August No-Spend Challenge -- Congratulations no-spenders!!!! You made it to the end! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 1106 Old 08-06-2007, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sidenote: Does anyone ever feel a little "depressed" doing no spending? I don't like it when I over spend but no spending is VERY HARD. Having a rough day ...

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09
#362 of 1106 Old 08-06-2007, 06:53 PM

$1 for a whole bag of clothes? If you children will be needing clothing (and don't they always lol?) I'd do this, it would save you so much in the long run, unless you are getting free hand me downs already and anticipate more.
#363 of 1106 Old 08-06-2007, 06:54 PM

Ladies you're all doing so well!

WOW!! A double stroller for just $25!!How great a deal is that!?

I've been doing great so far!

Today I did spend $19 on a weekly bus pass. That's totally ok though b/c if I don't buy it then I can't get to work and earn money!

I also "spent" $45 on an old phone bill,but that's ok too b/c my goal is to be debt free soon,so I needed to pay that.

I told myself that I was allowed to take and extra $5 today to get a smoothie,but since I didn't get anywhere near the smoothie place I didn't get it. I could of gotten a Starbucks ice cap,but I walked right by!
#364 of 1106 Old 08-06-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityChic View Post
Sidenote: Does anyone ever feel a little "depressed" doing no spending? I don't like it when I over spend but no spending is VERY HARD. Having a rough day ...

Can I admit that? YES it is very hard and is depressing!!! There are little things that make me happy, like a big Coke from Mcd's and some warm salty fries, or some chocolate, or a new book, or ...: This is really helping me hold on to my money though and I just keep telling myself to keep my eye on the prize!! Saving!!
#365 of 1106 Old 08-06-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotsupernanny View Post
I told myself that I was allowed to take and extra $5 today to get a smoothie,but since I didn't get anywhere near the smoothie place I didn't get it. I could of gotten a Starbucks ice cap,but I walked right by!
You are my HERO ... walking past a Starbucks gives me heart pangs!

#366 of 1106 Old 08-06-2007, 07:04 PM

I absoultely need to join this thread. Im so glad I found it!
1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.
My name is Jeanine, I have a 13 month old DD named Violet and my DH's name is Roy.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of August. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.

I am off in the summer (I am a therapist and work in a school) so I have been shopping everyday with Violet. I have been considering it socialization for her. In reality, it is just feeding my addiction, which was passed on from my mom. I am compulsive...and it doesnt help that DH doesnt try to curtail me bc then it gives him an excuse to buy the latest gadget (the IPhone, a new computer, etc.) We also plan to re-do our kitchen, and need to save, save, save.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?

I am going to start by not spending 15/25 days left in August. Groceries are excluded, and necessities, such as gifts and such, do not count. And with the groceries, I am making a budget of $100 a week. I usually spend about $200 at whole foods. Bad, bad, bad!
#367 of 1106 Old 08-06-2007, 07:09 PM

Woo Hoo!! I'm a hero!! I do like Starbucks but I am such a dork when I order stuff! I've only ever really been there a few times myself and I so flustered! Soooo many choices!

For the past few months I've taken the credit card to grocery shop and I do NOT budget at all! I know I'll have enough right? So now NO MORE CC!! Cash only and if all I have is $10 then that's all I can buy that day. NO junk food this month!
#368 of 1106 Old 08-06-2007, 07:19 PM

Still no working car but a sick cat today prompted me to ask a friend to give us a ride to the vet. $251 later we emerged. The amount was almost double what the vet estimated it would be while I was in the treatment room which increases my frustration. So,

August 6 - $251

On the bright side, one of my dds out of town sent me some flea medication for two of the cats so that's two I don't need to buy Advantage for, at least.
#369 of 1106 Old 08-06-2007, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Heck yah! I like to spend money! I like buying myself nice things. I like good food and good wine and eating out and nice clothes and all of the rest of the stuff I want to spend on.

But, I don't actually have all that cash to spend and we need to pay off the home equity loan, buy a minivan and the washing machine is making some evil noises and leaking water. So, I am here struggling to make another rice and bean meal (actually we are having bean and potato soup tonight) and save my cash.

Do you have any fun cash in your budget? I think this can help with the no spend blues. I know I feel better when I plan on spending a few dollars on myself.

I look at it like a diet. I can't live without a little chocolate. So, I have a small square of the good stuff and it keeps me from diving face first into the next cake I see.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#370 of 1106 Old 08-06-2007, 08:22 PM

No,I don't feel deppressed at all about my NO SPENDING Challange!! It feels great! For me not spending means that I will be out of debt and then be able to buy the things I need and want later on. I really want to be a foster mom and and I want to be debt free or close to that when it happens. So when I think about my long term goals then it doesn't make me depressed it makes me so proud that I didn't spend $5 on a smoothie or something that I didn't "need" and put it on a bill instead.
#371 of 1106 Old 08-06-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I would have to say "nope".
#372 of 1106 Old 08-06-2007, 08:42 PM

Aug 1: s
Aug 2: $1.40 on bagel @ work, $5 @ Baskin Robbins, ice cream for kids & me
Aug 3: so not good, $3.10 b'fast @ work, $4.00 lunch, $10 at thrift store for shirt for B & Capri's for me, $4.01 @ DQ.
Aug 4: s
Aug 5: ... bought lunch to take to park but that is budgeted for... went grocery shopping, also budgeted.
Aug 6: s, I did spend .50 on 2 cups of java at work. But it was change from the bottom of my purse so I am giving that a s anyway
#373 of 1106 Old 08-06-2007, 09:07 PM

August 6th:
$61.24 at Costco- (2 non food items pjs and two books for my son $16)
$5 Farmer's Market
$14 Beer
$4 Ice Cream on the Boardwalk

So today was not the greatest no spend day. About $35 in unnecessary purchases.

I feel like I am more conscious of what I am spending though. Next month I'll look back at August and see what strategy would work.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#374 of 1106 Old 08-06-2007, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Does anyone ever feel a little "depressed" doing no spending? I don't like it when I over spend but no spending is VERY HARD
Oh MOST DEFINITELY.

It is sooooo hard for me to no-spend. That is why I need this thread...probably more than anyone...because I don't feel as sorry for myself when I feel like other people are trying to no-spend too.

And I feel ~cheap~ sometimes. Like I am scrambling to save pennies...and is it worth it???

But these threads have helped me so much because they make me ~realize~ that I am wasting money. Before the month would end and I wouldn't know where my money had gone...now I do. I didn't pay attention before.

Also, I have been doing this for three months and in that three months I have spent...oh around $1200 on frivolous spending.

Is that eye-opening or what???

I could use that $1200 to pay off our credit cards, or I could use it to start an RV fund, or I could use it to buy new furniture for the living room.

Instead I spent it at McDonald's and at Starbucks and on my 125th cloth diaper purchase.

So yes, I get depressed when I'm denying myself something little (it is only $5) but not nearly as depressed as when I dream about what I could do with that missing $1200, ya know?

ETA: Just went and added it up. $1239 in frivolous spending since May 1st. Ouch.

#375 of 1106 Old 08-06-2007, 09:48 PM

August 1
August 2
August 3 ($16 Wendy's, $12 on fabric...both in my budget)
August 4 ($12 on fabric, $12.50 on patterns..both in my budget)
August 5 ($10 on ice cream)
August 6 (Actually spent nothing!)

Sewing $ Spent: $36.50/$50
Eating Out $ Spent: $26/$100

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#376 of 1106 Old 08-06-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Some days yes, some days no. I find that the way I am looking at it makes a huge difference. If I am thinking that I can't spend the money and am feeling like I have no money, it is hard and a little depressing. If I am thinking that I am choosing to save the money for something else that I really want, I feel much better about it.

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#377 of 1106 Old 08-06-2007, 09:56 PM

August 1: ! Only spent on gas and groceries.
August 2: ! Didn't even go to the farmer'e market like I'd planned
August 3: $20 at garage sales today. All okay spending except for 50 cents for a Sprite . Also $57 on Shaklee stuff last night. DH and I need some supplements, we are both dragging horribly.
August 4: $31 at coop, $21 was on chicken, other $10 wasn't necessary (well, I may be able to claim the mothering mag was necessary here )
August 5: !
August 6: !

I am eyeing some stuff for my little guy in the TP. He will need clothes for the fall and it is nice stuff, but a little spendy (Gymbo). I was actually searching the TP for the nursing tops I had planned to buy, but it was easier to find baby clothes.

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#378 of 1106 Old 08-06-2007, 09:56 PM

I did not spend today

However I'm eyeing a pair of True religion jeans sooo tell me should I? (don't forget one of my goals is me)
#379 of 1106 Old 08-06-2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadia105 View Post
Some days yes, some days no. I find that the way I am looking at it makes a huge difference. If I am thinking that I can't spend the money and am feeling like I have no money, it is hard and a little depressing. If I am thinking that I am choosing to save the money for something else that I really want, I feel much better about it.

said so well, i'll just say "ditto".

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#380 of 1106 Old 08-06-2007, 10:29 PM

Aug 1 -
Aug 2 -
Aug 3 -
Aug 4 - $25 for double stroller, $3.14 for breakfast at Wendy's, $38.02 for gas
Aug 5 - $26.77 for gas, $6.40 for art supplies and a phone at Staples
Aug 6 -

Total: $99.33
#381 of 1106 Old 08-06-2007, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If I am thinking that I am choosing to save the money for something else that I really want, I feel much better about it.
That. Exactly. I need to memorize Nadia's statement.

#382 of 1106 Old 08-06-2007, 10:49 PM

aug 6th
#383 of 1106 Old 08-06-2007, 10:49 PM

This is a great thread!! you all are so inspirational!!
#384 of 1106 Old 08-06-2007, 11:17 PM

Aug 6: $77 on new shoes for ds and $70 for testing for martial arts. Both we bugeted for.
#385 of 1106 Old 08-06-2007, 11:49 PM

My friend came over after my first posting here today and we went out. Instead of going for dinner we bought some yummy frozen pizza to make at home,he paid! Then we stopped for bubble tea and I put in about $2 for that.

I stopped at the bank and put in $20 and put it on my BIG credit card!!
#386 of 1106 Old 08-06-2007, 11:54 PM

July6- We spent $ at the vending machine. DH called and had to go the the hospital. He broke his fingers really bad actually he almost lost his ring finger and pinky finger. Anyway spent all day 8:30 - 2 at the hospital. I left the house in such a hurry no cash, drinks or snack. So I scraped change out from the car for snacks and we got a late lunch on debit card. It was an emergency and couldn't be helped. At least the boat pays the medical bills. (i hope). So I figure about $20 in food.

He has a dr. appt tommorrow and surgery Wed.
#387 of 1106 Old 08-07-2007, 12:06 AM

Aug 6- I spent $22 at the local organic grocery store.

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#388 of 1106 Old 08-07-2007, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanineTheOT View Post
My name is Jeanine, I have a 13 month old DD named Violet and my DH's name is Roy.
Welcome!!! You will find the ladies here full of support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotsupernanny View Post
Woo Hoo!! I'm a hero!! I do like Starbucks but I am such a dork when I order stuff! I've only ever really been there a few times myself and I so flustered! Soooo many choices!
I wonder if I could make extra $$ by teaching people how to order at Starbucks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post
Heck yah! I like to spend money! I like buying myself nice things. I like good food and good wine and eating out and nice clothes and all of the rest of the stuff I want to spend on.

Do you have any fun cash in your budget? I think this can help with the no spend blues. I know I feel better when I plan on spending a few dollars on myself.
We have just started budgeting "fun" money for DH and I. We are still working out what is a good amount. We did too little this time and DH and I are really feeling stressed about it. It's all a learning process. Next time we will increase our spending fun cash just a little (which is ok because we are about to pay off a loan!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post
Oh MOST DEFINITELY.

It is sooooo hard for me to no-spend. That is why I need this thread...probably more than anyone...because I don't feel as sorry for myself when I feel like other people are trying to no-spend too.
Agreed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadia105 View Post
Great outlook!!!

Thanks ladies for your thoughts and honesty, it really does help!

Aug 1
Aug 2
Aug 3
Aug 4 $10
Aug 5
Aug 6 $1.75 - Drink for me on my way home from work, didn't need it, but did it anyway because I was tired

#389 of 1106 Old 08-07-2007, 12:28 AM

Aug 6-$3.99 on drinks at a gas station. We'd spent 3 hours at the bank and dealership and were all hot and worn out. We avoided going out to eat by snacking on peanuts on the way home and stopping just for drinks. I cooked when I got home even though I was exhausted!!!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#390 of 1106 Old 08-07-2007, 12:28 AM

August 6-We did very well today! DH spent $17 on razors and a pair of fingernail clippers tonight, but both of those are necessities, so no worries.

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page