Coupon train - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 115 Old 07-11-2007, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone want to do a coupon train?

I have a small pile of coupons that I won't use and I'd like to share.

List of participants
Group 1
janerose
cappuccinosmom
arahzel
dinade
Danielle283
SeekingJoy

Group 2
JenLove
jlazx2
Cuau
Mavis
SusanInItaly

Group 3
wonderwahine
Kleine Hexe
Nolimum
Pfeiff99
Jennaugustson

Please PM the person ahead of you your mailing adress. You can post coupons you may be interested in.
#2 of 115 Old 07-11-2007, 07:28 PM

I'm interested if more people are in!

Blessings,
Holly
#3 of 115 Old 07-11-2007, 08:40 PM

I'd be interested if I had a clue how it works.

One question, is it OK to post an ISO for coupons in TP? I have something very specific I need a coupon for, but don't have.
#4 of 115 Old 07-11-2007, 09:10 PM

I'm down with a coupon train.
#5 of 115 Old 07-12-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom View Post
I'd be interested if I had a clue how it works.

One question, is it OK to post an ISO for coupons in TP? I have something very specific I need a coupon for, but don't have.
i personally dont see why not. what is the difference between wanting a size medium green and purple polka dotted shirt and a specific coupon? its not like you're asking to buy crack from someone, kwim?

btw, what coupon is it? i have TONS (literally about 10 wipes boxes full). i save them to send to a friend in the military who can use them for 6 months after they expire at the commissary.

in a coupon train, there's an envelope of coupons that gets sent around to the group. i'd take the coupons that i want out, then put in the ones i'm not using, remove any expired ones, then send the envelope to the next person on the coupon train, who would do the same thing, pass it along, etc.
#6 of 115 Old 07-12-2007, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Shall I go ahead and start it?

How do we exchange adresses? We don't all need everyone's address. So how about I make a list of people who want to participate in post #1. Then the first person will send to the second and so on down the list. The person receiving from the person in front of them can PM or email that person their mailing address. For example if I was first and janerose was next she would PM me her mailing address and cappuccinosmom would PM janerose, etc.

Does that sound like the least complicated way?

Most of the coupons Ihave expire toward the end of August fo I'd like to get it going. It'd be great if more people joined.
#7 of 115 Old 07-12-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post

How do we exchange adresses? We don't all need everyone's address. So how about I make a list of people who want to participate in post #1. Then the first person will send to the second and so on down the list. The person receiving from the person in front of them can PM or email that person their mailing address. For example if I was first and janerose was next she would PM me her mailing address and cappuccinosmom would PM janerose, etc.

Most of the coupons Ihave expire toward the end of August fo I'd like to get it going. It'd be great if more people joined.

This sounds great.

I'm not really ISO anything at the moment, but do have a great coupon tip. If you like Amy's Kitchen products just google for the company & submit a comment on their website. They send TONS of great coupons. I got two large envelopes of them in the past 6 months (at least 10 coupons in each). Each envelope had 2 coupons for a free item. It's been a couple months & I'm still using them up. I've been using "$1 off any product" on the organic Amy's soups that Walmart has started carrying. It's only .89 cents a can after the coupon!
#8 of 115 Old 07-12-2007, 10:19 PM

Can I join this train? I have tons of q's!

notes2.gifDina sahm to geek.gif, bikenew.gif, and joy.gif. I'm always computergeek2.gif, dishes.gif andhang.gif.
#9 of 115 Old 07-12-2007, 10:28 PM

I'd like to join! I've been in a few coupons trains and its fun! If there end up being a lot of people that want to do it, there could always be a few trains going at once. That way it doesnt take as long for it to go around. All the trains I've been in though usually end up with a ton of pissed off people because someone will keep the envelope for weeks and keep giving reasons why they havent sent it out yet. Hopefully nobody here would do that though.

Mama to a 6 year old diva, and new little man July 2011.

#10 of 115 Old 07-12-2007, 11:10 PM

I'd love to join as well!
#11 of 115 Old 07-12-2007, 11:23 PM

I'd like to join too!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#12 of 115 Old 07-13-2007, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmysticprincessx View Post
i personally dont see why not. what is the difference between wanting a size medium green and purple polka dotted shirt and a specific coupon? its not like you're asking to buy crack from someone, kwim?

btw, what coupon is it? i have TONS (literally about 10 wipes boxes full). i save them to send to a friend in the military who can use them for 6 months after they expire at the commissary.

in a coupon train, there's an envelope of coupons that gets sent around to the group. i'd take the coupons that i want out, then put in the ones i'm not using, remove any expired ones, then send the envelope to the next person on the coupon train, who would do the same thing, pass it along, etc.
*WAVES HAND* I'm in!

I started one of these on one of my msg boards and it worked as above.

The key was to have people who mailed when they promised to and actually send thier coupons/rotate the mailing list to "hit" the exp. dates for the next person on the list and what they could use. All 6 months or less exprired went overseas.

If someone works it, please count me in. I saved enough in two month to buy a deep freezer which has been a HUGE savings in and of itself.

Ciao!

J
#13 of 115 Old 07-13-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post

I think that sounds like a good idea. Then we only exchange addresses with the people we need to. Are you willing to go ahead and lead us up? Let's get this coupon train going.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#14 of 115 Old 07-13-2007, 11:11 AM

Should we post wish lists for the whole group or just the person before us? I'm new to q trains. Can't wait to get ours going though.

notes2.gifDina sahm to geek.gif, bikenew.gif, and joy.gif. I'm always computergeek2.gif, dishes.gif andhang.gif.
#15 of 115 Old 07-13-2007, 12:02 PM

I actually started one last year, and it got derailed in the middle and never went to the others or back to me ( I started it). Nobody was checkign in that they received etc. So I dont know who didnt sent it to the next person. I would love to join again, but there needs to be more check ins and honesty.
#16 of 115 Old 07-13-2007, 02:12 PM

I want in, I trust the mamas in here.
#17 of 115 Old 07-13-2007, 02:32 PM

I agree! Let's establish rules beforehand. Will it be one envelope going around, or will we each send out an envelope and pass the next along?

Also, should we stick to certain kinds of coupons? I would assume most people here might not be interested in cleaning coupons, so maybe we can make a list of items that work well. Some people probably aren't interested in baby items, and some probably will be.
#18 of 115 Old 07-13-2007, 03:12 PM

OK, I definately want to be in.

Quote:
Got any Ragu sauce coupons?

I need to get mine organized now! I think that'll be the hardest part for me.
I know I have a couple of good ones that I can pass along.
#19 of 115 Old 07-13-2007, 03:16 PM

I would like to join in as well.

winner.jpg  homeschool.gif familybed1.gif    happily married mom to one son jammin.gif and one daughterbiggrinbounce.gif!
#20 of 115 Old 07-13-2007, 04:48 PM

I should join. I have been collecting coupons (clipping them LOL) and now have more razor coupons than I need.

What about stuff like shampoo,etc? I know lots of mamas don't use regular shampoos but some might or their DH might?

I also do Bzzagent so I get lots of extra coupons on the things they send me.
#21 of 115 Old 07-13-2007, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I can start us up. Although this cold is kicking my butt.:

I am assuming that everyone here will be honest and send the envelope on time. If we would like some rules....how about a time frame in which the person should send off the envelope to the next person? What's a reasonable time frame? 2 days? I don't want each person to hang on it long because the coupons I have expire in August. Each person can then post when they have mailed it.

You can post a list of coupons you're searching for but you may not actually get them. It'll just be a guideline to help people know what you use. You may also want to try new products.

If I'm home in time tomorrow (I'm at my mom's right now) I can get the envelope out tomorrow. I'll edit post #1 with the list of names.

Anything else? What do you think about passing it on in 2 days? I mean we all know it's coming so we should have our coupons ready to go and it can't take that long to go through and pick out what we want. Please be sure to be ready when you know it'll be your turn. Like have stamps available.

How about one envelope? At least for now.
#22 of 115 Old 07-13-2007, 07:16 PM

How many coupons in each starter envelope, and how many should we take from the envelopes we get?

Maybe 10 coupons to start, and each person takes three from an envelope, and then puts in three of their own?
#23 of 115 Old 07-13-2007, 08:21 PM

Sounds great! Should I PM my person my address now or wait, if I'm down the list?

Will anyone be upset if I put mainstream brands in there (like Coppertone sunscreen, or pantene shampoo) or just keep it healthy/organic? I have lots of those Crest whitening strips coupons but don't use it, stuff like that?
#24 of 115 Old 07-13-2007, 08:58 PM

I would love pantene q's! LOL It smells so good. I say whatever your not going to use you never know what someone else might. How many times do you really see a q for burts bees. LOL

#25 of 115 Old 07-13-2007, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, 10 coupons and each person takes 3.

janerose, if you PM me your address I can get this out tomorrow morning.
#26 of 115 Old 07-13-2007, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanInItaly View Post
Sounds great! Should I PM my person my address now or wait, if I'm down the list?

Will anyone be upset if I put mainstream brands in there (like Coppertone sunscreen, or pantene shampoo) or just keep it healthy/organic? I have lots of those Crest whitening strips coupons but don't use it, stuff like that?
I think mainstream stuff is also fine. My DH uses Pantene for example. He also eats the Oscar M "natural" sandwich meat. It does not have nitrates and such. Egg Beaters and so forth.

Just put in what ya got and we'll see how it goes.
#27 of 115 Old 07-13-2007, 10:36 PM

So wait, theres only going to be 10 coupons in it the whole time and you can only take out and replace 3? What if I have a lot more then that to put in there? I know one of the ones I was in, you just took whatever you needed and filled it back up with as many as you had.

Oh and mainstream stuff is fine with me too. I'm sending some of the worst stuff you can imagine to my DH in Iraq right now. : Those Marines love junk food.

Mama to a 6 year old diva, and new little man July 2011.

#28 of 115 Old 07-14-2007, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle283 View Post
So wait, theres only going to be 10 coupons in it the whole time and you can only take out and replace 3? What if I have a lot more then that to put in there? I know one of the ones I was in, you just took whatever you needed and filled it back up with as many as you had.

Oh and mainstream stuff is fine with me too. I'm sending some of the worst stuff you can imagine to my DH in Iraq right now. : Those Marines love junk food.

I agree with the just take what you need & put in at least as many as you took (but more is fine too if you have more you want to get rid of). That's how the ones I've been in the past worked anyway....

Oh, and ITA about those Marines & junk food. My brother is a Marine stationed in Japan right now & he doesn't even tell people he got a package from home. Last time they ate all the rice crispie treats I sent -- he didn't even get one!
#29 of 115 Old 07-14-2007, 12:22 AM

Sounds great then!!
#30 of 115 Old 07-14-2007, 09:41 AM

Sounds good to me, too! Every train I've done has been different.

When should we start our first mailing? Is Monday a good time to start?

I already PMd my address. I hope I get my PM soon!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page