August No-Spend Challenge -- Congratulations no-spenders!!!! You made it to the end! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-02-2007, 12:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganW View Post
no spend day for me. also i found a site that wil give me points for shopping and free shipping to get the breast feedind stuff i need
the small amount of shopping online i do is through a site like this. it provided one of my family's dinners out on vacation last month with the gift cards i traded in my points for

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2007, 12:58 AM

Welcome to August everyone!

DP and I are very committed to this! We put a box by our front door for our receipts so we can keep track of where our money is going. We've also assured each other that we will try to stop going to the supermarket and only to the farmers market, the natural food store and bulk barn. We did really well on our groceries... we spent $20 on the farmers market and saved more than we thought. Then we stocked up on rice, quinoa, granola, nuts and yogurt at the natural food store. From what we bought, we made our own pesto (and used walnuts instead of pinenuts). We also got our CSA last night and thankfully didnt end up with a ton of lettuce this week! Also, I cut the fruit contents of our morning fruit shakes down by nearly half, so they aren't as thick but still yummy and healthy. We're thinking we might start making our own yogourt too, and I'm going to be baking bread and treats more as well.

Other than that, I decided to do away with yoga. Instead, I will be throwing DD in the sling and taking advantage of the free trails to hike on for exercise. My major splurge this month will be on didgeridoo lessons, which will run me $60 but since I won't be spending money on yoga I don't feel as bad about it...
Old 08-02-2007, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nantahala View Post

DH and I are working Dave Ramsey's plan .
what is this if i may ask? i don't feel like opening anohter window and googling, mind giving me a short rundown of what/who this is?

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
Old 08-02-2007, 01:08 AM

Aug 1st
but was very, very tempted to spend on frozen coffee
Old 08-02-2007, 01:12 AM

Aug.1
Old 08-02-2007, 02:47 AM

Aug 1st: I spent $1.30 in lunch (cheese string and almonds) and $3.00 in peanut butter and powdered sugar to make cookies (I can get 2 dozen out of these $3!). Both came from my allowance.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:56 AM

I'm LuAnn, SAHM/WAHM--when I can get work--to 4MO DS, and there's DH too, who enjoys breaking appliances which made HIM spend $80 already! But he thought he'd get brownie points for getting me one of those chopper/blender/processor things, and I'm ashamed to admit he was right! Anyway, I'm not tracking DH's spending, only mine. We're saving for the upcoming oil bills and trying to start an emergency fund, for which we have about $450 and I want it up to $1000 and to stay there a while, earning interest. The plan is to keep the rest of our money from DH--to which he agrees--and track everything but groceries. We never go over on those.

So here I go:
8/1 just rent and oil savings
Old 08-02-2007, 02:58 AM

My name is Sara and I am a SAHM to two boys. Luke turns 12 this month and Logan is 2. DH has a good, secure job with great hours and benefits but we are in a lot of debt. We homeschool and are in the process of becoming vegetarian.

We have been trying to have a third baby for quite some time and our last two pregnancies have ended in miscarriages. We are trying again with medical help. We also want to buy a house in the next year or so and must drastically reduce our debt load before that will be possible.

- No box stores! No Wal-mart, Costco, Zellers or Superstore.
- Completely vegetarian diet (much cheaper since we only buy free-range organic meats)
- Make a list of free activities to do with the kids
- Try to walk to more parks and have more fun at home to reduce the amount of gas we use
- No eating out at all! None!
- Try to buy all groceries at the local farms or the local grocery store and plan meals based on sales and farm specials.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granola_mom View Post
My major splurge this month will be on didgeridoo lessons, which will run me $60 but since I won't be spending money on yoga I don't feel as bad about it...
Man! Always wanted to play one of those!!! But I've played instruments in the past and also spent thousands of $$$ on them, and have finally realized that I don't have the patience for them anymore! But good luck from a former prof. musician!
Old 08-02-2007, 03:00 AM

August 1

$8.00 on fast food. In my defence it was before I saw this thread and it will be the last fast food (and meat) that I eat this month.

$6.00 at Liquidation world on a new tablecloth and 2 bleach pens.

On the plus side, my driver's side window malfunctioned in my van and wouldn't go back up. Ford quoted me $500 to fix it which I don't have so I asked nicely and my FIL took the door apart to get the window back up. The window doesn't work but at least it's up, I didn't have to give Ford $500 and heck, it'll keep me away from the drive through.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Makes 4 View Post
On the plus side, my driver's side window malfunctioned in my van and wouldn't go back up. Ford quoted me $500 to fix it which I don't have so I asked nicely and my FIL took the door apart to get the window back up. The window doesn't work but at least it's up, I didn't have to give Ford $500 and heck, it'll keep me away from the drive through.
Yeah, that's one way...
Old 08-02-2007, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Makes 4 View Post
August 1

$8.00 on fast food. In my defence it was before I saw this thread and it will be the last fast food (and meat) that I eat this month.

$6.00 at Liquidation world on a new tablecloth and 2 bleach pens.

heh, our driver's side window has been slipping off the track every time you try to open it for months. dh just goes to sonic and opens the door to order

Old 08-02-2007, 08:46 AM

Grrr. I have to update yesterday:

1 August: $6 @ Zaxby's
2 August: will update!

We are on a strict budget until 8/9 when I get paid but I think we'll be okay.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
August 1 --
August 2 --

Yesterday was awsome. I needed to send 2 letters, but found that I was out of stamps. I hand delivered one letter on the way to the library. Then I scrounged change out of the car -- seriously, I was on my knees digging under the mats -- but I found enough change to buy one stamp! We went to the library, the post office, the YMCA for a swim -- great free day!

Today, it is 95 degrees and awful outside. There is no way we are going anywhere. I think this is a good day to fill the kiddie pool and eat homemade popsicles. Maybe a playdate if we get stir crazy.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Old 08-02-2007, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out." Robert Collier

I liked that quote...thought it applied well to us.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:21 PM

Okay, I am staying OFF the coop boards! I dropped from the Chicobag coop, even though I could use some. Here's my reasoning, though: it needs to be a swap OR coop, not both. I'd much rather participate in the swaps because they are a lot of fun. Also, my Chicobag order is small enough that I can order directly from them (paying just a few $$ more) and avoid the hassles of a coop. BUT-I'm holding off on ordering any until September!

I'll be spending $4.60 today to mail a document for grad school, but I'll count that as academic-related spending. It would cost me more in gas to hand deliver it anyways. I need to return a movie to Blockbuster, but I will come straight home instead of stopping somewhere on the way. I have meat thawing for a yummy dinner tonight. DH and I will go to the gym and take the dog for a walk, so I don't forsee any expenses for today as long as I don't go back to the coop board or stop by any stores on the way home!

ETA: Made it to Blockbuster and back without stopping. Reason why? I took the dog with me! He loves car rides, but I'd never leave him in the car alone while I shopped (too hot anyways), so that deterred any stopping. Yipee!

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:23 PM

1st
2nd

Kate, BioMama to Emma Lu, Elliana - Almost Mama to Martin, & Foster Mama to Baby T
Old 08-02-2007, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

August 1..
August 2.. $31.80 body pillow from Costco and state park pass

My goals:
1. No diaper shopping 2/31 days
2. No McDonalds 2/31 days
3. Beat June's no-spend days 1/19 days

Oooooooooooh....I really really really really want some cute little purple Armani frames that I saw at Costco yesterday.

I want want want want want themmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. (that works for my toddler, why won't it work for me??)

I had to bodily remove myself from the Costco yesterday to keep from ordering them. You should just see how cute I look in these frames....

Nevermind that I just bought new frames less than a year ago.

And nevermind that I almost never wear my glasses anyway because they get all fogged up in the cold and they feel sweaty to me in the summer.

I neeeeeeeeeeeed those frames!!!!!!

Okay, come September 1st I am RUNNING to the Costco to get those frames.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Whew! Now I feel better.

And the desire for those frames is incrementally less, now that I have recorded it here.

(but only incrementally)

Old 08-02-2007, 04:36 PM

Aug 2--$14.50 at arts and crafts fair..did find xmas gifts and cute wooden car for ds...friend ended up treating at our lunch date so only $5.00 for the tip...not quite a no spend day...so i'll go ahead and post for tomorrow..maybe that will be the trick..
Aug 3--
Old 08-02-2007, 04:50 PM

Not quite the end of the day yet, but still on track. Yeah!!!

August 1:
August 2:
Old 08-02-2007, 06:12 PM

August 1 NO SPEND DAY! (Ok, so I didn't spend, my mom did and bought myself and DD some "gifts" that were badly needed!)
August 2 NO SPEND TODAY!

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
Old 08-02-2007, 06:24 PM

Moms Rock!

Kate, BioMama to Emma Lu, Elliana - Almost Mama to Martin, & Foster Mama to Baby T
Old 08-02-2007, 06:42 PM

Thanks for your support on my tough day yesterday. As for my spending alone, my husband's aside, I'm doing well enough:

August 1st:
August 2nd:

No Spend Days: 0/16

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:46 PM

August 1: $7.50 for lunch/dinner combo
August 2: $1.86 for drinks out with a friend

Running total, unbudgeted: $7.50
Old 08-02-2007, 06:55 PM

August 1: $14.00
August 2:
Old 08-02-2007, 07:01 PM

so far, so good today

aug 1
aug 2

i *am* looking at a couple of auctions on ebay, but it is for a book i need to replace for a friend who loaned us hers. i refuse to give it back to her in the condition it is in now. if things go well though, it should be anywhere from 4.80 -5.50 total including shipping. that is better than the price i've been offered so far here on mdc i am definately not gonna spend over 6 bucks on it.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:45 PM

Aug 1: A-OK
Aug 2: erm. Not so much. I bought some shirts for me, they were just plain & on sale so I guess that isn't so bad. An ironing board cover b/c the old one doesn't work so well and I iron a lot (for sewing). BUT I bought a total unnecessary. . .two outfits for the baby Trust me he has enough clothes. OH well. Tomorrow is another day.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
Old 08-02-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
BUT I bought a total unnecessary. . .two outfits for the baby Trust me he has enough clothes. OH well. Tomorrow is another day.
Can you go return the baby outfits?

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:49 PM

Aug. 1
Aug. 2 DH forgot lunch and got White Castle Ick! :

User Tag List