ok. Here's the scoop on me. My name is Erin and I am a WOHM who only works part time. My DH works full time. We make a decent amount of money, close to $4000 a month and have nothing to show for it. We have a lot of CC debt, but I've put the cards on a weekly payment plan along with the house payment. We are trying to cut out the essentials, so I am cancelling our DISH and my Audible.com subscription. That's $90 a month that I can put towards CC's.

There are somethings that I will have to spend on this month, but I'm trying to keep it at a minimum. I have at least two dog shows this month, but one is already paid for. I have the new Harry Potter on pre-order, and we have planned our date nights for this month as well. Other than that, it should just be the basics. I am trying to keep a log of what I spend, so we'll see what comes of it at the end of the month.

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#85 of 837 Old 07-01-2007, 10:01 PM

July 1- no spending! I guess it helps that I haven't left the house though it is only 5pm. I *almost* snagged a bed on craisglist for $40 which really would have been perfect for dh and I but I hesistated and missed it. Been trying real hard not to call about an antique table and singer sewing machine in table (i have a thing for antiques especially cheap!!).
I am planning to grocery shop on Tues when i can combine my trip with my produce/csa box pick up and shop the commisary instead of walmart, which is closer and well not supporting the bigbox. I don't think I will spend over $80 for 2 weeks but I really need to do my meal plan. I am going to an old HS friends house for the 4th, her dhand mine are stationed on the same sub, we haven't seen each other in 10 yrs, since hs so I am planning to bring something to it, just don't know what yet.

And I decided I will go ahead and put HP on preorder thru Amazon, its at half price and I don't think I can get that good of a deal even with my best buy card.
#86 of 837 Old 07-01-2007, 10:09 PM

1 day down 30 more to go. I almost didn't make it as I wanted to meet a friend for a late lunch/early dinner and then just decided I would fix something quick and stay home.
#87 of 837 Old 07-01-2007, 10:49 PM

July 1: $20 b-day gift, $35.76 gas

Welcome to all the new mamas; good luck ladies!

Kim
#88 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 12:26 AM

I'm in! I work 2 jobs but dh is on summer leave until august, we get his unemployment but it's less than his salary so we're on a tight budget. We're also working hard to pay down cc debt.

One of my jobs is co owning a fair trade import shop so I'm always tempted to bring new items home, especially with the wholesale discount so that's my big challenge. Other than that I"m a pretty trifty chick, buying most all my and boys clothes second hand etc. Dh on the other hand not so thrifty. But he has elected to stay on a weekly allowance and give up his debit card for now. That's helping alot.

We have family visiting this month so we'll have to encourage the frugal day trips and family style meals at home. I also plan to keep us on track with the budget, setting weekly goals and keeping it updated. I also plan to do some decluttering around the house which should help uncover some forgotten toys and art supplies for the kids.

We can do it! Thanks for the support everyone!
#89 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 12:35 AM

I've been spending a lot of money the last few days but it's been for birthday gifts for my dd and for upcoming children's and friends birthdays. I did pay a $22 library fine yesterday but that was June. Today is a new month! I know I will be buying the new Harry Potter book and going to see the movie and probably a dinner out but these are budgeted for the month. My friend is coming into town next week but I am going to try to use free entertainment (museum memberships, pool membership, etc.) and to cook a lot. My partner and I are each getting a $10 a week allowance so I will save mine to use when my friend is in town.

July 1 - $78.35 at Whole Foods ($5.95 for gift, $6.20 for my lunch ); $19.95 on birthday gift, $30 on car gas (need to ask my partner for the total)

Total: Unneccessary spending: $6.20
Budgeted spending: $122.10
#90 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 01:00 AM

Hi. I am new here. My husband and I have been on a budget for about 3 months now. (We have been using Dave Ramsey's envelope system)
The problem is we are just getting ready to fill the envelopes for the month of July and I am already trying to spend my clothing envelope ($20) and my blow envelope ($30). Hanna Andersson is having her twice a year sale and her long johns which look sooooo comfy for the winter are $30 instead of $70. Help!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page