August No-Spend Challenge -- Congratulations no-spenders!!!! You made it to the end! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1106 Old 07-25-2007, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread is a support thread to help you ~not spend your money~. Everyone is welcome to join (we would love to have you) and you are welcome to start at any time. It doesn't have to be August 1st.

The plan is simple (although very tough to execute):

1. Vow not to spend any money on unnecessary purchases.

2. Come on here everyday and record your spending.

3. If you think that you absolutely MUST buy something, come on here and tell us about it first. Sometimes taking the time to come on here and post before you buy something will help you not buy it.

4. Provide encouragement for your fellow non-spenders and try to talk THEM out of buying things.

Good luck Ladies!! Let's have a strong August!!! Keep that money in your wallet.

ETA: Our no-spend threads tend to get very long...if you are new and considering joining us you don't need to read the entire thread (unless you want to). Just read the first three or four entries and jump right in. Start your no-spending today!

#2 of 1106 Old 07-25-2007, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Some caveats...

*Groceries, utilities, clothing for you and your family, transportation...these things are necessary. You don't need to record things like that.

*Only YOU can determine what is necessary. We are a non-judgemental group.

*Record whatever will cause YOU to spend the least. If you feel guilty about coming on here and fessing up -- then this thread is working perfectly.

*Don't get discouraged if you spend -- our goal is PROGRESS not PERFECTION. We all will spend this month...let's admit that up front...Our ideal is no-spend...but we'll be happy if you just spend less.

Please don't take an all or nothing attitude. You will see progress if you stick with us...I promise you that.

*If you have time to read everyone else's post and do personals, hurray! That helps our thread do its job...but if you don't have time, then just post your tallies. We have plenty of successful no-spenders who do only that. All are welcome!

#3 of 1106 Old 07-25-2007, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of August. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?

#4 of 1106 Old 07-25-2007, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

1. My name is Prudence and I'm a SAHM with two daughters. I spend compulsively on things that I do not need. I know this. I'm trying to change my habits.

2a. My husband is a teacher -- we have no income during the summer. So every dime I spend comes from our savings. Oy vey.

2b. Our mortgage is over 50% of our income. We bought a house that is too big for our budget. A mistake that we can rectify by living frugally, well within our means. This means watching every penny.

2c. We want to have another child -- so we need to save money now because expenses are looming on the horizon (happy expenses!)

3. My game plan:

- Come on here and post everyday

- Carry precious little cash in my wallet...if I have to come home and get money to buy something, usually I change my mind and don't buy it

- Stay O*F*F the internet shopping websites diaperswappers and ebay

- When I want to purchase something, I'm going to write it down and give myself a 24 hour breather period to decide if we really NEED it.

Goal to beat my previous records:

May= 19 no-spend days and $265 frittered away
June = 19 no-spend days and $394 in frivolous spending
July = 15 no-spend days and $580 in frivolous spending

#5 of 1106 Old 07-25-2007, 09:49 PM

Ok, I am joining you for August.

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

My name is Katie, I live in Seattle. I am married with a 4 year old son. My spouse is a student (pharmacy) and I run a non-profit organization. We live in Seattle. We would like to have another child soon and I had my mirena out in April so wishing for 2 pink lines some time.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of August. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.

We are financially pretty fortunate- I have a good income, we don't have debt (no cars notes, no credit card debt, unpaid bills etc) and we have an affordable mortgage. However, in a couple of days I will have a family of five more that will be living with us for awhile. They (my brother, his wife and three kids) are in a financial bind and ended up basically homeless in Florida. So they are moving here to seek better jobs. I will be helping them find some transitional housing here through my work etc. But that means 8 people to feed and pay the utility bill for! And we already paid for bus tickets, food for their trip, etc. And they could be here awhile! So I want to cut out other things to help accommodate that. Thankfully, my other brother is willing and able to help with the costs a bit. My goal is to not dip into savings for the month and still put almost as much as we normally do into savings. The one exception is my dental appointments in August, which total over $2000 (root canal, crown! Yay! ) so that is coming from savings.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?

I am making a list of low cost meal ideas I think they will like (they are picky, mostly my brother and SIL) and of free activities or activities that are already paid for. For example, we belong to the Children's Museum and I can bring 4 guests each time so my SIL and all of the kids can do that. Also, we can get movies from my other brother who owns about 500 DVDs and also from the library etc. I am going to carry less cash than I normally do and use my debit card for groceries rather than carry that much cash. Also, instead of totaling up my grocery receipts monthly like I normally do, I am going to do it as often as I go and try to hold it to under $600 for 7/27-the end of August for 8 plus the constant stream of other visitors (like my parents and my other brother-so often dinner will be for 12!). Right now we spend around $300 a month for 3 people with nearly all organics and a lot of guests. Some of that attention to organics will be trimmed carefully or else I will spend far too much. We have already planned to spend on some needed items- school clothes for my niece and nephew for example and on some items that will help the kids (who have had a hard time recently) have some fun and start to feel acclimated to Seattle- swimming passes, cheap baseball tickets, fun baking projects, camping reservations.

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.
#6 of 1106 Old 07-26-2007, 12:48 AM

i'm sarah, SAHM to dd(2).

i need to save because we currently don't make enough to pay our bills. my il-laws are loaning us money each month but august is the last month. dh is hoping to get a promotion in august or september so that should fix it so we can at least pay our own bills (hoping for late july, though). i also want to speed up paying off my student loan.

my plan is to track grooceries as well as non-essentials because: we eat organic, i tend to buy stuff on sale, and i eat when stressed so i add to our grocery bill buying unnecessary food. i will be getting better about this because i'm finally starting to admit to myself that i feel like crap when i eat any chocolate (i think i'm allergic).

i will be taking dd to petting zoo/pony rides 1x this month so i'm stating up front i'm budgeting 20 for that day.

frugal plan:

go to ap/crunchy/homeschool playgroups within 30 minutes of our house
continue hang/rack drying clothes
keep using fans instead of a/c as much as possible
keep a/c at at least 80 when in use
stick to grocery list!
finally make some family cloth (this was on july's list too : )
sell more stuff on ebay

sarah
#7 of 1106 Old 07-26-2007, 01:19 AM

I am joining for August!

1. My name is Eryn and I am married and have a miracle child who is 10!

2. I want to move back to my home state and to be able to afford the house I want. In order to do that we have to pay down a lot of debt that I racked up because of my spending habits.

3. My plan is to come on here everyday and hold my self accountable for what I spend. When I started on the July thread I would have never imagined how much posting would help me with my spending habits! Thanks mama's!
#8 of 1106 Old 07-26-2007, 03:01 AM

We're a family of four. Me, hubby, 4 1/2 year old daughter and 2 1/2 year old son. We live in the San Francisco Bay Area.

We are going to be cutting $35,000 -$50,000 from our yearly budget due to an exciting job change for my husband. While this has the oppertunity to be very financially beneficial in the long run, in the short term, it means a loss of income for now. This means we need to cut all frivilous spending.

I plan to stay out of stores unless I have a specific, and real need, there.

When I do shop, it will be with a list, and I'll get only what is on the list.

We will only eat out once a week. Otherwise I will do a kick ass job of menu planning and packing snacks and lunches when we are on the go!
#9 of 1106 Old 07-26-2007, 05:21 AM

I'm cheating--I'm basically C&P from July because my reasons are the same!!!I've edited as necessary!! Let's hope I do MUCH better than last month!!:

Hi! I'm Susan, we've recently moved to O'ahu and DH is active duty and has recently deployed until next summer. (though I might be able to see him for a bit in October!)

1-I need to save money for home repairs instead of stressing out over every little repair (including regular maintenance).
2-I want to pay off our credit card debt. We don't have that much but I still hate it.
3-Get said C/C's paid off and start Roth IRA for me since I don't work outside the home. Also save for travel, we want to go to either Rome or Japan next summer/fall.
4-Finally and most important, to get outselves out of the paycheck to paycheck habit that has plagued us our whole marriage. I want to stop wasting money on fast food and junk. We make good money but basically squander it away.

--avoid the mall, Walmart and gulp...Goodwill too!!
--avoid online shopping unless it is a "NEED" and then only if I can find free shipping or coupons to go with it, LOL.
--create a meal plan to avoid runs to the minimart or Walmart
--Stay strong against impulse buys!!!

(I personally do not like Walmart but the grocery stores here are nuts for personal care products, which is what I am usually picking up at Walmart!)
#10 of 1106 Old 07-26-2007, 08:30 AM

Howdy, I'm Jenny, a SAHM to one wacky 3.5 year old little girl.

Because I have still not broken the spending addiction. I want to be in control of shopping impulses. I will be doing this every month until it's a habit.

*Stop shopping for recreation.
*Track grocery spending more closely.
*Only go out to eat when my husband insists on it.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#11 of 1106 Old 07-26-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post
I'm Ann. DH and I have 4 kids, and we recently moved out to the country.

Quote:
First off, my goal is merely to spend significantly less this month, not cut it to zero. I would like to cut back this month because moving and doing a few home improvements was expensive. We dipped into our savings more than I wanted to, and I need to replentish our savings account. We don't have any debt other than our mortgage, and I intend to keep it that way.

Quote:
1. Cut back on eating out and takeout. We'll go out to eat or get takeout 1-2 times/week. I'd like to say once a week, but I just don't know if that's realistic for my family right now. For the past few weeks, I've been making more cuisine than just plain meals, which helps me not to feel deprived (but does add to the grocery bill).
2. Stay out of stores- like everyone else. Staying out of stores will also help me save $ and resources on gas, since we now live in the country and it's a 30 minute drive to large stores.
3. Plan more activities with my kids- hiking, going to the beach, etc. When it's hot, it's good for us to get out of the house and DO something- otherwise I want to drive around with the A/C on in the van and go shopping to stay cool (no A/C in the house- another reason we're trying to pad the savings account). It's better for me to spend a few bucks on admission to the city pool than it is for me to go to Target to cool off and spend $100 while I'm there.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#12 of 1106 Old 07-26-2007, 03:24 PM

Hi, I'm Lindsay. DH is Chris. We have three kids - ages 5, 20 months, and 10 days! I am a recovering compulsive shopper (seriously) and have changed my ways *so* much already, but I still find myself spending small amounts of money here and there on things we could definitely live without.

I am on maternity leave for the entire month of August, and I can already see that it is going to be sooo tempting to go out shopping or doing other costly activities every day to avoid boredom. My DH and I have a goal to be completely out of debt (other than mortgage & vehicles) by January 1, so I really need to watch my spending for the rest of the year to help us accomplish this goal. (DH is hopeless, with all his expensive hobbies, but *I* want to do better myself.)

Here are my goals for the rest of July/August:
1. Only spend $150 on DS's school clothes. This is about $100 less than what I normally spend.
2. Only spend $100 on my back-to-work clothes. (I donated almost all of my prepregnancy clothes, so I'll need a few things when I return to work September 2.)
3. NO other Internet purchases besides the clothes mentioned above.
4. Stay out of the stores! Only ONE grocery/household shopping trip each week, and stick to my list very carefully.
5. Get back to more detailed meal planning to help with my grocery bill.
6. We're only eating out in a restaurant once a week, and take-out once a week. (This is drastically less than we have been doing.)

I think that should do it for me. I hope I can stick to this!
#13 of 1106 Old 07-26-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Helllooo. I'm Rose, I have a 1 3/4 year old and a 2 1/2 month old. My partner Jason and I both work; about 40 hours a week for him and 28 to 35 hours a week for me.

Quote:
The reason is two-fold. Jason was just laid off from his main job (construction) as well as his side job (restaurant work). He is interviewing right now and we are very confident he will start work on Monday, but I want to make sure that we are going to be okay. The other reason is that I want us to be out of debt by the start of the year so that we can start saving for our WEDDING!!

Quote:
I am planning on cutting up my credit cards on July 31st. I am not going to Wal-Mart anymore. If I desperately need something there, I will send a friend with a list. We will go to Costco once this month, with two crisp $100 bills. That will be all that we will spend there. We will also meal plan and make sure that each week we are eating a few meals that are lower cost foods. I will also dutifully report every darn penny to you ladies.
#14 of 1106 Old 07-26-2007, 05:39 PM

I could really use some support at this point, so I am glad I found this thread.
I'm Rebecca sahm to dd(1.5 years old) with 1 on the way in October. My dh works full time and is raking in overtime right now as a carpenter. He also works a lot of side jobs refinishing peoples homes and building furniture.

~We just bought a house and are moving in this weekend and the mortgage is a lot bigger than our last, so I need to work out a new budget with that and new utilities.
~Our car broke down a few days ago and it is the transmission, so we need to put some $ aside for a down payment on a new one for next summer and fix the current one as inexpensively as possible
~We've been eating out a lot while getting ready to move and this has got to stop. We also need to restock pretty much everything once we get into the new house.
~My sis is getting married in October and I am hosting the shower and I need to save up some more for that, the tux rental for dh, their gifts, etc.
~New baby coming in October

~Use cloth diapers on dd 100% of the time. I've been slacking a lot lately because we've been so busy.
~Plan my meals ahead of time and make them during dd's nap
~eat out less
~stop the mdc co-ops
~only use the home depot gift cards we have and not go buy a bunch of stuff for the new house.
~watch the leaving on of lights/computers because we will no longer be on the budget plan and will be paying in full every month

I think that about covers it.

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
#15 of 1106 Old 07-26-2007, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I really need to join you all.

I'm a sahm to three kiddos (dd10, dd4 & ds8 months) and dh is a sous chef. We just moved from Texas to NY which is a lot more expensive, so even though dh makes significantly more here, we're still not making as much as we need to pay off debt and save.

--We're moving into a new house next week (currently living with my inlaws) and we'll need to stick to a strict budget to afford all the moving expenses.
--We want to own a house one day, and we need to improve our credit and save a down payment in order to achieve this goal.
--We are sick of living from paycheck to paycheck and stressing out over bills, and I know that part of our problem is that we spend too much on things we don't really need.

--No eating out or fast food, period.
--Make a menu and grocery list and stick to it.
--Cloth diaper full time.
--Line dry at least 90% of the time.
--Stay home as much as possible.
--Keep a/c use to a minimum.
--Buy NOTHING online.
--Record every single purchase for the entire month.
--NO unnecessary spending at all.
Big goals! I hope I can stay motivated.
#16 of 1106 Old 07-27-2007, 01:09 AM

I'm going to take the plunge!

1. Hi everyone, my name is Amber. I've been lurking for a long time, and I'm finally ready to try a no spending challenge. I'm a sahm to two girls, Maddison and Arwen (4.5 and 3.5) and Finn, our first boy who is a month old

2. I need to do this because I think I have a shopping problem. We all know the little stuff adds up and I 'treat myself' far too often. Well, almost daily. We have quite a bit of medical debt, and because of a complicated pregnancy I had to drop out of school, leaving me to foot the bill previously covered by financial aid. So to get back to school next fall, I need to pay off that bill. I am tired of being stressed about money and I think this will help me.

3. My plan:
No daily trips to get coffee or other junky foods
No eating out
Cook all of our meals at home
Make a list, and stick to it
No unnecessary shopping trips
Find fun and free things to keep the girls busy
Think before I buy - especially cloth diapers for Finn

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#17 of 1106 Old 07-27-2007, 02:37 AM

1. My name is Kim; our family includes DH, DD (3.5) + DS (10 mo.). I am PT sahm/PT wahm/PT wohm for a nonprofit; kiddos are with DH when I go to the office, so our schedules are pretty full. Joined the June no-spend and did relatively well; July...not so much; hopefully August will be an improvement.

2. We recently bought another house, and I want to quickly erase the HELOC used on our first house (renting out) to meet downpayment. Also, will be working a lot for the next few weeks; things will relax after a big event in August. More work = more stress = less time...resulting in buying more "quick" (i.e. expensive) food, "treating" myself for working so much, buying stuff for kids out of guilt b/c I will be working too much.

3. Game plan:
* Be aware of work/spend cycle and try to mitigate
* Stay OUT of Target
* No more McD (perhaps I should pull up nutritional info. on my fries + "strawberry" shake...)
* Minimize trips to the Co-op; our grocery budget will thank me
* Try a waiting period for purchases
* Work out a meal plan + try to stick to it a majority of the time
* Pack snacks + water whenever we go out

GOALS:
* Less than $200 in frivolous spending
* At least 20 days (no spending or spending within established parameters - necessary, in budget, or unavoidable)

Good luck everyone!!!!!!!!!

Kim
#18 of 1106 Old 07-27-2007, 03:49 AM

I'm Tiffany, a long-time lurker. I'm a young mom to my 15 month old son. I'm living off student loans and plan to for the next four years until my degree is done. I love couponing and saving money

I've officially stocked myself up on "good deals" and would really like to stop and just use the stock now. I also always seem to spend way too much in the first two weeks of the month, and then have to stretch my dollars for the last two weeks. It's frustrating.

I'm not trying to cut ALL unnecessary spending, but I do want to cut the spending that I won't miss once it's gone. As a single mom that rarely gets out of the house, I will allow a small entertainment budget for going to a movie or out for coffee. But I need to cut all the other 'extras' - junk food, Starbucks, random toys for ds, and all those other things that eat up my budget. I need to focus on "DOING rather than SPENDING"!

I'm a bit worried that I'm going to post this and then ignore it completely. : I've known for a while now that I need to slow down on the spending, but I've resisted anyways. Here's to actually not spending in August!
#19 of 1106 Old 07-27-2007, 04:45 AM

My name is Pam. I'm a SAHW/childcare provider for my friend. We are currently childless but are TTC.

We are not in debt and do live within our means. We are able to save a good bit of money every month. I'm sure most people would be more than happy with this situation, yet I still feel like we waste money. Our recurring expenses are high, so I just want to reduce the money we waste. I'd also like to adjust our spending so that when we (hopefully) get pregnant we will be spending what we do now so that we can continue to save what we do now.

I won't be no spending, just reduced spending. For that my goals are:

~Eat out a maximum of 4 times a month and/or once a week. Right now DH is out of town on business during the week and comes home on the weekends, so I've resorted to eating out all weekend to maximize my time with him. Instead, I will buy convenience foods(I know, not healthy but it's the weekend!) for when he is home so that I can still spend time with him and save some money

~No buying clothes unless using gift cards I already have. I don't spend a lot on clothes but I don't need to spend anything- I have plenty. I haven't bought any in over a month, though.

~Utilizing what free activities that we have access to. We already do this but we could do it more-we have nice tennis equipment and free tennis court access, free movies on base, a free seaworld pass, and year passes to the zoo. I also make sure to bring drinks and snacks to the zoo so we don't waste money on that.

We bought the tennis equipment last month as an anniversary gift to each other this month, so no more money will be spent on that. I won't put a limit on my DH's birthday gift because he always spoils me on mine and rarely spends money on himself. I can't imagine him wanting anything terribly expensive, though.

Whew, that was longer than I thought! Good luck all!
#20 of 1106 Old 07-27-2007, 01:49 PM

My name is Carla and this will be my third month. I am a SAHM to 2 great kids (although I am babysitting 4 kids over the summer. Please hurry up, September!!).

We are trying to save our money so we can buy a house with cash. We are on track for saving, but I know we can do better. Our biggest challenge, DH works part time at a grocery store and we are living on very, very little.

I am going to plan what I buy. We have a family reunion in August so we will have to travel. I will also take this opportunity to do some bulk shopping and buy things more cheaply than I get things here. I will also be drawn in by back to school sales (my favorite!!). I will set a budget for the things we need, some things we want and try to control things a bit better. Oh and I need shoes (as in I NEED shoes before I am walking on bare ground, lol!) so if a good sale comes up, I have to take advantage

Food is also becoming a pit for us since doubling the mouths we feed (which is barely covered by my babysitting money). I will try to plan what we eat (meal plan) and be more frugal when it comes to food. Other than travel, I want to stop the eating out.

I can't think of much else. If I don't post days at a time, don't worry. I'll be back hopefully with tales of victory! I don't intend to go no spend, just smart spend!
#21 of 1106 Old 07-27-2007, 03:18 PM

I'm Nadia, SAHM to 3 kids: dd is 4, ds is 2.5, and my youngest ds is 7 weeks.

I want our money to go further so we can do the things we want with it (give more, do some updates on the house, more retirement savings) instead of having it slip thorugh our fingers on all the little things we buy.

I want to make more conscious choices about my spending. I want to teach my kids how to prioritze things and in order to be able to do that, I must be able to exhibit restraint and prioritize myself.

~Plan more outings to parks, etc so we can get out of the hosue w/o spending money
~NOT go to any store (esp Target!) w/o a specific list of items and a rough estimate of how much it will cost to buy them.
~Keep track of everything, even what I buy with my spending cash. It really isn't the 'free money' I treat it as sometimes.

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#22 of 1106 Old 07-27-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:

1. I'm Laura. I have a two month old and a toddler so going out to stores is no longer a problem I have been selling stuff on ebay & almost unvariably the paypal money ends up going toward buying something (unecessary) on ebay. I'd like to sell more stuff this month, but I'll need a gameplan to avoid spending monty there.

2. I just want more $ to put toward debt.

3. My plan
* Only go to buy gas & Grocies on Fridays. Use a list & stick to the list. Only grocery shop in a grocery store (for me impulse purchaces almost never happen there)
*Sell on ebay, but do not check in there. Questions should come to my email. After shipping send the money to my bank account.
*Spend at least three days a week in the gym. (this might not seem related, but it is for me. It keeps me busy and gives my self esteem a boost.)

ETA one more.
I will use my cloth diapers more, though I can't commit to full time. I have three packages of diapers for the baby. I will not buy more.
For the toddler I have one package of pull ups & I just opened one. After his morning poop I will have him diaperless more.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#23 of 1106 Old 07-27-2007, 07:27 PM

Aloha
1. I am stacy a SAHM of 4year old and 4 1/2 month old. I have just learned how to sell on e-bay and TP so I amd trying to do that to get rid of what we don't need.
2. My dh job is very seasonal so when its good it good and when its bad its bad. We have yet to ever save enough to do better then just scrape by in the winter. I want to pay more on CC while the fishing is good and buy plane tickets to NC for the kids and I to visit family.
3. *Better meal planning
*Groceries only once a week with list
* No walmart runs
*Stay home more to save on Gas
* try to make weekly payment on CC

I use cloth full time already and I line dry everything, I also have electronics on power strips that we turn off.

I have company coming but I will resist going out to eat with them and pack a cooler to take to the pool and beach.

*I have a coupon for a Brita so i will get that and 2 water bottles to save us from buying cases of bottled water

* I will allow myself to buy shoes for everyone except baby in the family with cash only.
* I will allow myself 1 icecream or smoothie a week
#24 of 1106 Old 07-27-2007, 08:28 PM

Hello, my name is Chloe. I am mostly a stay at home mom to my eight month old daughter. I am also starting out as a birth doula, but am not doing paid gigs yet and only one or two births per month. Since moving into our first unfurnished place, My partner and I always seem to have something we *need* to buy... blinds, book shelves, cleaning supplies, vacuum cleaner... these things add up quickly. We always end up making our major purchase in the first week of each month when we get our money, and are usually broke for the last week of every month, which perpetuates the cycle because it makes us want to spend a lot as soon as we arent broke again.

We are horrible with grocery shopping. This is another one of our major downfalls. We invested in a CSA share this summer and it's not working out well for us, because we like a variety in our food and it seems we're getting insane amounts of lettuce and zucchini and about half of it ends up going bad no matter how many salads we try to eat. We also hate doing large shopping trips, its just stressful for both of us and so we end up making trips to the supermarket much too frequently. We try to go to the market because it is a lot cheaper, but we're addicted to the convenience and proximity of the supermarket. And we both have our expensive habits... chips for him, diet pepsi for me.

There are some other bad habits (thrift store addict!), but I can tell you more as the month progresses...

A) We want to move into a house next year and with the way we're spending money, it's not going to happen.
B) We want to invest in a good washer and dryer because we hate the laundromat and it's very expensive in the long run.
C) I'm starting up my own business, and this requires an initial investment before I start bringing in more money. My partner is living largely off of student loans, so that money is going to have to be paid back one day.
D) I come from a very materialistic family and although I am very different from my family in so many ways, I still have that materialistic mindset imprinted into me somewhat and sometimes I have to really try to work against that. I want to live simply. I want to let go of that aspect of myself.

A) Instead of purchasing expensive items that I need brand new, try to shop around more, look on freecycle, craigslist, kijiji and ask family members if they have something lying around in their garage first.
B) Plan meals around my food box, and finish whats in that before making additional purchases. Go to the market at least once per week for food with a plan for what to buy, and if I must go to the supermarket, walk.
C) No more impulsive purchases or emotional shopping.
D) Ask myself it I truly need what I will buy, and if spending extra money on something is an investment or just purely luxury.
E) Cut the chips, pepsi and other expensive bad habits.
F) When thrifting, ask myself if I am really getting something I need for a deal or am just feeding my thrift addiction and putting more junk into my house.
G) When buying something new, try to sell something else unneeded to balance (ie we will sell our DD's old car seat and are buying another used one from craigslist)
#25 of 1106 Old 07-27-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
28, married, apartment-dweller in a smallish resort town, cat lover, full-time hospital worker. No children yet.

Quote:
DH and I are working Dave Ramsey's plan (albeit with some flexibility) and we still need $500 more in our Baby EF which we need to finish in August. Aside from that piece, we want to get out of debt and start throwing $$$$ at retirement savings so we can take advantage of the compound interest.

Quote:
We use a Zero-Based budget for each pay period (works better for us than the month) and we use cash for auto gas, groceries and blow money - once it's gone it's gone and there's no more until the new cycle. I track everything we spend in a small notebook, bargain shop and shoot for NO SPEND days. Luckily, we live in the most beautiful place on the planet (lol!) so just being outside is a good time.
#26 of 1106 Old 07-27-2007, 10:53 PM

1.Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

Hello all! My name is Katherine and I have a loving dh (of 8yrs)and the most beautiful dd who just turned 2. My husband is in the military so we are poor! I am also a SAHM, which I think can be part of the reason that I over spend. I tend to go shopping, primary overpriced baby boutiques, and local “discount” clothing stores such as T.J. Max, when I get bored or I get feed up with trying to save money which seems like it will never happed. I’m a total impulse buyer as well. If something is on sale I’ll totally get it because a bright flashy sign says sale. I tend to blow money without even realizing it until its too late and our bank account reads $0.00.

I have decided not to spend any money this month, other than on grocies and bills to see if I can really do it and to get ahead for once.

I know that I must avoid the mall and all clothing stores. I must ask if it’s a need or a want. It will be even harder this month because my horrible money hungry mother in law is coming for a visit and she believes that we should take her shopping and wine and dine her. This really ticks me off too because we don’t have the extra money to do these things and she knows this but she is worse off than we are and she plays on that. But I know that you all can defiantly help me threw this and if I can make it through this month than it will only get easier. I look forward to working with yall!
#27 of 1106 Old 07-27-2007, 11:46 PM

Well I'm in after a very useful July challenge.
1) I'm a SAHM to a 4 yr old and 8 month old. Do family business bookkeeping after kids are asleep. We have a seasonal business and have to budget our money for the year. This year with added expences it will be very difficult. This group in July helped me trim the budget and save hundreds. It also set me on the path of paying attention to everything invovling money which lead me to make choices that really helped as well. (like moving cc to lower interest rate etc)

2)my goal is to break even and not have to put any major expensenss on cc.

3) Meal planning (this really works), packing food and water when I leave house, Leaving cc in freezer, staying away from ebay unless I'm selling something, sell some things on craigslist. take advantage of free things to do with the kids like going to the beach, be resourceful.
#28 of 1106 Old 07-28-2007, 12:34 AM

I'm feeling chatty. I know rosie + one :. . .lindsay/becoming, do I know you? How old is your babe?

I went grocery shopping today and underestimated. Oops. Nothing was un-necessary (except maybe the household de-oderizers--but that's subjective & you haven't smelled my house )
I ended up spending $112. I won't be going again until next Friday. That shoudn't be a problem though.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#29 of 1106 Old 07-28-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:

1. I am Jenn, a SAHM to Evan who is 4 and Teigan who is 7 months. We try to live simply, but are looking for ways to improve. My husband, over the past few years, has switched jobs taking a big pay cut, but now receives benefits/retirement. I usually work nights in the summer, but took this year off. Thanks to my husband's influence, I am already pretty frugal, but still need help toning down unneeded spending...

2.We have our house under renovation/addition and it sucks all of our money. So I would really like to put as much money I can into it to finish, since my daughter keeps asking when her "big girl room" will be ready..So cutting out all extra spending will be great. July is our worst month with car insurance, property taxes, and things like that coming due.. So we will need to tighten our belts for August.

3.I spend the most on food and I will have a hard time here b/c I want to buy everything organic and it is just too expensive..I will focus on getting the important things organic (like dairy and produce) and try to be creative with planning meals and cooking things so that the leftovers can be used to make the next dinner.

I also want to become an expert ebay seller...I've only sold something once and think I have lots of things to sell..

Finally, hope to try and cut down on our use of the dryer and a/c. Luckily, we live at the beach where it is a bit breezy...

Ok, here goes...
#30 of 1106 Old 07-28-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICKLEDPINK View Post
My name is Katherine and I have a loving dh (of 8yrs)and the most beautiful dd who just turned 2. My husband is in the military so we are poor!
Hello to another military mama!!! I take it your DH is AF? We are Navy and just PCSed from Jax!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page