No Spending in July ~ Want to save money? We'll help you. Please join us at any time. - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
July 1 - $2.25 snowcone, $1.49 mashed potatoes and gravy from KFC
Total: $3.74

Candy, Mom to Matthew (5/02) and Ethan (10/07)

Trying for #3 starting 5/13

#122 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersmamma View Post
Okay, I already need help. I said that I just visited friends with an insane amount of toys, right? Well, they have virtually EVERY Little People toy ever made. And my friend refuses to give/sell them to me because she is going to keep them forever :

Anyway, I just saw on Craiglist that a woman is selling a crapload of Little People toys for $50 for the lot. Eek! I love these toys since they promote more imaginative play. I am SO torn....I want to get them for ds (who honestly doesn't care) but he already has a bunch of toys and I don't want him to be over-stimulated because he has too many toys. Plus, small house=not very much storage!

Help!
do you really want that much plastic c@#p in your house?:
sorry,just trying to help you not spend

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#123 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 02:39 PM

July 1st: NOTHING! - made dessert for dinner with my MIL from scratch....

Today - having a hard time. Really need a waterproof matress cover for DS's bed. It is starting to get peed on and it is GROSS!!!!
#124 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post
Valerie we are in the same spot right now! And my thoughts are the same as yours...I can't think of a single thing we will need to buy for this new baby, except we have a Honda Civic and I have to figure out a way to fit another car seat in there...okay, we'll probably have to buy a bigger car that will fit three carseats. I have enough CDs to diaper an entire daycare, we're planning to breastfeed, our insurance is strong, baby clothes are cheap (and we have a ton of them already)...I think we can do it! There is a chapter in the Tightwad Gazette about raising a baby the cheapest way possible...Amy Dacyczyn lists all the ways she was able to cut costs (CD being #1) and she only spent around $100 for her twins that first year. (she already had all the baby stuff from her first four children)
You know what? I could probably get another crib for FREE (from my Mom who has an extra one at her house) and have tons of baby clothes. I think my MIL will have a heart attack! (she had one son and even our 2 kids are quite a bit for her). Are you sure you can't squeeze one more car seat in there? We have 2 paid off cars and I REFUSE to buy another one. I just know we can fit one more seat in our jetta....where there's a will, there's a way!
#125 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 02:49 PM

July 1 was a good day, only bought corn to bring to my parents' 4th of july celebration.

July 2: so far, $25.99 spent on haircuts for DH and dd. DH bought chips and doughnuts, but those are his treats, so I'm not counting it.

I actually have made a lot of progress on the no spending front. I found out on Thursday that the spot I had on my forehead was skin cancer (basal cell, not deadly melanoma, thank goodness) and my first inclination was to go buy something. I sat there for a minute and knew a smoothie or whatever wasn't going to make me feel better about it, so I drove home.

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#126 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

I posted on this forum and several people recommended the Radian carseat. Apparently it has a very narrow base. The seat itself is expensive ($250) but if it saves us from buying a new car it would be worth it to get three of them.

So that is what I've been thinking lately...

Nadia -- I hope they are able to remove that spot easily and quickly. I had one of those spots too.

Quote:
is that my family and I were letting money just leak out in so many ways, ways that did not really increase our quality of life, and I just did not even notice them. Those invisible choices, that add up so much.
Junonia -- I like that term. Invisible choices. I'm going to start using that too. That pretty much does hit it right on the head -- before we started doing this challenge thing I wouldn't have thought twice about going through a drive-thru, but $7 here and $7 there adds up to big $$$$ when you tally it for a month.

Quote:
$2.42 at starbucks (i work there, im 39w6d pregnant, and i needed a drink), $9 at trader joes for a few new dinner ideas (and probably $9186703498 in gas because traffic was insane), $32 at meijer for necessary things like gatorade for when we go into labor, and breakfast foods because boyfriend otherwise will not eat properly
Rosadesal -- With the exception of the starbucks drink, these things are all necessities. You have to eat food. I think you need to take that $41 off of your non-necessary list and cut yourself some slack. Don't be toooo hard on yourself or you won't be able to finish. July is 31 days long...pace yourself.

Quote:
DH and I had a talk and decided to shut off our cable
Go Rebecca Go!!!

Okay, that is all the time I have for personals -- this thread is moving FAST!!!

Go Mamas and soon-to-be Mamas and non-Mamas!!!! Great start to your month. Save that money! Save that money!

#127 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Joseph View Post

Today - having a hard time. Really need a waterproof matress cover for DS's bed. It is starting to get peed on and it is GROSS!!!!
Can you go to good will and purchase some super cheap wool sweaters, felt and cut into squares to use as a pad? Sunday they usually have $1 day.
#128 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, one more personal:

Quote:
My problem is this: the rack I want is $103 w/ shipping and my entire household budget for the month is only $100
$103 seems like a lot to spend for a drying rack. Can you think of a cheaper option than this? Could you get a retractable clothesline? Could you buy two regular drying racks at Walmart instead of the $103 rack? Could your DH build a drying rack with all the free time he will have not watching cable?

Quote:
I am SO torn....I want to get them for ds (who honestly doesn't care) but he already has a bunch of toys and I don't want him to be over-stimulated because he has too many toys. Plus, small house=not very much storage
Sara -- I think you have already answered your own question. I am in your shoes too -- I ~love~ Little People because that was my favorite toy growing up so I want my DD to love them too. But they just don't. Maybe because they are overwhelmed by how many we already have. Would your DS appreciate having more space to play instead? Are you sure you aren't getting those Little People for yourself, but using him as an excuse? Less is more with toys. Especially for young children.

#129 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 03:29 PM

Thanks Prudence. I will have it taken care of in the next week or so, the doc said it will only take about 15 minutes to take care of, so that is good!

Rebecca, we ditched the cable for Netflix and have been very happy with it. They actually just dropped their rates for at least some of the plans -- the 2 at a time on that we have is now $13.99.

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#130 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Valerie -- Go buy that mattress cover!!! That is a necessity.

Vinyl mattress covers are $5. A new mattress is $200. Go buy the cover. And don't come back on here and report it because that is most definitely a necessity.

Go! Go now!

#131 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

July 1..
July 2..

Frugal Progress:

1. No money in the wallet = couldn't buy a thing

2. Took fried chicken to park for picnic. I love fried chicken almost as much as McDonald's. If it is bad for you and makes you fat, then I love it. (this is frugal progress because last week I would have hit the drive-thru on the way home from the park)

3. CD Eleanor and hung those CDs on the line to dry

#132 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 03:53 PM

celestialdreamerI would love the sloppy lentil recipe!

Hopefully I can make it through Costco with no smoothies and no extra stuff. i am taking my list and coupons.i'll report bak after the trip.
#133 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 03:59 PM

Well, we ALMOST messed up on day one. There is a big tent sale going on at our Navy Exchange, and DH wanted a camelbak that was there. There was also a kids CD for $1 that would have made a good stocking stuffer. We were headed toward the cashier when I looked at him and said, "I bet I could find that thing on ebay for cheaper....and we really don't need any more CDs." And he said, "You're right. And we won't mess up on our first day!"

Whew! Close call.

We did go grocery shopping yesterday (we are doing no eating out in July as well), and I did two mystery shops for McDonald's, so those purchases don't count in our plan.

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#134 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 04:17 PM

Just did my meal plan/grocery list. I am going to use tomorrow as my errands day: sign paper@ realtors, playgroup in the am, commisary, csa pick up.

My groceries I feel are going to go over budget. My friend that I am staying with doesn't have the items I consider pantry staples that I need for meals so I will buying those plus adding in a few of her paper and junk staples (she is very paper and convenience food oriented) that my kids depleted. I am also making a dish and bringing drinks to the 4th party we were invited to, but it means I don't have to cook that day!

The shopping trip that scares me most is the one when we do move into our house as I will have NO staples at all, no spices no dry goods nothing. Thats the worst part of a cross country move.

Today I am planning to just hang outside with the kidlets and knit. A B&M shop is interested in my knitting for the store so I need to finish up my kids socks so I can work on some store items. This will give me some much needed extra income.
#135 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 04:19 PM

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

Hello! Josie -- 22yr old stay at home mom of KaiBear (11mo.). I think I'm ready for this ... I've even started talking dh into implementing something similar between the two of us -- if he thinks of something at work that he NEEDS, he'll come home and we'll talk about it before buying it, unless it's absolutely urgent. and no matter what, we tell each other every day if we spent money and what we spent it on. we're both awful about spending to get rid of bad feelings (boredom, depression, etc.), so this is going to be quite a challenge, but one i'm ready to try!

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of July. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.

we need to move out of dh's grandparent's house. we need to start a savings account for next year after i have dc#3 and won't be working. we want to learn to budget and stop using spending to deal with things.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?

i don't know! ahhhh! i've never done this before -- not really. i mean, i've SAID "okay, we can't spend any extra money" .. but it never works out that way, kwim? i'm hoping that peer pressure will be a big help, both on here and between dh and myself.

thanks to everyone in advance and good luck!!
#136 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Joseph View Post

i got a waterproof cover from ikea for dd's bed,it was 3.99.i know that's still spending but it's alot better than buying a new mattress!
i

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#137 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 04:51 PM

Well I went out yesterday grocery shopping and only spent 89$ on groceries for a family of 8 for a week! I did splurge on 2 cans of Mountain Dew, bag of chips and a coffee for my hubby...oh and an .88 dog toy at walmart so I guess I am doing ok....

I am not sure what he has bought today, I am sure there was at least 1 or maybe 2 coffees, but guess I shouldn't complain thats pretty good for both of us!

I hope everyone doing great! I know that it stinks hearing that a friend of mine has been out shopping the last 2 days, but thats ok!

Oh yeah! I also cancelled the movie channels that we had, but haven;t downgraded to basic yet because the kids really like NOGGIN...not sure if I will be able to or not....

Good luck everyone!
#138 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 05:12 PM

petersmama GREAT idea on the library borrow music/dvd's! I'm putting that one in my back pocket!

July 1-$20.00 fast snacks
July 2-$1.59 Coca Cola (must STOP drinking soda)

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#139 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 05:29 PM

For those of you who have cable, check with your cable company about sub-basic cable. Apparently, they're legally mandated to offer a package that's very bare bones--ours offers all the local stations (which we don't get otherwise), several PBS, Animal Planet, G4, TLC, and ESPN. Most companies don't advertise it, though they do offer it.
#140 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlivnmom View Post
celestialdreamerI would love the sloppy lentil recipe!
Mmm-hmm! Me, too! Me, too!

Thanks, mamas, for talking me out of the Little People stuff. Ds DOES like the toys (he has a Noah's ark we got through Freecycle, the dino set my SIL got for him, and a schoolbus that I just purchased for him after visiting the above-mentioned friends ) and he adores the school bus actually (but he just really likes school buses in general) but he doesn't ask for the toys or die over them or anything And I don't even think I had those as a kid, so I don't know what this is all about. I do think they are better toys than some, but still! I think it has something to do with my friend. I dunno.

Well, we haven't left the house since July started, so that makes it easy to not spend!

July 1:
July 2: (although dh is out getting the inspection on our Tracker, which is a necessity since it expired in June, but he may get himself a soda or get something for dessert. That's just him! )

Oy! Ds is currently flinging cd's about the room (that's dipes, not cd's! ) Oh, well. It keeps him happy for a moment and gets me off my butt to put them away.

I must go check on my onions....I'm making carmelized onions and lentils, a great recipe I got off this board!
#141 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 06:05 PM

1 -
2 - i had to get necessities (dog meds & groceries), but the groceries were only 55 instead of the usual 80-100 so i think that's awesome.

i managed to stop dh from buying unnecessary stuff yesterday. he was taking a little long in Target (went to buy stain remover). i called him and sure enough he had some silly car wash thing in the cart and wanted to buy something else. i got him to put those back and he kept asking me, over and over, "do you want me to buy anything else?" hold tight to the money!

sarah
#142 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 06:13 PM

I also wanted to add my caveats to this month....dh and I both have birthdays in early January and generally have crappy birthdays because it's right after the holidays. So, early in our relationship we started celebrating our Unbirthday on the third Saturday in July (which is annoying now since dh's job has him working every weekend, so we end up celebrating it during the week, but not forever!). We will probably go to the beach that day and we usually go into town (Galveston) and go to our favorite shop....the Christmas store....and get an ornament for our tree. Plus, we'll probably have some sort of dinner.

Oh, and I really, really, really want to redo our deck this month if we can swing it, so we'll be spending money on wood, possibly a truck rental to get the wood home (dh thinks it will be too big even for our neighbor's truck to haul, which I don't get but we'll see), renting a sander, and purchasing the stain. But this is also a "necessity" as our deck is really starting to be in bad shape and we like to spend time outside. I think the longer we put this off, the worse it will be and the more it will cost to do.
#143 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 06:15 PM

I want to join this. I spent $3 today on lunch. I plan to bring my lunch to work from now on. For this month I will only spend money on gas for my car and my dad's birthday present (the 25th). No Blythe dolls, no yarn until I've used up all that I have now, no books, no movies, no more gadgets (I just got the 30 gb iPod last week). I was raised to be very frugal but after I got my job last summer I've become shop-happy. The ease of purchasing things online is so bad. You don't even have to get out your credit card if you shop from Amazon (free shipping & no tax is also very bad and makes spending more seem okay) or use PayPal, so it doesn't feel like spending actual money. But then the bank statement comes in...

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#144 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 06:24 PM

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

I'm Kristin, mom to Erin (4.5), Leah (1.5) and wife of Erik. I'm finishing my phd in geology and am making my first : student loan payment this month for the three degrees I will have when I complete this.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of July. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.

a. I'd like to get off diet coke. I have a serious problem. I mean the stuff is like crack for me. I spend a fortune daily on soda.

b. I'd like to turn my coke-money into an extra student loan payment each month. And pay off early.

c. I'm in the process of putting my belongings together into my new house.I'm realizing how much junk we already have.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?

a. make a list. I'm allowed to buy food/staple items on the list.

b. water water water

c. did I mention water drinking?

d. no drive-thrus

e. use it up, fix it, mend it, borrow it, or put it off until Aug 1.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#145 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersmamma View Post
I
Oh, and I really, really, really want to redo our deck this month if we can swing it, so we'll be spending money on wood, possibly a truck rental to get the wood home (dh thinks it will be too big even for our neighbor's truck to haul, which I don't get but we'll see), renting a sander, and purchasing the stain. But this is also a "necessity" as our deck is really starting to be in bad shape and we like to spend time outside. I think the longer we put this off, the worse it will be and the more it will cost to do.

Here it costs ~30 bucks to have menards/home depot deliver the wood for you. a smidge more if they use the crane or put it into your garage. Having used all three methods (pay for delivery, rent truck, borrow truck), I recommend paying for delivery for items like wood for a deck. Chances are good you need enough materials that you aren't going to be able to make it in one trip in a standard truck. Those repeat trips add up.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#146 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I really wanted to stop at Taco Smell on the way home from the playground today and get chalupas. I resisted. Thought about how embarassed I would be to post it here and drove home. Thank you for this thread!

7/1-
7/2-

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#147 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
celestialdreamer,

Why not put up a clothesline?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#148 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 07:07 PM

oh my, where to begin!

Josie - welcome! Just jump right in and keep at it. Don't think of perfection, just strive to improve. You'll find quickly the areas you can really improve in...

CABLE/NETFLIX - can't remember who posted about this. I cancelled HBO a while ago, but we have replaced it with the Baby Channel (Please oh please oh please don't ask me to explain...: ) we can probably cancel it now. But no, we can't seem to do with out Noggin... *sigh* Actually, I wish we could ditch the cable because there are only a few shows we really watch.

July 1st - Nothing!
July 2nd - Nothing! I know, I know - I need the mattress cover. I've been trying to use old blankets as well as a mattress cover but I need WATERPROOF! It's getting nasty. Will count as necessity item and purchase with grocery/household money.

Today - instead of buying meat from the butcher I made dinner with pantry items a la hillbilly housewife. Lentil Pottage, Mac n Cheese, Honey Butter Carrots, fresh spinach. My DH and DS think they have died and gone to heaven.

oh and the big one - I don't have cancer! Talk about a money saver! It was a close call with the boobie C-word but I found out today I am a-ok. So, today was a good day.

Prudence....after a day like today, not sure I want another little one!
#149 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 07:07 PM

Very quickly since supper's almost done:

July 1-
July 2-

Got my errands done with no extra expenses. Today I've cleaned and have some clothes to take to Once Upon a Child and a bag to donate.
#150 of 837 Old 07-02-2007, 07:10 PM

Ahhh!! I'm so behind all the posts already so I'm not going to read them all

I'm debating about buying an all-in-one printer. We don't need a printer but we could really use a scanner and the photocopy feature for our homeschooling. I am debating what is more cost effective; 10 cents a copy (8 cents each if I do 100 or more at a time, which isn't always convenient) or $85 for the printer. I may wait on it and hope it goes on sale again (ETA: I'm not sure how much I will be copying but it is more convenient to do it when I need to)

I start babysitting tomorrow. I won't be making much money at all (helping out relations in a tight spot) but I will be alloting my first pay to art supplies (after tithing of course ). I keep thinking of things I need and this way it won't be taking from our budget but it just extra money that we wouldn't normally of had.

July 1
July 2

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page