August No-Spend Challenge -- Congratulations no-spenders!!!! You made it to the end! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1106 Old 08-01-2007, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganW View Post
I have a question first....Um I have access to accounts that I don't have to pay back do I need to include that spending?

Right now I'm contemplating whether I need to purchase a couple more nursing bras and tops. I have one of each. Also if I should buy two sets of new flanges for my pump or just the bigger hard ones? And if I should spend the money on new clothes while I'm struggling to lose weight or just suffer through the next few weeks till it's time to buy fall clothes and see if I've lost anything by then?

I'm sure I'll be back with some sort of shopping confession tomorrow.

I'm 5 weeks pp and I'm not going to buy any clothes until fall, or until I really need something. I just wore my maternity capris and shorts with a belt until I could fit into the things I was wearing last year. I'm also trying to lose a bit more, so when I'm quite a bit smaller than my pre-pregnancy size, then I'll look around for good deals on the things I really need.

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#62 of 1106 Old 08-01-2007, 01:22 AM

Ok mamas...I got DH on board this month too!!!!

We're all set to save some money and find our dream house!

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#63 of 1106 Old 08-01-2007, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

loitering -- Buy the sunglasses. Not worth injuring your eyes to save $10. Think how much that optometrist bill would be if you damage your retinas...

Summer -- Woohoo!! Glad to see you with us again this month and to hear that DH is on board.

Welcome all the new MDCers! This thread is for you...so record what you would like, but today is the day you start.

Let's make our first day of August a stellar money-saving day!

#64 of 1106 Old 08-01-2007, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

August 1..

Ahhh...a clean slate.

My goals:

1. No diaper shopping 0/31 days
2. No McDonalds 0/31 days
3. Beat June's no-spend days 0/19 days

#65 of 1106 Old 08-01-2007, 08:01 AM

Happy 1 August!

I am aiming for a no spend day. Yesterday we cut cable services and gassed the car at a station selling for a dimes less. We have food and all the comforts of home. Walking is free! *lol*

Have a good one, mamas!
#66 of 1106 Old 08-01-2007, 09:51 AM

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself. I'm frog--I'm 36 years old and a feminist event planner in my real life. On the side, I do tie-dye that I trade, gift, and sometimes sell (though rarely--I love to trade!), as well as doing academic editing on a freelance basis. I live with my partner, turtle, who works part-time doing fancy food mail order stuff. She's new at the job--prior to about 8 weeks ago, she was a SAHP, on the assumption that we'd have tadpoles any second. As you can see from my sig, we don't have any, yet. : We share our home with a felion pride of five (Mason, Kissa, Sevyn, Tamarind and Lychee), and our lives with many Small Friends and our Village.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of August. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases. In July, our success at this sucked with the sound of a big sucking thing. We're in credit-card debt in large part, though not exclusively, because of trying to get me pregnant last year. We've got to do a better job of paying down that debt.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month? We've tried lots of things--no purchases beyond gas and groceries without a 72-hour waiting period, twenty bucks a week budgeted for take-out, arguing with each other about who's spending more money--none of it has worked. Now, the plan is to cash turtle's checks outright, using that cash for our spending/fun money, and pay all of our bills (groceries, too) out of my paycheck. Any extra I bring in from tie-dye or freelance editing is earmarked for the debt. Any money our families send us is split in half--part goes toward the debt, part is extra fun money.
#67 of 1106 Old 08-01-2007, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Frog -- Even if ~this~ month sucks like something making a big sucking sound we need you here to keep us laughing!

#68 of 1106 Old 08-01-2007, 10:58 AM

A clean slate for August! Yay! I'm Rebecca, SAHM to Dillon and Elizabeth. We are STILL getting used to not having my income, after 8 months! The first few months I tended to dip into savings to cover the deficit between income and spending :, and I had to stop doing that, so now I am finally budgeting based on what we make, not on what we spend! :

I actually did pretty well last month, I'm proud of myself. I have a few things I want to tweak this month. My main goal is to go to cash only except for bills. Once all our regular monthly bills are paid, I should have $300 a pay period left for everything else--groceries, co pays at the doctor, gifts, everything. It sounds like a ton of money, and somehow I'm going through it. So I'm going to try taking out $250 in cash when DH gets paid next week, leaving the debit card at home, and see how it goes. I've always done better with the debit card than cash, I run through cash. But anymore, since Starbucks and everyone else takes my debit, I think I'm using it like cash and not paying enough attention to my spending!

So far this month I'm doing spectacularly--I am not planning to go anywhere today, so it will be a no spend day, and I just called XM Radio to cancel DH's subscription (which was already paid up for the year), so we are getting $75 back from them. AND they gave us 3 more months free to try to entice us back--it doesn't automatically renew or anything, so I don't have to cancel it in 90 days. I also counted up my Meijer Baby Bucks, and had enough to get a $20 gift card yesterday, so I got dog food for free and still have $6 left! (okay, so that doesn't count since it was yesterday, but still ) My mom buys diapers for her incontinent dog and gives me her baby bucks, so I haven't actually spent a fortune on baby products. We should also be getting a check from DirecTV in the next week or two from when I canceled our cable in JUNE! It takes them 8 weeks to send a check out, which is ridiculous.

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#69 of 1106 Old 08-01-2007, 11:04 AM

Yea!!

I started the compact today. Hope to last until December.

For August I want to do a no spend on consumables also!

I am making an exception for school supplies & shoes for my brothers wedding.

!!
#70 of 1106 Old 08-01-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccalizzie View Post
Meijer Baby Bucks
What are these?
#71 of 1106 Old 08-01-2007, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
August 1st! I love a fresh beginning. We are headed to the library this morning and I am thrilled -- my son found a library book that I was sure we had lost. So, that saves me $15 to replace the book.

Our cupboards are well stocked and I don't need to day any shopping. We'll need milk and fruit, but not for another few days. I only have $39 left in my grocery budget, so I need to make my pantry work for me this weekend.

August 1 -- should be a nice

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#72 of 1106 Old 08-01-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlazx2 View Post
Yea!!

I started the compact today. Hope to last until December.

For August I want to do a no spend on consumables also!

I am making an exception for school supplies & shoes for my brothers wedding.

!!
YAY for the compact! I've been compacting since last October and it's been challenging, fun, difficult and liberating all at once. I didn't save as much money as I'd hoped and found that somethings were more expensive second-hand than new. :

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#73 of 1106 Old 08-01-2007, 11:53 AM

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself. I'm Nikki, and have two children. This is my first month trying this "no spend" thing out.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of August. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.
We're finding ourselves in the hole each month, even though - according to our budget - we should have money left over at the end of the month. Last month, we tracked every single one of our purchases. We had spent nearly $2000 on random things we did not need. DH is worse for this than I am, because he doesn't think before he buys. I showed him the list of junk (food purchases, convenience store purchases, silly "toys", and bank fees every time a cheque bounced because he had drained the account the day before an automatic withdrawl....) and he agrees with me that we need to curb our spending. So we're going to try and make ZERO un-necessary purchases this month.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?
  • Will splurge a bit more with groceries so that we're not tempted to get take-out when there's nothing "easy" to make.
  • On a related note, I'm going to research new recipes to try out so that eating at home is more fun.
  • I am updating a spreadsheet daily, which shows our "financial leaks", so DH has something easy to review and we can track our mistakes better.
  • We'll find free activities for the weekends.

I also have to make acceptions for
  1. School supplies - it's DD's first year so we don't even have anything we could re-use.
  2. One trip - wedding related so there will be a few expenses there.
#74 of 1106 Old 08-01-2007, 11:54 AM

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

~My name is Rachael. Wife to Steve, Mom to Keller (3.5 months). I know I CAN be frugal, I am lazy and just don't do it and now, we need to. First time trying no spending!

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of August. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.

~My DH is a student and while he has been able to stay home with Keller he is now doing an internship and MUST take classes during the day, we need to pay for childcare now.

~We are average in our spending categories except Debt and Childcare. We would like to really focus on paying down our debt.

~Stress/Needs vs Wants. We spend way too much time focused on the things we want and not the wonderful things we already have

~Anniversary trip. We want to take our first trip away from the babe for our anniversary in September (just a weekend). We would like it to be worry free when it comes to money we will be spending.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?

~Week took out a cash "allowance" and when it is gone, it is gone. PERIOD.

~We are leaving all debit and credit cards at home. If we have cash there is no need for them (plus last month we spent over $400 on purchases of $10 or less ... OUCH!).

~DH is going to brown bag it for the first time EVER, I am SOOOOO happy he agreed to this.

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09
#75 of 1106 Old 08-01-2007, 12:07 PM

No spending this month is going to be hard ... its like a diet, the beginning is always hard but the end result is worth it.

So I need/or would like to do the following with my spending allowance. Any ideas on how to save?

~Buy Fruit, Pastry and Coffee Creamer for our Church welcome class (how much would these items be at Aldi?)

~Friend is having a Birthday Cookout. I don't HAVE to take something but would like to take him something, he's a great friend. Any suggestions?

~Friend (more of an acquaintance) just had a baby girl. Would like to get a small gift. Ideas?

#76 of 1106 Old 08-01-2007, 12:09 PM

New MDC mamas joining us this month!
MDC mamas from last month!

August 1 NO SPEND TODAY!

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#77 of 1106 Old 08-01-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityChic View Post
~Buy Fruit, Pastry and Coffee Creamer for our Church welcome class (how much would these items be at Aldi?)

~Friend (more of an acquaintance) just had a baby girl. Would like to get a small gift. Ideas?
Can your parish reimburse you for the welcome class stuff? It seems to me that they should be paying for that hospitality, not their members, IMO.

If you're interested in doing a trade with me for some tie-dye, I'm certainly open to that. You can see my work here. And, just because I'm so thrilled with this, here's a sample of my work being modeled by a friend's bebe.
#78 of 1106 Old 08-01-2007, 12:31 PM

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

My name is Kathirynne, and I am a single mumma to 4 lovely children.

ETA: Today is my birthday. I'm ordering Chinese for dinner and I'm not counting it as "frivolous"!

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the month of August. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.

My budget is still recovering from car repairs in June and a trip to Wyoming (for my sister's wedding) in July. I need to get my children ready for school in early September, so there is absolutely no wiggle room in our budget this month.

Longer term, I need to replenish my savings account, and start saving for Christmas. This no-spend policy is the only way I can see to do that.

The easiest way that I can think of is to make a shopping list and a budget and just stick to it. If I have budgeted $30 for petrol for the month, for instance, I have to be mindful of how much I drive my car so that it can last.

(I made my budget last night, and if I stick to it strictly, we'll be fine. If I deviate, we'll be in trouble.)

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#79 of 1106 Old 08-01-2007, 12:36 PM

kathirynne!
#80 of 1106 Old 08-01-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
YAY for the compact! I've been compacting since last October and it's been challenging, fun, difficult and liberating all at once. I didn't save as much money as I'd hoped and found that somethings were more expensive second-hand than new. :
What did you find more expensive? Its not so much the money, but I need to simplify rather than buying, browsing, and returning\selling items. Do you feel that you simplified somewhat?
#81 of 1106 Old 08-01-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityChic View Post
No spending this month is going to be hard ... its like a diet, the beginning is always hard but the end result is worth it.

So I need/or would like to do the following with my spending allowance. Any ideas on how to save?

~Friend is having a Birthday Cookout. I don't HAVE to take something but would like to take him something, he's a great friend. Any suggestions?

For the birthday cookout, maybe a bottle of wine, small bag of gourmet coffee, or some other little fancy edible treat?

For the baby, would a freezer meal be appropriate? (That is if you cook!) Otherwise, I know a package of diapers and/or wipes are always appreciated if they use sposies.

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#82 of 1106 Old 08-01-2007, 01:47 PM

I'm going with the approach of decluttering/simplifying to help this month - DD got waaaay too many new toys at her b-day - pro lots of new toys for her new age - con - lots of new toys - so we are sorting through toys & clothes & getting rid of baby toys and things never used/worn. I'm feeling cluttered in the house so hopefully this will help deter shopping.
so far so good today - I actually have someone coming to buy a toy from me today!

Kate, BioMama to Emma Lu, Elliana - Almost Mama to Martin, & Foster Mama to Baby T
#83 of 1106 Old 08-01-2007, 02:17 PM

I'm Vanessa, mama to one baby boy.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of August.

I will be returning to work PT in less than a month. DH will be cutting his hours down, so our income will stay the same. (Oh how I wish that we had saved money last yr when we had 2 incomes!) We both like to spend (travel, concerts, eating out, clothes). We have made some progress in curbing spending this yr, but it's not enough. Though we have a good income, we have too many expenses! (mortgage, 2 car payments, 2 student loans, insurance, etc.) We want to save for a down payment for a house in town, retirement, and college for DS.

Eat at home -- limit eating out (including lunches) to once a week.
Limit grocery spending to $100/wk.
Limit trips to town (for myself) to 3x/wk.
Stay out of retail stores/internet shopping sites!!!!!!!! NO MORE NEW CLOTHES! (I just spent $85 on 4 new items that I had been eying for weeks)
No shoes!!! (I've done great with this all yr -- with only 1 [impulse, impractical, but very pretty] purchase in 2007)
Library vs. purchasing books.
#84 of 1106 Old 08-01-2007, 02:23 PM

I am going to join this month! I am having it really tight right now. I am a single mom to 3 boys (ages 14, 13 and 11). My oldest son was in an accident in January (hospitalized until March). He has been in and out of the hospital every month since March for surgeries. I was fired from my job. I do received unemployment, but it's not alot. It takes 3 of my 4 unemployment checks each month to make my house payment. I do receive $600 a month in child support. Right now, my electric bill is high because I got behind on it, so they took the balance due (around $500) and broke it down into 4 payments that are added onto my regular monthly bill...

I plan on not eating out this month. (will have to eat out a few meals next week while DS is back in the hospital)
I plan on combining errands so 1 trip out can take care of things for a few days. Save gas.
I will only buy my other 2 children the bare minimum that they will need to return to school in 2 weeks.
I will only buy food that is on sale this month.
I will make a list to grocery shop and stick to it.
I will keep electric use to a bare minimum. (especially since the bill is already more for the next 4 months)
I will (and have been already) drastically cut back on the amount of soda that I drink.
I will also cut back on the amount of cigarettes that I smoke. ( i know, please no flaming. I had quit for 5 months, but when my DS was in an accident, I started back. I will try to quit another month that I am not so stressed out!)

I will be checking in frequently to read what everyone else is doing to save $ and hopefully get some new ideas for myself! Thanks for the support thread, mamas! This is great.
#85 of 1106 Old 08-01-2007, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

August 1..

My goals:
1. No diaper shopping 1/31 days
2. No McDonalds 1/31 days
3. Beat June's no-spend days 1/19 days

Home for the rest of the day and I'm logging off after I post this, so no diaper-swappin'

It feels really nice to see that little blue thumb-guy again after last month's spending splurge.

#86 of 1106 Old 08-01-2007, 03:45 PM

August 1: Brought snacks for the kids for our drive home after school. Spend $8 on gas but that's a "need".

copying CVTM, lol. Nearly ALL the extra money I spent last month (which was several times a week) was at McD's, even if it was just for a Coke or apples,etc.

No McD's 1/31
#87 of 1106 Old 08-01-2007, 04:07 PM

I'm Tara. I'm a SAHM to 19 month old Liam and another son who will be here sometime this month. I teach fiddle lessons out of my home for income but I will be taking most of August and September off for maternity leave. My husband's income is our primary income stream but we do rely on mine to smooth out rough spots so we're in trouble for the next couple of months.

We're trying hard to limit all kinds of waste in our lives and that definitely includes wasting money. We want to have more significant savings funds for our sons and also to have a travel fund so that we can start traveling with the boys when they're a bit bigger.

~We are going shopping on Saturday to Kohl's because there's a HUGE sale and I have an additional 15% everything coupon. Yossi needs shorts and jeans and I need a few items to get me through that post-pregnancy time (totally opposite season than with my first son). That will be our last clothing purchase for a good long while.

~meal planning and weekly grocery shopping

~record everything in our budget spreadsheet

~take the time to plan ahead so that I'm not spending money on convenience items
#88 of 1106 Old 08-01-2007, 04:23 PM

August 1 ~

-Completed a diaper purchase I agreed to at the end of July (budgeted so we are ok!)

Things I am itching to buy/do -

-Breastmilk Freezer Trays (I could use ziplock bags from home for now)

-Photo Album/Printed Pictures for a gift (I could use an album I have at home and print from our computer, it just wouldn't be as nice.)

-Send a package of baby clothes to a friend (her baby is due any day, but did not budget for shipping).

#89 of 1106 Old 08-01-2007, 04:36 PM

August 1st:

Usually on Wednesday's the kids and I go through the drive thru because we have gymnastics from 9:30-11 and 10:30-12. I wanted to start the month out right so I packed lunches for them to eat after class. I did buy myself a pop for $1.25 while we were there, but I thought that was better than the $15 I would have spent on food.

The rest of the day is spent at home.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#90 of 1106 Old 08-01-2007, 04:48 PM

Day 1 looks good for me. Set up the coffee machine last night so I woke up to the aroma of hot fresh coffee (Really need to make that a habit!) and went to speech class with Camden without stopping for snacks.

I was planning on cutting up my three credit cards last night but I'm waffling! I need to get a little bit of work done on my old car to put it up for sale and the only way I can really afford it is to put it on credit and then pay it back when the car sells. WWYD?? I really need to get this car sold so I can put my emergency fund back into the bank (pulled it out to buy the new truck for DP).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page