No Spending in July ~ Want to save money? We'll help you. Please join us at any time. - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 837 Old 07-03-2007, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
July 1: $40 on groceries ($60 remaining in weekly budget)
July 2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
celestialdreamer,

Why not put up a clothesline?
We live in a neighborhood that doesn't allow clotheslines : Its honestly one of the reasons that I am so excited to move next year to the country. I want to live somewhere I can use a clothesline, have a garden, have a compost pile, have chickens, etc. I've been using a drying rack that is wobbly and too small from Target, container gardening and I have a compost pile hidden in the greenbelt

The reason I wanted the specific drying rack is that we are trying to not buying things from stores like Walmart/Target and trying to only make new purchases that are fair trade and long lasting. I suppose I could just be cheap this one time and go to Target and buy a second drying rack, but the one they have is really not a quality item. Its really flimsy after using it just a few times. DH and I are still deciding whether we'll buy one right now or not. A retractible clothesline inside wouldn't really work because we put our drying rack out on a deck when its nice and inside when its raining.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#182 of 837 Old 07-03-2007, 12:10 PM

Here's the sloppy lentils recipe for those who asked for it.

Sloppy Lentils

1 tbsp olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
4 cloves garlic
2-3 tbsp chili powder (add to your liking)
1 1/2 c dried lentils (I use brown ones)
3 cups water
14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp mustard
2 tbsp tamari
2 tbsp brown sugar
seasalt and black pepper to taste

Saute onions, bell pepper and garlic in oil until tender. Add chili powder and coat veggies. Add water and lentils and bring to a simmer. Cook on a low simmer 30-45min until tender. Then add the rest of the ingredients and stir well. Cook uncovered for another 20 min while flavors blend and sauce thickens. Serve sloppy joe style on buns or over rice/potatoes.

Slow cooker variation: Saute veggies then add to slow cooker. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook on low 8 hours.

~Rebecca~

#183 of 837 Old 07-03-2007, 12:18 PM

I'm going to go back and read the whole thread in a second, but for right now I just need to join in. I'm Rebecca, SAHM to Elizabeth (11) and Dillon (10 months). I've only been staying home since Dillon was born, and adjusting to one income has been hard for me.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of July. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.
I need to get control of our spending. I need to absolutely know how much money we truly need to live on, and I need to be proud of myself for not overspending. I get so stressed out and depressed when I lose control of the finances.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?
My main goal is to stay out of stores. I'm also trying to meal plan and use leftovers more creatively. Finally, I'm trying to sew more so I don't feel so deprived--I can make stuff out of the fabric I already own and then have new stuff for almost free.

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#184 of 837 Old 07-03-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
The reason I wanted the specific drying rack is that we are trying to not buying things from stores like Walmart/Target and trying to only make new purchases that are fair trade and long lasting. I suppose I could just be cheap this one time and go to Target and buy a second drying rack, but the one they have is really not a quality item. Its really flimsy after using it just a few times. DH and I are still deciding whether we'll buy one right now or not. A retractible clothesline inside wouldn't really work because we put our drying rack out on a deck when its nice and inside when its raining.
Do you have a small hardware store near where you live? Ace, Hardware Hank, or the like? We have a mom and pop style hardware store, you know the kind where you can buy just one nail if you need to? And last year I got a nice wooden drying rack there for 40 bucks. They keep one or two of items like that in the basement, so if you don't see one ask around.

I second the idea for asking on freecycle. Or post a wanted on craigslist. Or visit the goodwill, salvation army, etc. I see them there. $100 is a chunk of change -- that's my electric for 2 months or food or....

Finally consider making something yourself. I'm thinking a non-folding clothes rack shouldn't be too tough to construct. Folding, that's another issue. But if you buy 10 bucks in lumber you might be able to string something together to get yourself by for a few months. considering the avergae dryer is supposed to cost ~50 cents to run, that's 20 loads.

In addition to no-spending, I'm doing my part to declutter our house by getting everything OUT that we aren't using. This morning: babygate that doesn't fit the new house. Sold on ebay. Backpack, also sold. So I'm not only decluttering, I'm also making a little $. Yay! It is a pain in the rear though, so I hope I can continue at this rate.

My success:

dh and I had planned a breakfast at the little bakery across from where dd1's swim lessons are. He dropped her off and I met him there. When he got there I gave him all the cash in my wallet (3 bucks!) and he spent it on his breakfast. err spent some of it, pocketed the rest. Anyhow, when I got to work I walked right by the diet coke machine and thought "hey, i could get a coke." instinctively I reached for my wallet and found no cash. I normally would walk down where I could use my debit card. today: walked right to the water fountain.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#185 of 837 Old 07-03-2007, 12:31 PM

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?

I missed this in my intro. Here's our plan:

1: No purchases of any kind on the internet unless 72 hours have passed between seeing the item and purchasing the item, no exceptions.

2: Use existing PayPal whenever possible. Work to build that up.

3: No impulse snacking--pack the little cooler with drinks and food for the endless road time.

Things we'll continue:

1: I'll take the bus to work--it's a free benefit of my employer.

2: We'll both pack our lunches for work days.

3: We'll trade/barter wherever possible (just last night, I had a 60-minute massage we traded for! Heavenly)

ate:

1:
2: $2 on lottery tickets, $16 on shipping swap packages (budgeted)

Running total of unbudgeted spending: $2
#186 of 837 Old 07-03-2007, 12:53 PM

B]1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.[/B]
I'm miriam, mami to Dd age 4 and partner to my Dp-I've been battling infertility for 2+ years, and am on IVF cycle #2

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of July. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.

I work full time in summer only ( I'm a nanny, Dd comes to work with me), and will be going back to school in the fall as well as hopefully Pg, so i'd like us to have less debt by paying off some cc over the summer we also desperately need new floors- we ripped out yuky 3o yr old carpeting a few weeks ago and are walking on subfloor in the main part of our house.lastly, we are going on vacation in the end of July and I would like to be frugal while on vacation but have enough for an emergency.

Our plan:
1. Take food with us when going out to minimise expense
2. stay out of thrift shops!
3. Check w/ Dp and or here before spending on anything.
4. walk instead of drive whenever possible
5. set a grocery budget and stick to it-goal of 350.00 for the month.

Report:
July 1st I'm much better at not spending when dp is home as she's more frugal than I am
July 2nd 12.38-groceries at whole foods-overspent of course- whole paycheck is just that for me. 5.68 on ice cream while out(: why when there are two half gallons at home?)
#187 of 837 Old 07-03-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamimapster View Post
2. stay out of thrift shops!
That's the hardest one for us. We've moved to taking cash only when we thrift.
#188 of 837 Old 07-03-2007, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

July 1..
July 2..
July 3..

Woohoo! I'm on a roll!!!

Frugal Progress:

1. Walked to the pool instead of driving
2. Laundry hanging out on the line
3. Letting the car rest
4. Packed a lunch

My goal for the rest of the day: stay OFF diaperswappers and ebay.

#189 of 837 Old 07-03-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
Do you have a small hardware store near where you live? Ace, Hardware Hank, or the like? We have a mom and pop style hardware store, you know the kind where you can buy just one nail if you need to? And last year I got a nice wooden drying rack there for 40 bucks. They keep one or two of items like that in the basement, so if you don't see one ask around.
I will check at Ace, I don't know why I didn't think of them! They probably have one, but they be the kind that I've seen at Target, just for more money. Our Ace has either really random hardware stuff or really high end gifty items. I live in an expensive area and I guess the gifty stuff is more of what they sell

I am thinking I will ask DH if he can try to make me one. Of course, he's the kind of guy that has tons of projects all laying around 75% finished I may just settle and go buy one from Target. Ah, such drama over a stupid drying rack!

~Rebecca~

#190 of 837 Old 07-03-2007, 03:55 PM

July 1
$4 Dollar Tree on unnecessary kids toys:
July 2
July 3

Maggie, wife and mom to three
#191 of 837 Old 07-03-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
I am thinking I will ask DH if he can try to make me one. Of course, he's the kind of guy that has tons of projects all laying around 75% finished I may just settle and go buy one from Target. Ah, such drama over a stupid drying rack!
You could probably tackle something like this
http://www.handymanwire.com/articles/rack.html

also I just learned that most products on Ace's website have free shipping to the store.

And I'll also throw out: I prefer to shop at ace than at target (when I can afford it) because I actually get lots of useful help at ace vs. at target.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#192 of 837 Old 07-03-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Joseph View Post
oh and the big one - I don't have cancer! Talk about a money saver! It was a close call with the boobie C-word but I found out today I am a-ok. So, today was a good day.
: : : : : : :
#193 of 837 Old 07-03-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisie125 View Post
I need help figuring out this whole cable/internet/phone thing...

We are cell only, we just went to cell only, no contract, but the phones were expencive, the service is great, and it's unlimited everything. We want to keep it. We currently have cable TV & cable internet. When I called to JUST get the internet, it would take away our multi service discount, and we would have ended up paying $5 less per month to get rid of our cable. It just wasn't worth it for $5 a month.

We are moving this month, and will be able to get cable TV and Internet for $59.99 per month guaranteed until 2010. If we skip the cable and go back to dialup, we will have to get a landline in addition to our cell phones, which will be at least $30 a month, plus dialup which is another $10 at least. So we would be paying $20 less to have crappy internet and nothing to watch on TV.

I'm trying to justify it in my head, and a $20 savings just seems like such a tiny amount to lose all of that. I want to be frugal, but to be honest, I like my TV, and my fast internet, and I'm sure I could squeeze $20 somewhere else. Any thoughts?
No thoughts but commiseration/support. I just went through the same conundrum, and it was really really hard to sort it all out. Good luck.
#194 of 837 Old 07-03-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
My success:

dh and I had planned a breakfast at the little bakery across from where dd1's swim lessons are. He dropped her off and I met him there. When he got there I gave him all the cash in my wallet (3 bucks!) and he spent it on his breakfast. err spent some of it, pocketed the rest. Anyhow, when I got to work I walked right by the diet coke machine and thought "hey, i could get a coke." instinctively I reached for my wallet and found no cash. I normally would walk down where I could use my debit card. today: walked right to the water fountain.
I think that's awesome. You're making room for new habits to form, habits that may become more fulfilling in addition to being cheaper!
#195 of 837 Old 07-03-2007, 04:38 PM

not doing good today....took the kids to the playground and then they wanted an ice cream then totally forgetting about not to spend I went and bought us all an Ice cream... 3 Ice creams $4.00... later I then realized that this was the spending that is NOT good...

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#196 of 837 Old 07-03-2007, 05:26 PM

July 2nd $3.35 -- iced hazelnut latte. Darn Starbucks. I did exactly what I said I would not do. I drove to town and then stopped in at Starbucks during our walk.
July 3rd $O -- we went to the library, and then came home and I filled up the kiddie pool and the sand table and DD had a blast.

However, now she is napping and I called the local pool club. For $350 we can join for the rest of the summer. I probably would go every day. It is $8 per day to go to the beach, so if we went to the beach 2x per week that would be a lot less. But she loves to swim in the pool. And I know it is going to start getting really, really hot. And we don't have AC. And she would love playing with the kids and I'd probably meet some local moms. (Just left my job at the end of May) I don't know--what do you think--totally unnecessary or maybe justifiable? :
#197 of 837 Old 07-03-2007, 05:31 PM

July 3rd:

Bus downtown and back (had to go pay rent) 4.50
Laundry money 10.00
Tomatos and raspberries (need them for dinner and dessert) 5.00
Ice cap at Tim Hortons : 3.00

I'm okay with everything but the ice cap..it was hot out and it was begging me to buy it
#198 of 837 Old 07-03-2007, 06:37 PM

1 -
2 - 55 for groceries, includes 4 for cookies
3 - 102 for groceries (forgotten), dog food & household but all budgeted/necessary

total - 157
total uneccesary - 4

sarah
#199 of 837 Old 07-03-2007, 07:02 PM

Ok so I had to go to Walmart and get a few things. I stuck to my list until I hit the clearance isle! : They had 3 of the Star Wars statues that we don't have, a day planner and a few activity books. So that was about $25 that I didn't need to spend. Then at the grocery store I bought some junk we didn't need but with tomorrow being a holiday I figured why not.

On the positive side, I wanted to go into a couple of stores, but drove right by so that was great self control for me.

All in all I didn't do too badly I guess.
#200 of 837 Old 07-03-2007, 07:36 PM

I'm doing awesome. No spending in the last 3 days!!!

Got rid of netflix. Turned up the Ac to 77 all the time. Eating all those odd things in the cabinets.

Need help for a party. Later this month I'm throwing a surprise baby shower at my house for a young woman who works for our company. How can I make it fun, special and useful without spending much money. the business can pay for some of the party costs (just food basicaly) but not for gifts. any ideas? oh yes and its a coed party
#201 of 837 Old 07-03-2007, 07:39 PM

I wasn't so good today
I stopped at McD's for a quickie breakfast this morning on my way to work.. GRRR!!! I thought about how I would have to post here too but went anyway. Where is my willpower?!
$3.10

Also took my son for a haircut and a movie today... which was a planned expense.. his birthday is Thursday and he knows he's not getting a gift. He's old enough to realize that's the reality of life at this point, considering I've had my cable, internet and home phone service cancelled because of the expense.
#202 of 837 Old 07-03-2007, 08:13 PM

July 1
July 2
July 3: $20 in assorted stuff (pillow form, comforter, convenience stuff for inlaw visit, stuff to decorate dd's room)

I am not happy with today. I could've done better but I did got totally off the wagon either. Here's to a better day tomorrow!

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#203 of 837 Old 07-03-2007, 08:58 PM

My bad habits continue!!!

July 1-$31 (mexican rest, ice creams)
July 2-$40 ($12 lunch, the rest on new flip flops for DD, gift for BF, gift for toy closet) I am in dire need of a major grocery shop
July 3-$7 at Wendy's. I did spend $18 at Walmart and all but $2 was budgeted. Those were 2 boxes of goldfish that were making my children happy in an otherwise packed Walmart. (and yes, I loathe WM but I need personal products and grocery stores are WAY overpriced in that dept!)

I put off going to the grocery store until DH comes home (hopefully tonight). I just don't have the patience to take them both to the store and stay exactly in my budget. (I can't go more than $10 over because I am shopping on cash only, so I have to really add up what I'm putting in my cart.)

Of course NOT going to the store is costing me money because in my weak moments while we are out, I am hitting the dreaded drive-thru.

I'm cooking out the pantry again tonight. Last night was mac & cheese and soup.
#204 of 837 Old 07-03-2007, 09:01 PM

Oh and kudos to those of you staying on track!!! I am reading all the posts (or trying to)!
#205 of 837 Old 07-03-2007, 09:12 PM

July 1
July 2
July 3
Packing snacks and drinks is so helpful. I've been packing for dh to take on the boat also so no runnung out to Mcd's for him.

Tommorrow is ds b-day and the fireworks cost $ so we will spend but hopefull that will be it for the month

Brooktosea remember the games at Jessica's babyshower? the name the baby animals, you can also give everyone a diaperpin to wear and when someone says the word baby the person who catches them gets the pin. the one with the most pins wins.

I have found cooks.com helpful in using stuff from the pantry. just type the ingrediant you want to use and you get recipes.
#206 of 837 Old 07-03-2007, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Madskye -- Go back and read your original goals and reasons for joining this challenge. Then decide if you would rather reach those goals, or go to the pool for the rest of the summer. You could go next summer, when finances are better. Granted, your daughter likes the pool better than the beach, but could she stand the beach for just a few more weeks...especially if it means you could spend that money to meet your goals?

Moms who are new to the challenge this month -- FIDO. Forget about It and Drive On...that should be your motto. If you slip up and spend $3, you spent it. Don't beat yourself up over that.

Vow to do better tomorrow. Don't let a little spending those first few days get you down...you need stamina to make it through the month. July is a loooong month.

Of course the first few days will be the hardest. Now is when you make your mistakes. Learn from them, and re-commit yourself to no-spending.

Not spending money is a SKILL. It really is. You have to practice and get better at it.

So let's forget about those early mistakes and keep practicing! You will get it. And you will find that it DOES get easier the more you hang tight to that wallet.

And for those of you who made it for the first three days without letting a dime slip away from you -- GO MDCers!!! Go!!!

#207 of 837 Old 07-03-2007, 09:50 PM

Pretty good day today, $36 spent on Shaklee products for the house, necessary.

July 1:
July 2:
July 3:

Tomorrow should be a good day too. I need to get milk and pick up fruit and meat from the CSA farm.

Soon we will actually have to start cooking forourselves again -- we have been getting by on food brought by friends, family, and some members of my moms group since my littlest ds was born. We have a lot of things on hand, so I think this will be a fairly low food budget month .

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#208 of 837 Old 07-03-2007, 10:00 PM

PetersMama: My Dh will forgo meat if mac n cheese is involved! But, it won't last for long. My DS could live on fresh tomatoes and beans and cornbread....he could care less about meat, except for an ocassional hot dog.

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes - I am blessed!

That's it. Holding tight to our money because I just got the fall/winter catalogue for LL Bean and I always get the kids winter PJ"s and jackets as soon as the catalogue comes out.

07/01 - s
07/02 - s
07/03 - s ($31.00 at the grocery store but that was budgeted!)

And speaking of groceries....when I really look in my pantry and freezer, I am astonished at just how much food we really have. Seriously, I'm embarassed that we spend so much on food. My goal for the rest of the month is to only buy milk, creamer, eggs and fruit. (I have tried and tried, but I cannot give up my coffee creamer). That's it. I'm serious! That is really it. I will keep you posted as to my success but I am dead serious. You have my word.

Well ladies, I started this post at 8am this morning and here it is 8:51pm....takes forever to write a blessed post! I'll catch up later. Hope you all had a great day!
#209 of 837 Old 07-03-2007, 10:11 PM

OH and CrunchyVT - are you staying away from all the cd's??? If you are, then I am VERY proud of you! That really is a tough one because you can justify it all day long, but the truth is, eventually, you really have more than enough. I finally (DH is so happy about that!) broke my CD buying habit when I sorted ALL my cd's one day. Well over 8 dozen. You read that right, 8 dozen for one baby and a toddler who is potty trained? ! ? ! Dh took my picture and the cd's covered our huge couch and 3 laundry baskets... it was a wake up call that enough was enough.

My real problem now is that I refuse to sell them and DH wants me too.... *sigh* just can't let them go.

Hold tight sister!!! You can do it!
#210 of 837 Old 07-03-2007, 10:28 PM

July 1-$20.00 fast snacks
July 2-$1.59 Coca Cola (must STOP drinking soda)
July 3-$2.55 Soda and chips for DP

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page