August No-Spend Challenge -- Congratulations no-spenders!!!! You made it to the end! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 1106 Old 08-03-2007, 02:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To prevent further unexpected lunch expenses from DH, I am sending a "emergency lunch" to go in the freezer at work for the next time he forgets. Wish I'd thought of this before.

-Pam
#182 of 1106 Old 08-03-2007, 02:31 AM

August 1st:
August 2nd:

WOW, I can't believe how difficult but rewarding this has been already! Thursdays are my ds's day off from daycare and my day off from school. Usually we shop in the morning, have a nap at home, and then go to our kiddie group. Instead, we stayed home all morning and it was amazing. We had such a great time together!

I did buy a $3 air freshener for my car today, which I could have gone without but I think my passengers will thank me.
#183 of 1106 Old 08-03-2007, 04:27 AM

Aug 1-
Aug 2-
#184 of 1106 Old 08-03-2007, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Day 3 of our challenge...the weekend is coming...

All that leisure time... partners at home... the weekend can be tough.

Do you see any potholes that could trip you up this weekend? Take a minute today to think about what's coming up.

Hang tight onto your money!

#185 of 1106 Old 08-03-2007, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

No spending is very tough.

It is easy to say you want to no-spend, but very tough to execute. Go back and re-read what you wrote for #2.

For those of you who feel like you have already fallen off the wagon -- DON'T GIVE UP!

The wagon hasn't even pulled out of the station yet...we're still here waiting for you to jump back on.

For those who already have two no-spend days under their belt -- Good job! You are off to an excellent start!

#186 of 1106 Old 08-03-2007, 07:26 AM

Weekend is my weakness!!!

The base community garage sale is on Sat...I might take out $20 and browse...

My DH is deployed now, so the pressure to eat out and "do something" has lessened. The kids are happy trying to catch crabs and going to the playground, whew!!

I will be strong, well, except that big garage sale, lol.
#187 of 1106 Old 08-03-2007, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Dh and I just had a talk about our weekend plans. He wanted to take a big trip to the beach, but honestly the heat has been so bad and I am pregnant so a trip sounds awful. The heat has been making me pukey.

Instead, we are having a quiet day at home tomorrow getting caught up on some things. BIL is coming on Sunay and I found a chicken in the feeezer to serve. I think we can escape the weekend without spending any money!

This is waaaaay different from our normal weekend -- take out pizza on Friday, shopping on Saturday, bagel and coffee after Meeting on Sunday -- $$$$ the cash flows like water normally.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#188 of 1106 Old 08-03-2007, 08:38 AM

My husband has this scheme with one of our neighbors to dig out a whole bunch of the hill behind our house and transfer all the dirt down to neighbor's backyard. It's going to be a full day to a possibly two day project so there won't be many oppurtunities to spend money this weekend. I am concerned about tonight though. I would like to get out of the house but I don't want to spend money...we're usually no good at that.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#189 of 1106 Old 08-03-2007, 09:19 AM

August 1: $7.50 for lunch/dinner combo
August 2: $1.86 for drinks out with a friend
August 3: $380 for car repairs; $3.35 for lunch

Running total, unbudgeted: $10.85

Unanticipated cash infusions: $200, for childcare provided during a crisis for which insurance money has been received
#190 of 1106 Old 08-03-2007, 09:22 AM

Aug 1-

Aug 2- DD woke up @5am, so we took the dogs to the beach for sunrise and picked up breakfast, it was delicious and time well spent. $9.00

Later went to a local arts show, spent only $13 on handmade soaps for gifts. Not too bad, not to good.

Also went grocery shopping and went $15 over budget. I think it was a few extra's I bought to make homemade granola bars, they had organic bread on special (froze one) and I needed fruit and veggie wash, and I splurged on some mangoes. yum.

We're meeting friends for a free activity today.

Oh, my mom's bday is this month. I found some of our family's china on e-bay and may buy her one item. Sentimental and not too pricey.
#191 of 1106 Old 08-03-2007, 10:02 AM

1 - 61.11 dog food & groceries - musts but i'm tracking everything but gas
2 -
3 -

buckled down this month due to last month's crazy spending.

sarah
#192 of 1106 Old 08-03-2007, 10:03 AM

Hi Meems!

#193 of 1106 Old 08-03-2007, 10:21 AM

1st
2nd
3rd - should be

We are scoring this month too - DH won a $30 gift card to a yummy local restaurant at work for having his time sheet in on time (I guess they put everyone in a drawing for getting it in as an incentive since they are all salary)
I sold an art easel yesterday that we haven't used in ages for $10!

We are having friends staying with us this weekend fwhile they are house hunting in this area - THey are taking us to dinner tonight since we will be keeping their DD all weekend. THen we have a b-day party on Saturday night ( gifts were bought weeks ago so free dinner & entertainment sat) sunday we will be going to the zoo with friends ( have a pass will just need to pack snacks!)

Woohoo - maybe I'll be successfull this month!

Carla - I am in a similiar position - I watch 2 babies - I want to drop my full time one. So this month I want to see if we are ok with just the part timers salary (she pays for full time & is off 6 weekdays a month & half days on friday) Ideally our friends moving back want a nanny situation because he travels so we are talking about that & their DD is closer to our DD's age -
I use to have 7 plus DD under 3 - NEVER again!!!! :

Kate, BioMama to Emma Lu, Elliana - Almost Mama to Martin, & Foster Mama to Baby T
#194 of 1106 Old 08-03-2007, 10:33 AM

Hi, I'm Ashley.

I'm attempting to overhaul some of my spending habits and even though I don't post much, I've been lurking here for a long time and have been learning.

Both DH and I freelance, so money is always an issue. He's about to lose his biggest client (the one that pays the bills..ugh) and I'm trying to reduce my obligation (my client, we travel for and I'm SOOOO sick of traveling), but that will also reduce our income. So, we live really well and have for a long time, without much thought to budget and I'm trying to get myself into the mindset and get some practice while I still have funds in the bank.

I have a plan, but DD is crying...bbl.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#195 of 1106 Old 08-03-2007, 10:55 AM

Meems can you make your own veggie wash? thats what we do.
#196 of 1106 Old 08-03-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaPam View Post
To prevent further unexpected lunch expenses from DH, I am sending a "emergency lunch" to go in the freezer at work for the next time he forgets. Wish I'd thought of this before.

-Pam
I do this too, although I don't send a freezer meal. DH requested stuff he can snack on while on the phone, at a phone conference, etc. For him, he ususally comes home for lunch but once in awhile something unexpected will come up where he has to stay at work. (This happened yesterday.) I just send dried fruit, mixed nuts, and trail mix. Definitely cheaper than a vending machine and probably healthier too. I periodically ask him how his stock is doing and if it's low/out, I write that down on my grocery list. Next time I'm at the grocery store, I pick up a bunch of things and put them all in a bag for DH to take to work.

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#197 of 1106 Old 08-03-2007, 12:40 PM

Well I am quite upset this morning. I had to spend money on a non-budgeted item that was a necessity. I didn't budget any money for car repairs this month because we just spent $800 at the end of July. Well I got home last night and the alternator went on my truck. So, $200 for car repairs out of budget. Blah!
#198 of 1106 Old 08-03-2007, 12:42 PM

Aug 1 - $14.00 unplanned spending
Aug 2 -
Aug 3 -

I am not going to get in the van today so I won't be able to spend any money since you have to drive to get anywhere from here.

I am dying for chocolate so I think I will stick Logan in the Ergo later and make a chocolate pudding cake. He brings me the Ergo almost every day and says "Back .... CAKE"!

I talked to DH about this yesterday and we agreed that we are aiming for 20 spend-free days in August and no unplanned spending. I know DH is going out for lunch today but that is coming out of his personal spending money which I have no say over. I am saving mine up to eventually buy a camcorder so I am including my personal money in no-spend.
#199 of 1106 Old 08-03-2007, 01:14 PM

Well... the month hasn't started too well for me...
Day 1 - didn't count cause that's what got me here...
Day 2 - $5.35 on a smoothie (we were going crazy sitting at home -- too hot to go outside so we went to walk the mall..and smoothies are my weakness BUT i got a super duper blender for mothers day so i could make my own... the only thing i can say in my defense was that i needed Nic to sit down for a few cause i thought joe needed to nurse... and we left the stroller in the car. I SOOO can't wait til the mall opens their soft toddler play area (woohoo!) ...
Day 3 - well, its gonna be a spend day since we need to find grandpa a bday present...but we're not leaving the house so dh is buying it! ( i know, famous last words)...

So... I really want to subscribe back to Dr Fuhrmans website... its 100/year and you get a discount on vitamins (we use his vitamins for nic... it saves us somewhere between 10-20 (forget exactly) per order...we order every other month)... but i really dont want to spend the $$... wwyd? (we need to order vitamins soon)

#200 of 1106 Old 08-03-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1nluv View Post
So... I really want to subscribe back to Dr Fuhrmans website... its 100/year and you get a discount on vitamins (we use his vitamins for nic... it saves us somewhere between 10-20 (forget exactly) per order...we order every other month)... but i really dont want to spend the $$... wwyd? (we need to order vitamins soon)
If you only save $10/order, the sub won't even pay for itself. It will BARELY pay for itself if you save $20/order. I wouldn't do it, myself.
#201 of 1106 Old 08-03-2007, 01:43 PM

I'm in for August. Please see my profile on the July thread. I can cut and paste it here when I have time.

August 1 -
August 2 -
#202 of 1106 Old 08-03-2007, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
August 1 --
August 2 --
August 3 -- (10.31 for groceries, well within budget)

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#203 of 1106 Old 08-03-2007, 01:58 PM

I soooo need this!

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.
I'm Rachel, SAHM to 21 month old DD.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of August. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.
I've been trying to become more concious of our spending habits and have started making an effort to buy locally in the last few months. Spending less in general is my new goal. And to put more $ into savings each month.
I am also trying to prepare more whole foods for our family as an effort to both save money and eat healthier.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?
--log onto online banking everyday to check balances and to avoid overdraft fees.
--avoid online shopping sites; trash catalogs immediately!
--combine car trips to save gas
--be conscious of shopping out of boredom; look for free activities
--plan meals and shopping to avoid eating/ordering out and expensive convience food
--bake bread more often to cut back on expensive artisan bread from grocery store
--pack DH lunch everyday. Even though not technically *my* spending, it will help cut down on unncessary spending and is an effort to help him eat healthier at the same time
--make iced coffee at home with leftover coffee instead of buying it out (my weakness and 'treat' for myself)

So far:
August 1st--grocery shopping and farm stand--bought only essentials (skipped my normal coffee for the ride home!)
August 2nd--playdate at home with friends; made crockpot meal and homemade bread. No spending!
#204 of 1106 Old 08-03-2007, 02:07 PM

August 1 -

August 2 - ** This was a VICTORY for me. We hung out with friends and did not spend a dime!!! I am so proud of this, it may be the first time EVER!!!**

August 3 - So far, so good. I resisted stopping for breakfast at the diner and I resisted sending a package overnight when it can go regular mail. I would have used my debit card for both these items but since it was at home POOF, temptation gone!!!

HOWEVER, send good vibes my way. I am going to Grocery Store/Target with a friend tonite (she's new in town) and I DO NOT need anything ...

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09
#205 of 1106 Old 08-03-2007, 02:26 PM

HollysMom sorry about what your going thru with the vehicles. Thats a reall bummer. Maybe these repairs will last for awhile.
#206 of 1106 Old 08-03-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooktosea View Post
HollysMom sorry about what your going thru with the vehicles. Thats a reall bummer. Maybe these repairs will last for awhile.
Thanks!
#207 of 1106 Old 08-03-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityChic View Post
HOWEVER, send good vibes my way. I am going to Grocery Store/Target with a friend tonite (she's new in town) and I DO NOT need anything ...
Just think of it this way-you're going to have a hard time justifying your purchases to us afterwards, especially since you just told us you don't need anything!

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#208 of 1106 Old 08-03-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityChic View Post
August 1 -

August 2 - ** This was a VICTORY for me. We hung out with friends and did not spend a dime!!! I am so proud of this, it may be the first time EVER!!!**

August 3 - So far, so good. I resisted stopping for breakfast at the diner and I resisted sending a package overnight when it can go regular mail. I would have used my debit card for both these items but since it was at home POOF, temptation gone!!!

Leave the debit card at home - no money = no purchase.
#209 of 1106 Old 08-03-2007, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

August 1..
August 2.. $31.80
August 3..

My goals:
1. No diaper shopping 3/31 days
2. No McDonalds 3/31 days
3. Beat June's no-spend days 2/19 days

#210 of 1106 Old 08-03-2007, 03:45 PM

I would like to add a goal to my previous list.

We cloth diaper but for some reason Logan gets yeast infections if we cloth diaper at night. We have tried probiotics, bleaching the diapers, tea tree oil, grapefruit seed extract and several brands and combos of diapers and doublers. Our solution is that he wears one disposable at night and we cloth diaper the rest of the time.

We often get lazy though and use the disposable diapers during the day when we don't feel like doing the diaper laundry.

I have 35 disposable diapers and my goal is to not purchase any more until September. That means that I must keep up on my diaper laundry and not be lazy about sticking him in a disposable whenever I feel like it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page