How much do you spend per month (average) on clothes, hairdresser, and make-up? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: How much do you spend per month on clothes, hairdresser, and make-up?
less than $25 326 67.92%
$25-50 81 16.88%
$50-75 32 6.67%
$75-100 16 3.33%
over $100 25 5.21%
Voters: 480. You may not vote on this poll

1  2  3 4  5 
Frugality & Finances > How much do you spend per month (average) on clothes, hairdresser, and make-up?
pinksprklybarefoot 08:44 PM 08-19-2007
We are also snowballing our debt... so I am trying to keep the spending to the bare minimum.

I use nice shampoo (Aveda), but I only wash my hair every 3 days or so... so it lasts a while. And I use only the conditioner that comes free with my home hair dyeing kit.

I also use nice make-up (MAC), but it lasts forever. I've needed foundation for about two months now, but since it has been summer and I stay at home most days, I just haven't worried about it. Plus, I am having trouble even considering spending $25 bucks on a bottle of make-up at this point.

I buy clothes only from thrift/consignment stores or the clearance rack. This month I used half of my $20 clothing budget to buy DS a new diaper cover.

I used to be very high maintenance - highlights, make-up, nails, new clothes all of the time. Things have changed. I sometimes miss the pampering, but I know that it is for the best.

sunflowers's Avatar sunflowers 09:00 PM 08-19-2007
I probably average $8/mo on haircare. I don't wear makeup anymore so I haven't purchased any in over 2 years. I get my haircut every 6 months or so at a chain hair cuttery and spend $15 for the cut.

I buy my clothes at thrift stores or clearance and I get a new pair of shoes almost every year. I do buy coffee (I'm the only one who drinks it so that's my indulgence, I guess).

I figure I spend about $20/mo on things "just for me". I spend much more on things the whole family shares
Silvercrest79's Avatar Silvercrest79 05:16 PM 08-20-2007
Where is the $0 to $10 option ?
averysmomma05's Avatar averysmomma05 08:09 AM 08-21-2007
I voted less then $25.00 but it's more like 0 also. I don't wear makeup,don't get hair cut and never buy new clothes but 1 time a year if that.
kkeris's Avatar kkeris 11:19 AM 08-21-2007
Not giving numbers here, but I spend more than I should on most months (we are not in credit card debt or anything but I should still be more thrifty!) and am definitely aiming/trying to scale back, especially now that DD1 just started private preschool and DC2 is coming along and we'll have even more expenses.
Purple Sage's Avatar Purple Sage 08:50 PM 08-21-2007
less than $25

I buy makeup maybe twice a year, get my hair cut probably once every other year, haven't dyed it in over a decade, and buy clothes for myself very rarely. We just don't have a lot of extra money or I would spend a little more on better quality clothes.
graymom's Avatar graymom 09:34 PM 08-21-2007
I spend on average $30.00 a year on clothes for myself.
$0.00 on hair and make up. I don't wear any makeup and I never get
my hair done professionally.
katheek77's Avatar katheek77 09:53 PM 08-21-2007
I don't wear makeup, I get my hair cut once a year, and I buy new clothes in spurts every few years, mainly, when everything I own is literally stained, torn (not in a mendable place), etc. Generally at the thrift store, or, for sweaters, at LandsEnd. Then it's MAYBE 2-300 dollars at a time (a couple of sweaters, some shirts/tees, socks, etc), so, less than 25 dollars a month. I have sweaters/skirts that I know for a fact I bought 7 years ago this month (first teaching job), that I still wear. I have clothes I made in high school I can still wear (now that I lost the college/first marriage/baby weight). I LOVE LOVE LOVE one particular style of DKNY jeans I found on sale at the PX, and now I have to buy a new pair every year - year and a half at 60 bucks a pop (they're the ONLY ones that fit right....I'm odd shaped). This year, DH bought them for our anniversary.

I'm just not a girlie-girl. I've never had a pedicure or manicure, and have no desire to do so. I've never had my makeup or hair "done" for any occasion (to include three wedding parties, a few military balls, etc.). It's just not something I'd enjoy.
lisalulu's Avatar lisalulu 10:38 PM 08-21-2007
I put less than 25. I do spend money on make-up, clothes, etc but not on a montly basis. Even when I worked and had time and more disposable income, I didn't get my hair cut regularly and I have so much make up and a packed closet of clothes that I only buy something a couple times a year.
JustJamie's Avatar JustJamie 10:20 AM 08-22-2007
I don't wear make up, hubby and I use the same kind of shampoo, I've had my hair cut once in the last 4 years, and I don't like buying clothes for myself because I hate my body.
averysmomma05's Avatar averysmomma05 01:41 PM 08-22-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbymom05 View Post
Mamas, I'm curious. Are you spending so little on yourselves because the money isn't there, or because you choose not to spend it on yourselves?
The funds isn't there but even if they were I couldn't imagine spending it on those things because its just not me
veggiemomma's Avatar veggiemomma 01:44 PM 08-22-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJamie View Post
I don't like buying clothes for myself because I hate my body.
:

I refuse to buy anymore clothes in the size that I am in now or any larger.

I voted for $50-75, but I don't spend it on makeup and hair usually. When I wear make-up, I do wear Clinique, which is somewhat pricey, but since I don't really wear it that often it lasts forever. I buy cheap Aussie shampoo and haven't been to a salon for a haircut in 11 years. I did go and get a deep conditioning treatment when we got our tax return.

OP said to count money that was "just for you" - SSOOO....I must count my insidious yarn addiction. It's the ugly skeleton that lives in my closet. At least I do make things for the family out of it all.
madskye's Avatar madskye 03:41 PM 08-22-2007
I probably spend about $50--and that's usually because I shop seasonally, so I averaged. I went out a few weeks ago and hit the summer sales and stocked up on some new tops, capri's, and sundresses and sandals that are fun for the end of this summer and will be like new next summer.

I color my hair myself, but that's about $10 every other month. Mostly I cut it myself, when I worked in the city I would get it cut, but it is really so expensive (100+) and my hair is curly so it never actually makes much of a difference.

I buy expensive skin care products, because I really do see a big difference between what I use now and the Oil of Olay I was using to save money. That's another seasonal expense that feeds into that average $50.

I like clothes, and shoes, but I feel like I already have a lot--now that I'm home I concentrate on keeping things clean and rediscovering what's in my closet that I fit into again. (I have lost some weight this summer!)

I'm also pretty good at getting things for free--my friends and family know me as the girl who is open to hand me downs and cast offs. I hate to see good stuff go to waste.
mommystinch's Avatar mommystinch 03:48 PM 08-22-2007
I spend way less than $25 a month. I am not at all into makeup or anything. I get an inexpensive hair cut once a year or so to keep it from getting too unhealthy. I don't care for styling products or gunk on my face. I much prefer to go natural. I use vinegar/baking soda for my hair. I buy cloths infrequently... mainly when I where holes in my jeans or they have gotten too stained from ds. Most of them are bought with gift cards from Christmas or my birthday or I get on my mystery shops. I much prefer to use any "extra" money for fun things to do with the kids or getting carry out once in a while.
mere2hayden's Avatar mere2hayden 10:21 AM 08-28-2007
I don't do makeup. I haven't had my hair cut in ages (over a year). I don't do highlights or any other type of coloring. I hate clothes shopping so that only gets done when I "need" new things.

I mean to buy myself more things but every time I go out to go "me shopping", I come home with one small inexpensive thing for me and an armload for DS and DH. I just absolutely love buying for them. lol I really just can't help myself.
KaraBoo's Avatar KaraBoo 12:16 PM 08-28-2007
For those that spend 25 and under or even 50 and under, is that because it's not financially feasible? Or is it because you don't want to spend money on yourself?
prothyraia's Avatar prothyraia 12:30 PM 08-28-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBoo View Post
For those that spend 25 and under or even 50 and under, is that because it's not financially feasible? Or is it because you don't want to spend money on yourself?
It's because I don't want to spend money on hair and makeup Anything else that I buy "for myself" almost always ends up getting shared with my husband (books, etc.). Even if I did have $200+ personal disposable income, I wouldn't be going to the mall or the salon regularly.
KaraBoo's Avatar KaraBoo 12:50 PM 08-28-2007
Oh, I should have added that I wasn't even thinking of salon or anything specific like the OP asked. I am just wondering if moms are not spending any money on themselves...

(I only wear moisturizer and mascara and sometimes eyeliner...I get my hair done twice a year...but I love to buy books, movies, magazines and go out drinking with The Girls, so that's where my money goes.)
mere2hayden's Avatar mere2hayden 02:53 PM 08-28-2007
Quote:
Oh, I should have added that I wasn't even thinking of salon or anything specific like the OP asked. I am just wondering if moms are not spending any money on themselves...

(I only wear moisturizer and mascara and sometimes eyeliner...I get my hair done twice a year...but I love to buy books, movies, magazines and go out drinking with The Girls, so that's where my money goes.)
I was only thinking of more personal products like hair, nails, clothes, etc.

We have a large DVD collection. lol I am also a book addict. I'm also learning to sew CD's and such for our next baby and making a blanket for DS. So I spend money on material and thread and I also crochet from time to time. When it comes to stuff such as hair care, clothing and makeup, I could for the most part care less. lol
Ruthla's Avatar Ruthla 03:01 PM 08-28-2007
I don't wear makeup, and I either trim my own hair or have one my daughters do it for me. (I keep my hair covered for religious reasons.) I buy all my "new" clothes at thrift stores, and most of my hats I've had for at least a year. Last year I got a few new hats.

If you count underwear, I MIGHT make it to $20 a month on stuff for myself. If you just count the stuff that other people see, then it's probably closer to $3 a month on average.

I'm not spending any more money on stuff like this for the kids either- they get new or used clothes as they outgrow their old ones. Any make-up or nail polish comes out of their allowances or gift money. There simply isn't money to spare for stuff like this in the household budget. I do take the girls for haircuts about twice a year and DS about once a month.
Rigama's Avatar Rigama 03:42 PM 08-28-2007
I'd say less than zero a month

I don't get my hair cut, wear makeup or do my nails. I did buy some shorts for a vacation we took, but that was the first time in years i bought clothing for myself. Maybe one time a month, but not always, I'll buy myself an iced coffee or something similar.

The money is just not there for me to spend on myself. I suppose if it were, I'd spend more, but not a lot.
riversong's Avatar riversong 03:48 AM 08-30-2007
I'd actually rather spend the money on something for my kids. I joke about how the dc get all these hand-me-down clothes, but I wish someone would give me their cute clothes.
KaraBoo's Avatar KaraBoo 06:16 AM 08-30-2007
If you have enough for your kids to get "stuff," do you (plural) still not get anything for yourself?

I am asking over and over because I used to be this way. I dunno. I somehow felt a mom shouldn't get anything for herself or that even if I had 10 extra dollars, I shouldn't let myself buy something just for me. I don't feel that way anymore. I set aside a budget for everyone in the family to "get stuff." The amount is inconsequential. It's the idea that matters.
Rigama's Avatar Rigama 12:25 PM 08-30-2007
Quote:
If you have enough for your kids to get "stuff," do you (plural) still not get anything for yourself?

I am asking over and over because I used to be this way. I dunno. I somehow felt a mom shouldn't get anything for herself or that even if I had 10 extra dollars, I shouldn't let myself buy something just for me. I don't feel that way anymore. I set aside a budget for everyone in the family to "get stuff." The amount is inconsequential. It's the idea that matters.
Hmmm...

Well for us, sure ds gets "stuff" but that stuff is stuff like new underware and shoes. Okay, actually, we got him a new Leapster cartridge that was on sale, and he's gotten lots out of it. But no, usually, ds doesn't get tons of toys and games and Gap clothes while I'm huddling in the corner like The Little Match Girl. Honestly, it's just that on a regular basis, the funds aren't there for any of us to get those little extras. We always make sure we all have shoes (though I'm sorely in need of new sneakers, but it's so hot out I won't wear them...I'll buy new ones when I'll actually wear them!) and the basic necessities, though.

Dh takes care of the bills and check book. He wouldn't bat an eye if I were to spend money on a book or something for myself. Usually, anything over $25, excluding when I grocery shop, is a joint decision. But anything under, If the money is there and not spoken for, I can go and use it for something for myself.

And it just occured to me that I DID buy something kinda for myself the other day. I bought a book to assist in homeschooling ds. This is a book I've wanted for a long time and I finally decided that, at $13 it was a cheap investment considering I can use it for years to come.
Helen_A's Avatar Helen_A 07:27 PM 08-30-2007
Way way,.... less than $25 a month...

I've just spent 20 mins working out how much I spent on those things for me in the last 12 months. It came out at about £80 (the exchange rate at the time I spent it was less than $1.75 to the £) for the whole year, and almost all of that was on clothes and shoes and *one* new eyeliner that I didn't have the loyalty points for. I haven't been to a hairdresser in nearly 4 years (eeps) but then partly that is because my blessed children keep bringing home nits and then it takes me months to clear myself, sigh)
utopia760's Avatar utopia760 07:36 PM 08-30-2007
im assuming how much do i spen on myself a monh and honestly i usually dont buy coothes, never buy makeup, my didter does my hair, i usually only buy clothes after taxes and for my hair shampoo and hair ties so wayyyyy less the 25$ a month more like 5 for the shampoo our whole family uses and 1.50 on hair ties every 6 months however maybe i should spend more on me heck im worth it. i get money nd what do i buy a mei tai and grocery bags . go figureh
CortLong's Avatar CortLong 10:19 AM 08-31-2007
I voted $25- $50 but it's probably more like less than $25.

I don't wear makeup, the last time I professionally got my hair cut was November and I rarely buy clothes (but when I do, I buy quality stuff that will last forever!)
AlpineMama's Avatar AlpineMama 05:57 PM 11-22-2008
Maybe once or twice a year, but sometimes as rarely as once every two-three years, I go all out and get myself several hundred dollars worth of clothes. I hate shopping for clothes as I'm really picky about what will fit me, as I have an odd sort of a body shape I guess. Make-up I spend maybe $25 a year on, and waste most of it, but hey it goes bad so I replace it. I used to spend a lot on books but now we live near a great library so I read MORE while spending LESS. I de-clutter like crazy so I really consider what I buy. I do get things for myself, but I try to break even by selling other things to pay for them, and I try to buy secondhand. What I splurge on, hmm. Probably things like candles, shiny things (I'm a total magpie) and stuff to make the house cozy.
punkrawkmama27's Avatar punkrawkmama27 06:09 PM 11-22-2008
I used to spend over $100 a month, easily on clothes, getting my hair done, ect. Then one day I woke up and realized it isnt worth it. Now I may buy 1 new shirt or dress a month (though I havent really since I have been pregnant) and I do like my black eyeliner which I replace every 3 months. Also, now I dye and cut my own hair. I do that every other month and it costs about $20-30 depending on what colors I do (usually black, white and red). So I guess it depends, but I would say I cut back drastically and only spend between $25-50 a month. I am trying to cut back more so I can get my next tattoo next month.
JamieCatheryn's Avatar JamieCatheryn 06:17 PM 11-22-2008
I spend $20 about 3 times a year at the thrift store on clothes for me, that works out to $5 a month. I don't wear make-up (don't like it), and like my simple long hair that DH can cut for me. With clothes I can't justify settling on stuff I don't really like at $15 an item when I can find something good for $3. We don't have much money but I suppose if I spent more we'd make up for it somewhere.
1  2  3 4  5 

Up