August No-Spend Challenge -- Congratulations no-spenders!!!! You made it to the end! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 1106 Old 08-04-2007, 12:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

I'm Ramette (not really, but that's what I go by) and I have a husband and a two year old. I'm in a Medical assisting program and I intend continue into nursing and possibly midwifery. My Husband and I both work full time and I attend classes as well. I work full time at night and take most of my classes at night so that I can spend the majority of my day with my daughter.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of August. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.

We're ttc #2 and I went and added up our debt recently: $13,000!!! This includes house (mobile home) and car so I know it's not really that bad but I never imagined it was SO HIGH! I ballparked $7000 so I was really shocked!

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?

I know that a TON of our cash is spent on fast and ready cooked food so I'm aiming to eat at home every day and my husband is going to try to come home for/take his lunch at least 4 of the 6 days he works. I'm also going to try to save on gas by making less trips to the store and shopping with a list AND sticking to that list! I'm also going to remove the old heater from our hall to provide a much needed linen closet while removing a HUGE cost from our power bill (it dosen't provide heat, the central AC does but the air is still circulated through it even when it's off...makes the house hot) i will NOT carry my debit card with me. only a small amount of cash for emergencies. Also, No ordering movies/tv off of unbox and no renting anything.
#242 of 1106 Old 08-04-2007, 01:57 AM

Aug. 1:
Aug. 2:
Aug. 3:

While the beginning of August has not been no-spend, it has been "frivolous free" per our definition. The really exciting news for our finances is that we will likely reach an agreement this weekend to sell a building lot we don't need - thus can pay off the HELOC immediately.

Progress on Goals:
* Less than $200 in frivolous spending - August to date: $0
* At least 20 days - 3/31
* NO McDonald's - 3/31
* Pack snacks + water for outings - 3/31
* Avoid Target - 3/31

Kim
#243 of 1106 Old 08-04-2007, 02:33 AM

Aug 1:
Aug 2: $1.40 on bagel @ work, $5 @ Baskin Robbins, ice cream for kids & me
Aug 3: so not good, $3.10 b'fast @ work, $4.00 lunch, $10 at thrift store for shirt for B & Capri's for me, $4.01 @ DQ.
#244 of 1106 Old 08-04-2007, 03:25 AM

1. Hi, I am Melissa. I have an almost 11 month son. My husband and I are both full time students.

2. We are living off our student loans. My husband lost his job in July and I am in the process of getting a job.

3. I think this is my game plan. For now it is just saying that I am not going to spend money and see how it goes. I am bringing my own coffee and water with me.

Aug. 1:
Aug 2:
Aug 3: McDonald's- we were out and hungry.-$12.63 Not satisfying. $16.31- Beer. A bottle of wine for my friends who just bought a house. (It ended up broken before anyone had a glass)
Aug 4: nothing

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#245 of 1106 Old 08-04-2007, 04:26 AM

1. I'm Kristen. I work part time, my husband works full time, two little girls - DD1 is almost three, and DD2 is 4 months.

2. I'm not trying to do no spend, just mindful spending. We are moving internationally in two months, and have a big trip right before the move. We also have a lot of pre-moving expenses, and I would love to manage all of it without dipping into savings.

3. The plan: meal planning, combine errands, limit impulse purchasing.
#246 of 1106 Old 08-04-2007, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Frugal Progress:

We put the kids early to bed last night and had a "date night" at home. Candles, fancy dishes, wine...I went to the grocery store and bought some of our favorite foods (budgeted).

Granted, it was not nearly as fun as going to my favorite Thai restaurant (where was the kitchen staff when it was time to do the dishes???), but it does feel nice this morning to have $30-40 that we would have given to the restaurant still sitting in our pockets.

I don't know why we put the kids to bed though...since all we did was talk about them.

#247 of 1106 Old 08-04-2007, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

August 1..
August 2.. $31.80
August 3..
August 4.. ____ <---- insert thumb here

My goals:
1. No diaper shopping 3/31 days
2. No McDonalds 3/31 days
3. Beat June's no-spend days 2/19 days

I better copy this and get it here because this thread is moving so faaast this month! Way to go Mamas!!!

#248 of 1106 Old 08-04-2007, 08:52 AM

Aug. 1
Aug. 2: $33
Aug. 3 - Mailed check for $43 for Angel Food (out of our grocery fund so it is allowable. If that doesn't work out we can donate to Dh's cousin who is due any time with DS #2, has a 3 year old, and DH just got laid off.)

Today we did the quarium on passes, packed food and drinks, didn't spend one single dime today. Cooked from scratch for MIL.

Bday party tomorrow (still thinking about that one), and baby shower on Sunday.
#249 of 1106 Old 08-04-2007, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
August 1 --
August 2 --
August 3 -- (10.31 for groceries)
August 4 --

So, I am going to a baby shower tomorrow. But it is not really a baby shower, more of a "celebrate mom" party -- it was requested that we don't bring gifts. So, do I really not bring a gift? I have a feeling that I should bring a little something or this will be one of those situations where everyone brings a gift and I am the only one who shows up empty handed.

I was thinking of burning a few CDs of our favorite kid music and maybe baking a loaf of bread. I have everything on hand to do both of these things, so no money spent. Hmmmm....

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#250 of 1106 Old 08-04-2007, 09:43 AM

ruthie girl I think those are great ideas. That way you don't go empty handed yet you don't go out and buy a gift.

crunchy vt mom your date night sounds wonderful. If you hadn't put the kids to bed you might not have gotten so much time to talk about them. That was a good idea.
#251 of 1106 Old 08-04-2007, 10:40 AM

We are spending a lot this month, but so far not a lot of it is unnecessary. We did order pizza Friday night, but we were planning to go out that night and then decided to stay home instead. DH went to the dentist and had a cavity filled. I need to go next week. DD1 had a check up and has no cavities! Yeah!

I have enough food in the house to feed us for two weeks, minus the few nights we PLAN to eat out. Now I just need to resist temptation to order out beyond what is planned. . .
#252 of 1106 Old 08-04-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post
I was thinking of burning a few CDs of our favorite kid music and maybe baking a loaf of bread. I have everything on hand to do both of these things, so no money spent. Hmmmm....
Great idea! My favorite gifts after Logan was born were all FOOD! My SIL & BIL stopped at the grocery store and grought us a loaf of wonderful bread, a whole bunch of fruit and some lovely cheese a few hours after Logan was born and it is the only gift I remember from those crazy first days.

My post-baby gifts are always food now and nothingi s better than homemade bread!
#253 of 1106 Old 08-04-2007, 01:02 PM

August 3: No spending!

Spent the day at home; baked bread. Went to a free event in town that evening. My mom bought me a lemonade, but I spent $0.
#254 of 1106 Old 08-04-2007, 01:04 PM

so i am working on a system using color coding to help me track all our spending this month, not just unnecessaries. using the numbers from this month, i figure will be a good jumping off point to throw a "budget" together.

aug 1
aug 2
aug 3- 904.84 paycheck gotta love overtime 220 lot rent, 230 payback last loan for payday check cash advance. 237 partial car insurance payment, 43.66 for groceries and school supplies. 4.00 for a rx for dh's headaches.

regular expense
variable expense
unplanned expense well, it was semi-planned, but it is not somethign we do regularly. we had to borrow $ for vacation last monht from 2 different payday advance places to get what we need for the hotel billl and the groceries we had to buy up there to cook (we did stay in a suite so we dind't have much of an "eating out" expense.)

amount left until next paypay or next expense- 181.18

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#255 of 1106 Old 08-04-2007, 02:14 PM

Aug 1st
Aug 2nd
Aug 3rd (friends took us to dinner for watching their DD while they are in town house hunting!)
Aug 4th - we are headed out to 2 B-day parties in a bit so covers dinner & there is gas in the car.

Kate, BioMama to Emma Lu, Elliana - Almost Mama to Martin, & Foster Mama to Baby T
#256 of 1106 Old 08-04-2007, 02:37 PM

Okay, how the hell are there 13 pages to this thread already!!!!????: So I haven't posted since my intro because I've been embarassed. I've spent $ EVERY day so far!!!! Some of it necessary, some of it not. I'm going through a rough time with my DP right now and feeling a little overwhelmed. I might be checking out this month as we leave for Mexico in 7 days anyway. But please keep up the good work ladies and I hope to join you again in September!!

Bilingual mama to DS J 6/4/06 and new DS C 9/27/10  homebirth.jpg
#257 of 1106 Old 08-04-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J's Mama View Post
So I haven't posted since my intro because I've been embarassed. I've spent $ EVERY day so far!!!! Some of it necessary, some of it not. I'm going through a rough time with my DP right now and feeling a little overwhelmed.

((hug))

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#258 of 1106 Old 08-04-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J's Mama View Post
Okay, how the hell are there 13 pages to this thread already!!!!????: So I haven't posted since my intro because I've been embarassed. I've spent $ EVERY day so far!!!! Some of it necessary, some of it not. I'm going through a rough time with my DP right now and feeling a little overwhelmed. I might be checking out this month as we leave for Mexico in 7 days anyway. But please keep up the good work ladies and I hope to join you again in September!!
Ok, seriously, check out my no-spend July!!! I think I had 4 days that were no-spend the whole month!!: It's all learning, keep posting! I know I was embarressed posting everyday that I went to McD's but it made me see how I was just wasting money.

Hang in there!
#259 of 1106 Old 08-04-2007, 04:00 PM

Aug 1
Aug 2
Aug 3 $115-$18 return ($86 unbudgeted ottoman/coffee table but still somewhat necessary)
Aug 4
Aug 5 (groceries-budgeted)

Ok, so I'm getting ahead of myself but I don't forsee us spending any more than this. We're going to go swimming and play tennis today, then tomorrow we have church services in the morning and evening, with a short grocery run in between.

I know that I'm not truly doing no spend, but I am trying to do no unnecessary spending.
#260 of 1106 Old 08-04-2007, 06:03 PM

1 August- ordered in Chinese for my birthday (budgeted)
2 August-
3 August- groceries (budgeted)
4 August- hardware store (budgeted)
HFS groceries (budgeted, plus I got a $1.25 back in bottle deposit)
Target (snorkel for my daughter for day camp. Not budgeted, but only $4.39 after gift card)
5 August -
6 August -
7 August -
8 August -
9 August - groceries (budgeted)
10 August -
11 August - .
12 August -
13 August -
14 August - groceries (budgeted, but now I have reached my budgeted amount, so I have to STICK. to. my. meal. plan. for the rest of the month.)
petrol (budgeted, and I shouldn't need any more for at least the rest of the month)
15 August - (so far, so good. I almost went out for lunch : , because I left mine at home, but remembered that I had a frozen dinner in the breakroom fridge. Not the tastiest lunch, but at least I didn't break my no-spend resolution. )

Total unbudgeted spending for the month so far: $3.14

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#261 of 1106 Old 08-04-2007, 06:27 PM

Aug 1:
Aug 2: $1.40 on bagel @ work, $5 @ Baskin Robbins, ice cream for kids & me
Aug 3: so not good, $3.10 b'fast @ work, $4.00 lunch, $10 at thrift store for shirt for B & Capri's for me, $4.01 @ DQ.
Aug 4:
#262 of 1106 Old 08-04-2007, 06:35 PM

Aug 1 - $14.00 unplanned spending
Aug 2 -
Aug 3 -
Aug 4 - ($25 on a doctor's note for DH's work and $13 on groceries but both necessary and nothing frivolous! ~ returned shirt for $20 and received unexpected rebate cheque for $29 so actually MADE $11)

Goals:

No box stores: 4/30
No diaper shopping: 4/30
No frivolous spending : 3/25 ... I am allowing 5 *oops* days to get a coffee or something unbudgetted.
#263 of 1106 Old 08-04-2007, 06:38 PM

Okay I'm jumping in!! *MY* spending is the problem here so if I can keep my grocery trips to once a week and STAY OUT OF THE STORES we should be fine on our budget!!

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.
My name is Stacey. We have two dc and are getting ready to have our 3rd in October. I'm a SAHM.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of August. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.
We've had a budget forever but I'm just not great at sticking to it! I'll run to the grocery store 2-3 times a week and even though I buy storebrand, etc that really hurts us!

We also had to buy a minivan this week since the engine and transmission went bad in mine and we now have a car payment. Which I HATE! But DH was determined that we weren't buying another clunker like our last one. I broke down on Monday with the kids and had to push it out of the road by myself. DH said never again. Thankfully, we got a really good deal on a Honda Odyssey and our goal is having it paid off in 3 years.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?
Well, DH makes enough money for us to live on and have a little extra if I budget well and stick to it!! I plan to stay out of the stores, meal plan, make sure I buy enough food for the week that I only have to go to the store once and not buy anything unnecessary!!

Aug 1:
Aug 2: $30 on dinner (we'd been out looking at minivans all day and had to find somewhere to eat at almost 10pm). We won't go there again!!
Aug 3:
Aug 4: 75 cents on library fine

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#264 of 1106 Old 08-04-2007, 06:55 PM

August 1 - 3

August 4 - Brunch wasn't so bad. Our friends picked up the tab (SO SWEET) and we left the tip (with budgeted spending money) woo hoo!

HOWEVER, we were invited to a cookout tonite and instead of making something (DH and I are both exhausted from long weeks) we purchased some snacks ... but they were at Aldi so I don't feel so bad. But that's $10 non-budgeted funds.

So far 1 spend day of 4 ... not too shabby.

Tomorrow could also be tough ... hanging out with friends in the evening ... we usually get dinner ... we are going to eat before we leave and hopefully stand firm in no spending!

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09
#265 of 1106 Old 08-04-2007, 07:03 PM

We did well today. We're eating at the neighbors tonight, so spent $15 at the grocery store for our share of what we're bringing. A lot of that was staples (flour, sugar, etc.) that we'll use for months to come. I also picked up some whole grain buns (unplanned-not on list) because they are always out of stock! We'll freeze them and use them as needed.

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#266 of 1106 Old 08-04-2007, 07:10 PM

Aug 1st
Aug 2nd
Aug 3rd
Aug 4th
#267 of 1106 Old 08-04-2007, 07:12 PM

August 1 Paid rent and saved for oil bill
August 2 Got PayPal interest
August 3
August 4
#268 of 1106 Old 08-04-2007, 07:16 PM

Meems that darn DQ!
#269 of 1106 Old 08-04-2007, 07:41 PM

That darn DQ! I'm just glad the nearest DQ from me is to far to walk to!!

I did super today! I spent nothing at all! I actually earned $35!!

I put $25 in an envelope that I put cash in to go towards bills and the rest will go on bus tickets either tomorow or Monday.
#270 of 1106 Old 08-04-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityChic View Post
August 1 - 3

Tomorrow could also be tough ... hanging out with friends in the evening ... we usually get dinner ... we are going to eat before we leave and hopefully stand firm in no spending!
If it gets tough, you could always say you just ate, but suggest a place like Chipotle or something. (Something semi-fast food, but nicer atmosphere than McDonald's) Then, you could share a dessert or drink while your friends eat. Not better than no spend, but not quite as akward either!

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page