Anyone want to do a "No Eating Out" July? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 120 Old 06-28-2007, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not up for a no spend challenge, though I am trying to stick to budget, but one of our major money eaters is eating out. (Well, not super major, but we will might eat in a restaurant 1-2 times a month and get take out another 4-6 times - it adds up big time especially if we do it alot) Actually we mostly eat in, getting take out when we are too lazy to cook. I know this is something I can do without completely!

Anyone with me? My plan is to not buy food from a restaurant or take-out place for the whole month of July. (If someone else wants to buy me dinner, that's okay!)

I was thinking maybe if we shared our meal plans or helped each other brainstorm on dinner ideas and whatnot it would be easier.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 120 Old 06-28-2007, 04:41 PM

I was going to start a Pantry Challenge thread, but that would probably be redundant, so I'll join here instead. I'd like to cut back our eating out, not stop it entirely, but what I really need to do is use up things in my pantry and freezer. We have too much food stockpiled for three people, and I need to use a lot of it up. It's going to be kind of tricky because my oven is broken, so I'll definitely need to meal plan.
#3 of 120 Old 06-28-2007, 05:34 PM

Count me in! I am going to lunch tomorrow, but after that....

Maggie, wife and mom to three
#4 of 120 Old 06-28-2007, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
We have been eating out way too much since I got pg! Now that I'm out of the first tri and can actually stomach non-fast-food, we need to cut down drastically. I'm in, but my goal is to only eat out once during the month of July (that's how often we used to eat out and what we budget for).

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#5 of 120 Old 06-28-2007, 05:46 PM

Yes! Our spending on take out, mainly Panera and Chipotle, has quadrupled(!) in the past 2 months. We spent about $200 in June vs. our normal $50. We usually eat out every Weds with my dh but I think we'll just pack something. The places we go to are fairly inexpensive but it adds up quick. I can think of better things to spend $200 on.

Thanks for starting this. I wasn't up for a no-spend challenge because we are going to visit relatives in another state this month. I'll even keep eating out to bare minimum there as well. The last visit we ate out maybe once.
#6 of 120 Old 06-28-2007, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

I had another idea that I want to implement. I am going to go through my budget and add up how much we've spent eating out (near as I can tell) since I began tracking last year, and I'm going to post that number where I can see it and update it whenever we do eat out. I think looking at the actual total might be real motivating, especially since I suspect its in the thousands...

#7 of 120 Old 06-28-2007, 05:49 PM

I'm in.

My biggest problem is poor planning during the day. When I go out to run errands with my little ones, I'll usually stop at a drive through on the way home. What I should do is make sandwiches and other snacks they can eat in their seats. Any great ideas?

We also eat out in the evenings when we don't like what's on our menu or I didn't pull the chicken out to thaw in time (or some other equally lame excuse - I could always thaw it in the microwave). I'll probably buy a few frozen pizzas/meals for this. Frozen pizzas are still cheaper than eating out.
My meal plan is nothing special, I just plan meals that sound good then buy the stuff for them, and make them - I usually have the leftovers the next day for lunch but other than that I don't do anything fabulously frugal to share.

Some weeks I eat out as often as 7 or 8 times!!! And it is a big drain on our budget because the purchases add up and it's not something we specifically budget for (our budget is not super regimented, we pay our bills, save the decided upon amount, and the rest is fair game).

So, for the month of July I won't buy food from a restaurant (my birthday is in July, though, so I will accept a lunch/dinner out from DH).
#8 of 120 Old 06-28-2007, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

We plan a budget for holidays like birthdays (including presents) so I feel like if I spend my birthday budget on food rather than a present, then that's okay, but its the 'I don't feel like cooking / there is nothing in the fridge - lets just pick up some subs' problem. We used to go out to eat a lot with my parents, but they've realized they need to cut down on that too, so they haven't suggested we all go out to eat in a while - those meals are really costly - we'll pick up subs and stuff for $20 around the corner, usually will get us dinner and another meal for lunch tomorrow, but going out to eat with my parents will easily cost us $80-90 and if we feel obligated to 'pick up the tab' with the whole family around - $150 or more :P

#9 of 120 Old 06-28-2007, 06:44 PM

I think that I would like to be in too@@
#10 of 120 Old 06-28-2007, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We are leaving for Colorado tomorrow and won't be back til July 8th. After that I am totally in. We MUST. CUT. DOWN. OUR. SPENDING.
#11 of 120 Old 06-28-2007, 08:42 PM

YES YES YES!!!!!

We spend FAR too much on eatting out.

Mom to DD 14 and DS 12
#12 of 120 Old 06-28-2007, 08:52 PM

I am in on this one. It'll be good for me as every Tues after my weight loss group we go out to eat.lol

I am going to take the $ I'd spend on eating out(and on paydays & the Tues nights my kids come with me & I spend even more) & put it into retirement funds.
#13 of 120 Old 06-28-2007, 08:57 PM

I was in until subs were mentioned. That sounds sooooo good.

Candy, Mom to Matthew (5/02) and Ethan (10/07)

Trying for #3 starting 5/13

#14 of 120 Old 06-28-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo View Post
I had another idea that I want to implement. I am going to go through my budget and add up how much we've spent eating out (near as I can tell) since I began tracking last year, and I'm going to post that number where I can see it and update it whenever we do eat out. I think looking at the actual total might be real motivating, especially since I suspect its in the thousands...
Thats a great idea! I'm going to post it on the fridge. Our total for the year so far is:

$569.91!

What a waste of money. I could have bought some really nice groceries with that money.
#15 of 120 Old 06-28-2007, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

I did the math $790.94 so far this year. Ugh.

#16 of 120 Old 06-28-2007, 09:16 PM

Yes, I'm in. We're going out on Saturday to celebrate my grandmother-in-law's birthday, but I guess since that's June 30, it doesn't count .

The toughest challenge for us will be to not eat out while we are on the road. We usually stick to the $1 menu at Wendy's when we do that, but having fruit and such in the car would be more nutritious, anyway.

We also go to the grocery store here that hosts live music and has a playground beside the patio to "eat out". I try to limit our spending there to $15. We usually get two meals out of what we buy there. So, it's kind of like eating out. I'll challenge that part of our budget to be $10/outing instead.
#17 of 120 Old 06-28-2007, 10:50 PM

I am so in on this challenge. I posted that it's my biggest problem with staying within my budget every month. I don't want to go look at how much I've spent this past year so far.. but I think I might just do that to see what I come up with from the debit cards, I know I won't be able to account for what I've spent cash on, but I'll get some type of idea.
#18 of 120 Old 06-29-2007, 01:59 AM
mtm

I need in too. We're bad for the too hot to cook/lets do take out in the summer. I need no oven ideas.
#19 of 120 Old 06-29-2007, 02:10 AM

Oh my goodness...just ran our dining out expenses ytd, and we have spent $936.30 - halfway through the year + we have burned through almost the entire annual dining out budget! It gets worse, as this does likely not include many meals for which we paid cash.

Apparently, I really need this thread. I will be stopping in for inspiration + willpower (we just moved to "town", where the lovely pizza man actually comes right to your door; also, ice cream window is a 3 minute walk), in addition to the July no-spend thread.

Good luck all!

Kim
#20 of 120 Old 06-29-2007, 02:23 AM

TOtally in!! Its those little stops that add up. A Sub here, whole foods there

Mcdonalds Iced Coffee.....THATS my addiction lately.

Hmm, I'll go for toning it down. Not sure I can do NO eating out just yet : :

Chandi

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#21 of 120 Old 06-29-2007, 03:21 AM
Banned

What if we get fast food for free? Because I get free Taco Bell. Do I have to give that up?

If not, I'm in! I spend way too much money eating out.
#22 of 120 Old 06-29-2007, 05:42 AM

Our family really does need to do a "no eating out". It feels like all we do is eat out lately, and it's killing our budget.

So we are going to be 100% no eating out (unless it is a mystery shop, since I have several scheduled for July already, and I'll be reimbursed for them anyway).

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#23 of 120 Old 06-29-2007, 01:45 PM

I'm in. SO, what are y'all doing for alternatives?

We've been doing homeade pizza friday nights. The kids actually prefer it to takeout. And i'm happy because I get to make whole wheat dough and cover the pizza with tons of sauce and fresh veggies. Plus I make homeade breadsticks...just put the leftover dough (I make double batches) in a greased cake pan, cut into breadstick size pieces. Then drizzle with melted butter/margarine and sprinkle with Salad Supreme. Bake til golden and then after you pull it out of the oven, sprinkle with parmesan cheese. YUM.

For the ice cream, a gallon bucket is so much cheaper. I buy those mini kid cones and toppings. Then my kids each get a bowl with whatever they want on it and a couple small cones, they use their spoon to make their own mini-cones.

I'd love to hear what everyone else is doing for those "fun" meals.
#24 of 120 Old 06-29-2007, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
As I type this, I already know that we won't stick to it. My DH is just *such* a bad influence when it comes to this.

You know what? I think we'll limit ours to one take-out and one dine-out a week. That sounds like a lot, but trust me, it's not for us.

I'm going to have to get frozen pizzas and such so that we won't be tempted to run to Sonic or whatever.
#25 of 120 Old 06-29-2007, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sweeties1Angel View Post
What if we get fast food for free? Because I get free Taco Bell. Do I have to give that up?
It's just about spending money on take out or eating out - free eating out I'm all for! Well, I'm not a big fan of taco bell, but...

Our typical 'feeling too lazy / tired / late to make dinner' meal is usually either pancakes or omlets.

#26 of 120 Old 06-29-2007, 02:05 PM

My DP and I just bought a new car, we outgrew our old one and we realize we need to compensate by cutting out unnecessary expenses. Our biggest one for sure is dining out!

Typically we go out to eat about 1-3x a week and do carryout 1-2x a week. In the past month, 7% of our income went to eating out, way way too much!

We're starting slow - we're doing a 2 week challenge. We've stocked the car with snacks, we eat before we leave the house to go out, and we veto one another if one of us asks to just stop by Chipotle!

Good luck everyone
#27 of 120 Old 06-29-2007, 03:04 PM

I was tempted to create a new username for this challenge...

June's eating out total (up to the 27th): $733.15
Jan - June: $2720.70

:

June was our worst month so far this year, but still, if you average the first half of this year it's about $450 a month We need to make some serious reductions.

I'm in... obviously.

I'll post later about what I think (part of) my problem might be...
#28 of 120 Old 06-29-2007, 04:00 PM

I will join for the fun, but its not much of a challenge because we dont eat out much! BUT, since we started our remodeling project, we have done a ton of take out so when I get my new kitchen next week, I can post ideas for you ladies. Maybe get that outdoor grill going....

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#29 of 120 Old 06-29-2007, 05:28 PM

anthasam. I'll have to have my DH add it up in his Excel file, but I'd guess we're around $1500 for the year. It may be higher than that if you consider food eaten out on vacations. I love eating out almost as much as I love cooking. Ok, I just love food. But I have a very weak spot for restaurant food that I can't cook nearly as well at home, like ethnic food.
#30 of 120 Old 06-29-2007, 05:40 PM

It's not July yet, but it's payday which means I eat out with whatever kids are with me for dinner.

Today we didn't. I figure why wait 2 days when I can start today, right.

I would have spent $24 for us to eat, instead I bought one of those rotisserie chickens & we had sandwiches at home.

I am taking the girls to DQ tomorrow or the next day, but I have 3 coupons so they will get their thing for free. I am going to remind myself how dairy & I don't get along real well.

Tues nights, my plan is to go with the ladies from my meeting but not order anything. of course there's an extra Tues in July this year.lol

I figure if I don't eat out I'll save $131 this month(3 paydays, 4 tues nights by myself & 1 with the girls)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page