Poor Families Support Thread August 07 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 272 Old 08-17-2007, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyLizards View Post
That sounds great! All of it. I think working in a bakery sounds like a lot of fun. I'm studying Education at college. Either Elementary or Secondary, haven't quite decided yet. That way dd and I will have the same vacation schedule, for the most part, as she gets older.
That's a good plan. I'd have considered teaching, too, but being in charge of other people's kids intimidates me. I'm sure having a degree from a more prestigious school will help in that field a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 272 Old 08-17-2007, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotsupernanny View Post
I'm new to this thread so need to catch up a little it seems.

So we come here if we're poor and we make some goals on how to make our money last or get out of debt?

Sounds good to me. I could use some new ideas!

My name is Michelle and I just started a new nanny job. I'm single (see my sig though) and I have about $5000 in debt! I really want to be debt free by December (see my sig for the reason) !!

Good luck getting debt free. That's my dream, but it's a looong time off for me. It's almost all student loans, though, so I guess that's better than cc debt...but still, $40,000 in debt is pretty bad.
#123 of 272 Old 08-17-2007, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We don't give gifts for the holidays. We do things with or for people instead, and if they can't/don't want to accept that as "good enough,"--like my ILs who are literally rich but don't help *anyone* out or accept gifts that aren't expensive!--then that isn't my problem. I'd rather "deprive" others of gifts than my family of food, clothing, shelter, diapers, etc.

Congrats on the bakery job!
#124 of 272 Old 08-17-2007, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
This thread needed to be bumped!

I got exciting news. Despite being flat broke, I will be starting classes at a very expensive private college in two weeks. They offered me full financial aid that completely covers my tuition. Unfortunately I will have to use student loans to pay day care, but I think this college will look impressive when I'm applying for jobs.

to everyone!

#125 of 272 Old 08-17-2007, 10:00 PM

Ok I think I know how this works now and have thought of some goals for August.

1) Ask new employer for schedule. (new job and schedule for both of us)

2) Figure out how much I'll earn each week.

3) Firgure out HOW I should spend the money,which bill should it go on first?

4) Keep up with the housework. Having a messy place makes me feel "poor and dirty".

5) Shop at the end of the week at the good grocery store. I can eat at work during the week for the most part.

6) Find another client to clean for on the weekends,since I just lost the one I had.
#126 of 272 Old 08-18-2007, 12:02 AM

My 5 year old had her tonsils out today. She is doing okay, but was crying really hard when I had to leave with my 2 younger daughters. I have a one year old that just cannot be without me at night yet. Peyton loves her daddy and he is sleepign with her now, but when ya feel like crap nothing replaces mommy, ya know?

I feel awful. And kinda like I deserted her. I can't wait to go pick her up in the morning.

C

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#127 of 272 Old 08-18-2007, 12:14 AM

We got the car repair paid for -- paid for in the sense that we put it on the credit card, though. : We were able to send off a check to the CC company to cover half the repair bill and the groceries and moving stuff, so by next week it should be paid off -- God willing and the creek don't rise. . I can't stand to let anything get a finance charge on that card, since it's like 25% APR. Unfortunately, the mechanic found MORE damage on the back wheels, so we'll have to find the money in the budget to pay for those before the snow flies.

On the other hand, I got a call back for the job I was interviewing for last month that I didn't get. The other candidate dropped out and now they want to hire me. : I have NO IDEA what to do. It's a job that would seriously pull us out of poverty -- a salary that puts stars in DH's eyes, good benefits, stable line of work. But their last offer was 6 weeks of maternity leave -- paid, at 70% of my salary, which is great. But just 6 weeks. I need to talk to their human resources person on monday, and see if there's any room for negotiation or flexibility -- maybe going back part time, or working from home with the baby or something. But until then, the stress is just freakin' me out. My poor person self is saying "OMG! Economic security! Savings! Cars that run! Montessori Preschool! Paying down student loans! Career building experience! Wowie!" and wants to jump and run around and scream in happiness. My mama self is saying "You'd be paying someone else to spend their afternoons snuggling your newborn... YOU want to do that. You only get a few chances to have a baby that small to love, and you can't give that up for money!" and "Can you fully BF a baby if you go back full time at 6 weeks?" and all sorts of terrible questions.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#128 of 272 Old 08-18-2007, 12:15 AM

Quote:
This thread needed to be bumped!

I got exciting news. Despite being flat broke, I will be starting classes at a very expensive private college in two weeks. They offered me full financial aid that completely covers my tuition. Unfortunately I will have to use student loans to pay day care, but I think this college will look impressive when I'm applying for jobs.

to everyone!
Congratulations I am so happy for you....
#129 of 272 Old 08-18-2007, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursingnaturalmom View Post
My 5 year old had her tonsils out today. She is doing okay, but was crying really hard when I had to leave with my 2 younger daughters. I have a one year old that just cannot be without me at night yet. Peyton loves her daddy and he is sleepign with her now, but when ya feel like crap nothing replaces mommy, ya know?

I feel awful. And kinda like I deserted her. I can't wait to go pick her up in the morning.

C
Poor girl! I had mine out when I was 8 and it was tough but it *really* helped. I hope she feels better soon.

Belleweather, that job sounds awesome! I hope they will work with you on maternity leave! I am so excited for you!

I talked to dh about me getting a job yesterday. Not for long. He was extremely unwelcome to it. We finally are in a good pace of life with me being a SAHM and he wants me to stay one. He's a teacher, so our lives change every couple of months and me having a job is really not feasible. I agree, but I just really wish I could bring in money.

As for some good news, our cc limit went up so I can buy some dipes and mama pads! I need to get around to it! The next couple of months are gonna be crazy with holidays, birthdays, homeschooling, and the baby coming! I also got ahold of a hs co-op here in town and for about $20-30 I can sign the kids up for the co-op and get them in some classes for free to $5! And I need to go today and see if I can get the YMCA to do sliding scale for us to join. I hate going and asking about things like that, but we need to! The kids need somewhere to vent their energy!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#130 of 272 Old 08-18-2007, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

I sure know what I'd do Belleweather... But you need to figure out what you really feel comfortable with and do that.
#131 of 272 Old 08-18-2007, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursingnaturalmom View Post

C
Hope she's feeling better... Poor kid! And poor mama!
#132 of 272 Old 08-18-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleweather View Post
We got the car repair paid for -- paid for in the sense that we put it on the credit card, though. : We were able to send off a check to the CC company to cover half the repair bill and the groceries and moving stuff, so by next week it should be paid off -- God willing and the creek don't rise. . I can't stand to let anything get a finance charge on that card, since it's like 25% APR. Unfortunately, the mechanic found MORE damage on the back wheels, so we'll have to find the money in the budget to pay for those before the snow flies.

On the other hand, I got a call back for the job I was interviewing for last month that I didn't get. The other candidate dropped out and now they want to hire me. : I have NO IDEA what to do. It's a job that would seriously pull us out of poverty -- a salary that puts stars in DH's eyes, good benefits, stable line of work. But their last offer was 6 weeks of maternity leave -- paid, at 70% of my salary, which is great. But just 6 weeks. I need to talk to their human resources person on monday, and see if there's any room for negotiation or flexibility -- maybe going back part time, or working from home with the baby or something. But until then, the stress is just freakin' me out. My poor person self is saying "OMG! Economic security! Savings! Cars that run! Montessori Preschool! Paying down student loans! Career building experience! Wowie!" and wants to jump and run around and scream in happiness. My mama self is saying "You'd be paying someone else to spend their afternoons snuggling your newborn... YOU want to do that. You only get a few chances to have a baby that small to love, and you can't give that up for money!" and "Can you fully BF a baby if you go back full time at 6 weeks?" and all sorts of terrible questions.
Could you do job share with someone else or do you need the total of the salary to make it?
#133 of 272 Old 08-18-2007, 05:53 PM

I seriously love this thread! Thanks for the congratulations everyone.

Wow, Belleweather, that is such a hard decision! I would be so confused in your situation. The job sounds really awesome though. And, although we would miss you very much in the "poor mamas" thread, how great would it be to not have to worry about that anymore? Good luck as you decide.

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
#134 of 272 Old 08-18-2007, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

I feel kind of embarrassed for posting this b/c it seems so stupid/small. But I'm happy about it nonetheless, and if there's a group here who'll understand, it's you ladies! So anyway, I submitted a couple articles for review today, which means I'll probably be paid for them. With the way I've been feeling since DS was born (like total and like my life is a huge waste ), I haven't been able to work much. But today's been a good day. I just hope it continues that way!
#135 of 272 Old 08-18-2007, 07:43 PM

No way, mrskennedy, that's definitely big and not stupid. That sounds great, actually! Congratulations!

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
#136 of 272 Old 08-18-2007, 09:20 PM

mrskennedy, and congrats on the articles! Good luck!

#137 of 272 Old 08-18-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskennedy View Post
I feel kind of embarrassed for posting this b/c it seems so stupid/small. But I'm happy about it nonetheless, and if there's a group here who'll understand, it's you ladies! So anyway, I submitted a couple articles for review today, which means I'll probably be paid for them. With the way I've been feeling since DS was born (like total and like my life is a huge waste ), I haven't been able to work much. But today's been a good day. I just hope it continues that way!
Yay! That's completely awesome! I'm absolutely in awe of anyone who can write and make money at it, so that's hugely impressive to me.

Right now, I'm thinking I'm likely to take the job. It's a really, really hard thing to say no to. I'm really terrified of getting debilitating PPD again and of the experience I had trying to pump for DS (terrible pump resistance, to the point where my body would rather leak than let down for the pump. Lots of weight loss and hunger for little DS, lots of mastitis, pain and demoralizing sadness for me), so I'm going to talk to their HR Lady on Monday and really push for more leave, even if it's unpaid. But I'm thinking I'll take it either way.

I'd really hoped that DH would be employed full-time and that we'd have enough savings for me to take a more substantial maternity leave (my plan was to keep this temp job until they hired someone, and then take 4-5 months off during which time we'd live on DH's salary) but frankly, I don't know who I was kidding or what I was smoking to think that was possible! DH is STILL not working full-time or earning all that much, all our savings is gone and we're still not building it up between car repairs and paying off debts and other emergencies. I don't know where I thought the money would come from other than the magical mythical money tree, but it just isn't there. Which makes the whole job decision far easier... because if I lost this temp job, who knows whether I'd be able to get another one when I want one?

#138 of 272 Old 08-19-2007, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Yay! That's completely awesome! I'm absolutely in awe of anyone who can write and make money at it, so that's hugely impressive to me.

Right now, I'm thinking I'm likely to take the job. It's a really, really hard thing to say no to. I'm really terrified of getting debilitating PPD again and of the experience I had trying to pump for DS (terrible pump resistance, to the point where my body would rather leak than let down for the pump. Lots of weight loss and hunger for little DS, lots of mastitis, pain and demoralizing sadness for me), so I'm going to talk to their HR Lady on Monday and really push for more leave, even if it's unpaid. But I'm thinking I'll take it either way.

I'd really hoped that DH would be employed full-time and that we'd have enough savings for me to take a more substantial maternity leave (my plan was to keep this temp job until they hired someone, and then take 4-5 months off during which time we'd live on DH's salary) but frankly, I don't know who I was kidding or what I was smoking to think that was possible! DH is STILL not working full-time or earning all that much, all our savings is gone and we're still not building it up between car repairs and paying off debts and other emergencies. I don't know where I thought the money would come from other than the magical mythical money tree, but it just isn't there. Which makes the whole job decision far easier... because if I lost this temp job, who knows whether I'd be able to get another one when I want one?
hey mama, if ppd is a worry, you could consider saving your placenta and having it dried/capsulized. It seriously works, I did it with my last baby, and again woth this one. I had ppd so bad with my third that I didn't want to hold him or nurse him at all. Placenta also helps with pp bleeding and milk supply. lmk if you have any questions.
nak

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#139 of 272 Old 08-19-2007, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Damn! I wish I'd kept my placenta! But my mom threw it away (like it was something worthless and gross!) when she cut DS's cord (something else I didn't want her doing!), and so I didn't even have the chance to do anything with it, or even really get a good look at it.

Good luck with everything, Belleweather! Keep us updated!
#140 of 272 Old 08-19-2007, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnw826 View Post
mrskennedy, and congrats on the articles! Good luck!
Thanks! I really appreciate the encouragement and support from you ladies!
#141 of 272 Old 08-19-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamoo View Post
hey mama, if ppd is a worry, you could consider saving your placenta and having it dried/capsulized. It seriously works, I did it with my last baby, and again woth this one. I had ppd so bad with my third that I didn't want to hold him or nurse him at all. Placenta also helps with pp bleeding and milk supply. lmk if you have any questions.
nak
You're seriously like the fifth person who has suggested this to me, so I'm getting a feeling God is giving me a not-so-subtle hint. So, um... how DO you dry and capsulize a placenta?

#142 of 272 Old 08-20-2007, 04:45 PM

Hey all, I'm here I think, lol. I am finally babysitting again this week so I'm crazy busy, of course. But YAY for extra $$ coming in! I called WIC and we do qualify so I'm going down there tomorrow to get set up with that. It will be a huge pita (bc they always always question me about my eating habits and what I feed my kids) but it'll be worth it.

to all who need them. Thank you to those who've offered to help with dipes and stuff, you all are truly a blessing to me.
#143 of 272 Old 08-20-2007, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

DH is getting a translation job, though they haven't said what they're paying yet. And I might be training to become a medical transcriptionist. So maybe we'll get out of the system sooner than I thought... I hope so!

And yet I'm worried too. We have next to no money now, but we can pay the bills. But I'm afraid that the government will screw us anyway, even when we do have work. That is, SSA and welfare, well you know how they work. If you make $1 too much, you're done for. I'm afraid the money we make will disqualify us for aid--medicaid, food stamps and SS, but also mean we don't make enough to pay the bills.

But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
#144 of 272 Old 08-20-2007, 06:55 PM

I hear you about the welfare thing, mrskennedy. I know people who are fighting with this right now. But congrats about your dh getting the translator job! I am looking at the med transcription thing right now, as well as paralegal and an online/evenings nursing program. I need *something*!!!

#145 of 272 Old 08-21-2007, 12:35 AM

Quote:
You're seriously like the fifth person who has suggested this to me, so I'm getting a feeling God is giving me a not-so-subtle hint. So, um... how DO you dry and capsulize a placenta?
I am not sure how to do it myself. I have only paid to have it done. I would call around to midwives in your area and ask if they know of anyone who can do it for you, or you can go here:
www.placentabenefits.info and read more about it, and I think they might have directions or a kit, or you can send it in or soemthing. Good luck! I swear it helps.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#146 of 272 Old 08-21-2007, 12:38 AM

I got a call this morning from one of the people who I sent my resume to and they want to do an interview tommorow.The company which is in the city and this will be the first time EVER that I've taken the rail (SEPTA For those who live in Philadelphia area) They're also refusing to tell me how much they're willing to pay until the interview,so this should be interesting.. I've never had a corporate type job before and this is one of those kind of jobs, so I am super nervous. Its at 3 tommorow so we shall see how it goes
#147 of 272 Old 08-21-2007, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskennedy View Post
DH is getting a translation job, though they haven't said what they're paying yet. And I might be training to become a medical transcriptionist. So maybe we'll get out of the system sooner than I thought... I hope so!

And yet I'm worried too. We have next to no money now, but we can pay the bills. But I'm afraid that the government will screw us anyway, even when we do have work. That is, SSA and welfare, well you know how they work. If you make $1 too much, you're done for. I'm afraid the money we make will disqualify us for aid--medicaid, food stamps and SS, but also mean we don't make enough to pay the bills.

But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
Congrats to your husband!!!!
#148 of 272 Old 08-21-2007, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

I'm going to take online medical transcription training with Career Step. There are financing options, but the best one is 4 payments without the "paid in full on first payment" discount. And I can't afford 4 monthly payments, plus the first one--which is higher for shipping, etc. So then there are several loan options. However, I can't and won't take those, b/c they include interest--of course--and I have no credit history. There's also no one who could be a co-borrower for me, so loans are really out of the question.

So now I have to put it off, and keep "Staying at home on Welfare"--as the SAHMing thread so aptly put it--until I can afford those 4 non-interest payments, plus the first one.

Just a vent really. We're doing ok. But it's frustrating b/c I know I could find employment *right after* I finished the program! But now I can't even start until at least January, when I MIGHT have the money.

Sorry for rambling. I know many of you are worse off than we are!
#149 of 272 Old 08-21-2007, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

Keeping my fingers crossed for you, sonrisaa29! (I know that rail system.)
#150 of 272 Old 08-21-2007, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnw826 View Post

I hear you about the welfare thing, mrskennedy. I know people who are fighting with this right now. But congrats about your dh getting the translator job! I am looking at the med transcription thing right now, as well as paralegal and an online/evenings nursing program. I need *something*!!!
I know that feeling... Here's hoping we both get *something* soon!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page