No Spending in July ~ Want to save money? We'll help you. Please join us at any time. - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 837 Old 07-04-2007, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
July 1st: 80.00 - groceries, budgeted
July 2nd: 15.00 - groceries I couldn't get at my regular grocery store
July 3rd: 22.50 - was all budgeted for, except 3.00
July 4th:

I stayed home today and had a three hour nap with the baby..that's a kind of happiness money can't buy

And I found a swing for the babe on freecycle! My mil is taking me to pick it up tomorrow. I am thrilled! I might get to pee alone very soon

Mom2Joseph: Is there a freecycle for your area? I see breadmakers ALL the time on ours. http://freecycle.org/ is the main website.
#242 of 837 Old 07-04-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Joseph View Post
I NEED HELP! My breadmaker broke! Bread is expensive and my babes cannot have preservatives or corn syrup so this is very important to us, financially and eating wise.

Any thoughts? Is this necessary? If it were closer to the end of the month, maybe I could do without. I guess I could still just buy organic/specialty breads but what will that do to my grocery budget? I have tried and tried to make bread by hand, but it is just a waste of pantry items for me.
This is my 2-cents (I can't afford to offer more because I've eliminated unnecessary spending *cough*)

Seriously consider making the bread by hand while you look for one at thrift stores and freecycle. ITA it's a definite high turnover item. I bet you could get a very good one, or at the very least an old one that would tide you over for a while.

For making it by hand, I am sure you can get good instructions and trouble shooting online.

How long would you be willing to make bread by hand, if it saves you a pile of $? A month? Two weeks? A week? Set a time-limit and then get busy baking bread and searching for a used one. When your time-limit is up, you can always renew it, or just buy a new one.
#243 of 837 Old 07-04-2007, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Spent $30 on groceries that we needed to get at the store today. Didn't spend any money otherwise. I even resisted buying my usual Cherry Coke and bag of ice when I did the grocery shopping.

7/1-
7/1-
7/3-
7/4-

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#244 of 837 Old 07-04-2007, 09:55 PM

MilosMama & Junonia & Maliceinwonderland - Thanks so much for the ideas. I will ask around and check freecycle. You are right, I'm sure I can find one. I decided while rocking DD to sleep that I would learn how to make it by hand, be damned! I am willing to give it a month. Part of my problem before has been the time issue. I mean, a 3 year old and a 1 year old...they keep me busy. I can barely keep up with my cooking from scratch as it is. However, I told my DH I would try, for the month of July, to bake it from scratch. I told him it may be a lotta bad bread for a few weeks, but I really am a pretty good cook so maybe I can get the hang of this too. Thanks so much for the pressure to stay on track.

Malice - the nap with the baby...oh so sweet. you are right - the things money can't buy....

What is up with everyone and Starbucks? It really is cracking me up. DH has a bad habit but I prefer cuban coffee at home.......nothing else compares so unless I pass a Cuban cafe then Starbucks is not a temptation for me.
#245 of 837 Old 07-04-2007, 10:01 PM

Valerie,

Where are you located? If you're anywhere close, I have a breadmaker.

Candy, Mom to Matthew (5/02) and Ethan (10/07)

Trying for #3 starting 5/13

#246 of 837 Old 07-04-2007, 10:16 PM

July 1-
July 2-
July 3-
July 4- $0.97 new markers for DS, $7.95 on Starbucks before fireworks, total=$8.92

Mom2Joseph--Carla posted a bread recipe in the June thread. I tried it and it's very good and easy, to boot. I'm not sure if it fits within your dietary restrictions, but it might be a place to start? Good luck!!

--Jen
#247 of 837 Old 07-04-2007, 10:55 PM

I dug up that bread recipe, in case anyone's interested.

White Bread:
1 pk active dry yeast
1 1/4 warm water
1 1/2 tablespoon melted butter or margarine or oil
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 to 3 1/2 cups flour

Mix yeast and 1/4 cup warm water (I proofed mine with the sugar). Mix well and add remaining ingredients except flour and mix well. Add 3 cups of flour and mix until well blended. Add enough of remaining flour to form a smooth ball that is still slightly sticky. Place in large greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled, about an hour. Punch down and shape into a loaf. Place in a greased loaf pan and let rise until double. Bake at 350 degrees for about 35-40 minutes.
#248 of 837 Old 07-04-2007, 11:16 PM

Oy... I went to see Transformers for $8.75 and ate out for $25... going broke
#249 of 837 Old 07-04-2007, 11:28 PM

July 1: $20 b-day gift, $35.76 gas
July 2:
July 3: $246.72 groceries (hopefully we can just pick-up produce/dairy for the rest of July), $29.99 new cell for DH, $4.60 postage, <$20.00> returned clothing
July 4:

JULY TOTALS TO DATE:
"Good" (i.e. within budget + anticipated): Not tracking here (tracked in M/S Money); it's all good!
"Okay" (not in budget, but pretty necessary): $34.59
"Bad" (not in budget, not necessary): $0
"Fantastic" (items returned/sold): <$20.00>

Kim
#250 of 837 Old 07-04-2007, 11:58 PM

I'm doing okay...I'm not sure how well I'll do tomorrow though. We are doing an all day field trip 2 hours away. We're meeting at McD's at 8:30, and I really want breakfast and coffee from there. I packed our lunch and snacks already, and dinner is part of the trip. It's going to be an expensive day--$13.50 for admission, probably half a tank of gas, and dinner out. But it was scheduled last month, and I think DD will get a lot out of it (I sure hope so, at least : ).

I was proud, today I was supposed to meet my mom and sister for lunch and then swimming at Mom's, and I said I'd just meet them afterward to swim. So far:

July 1:
July 2: ($30 gas)
July 3: Forgot and went out for ice cream...$10
July 4:

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#251 of 837 Old 07-05-2007, 12:08 AM

July 1- $47 @ Amazon :
July 2-
July 3- $214.13 budgeted groceries, csa, overdraft fee from yrs ago, starbucks
July 4-

Spent the day with a girl from HS whose dh is now stationed on the same sub as my dh. We were going to watch the fireworks but the closest display is 30 minutes away and I have no idea hwere we would park, so in the interest of saving money we are hanging out at home and will probably go watch the neighbors shoot fireworks for free
#252 of 837 Old 07-05-2007, 12:11 AM

3. Bugeted spending 72.00 groceries/ unbugeted spending 3.81
tally of evil: 9.68
#253 of 837 Old 07-05-2007, 12:37 AM

Today was a no-spend day! I stayed home for the most part, but did have to return some of dh's videos (24 -- the show, not the number of videos, ha ha!). I just dropped them through the slot and ran back to the truck, ignoring the call of the stores nearby. I have to say, posting here really does help. Just knowing I will need to be accountable is actually very freeing!

Valerie, I used to make bread all the time, but my mom got us a breadmaker for Christmas ('05), and now we make our breakfast bread (whole grain with raisin) in it *all* the time. I still make hearth breads by hand when dd allows, and once you get the kneading and timing (for rising) down, it actually doesn't require that you spend much time with it. Having said that, I now know what it's like to be addicted to one's breadmaker (ours is currently set on timer for tomorrows loaf!), so I hope you find a free one soon! (But maybe not too soon, as there is nothing like the satisfaction and taste of a handmade one!)
#254 of 837 Old 07-05-2007, 01:18 AM

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

Hello, my name is Jessica. I'm a SAHM and Doula to a beautiful 10 month old little girl, Lailah. We live in Colorado and am looking forward to pursuing my passion for birth and becoming a midwife!

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of July. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.

A) We want to pay off all of our debt by March 2008
B) We want to start saving for our savings
C) We want to start saving for our potential move to Oregon
D) We want to buy our first house by the end of 2008
E) We want to start saving to TTC#2 in December 2008

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?
A) Eat at home from planned meals
B) Stay at home to remove the temptation of buying
C) Remember our goals
D) Try to repurpose items

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
#255 of 837 Old 07-05-2007, 02:17 AM

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.
Hi I'm Erin, a WOHM to an awesome 3yo named Liam and wife to Jamie. We just moved to Seattle and are really enjoying the Pacific NW weather, but hate the traffic.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of July. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.
We are buying a house that is over twice our old mortgage. We make really good money, but never seem to have savings and have racked up huge cc debt with our recent move. Plus I have large student loans and not enough retirement and no college savings. We need to:
a) Reduce our cc debt!!!!!!!! I hyperventilate everytime I think about it.
b) Build up an EF again. We had a good one, but withdrew all the money to buy our house and fund this move. Now we will need an even larger one with the pricier house.
c) We have way too much stuff that won't fit in our new house and I use shopping as therapy. It's not a bargain if I don't need it!

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?
Since we are moving this month and will be setting up a new house, we will have to buy a few things, a new bed, mattress, and linens for my son, and basic pantry and cleaning supplies. But this means going into Target and Ikea, which are murder on our budget. I plan to:
a) Shop with a list and not to stray from it at all.
b) No "browsing" - only spend time in the sections that I need something from.
c) Bring my lunch to work one day each week and skip the large coffee and get the small one. Side benefit: I really need some new suits, but if I lose weight, then I have a whole bunch I can wear hanging in my closet. If I take the bus and cut back on the mochas, I can have new suits without spending a dime.
d) If there is something that I want to buy that is not directly related to our move, I will come post here first for support.
e) Remember how much I already have and figure out why I feel like not spending money is denying myself something so I don't rebel and binge.
#256 of 837 Old 07-05-2007, 05:13 AM

Today was a big spend day. $90. But it all goes to Hospice. $20 entrance fee, $20 on wristband for bounce houses and H2O slides, and $30 on facepainting, glow sticks and food/drinks. It was DS b-day so we like to go and have fun at the festival and see the fireworks. Please remember too we live in Hi so stuff is super expensive here.

July 1 gas $25
July 2 groceries 55.35
July 3
July 4 $90 ( we should have packed food)

tommorrow is definitly a no spend day since we will be home all day.
#257 of 837 Old 07-05-2007, 08:38 AM

July 1st
july 2nd
july 3rd : $4.25 on a coffee,bagel and criossant for the kids
July 4th

yesterday was easy,we were at a friends house and by the time we got home,all the stores were closed and i was pooped

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#258 of 837 Old 07-05-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Joseph View Post
: : We cancelled our Cable!!!! :
way to go,I wish we could do that,Dh would have a meltdown that beats all meltdowns

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#259 of 837 Old 07-05-2007, 08:55 AM

IO can't keep up with this thread so I'll just post my progress
July 1
July 2
July 3
July 4 :

I Spent about $7 total on non-budgeted snacks (Dortios and a kit kat chunky bar : ) and stuff at dollar store (clip board, sketch pad, tracing paper and colored staples). I don't think I'll be going anywhere today so I should be good
#260 of 837 Old 07-05-2007, 08:57 AM

MatsMom: Your generosity knows no bounds! I swear, the ladies on this board are the BEST!

Unfortunately, I live in St. Petersburg Florida. Another reason why I love the breadmaker so much. I can turn it on and since I'm not using the stove it doesn't heat up the whole blessed house!

MommaBear & TarheelBaby: Thanks for the ideas and recipe. I'm going to start today and see what happens. I'll just keep going at it till I figure it out. Actually, I may call DH's grandmother, she may know how to bake bread and I do better with an in person lesson.

Minimunkle: ummm, yeah, I started to panic last night a little myself! Thinking...what have I done?? But you know, We are actually excited about it. I have used it too much as a crutch with the kids. My DD was horribly sick and I had some ppd so while it was useful, that has passed and we are ready to live again. My DH is actually looking forward to choosing all his favorite shows.

Welcome to the Newbies!!! Hold Tight!
#261 of 837 Old 07-05-2007, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
tally of evil: 9.68
This made me laugh out loud!!! FUNNY. I'm going to start keeping a tally of evil too.

Quote:
Try to repurpose items
Jessica -- what does that mean? Love Lailah's name. That's beautiful.

#262 of 837 Old 07-05-2007, 11:15 AM

My name is Cari and I'm a SAHM to 4. My kids are 12, almost 8, almost 4 and 9 months. I do babysit for 3 boys but it is very part time and I don't make much. We have one dog. We are currently trying to sell our home and move closer to my dh's work to cut down on gas/mileage.

We are seriously in debt and it kills me. My dh makes good money at his work but we have nothing to show for it bc we have to pay cc fees almost every stinkin month. We aren't starving but some weeks its really hard. All of our kids bdays are in the summer so I have to cut back significantly to be able to get stuff for them.

I will not take my kids to the stores just bc I'm bored (well, other than letting them spend their bday money). I am not bad about spending money, simply bc I know we don't have any to spend. I am cool with being frugal, my dh on the other hand...

I will find *free* activities to do with my kids. I've already got a list of cool programs that the library has but those are weekdays. It's the weekends that usually do us in.

I will talk to my dh about his spending. He has a horrible habit of forgetting his lunch at home (or deciding that he doesn't feel like eating what he brought) and grabbing something from one of the eateries near his work. Yeah its only $5 or $6 but that adds up and last month some of those charges bounced. A $35 slice of pizza is totally sickening!!

I hate this cycle that we're in. We had all our cc's paid off 2 yrs ago and now we're drowning again. I am depressed about it and there's just so much stress.
#263 of 837 Old 07-05-2007, 11:33 AM

oops!
#264 of 837 Old 07-05-2007, 11:35 AM

I forgot my lunch today. I can either eat out, or scrounge around here. I think i have a peach and a string cheese. Maybe I can come up with something else...I am so bummed because I packed a good lunch, but left it at home

Maggie, wife and mom to three
#265 of 837 Old 07-05-2007, 11:40 AM

Hi all! We survived the 4th with no major breakdowns! WhooHoo!

Tues: $6 at McD's when playdate was cancelled due to rain. Met an awesome MDC mama there, too! $8 in produce at market, $10 in perscriptions, $10 for new butter crock that I've needed since Christmas and a $6 bowl that I just had to have. Its cherries on the inside and cool stripes on the outside. I should of known better than to go in that kitchen shop, but I'm only in that town a few times a year...

Wed: $14 in meats and cheeses from a neat, local market. It was a budgeted trip since I knew we'd be close for the parade.

So---

July 1: 1.50 wooden toy
July 2: 38.50 on movies, med popcorn (snuck in pop) and sitter, 32 groc
July 3: 28 groc/house, 12 in splurges
July 4: 14 groc
#266 of 837 Old 07-05-2007, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiemae View Post
I forgot my lunch today. I can either eat out, or scrounge around here. I think i have a peach and a string cheese. Maybe I can come up with something else...I am so bummed because I packed a good lunch, but left it at home
I hate it when I do that! I spend all day hungry for whats waiting for me at home -- will it still be good for tomorrow? Can you eat cheaply where you are?
#267 of 837 Old 07-05-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyApple View Post
I hate it when I do that! I spend all day hungry for whats waiting for me at home -- will it still be good for tomorrow? Can you eat cheaply where you are?

I left it in the fridge, so I can bring it tomorrow. I need to go to the bank, so I might stop and get a sandwich- no sides/

Maggie, wife and mom to three
#268 of 837 Old 07-05-2007, 12:21 PM

Previous days:

Quote:
7/1- nada woohoo!
7/2- a 94cents bottle of seltzer. My (pre-paid) gym was out of water!

tomorrow I am on the phone w/ the CC companies trying to either get them to settle for a lump sum or lower/eliminate our interest rate. Wish me luck!
7/3: $10 candy to throw in the parade (not budgeted)
7/4: groceries (budgeted!)
7/5: $75.00 cleaning lady. I forgot to cancel the service!!

NONE of the credit card companies would negotiate. NONE! Grrrrrrrr Now I am researching 0% interest rate offers. Anyone know of a good one?? :

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#269 of 837 Old 07-05-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear View Post

Valerie, I used to make bread all the time, but my mom got us a breadmaker for Christmas ('05), and now we make our breakfast bread (whole grain with raisin) in it *all* the time.
Please share recipie- I'm searching for a good breadmaker rasin bread recipie!
#270 of 837 Old 07-05-2007, 01:11 PM

July 1: $40 on groceries ($60 remaining in weekly budget)
July 2:
July 3: $60 groceries, $70 household (still need cat food)
July 4: : $36 unplanned grocery trip (for a BBQ) and some food out

My mom called me yesterday as we were getting ready to head over to her place for an BBQ and asked me to pick up a bunch of stuff she forgot. So I spent unbudgeted $ which really annoyed me. Then because my mom changed the BBQ time from 1pm to 5pm at the last minute, we ended up eating out for lunch. I had nothing out at home and it was 90 degrees out. Not frugal at all but I'm just going to jump back on the wagon today

ETA: I've decided not to buy a drying rack at all right now. I want to save up and buy the huge wooden one at a later time. I'm just going to partially hang our clothes right now.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page