August No-Spend Challenge -- Congratulations no-spenders!!!! You made it to the end! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 1106 Old 08-05-2007, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
August 1 Paid rent and saved for oil bill
August 2 Got PayPal interest
August 3
August 4
August 5 But felt weird b/c my mother brought me coffee! It was almost like I had to remind myself she gave it to me and that I didn't *buy it!*
#302 of 1106 Old 08-05-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofprincesses View Post
Aug 5th - First no-spend day this month! (We only went to church and came home, so it was pretty difficult to spend money!)
That's cool! But some churches have ATMs now, so watch out for that! )
#303 of 1106 Old 08-05-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlivnmom View Post
Aug 4- $20 haircut ds and $8 on icecream for him and milkshake for me I also have to order book for bookclub tonight. I'll post how much later.
Can't find the book at the library, or borrow it from someone who's not in the club, or has 2 copies, or has already read it? (I hate buying books, so I tend to think about these things... )
#304 of 1106 Old 08-05-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijip View Post
Aug 1-
Aug 2- $34 for lunch for 4, expected expense (all day at hospital with mother for her cancer treatments)
Aug 3-
Aug 4-

Necessary spending so far:

-Mortgage payment
-Utility Bill
-Car insurance ($30, we just moved to a higher priced zip code, that plus what we paid in May pays us through November)
-Gas for car, $45
-Groceries: $75 at Cash and Carry for A LOT of food for the 8+ we are feeding right now. $35 at co-op.

We also received $130 in rebate checks from our appliance deliveries. That is going right into the mutual fund like we never, ever saw it.
Sorry to hear about your mother! to all of you!

Coo thing about the rebates though, and buying all that food, oh and paying car ins. in advance.
#305 of 1106 Old 08-05-2007, 03:30 PM

Hey Kim! You're doing well! Keep up the great work!
#306 of 1106 Old 08-05-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post
I spent a bundle on a wonderbra and some sexy, low-cut (down to THERE) blouses today.

My signature explains why these were a necessary purchase...
! My DH would be happy if I even *thought* about that! Crossing my fingers for you...
#307 of 1106 Old 08-05-2007, 03:58 PM

5th -$8 breakfast tacos on way to zoo $11 lunch on way home - not no spend but planned dinner free tonight as we are eating at friends.

Kate, BioMama to Emma Lu, Elliana - Almost Mama to Martin, & Foster Mama to Baby T
#308 of 1106 Old 08-05-2007, 04:00 PM

ruthie girl, have you looked into walgreens to see if they can refil your printers cartridge?? we get ours done for $10
#309 of 1106 Old 08-05-2007, 04:08 PM

Beachlivinmom I'll send you my copy.
#310 of 1106 Old 08-05-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post
August 4.. $134 on va-va-voom clothes

I spent a bundle on a wonderbra and some sexy, low-cut (down to THERE) blouses today.

My signature explains why these were a necessary purchase...

hehe, a few bucks on some cheap liquor woulda done the same thing j/k (my dh says we can't afford any kids, and we really don't have room in our current home either, though my heart can't understand that. every time i see a baby, i get that twinge, iykwim.)

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#311 of 1106 Old 08-05-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom

My signature explains why these were a necessary purchase
You'd better keep the stuff this time!!! Didn't you get some hot mama jeans last month or June and take them back?? You've earned some hot mama clothes so you'd better keep these! Every mama needs something that makes her feel vavooom and less mommy sometimes! Good luck on the TTC!!
#312 of 1106 Old 08-05-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole! View Post
Our charger for our rechargeable batteries just died. It made this soft, funny sound and then it didn't work. Any ideas to resurrect it before we have to go buy a new one? We do have some regular batteries, but the fact is that we really prefer rechargeables and while we could hold off until September to buy a new charger, it doesn't really matter as it's a necessity for us. Darn, those things are kind of expensive too. :
i'd go ahead and get it now if you have the $ available, since regular batteries cost so much more in the long-run. sorry i don't have any ideas to resussitate(sp) the one you have already. how old is it? any chance that maybe you just need to plug it into a differnet outlet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post
August 1 --
August 2 --
August 3 -- (10.31 for groceries)
August 4 --
August 5 -- ($28.65 for groceries) ($55 printer cartridge : )

The groceries were in the budget, but the printer cartridge was not and I am irked about it. I can't believe how much it cost! $55 for a printer cartridge is outrageous! The whole printer was less than $100.

Anyway, it was very much needed for homeschooling. Also, my BIL is coming over today and we are going to help him with his back taxes. We had no way of printing out the forms he needs without the cartridge.

There must be a cheaper source of printer ink. Off to google...
you can buy kits to do it yourself. comes with ink, a syringe etc. my dh fills ours up. MUCH less pricey than buying newones. works for *most* cartridges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskennedy View Post
That's cool! But some churches have ATMs now, so watch out for that! )
hehe, thankfully ours is pretty small, so i don't see that happening there for a looong time.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#313 of 1106 Old 08-05-2007, 05:25 PM

so i am working on a system using color coding to help me track all our spending this month, not just unnecessaries. using the numbers from this month, i figure will be a good jumping off point to throw a "budget" together.

aug 1
aug 2
aug 3- 904.84 paycheck gotta love overtime 220 lot rent, 230 payback last loan for payday check cash advance. 237 partial car insurance payment, 43.66 for groceries and school supplies. 4.00 for a rx for dh's headaches.
aug 4. ugh- fell off the wagon and got backed over by it, :embarrassed we had sonic fast-food for breakfast so we could make it to church on time ( i coulnd't fall asleep last night, and had trouble getting up this am to make breakfast) than after church i got ds 2 workbooks(tax free), we needed cleaner for an "oops" (dd wet the bed this am for some reason), and a spray bottle. grand total was 38.52, 28.52 which was unplanned.

regular expense
variable expense
unplanned expense

amount left until next paypay or next expense- 142.66 dh gets paid from his pt job tomorrow(he gets paid weekly there), and the electric bill is due by the 7th, so hopefully the amount we have left plus the amount he gets on monday will cover the amount needed to pay elec.bill. next paycheck for ems is the 17th. if not, i'll be looking for change in the cushions....

#314 of 1106 Old 08-05-2007, 05:38 PM

Have to think...
Aug 1 (Wed) ?
Aug 2 ( thurs) chick caeser wrap, cookie, candy, 3 yogurt cups
Aug 3 (fri) Michael's 3?.?? (knitting kit, pirate project, mermaid, 4 angels, markers, plastic cord, gift tags, 5 candy bars) 3 cookies, chips, candy, chex mix
Aug 4 (sat) 25-30 towards birthday/wedding gifts
Aug 5 (sun) Cub Foods 26.56 (chai, cappucino, dog food)
Aug 6 (mon)
Aug 7 (tues)

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#315 of 1106 Old 08-05-2007, 06:16 PM

I'm Em, empty nester mother of five.

I need to save money because it's always tight & my car is out of commission on top of everything else.

I am going to try to up my book sales to help with finances. Ebay has been dead for books for the past two months but I hope with school starting in a few weeks in many areas that will improve, ditto Amazon.

August 1: No car, no phone & no DSL. Walked to the library to return books & use computer. Later that day check came so spent $2 bus fare to get to the credit union to deposit it & home again. Stopped at convenience store walking from the stop where I got off & bought a drink, spent $2.00.

August 2: No car still, no phone/DSL. Walked to library for internet access, home again, no spending.

August 3: Phone/DSL finally fixed, stayed home & did laundry & scanned in book covers for this week's auctions.

August 4: DH & I went out in the evening to an event by local merchants called White Linen Night. Lots of stores with open houses, food, drinks, music, & entertainment. Nice night out, no spending.

Augusts 5: In-laws called on spur of the moment to ask us to lunch for belated birthday celebration for DH. Afterwards sold 3 boxes of dud books at Half Price Books for $25.50, bought others for resale for $17, made $8. One of the ones found prices out on Amazon at $90 so let's hope it sells & quickly.

I didn't have to make a formal plan since clearly being stuck with no car will go a long way to keeping me from spending this month. Am also going to be diligent about eating up leftovers & having no food wasted.

Oceanbaby, one thing I did was call the 1-800 number & get taken off the list to get catalogues in the mail which helps cut down on temptation.
#316 of 1106 Old 08-05-2007, 06:32 PM

Mrs kennedy- I tried the library but there is only 1 copy for all the Hawaiian islands and I am 5th on the list so by the time I got the book it would be time for a different book.

Brooktosea- I looked online at the website you suggested but to ship here was $6.99 which is more then the book cost. Thank you for lending me yours when you are finished.
#317 of 1106 Old 08-05-2007, 06:57 PM

August 1: ! Only spent on gas and groceries.
August 2: ! Didn't even go to the farmer'e market like I'd planned
August 3: $20 at garage sales today. All okay spending except for 50 cents for a Sprite . Also $57 on Shaklee stuff last night. DH and I need some supplements, we are both dragging horribly.
August 4: $31 at coop, $21 was on chicken, other $10 wasn't necessary (well, I may be able to claim the mothering mag was necessary here )
August 5: !

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#318 of 1106 Old 08-05-2007, 07:58 PM

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.
Hi, I'm Jessica. Family is DH Peter, DS Stevie, DD Gracie. I am currently a SAHM mom, with a plan to turn into a WAHM soon.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of August. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.
We made a BAD real estate move a while back - bought our first home in Dec '05 assuming two incomes - and can't get out of it without taking a lsignificant oss. Even though our home is modest, we are in over our heads. Our mortgage eats up over 60% of our monthly income. Add in $5000 debt on needed home improvements over the last year, school loans, car repair, visits to the west coast to care for family members, etc. and we are living on thin ice. This is not sustainable, which is more evident than ever now that our savings is down to $100. I quit my part-time job about 6 months ago, because childcare was eating up most of the income anyway and took some time off to kick extended ppd's a$$. I am now ready to ramp up and roll out my WAH gig, but it will take some time before it gives us the boost we need. In the meantime it makes sense to curb our spending.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?
When possible make stuff rather than buying stuff (Today we made wipes rather than running out to Costco - after we balanced our checkbook, but before I found this thread.)
We just inherited a CSA share from a friend who moved, so for the duration I will stay away from farmers market purchases.
Eat rice & beans & tomatoes. Lots of it.
Plan meals based on contents of our freezer and cupboard.
Maybe only walk to the store to ensure buying no more than my back and the bottom of G's stroller can handle.
No traveling, except for maybe a local camping trip.
No buying clothes or diapers for any of us.
Try putting S in a cloth diaper instead of a pull-up at night.
No fast food drive thru fixes while we are out and about - pack better or go home.
Hang dry more.
Renew my commitment to minimize AC use.
No $ on home organization or improvement, unless truly a NEED rather than a want. Stay away from places like Ikea & Target.
I intended to splurge on a few (modest) evenings out, but now I think ordering water instead of wine is not enough. Maybe I should cancel or limit to one. Or only go if less than $10 cost.
Encourage DH to follow this thread too - post this list where we can both see it.

BIGGEST STEP:
Avoid driving more than a few miles for playgroups, events & adventures. Try to get into a daily rhythm of going to the gym (already paid for) and the park (free) to meet our (me& kiddos) need to get out of the house and socialize - drive for this to avoid temptation to stop at stores while walking.
INITIAL EXCEPTION - 1 special adventure allowed per week to stay connected, keep sane etc., however I am hoping once I get into the gym/ park routine we won't want/need this as much, and that we just invite folks to join us.

PROGRESS ALREADY
Before I found this thread:
8/1 - approx $20 spent at Ikea, $12 at McDonalds, $40 on gas (road trip home from vacation)
8/2 - $100 spent on goodbye dinner out with visiting BIL
8/3 - $24 parking two cars at museum, plus gas and $3 toll
8/4 - over $50 spent on bead supplies from 3 stores. I have gathered receipts and will return what I can tomorrow. $20 or so spent at Safeway - just essentials. $5 on gelato (1 for whole family to share) at "free" town concert.
When I look at the non-essentials on this list I realize I am not as frugal as I should be.

Starting fresh today:
8/5 - nothing spent, no gas used - yeah!
8/6 - put about 10 miles on the car, but no spending. Lots of returns ($26 in superfluous craft supplies + $14 in unnecessary liquor) AND deposited $182 from BIL for vacation so we are moving in the right direction today. Plus scored some cool stuff on freecycle.

Will edit to add future progress... thanks for the idea to help each other!

mom to a 7 year old lego fanatic and a 5 year old cross dresser
#319 of 1106 Old 08-05-2007, 07:58 PM

1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th Had company over but cooked lunch from the fridge and it turned out yummy. Then hit the beach later for some play time.
#320 of 1106 Old 08-05-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccalizzie View Post
I'm going to make some super strong coffee and keep it in the fridge again. In order to make iced and blended coffee drinks that actually taste like Starbucks, you make the coffee double strength (so 2 tablespoons coffee per cup). Then I keep the concentrate in the fridge. I'm better about not hitting Bux if I can handle my cravings on my own.
Good idea. We started freezing ours with milk and honey added. Its like a coffee Italian ice. Very refreshing, generally not safe to eat while driving though and the kids are always jealous... so your idea of concentrate in the fridge is a good alternative!

mom to a 7 year old lego fanatic and a 5 year old cross dresser
#321 of 1106 Old 08-05-2007, 08:32 PM

ok-we fell off the no-spend wagon today!!!
don't know how much dh spent at the home depot, but it was for our house renovation, so its budgeted..
gas-$29.00
coffee shop-$12.00
~but it was a tax-free shopping weekend, and i didn't even hit the outlets, that counts for something, right??!!
#322 of 1106 Old 08-05-2007, 08:41 PM

August 1 NO SPEND DAY! (Ok, so I didn't spend, my mom did and bought myself and DD some "gifts" that were badly needed!)
August 2 NO SPEND TODAY!
August 3 $20.00 on a pretty new dress for August wedding!
August 4 $50.00 eating out...while house shopping WILL WE EVER FIND A GOOD HOUSE?
August 5

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#323 of 1106 Old 08-05-2007, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

August 1..
August 2.. $31.80
August 3..
August 4.. $134
August 5..

My goals:
1. No diaper shopping 5/31 days
2. No McDonalds 5/31 days
3. Beat June's no-spend days 3/19 days

#324 of 1106 Old 08-05-2007, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

MamaLotus -- You WILL find the house you want...I know it is out there waiting for you.

#325 of 1106 Old 08-05-2007, 09:40 PM

Aug 5: Spent $50.00 on two pair of pants for dh. But I sold $10 worth of clothes on craigslist.
#326 of 1106 Old 08-05-2007, 09:44 PM

August 5-

I am planning some purchases for this week. We'll have to get a new recharger for our batteries (it really is dead ) and I need to put some minutes on a pre-paid cell phone I use for work, now that school is starting up again. This weekend was tax-free school shopping and I resisted going to the stores! There is nothing we really need and we're trying to declutter in preparation for our upcoming move next year.

I still want Chicobags though, but I searched online today and found a WAHM business that sells them and she was very reasonable! If I don't join any swaps this month, I think I'm going to go ahead and buy a reasonable amount.

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#327 of 1106 Old 08-05-2007, 10:57 PM

8-1 $0.00
8-2 $0.00
8-3 $925.00 rent
8-4 $210 verizon (thanks to crazy mother in law who is on our plan)
$109 phone/cable/dls
$88 on credit card that is now paid off! Yeah
$40.00 at Target on toothpaste, t.p., ect
$10.00 Starbucks, This was my downfall today:
8-5 $127.00 at the grociery store but stocked up on meat all antibotic and cage free not bad if I do say so my self, thank goodness for the comissary.

Wow I hate bills! The 1-15 is always the hardest especialy when dh doesn't keep track of his spending. GRRR... Oh well
#328 of 1106 Old 08-05-2007, 10:58 PM

oops double post
#329 of 1106 Old 08-05-2007, 11:23 PM

Aug 5th-

Good for you Jenn for not hitting the outlets! I know they're hard to resist!
#330 of 1106 Old 08-05-2007, 11:40 PM

Aug 1:
Aug 2: $1.40 on bagel @ work, $5 @ Baskin Robbins, ice cream for kids & me
Aug 3: so not good, $3.10 b'fast @ work, $4.00 lunch, $10 at thrift store for shirt for B & Capri's for me, $4.01 @ DQ.
Aug 4:
Aug 5: ... bought lunch to take to park but that is budgeted for... went grocery shopping, also budgeted.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page