How much do you spend per month (average) on clothes, hairdresser, and make-up? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How much do you spend per month on clothes, hairdresser, and make-up?
less than $25 326 67.92%
$25-50 81 16.88%
$50-75 32 6.67%
$75-100 16 3.33%
over $100 25 5.21%
Voters: 480. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 127 Old 11-24-2008, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I said less than $25, in reality, it's less than $10.
I don't wear make-up at all, I get my hair cut once a year unless a cut is gifted to me, and twice a year when I'm in town I do a $100 thrift store shop for me and the kids.

New clothes, sewing supplies, or anything else that might be considered 'for me' (like books) are gifts from family members. So occasionally I shop for them myself, but only when it's B-day or X-mas $$ from my DH or someone else (and unless he comes with me, I often as not spend some of it on the kids or something for the house!)

I have a really hard time spending money on myself, I always end up feeling sooo guilty knowing it could have gone to something for the kids
#122 of 127 Old 11-24-2008, 05:08 PM

Makeup is something I wear just a few times a year. I know you're supposed to replace it every few months or something because of bacteria, but I don't. Otherwise it would be a one-time use kind of thing! I bought $15 of makeup in 2007, and before that it was maybe around 2002 that I made a similar expenditure.

My mother and MIL clothe me 100% via Christmas and birthday gifts. I did buy last year a $12.67 winter jacket from WalMart, and before that, I bought $50 of clothes in 2004. Oh, almost forgot, I bought long underwear in 2007 as well. From WalMart.

Shoes? Don't make me laugh. I bought the shoes I am wearing in 2002. I have a pair of winter boots handed down from my mother. And she bought me Tevas that I wear in the summer. I wore Tevas from 1997 until 2007, and then she bought me a new pair, so the current ones are still new!

Haircuts. The last haircut I got was 2005, when my DH buzzed me bald (at my request). I've been growing it out since then (well, I guess it's been "grown out" for a couple of years by now). Before 2005, I got a cut about every other year. I cut my own bangs (very badly, I admit) but otherwise the hair just doesn't get cut (I would have NO skill at that).

Let's see, what else would I spend on? Books? No, I just use the library, and every now and then DH gets enough credits on his Buy.com card that I can buy a book for free. Music? No, I haven't bought a CD since U2 came out with All That You Can't Leave Behind (hmm... no, wait, my mom got me that one for Christmas that year). DVDs? No. Electronic toys? No.

So why am I not rich?????????????????

LOL.

My DH doesn't buy clothes (mom and MIL also take care of him). He does buy shoes every year (wears through them). He buzzes his own hair.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#123 of 127 Old 11-24-2008, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I picked 50-75 a month, because I don't spend much most months, but when I get my hair cut about 4 times a year it's 50 bucks, and when I buy new clothes (rare) I usually spend a lot and get stuff that is really well made. When dd was a baby I spent 170.00 on a pair of boots, but they have been worn constantly since and are still in great shape, so it was actually more frugal than cheap shoes which would only last half a year.

ETA:
If I had the money I would get my hair cut more often, and buy myself nice clothes more often, because it makes me feel good to look nice!

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#124 of 127 Old 11-24-2008, 11:45 PM

I answered $25-50. Some months I may only spend $10, but other months, mainly when I'm shopping for clothes at the consignment stores, I spend over $25. I don't spend more than $20 on a pair of jeans or a shirt and I don't usually spend over $30 on a pair of shoes. I try to spend about half that most of the time.

I get my hair cut for $10 every 6-8 weeks at a little beauty shop that I've been going to for years. (I love to get my hair done.) I buy shampoo and conditioner and soap from Walmart and get my lotion from the Body Shop or Bath and Body Works for Christmas. I usually only wear lip balm or lipstick, so when I buy other makeup, it's kind of a waste of money. But I enjoy shopping for and trying out makeup, so I still buy it sometimes...

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

#125 of 127 Old 11-24-2008, 11:48 PM

I spent a bit this month since we threw the inlaws an anniversary party,so I bought a 10 dollar shirt and got a hair cut LOL

-usually I may go for a hair cut once every 4 months,
-rarely dye my hair anymore, twice a year at 8 bucks each time
-never wear makeup, if I want to(special occasion..never do) I get smaples frm my mil who sells mary kay LOL!,
-never paint my nails since i worked in a restaurant and find it disgusting when a server brings you food with chipped nailpolish(am i eating that nailpolish?!?)
-clothes I RARELY buy retail, usually vv, sometimes sales, ive bought a bit this pregnancy since ds was a summer baby, but none was full price retail!

My big splurges are magazines(maybe 1 a month since my fam buys me subscriptions for special occasions), and chocolate

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#126 of 127 Old 11-25-2008, 12:14 AM

I generally get 2 $35 haircuts a year. I spend between $100-150 on clothes/shoes twice a year. I spend probably $60 on makeup a year.

The money is kind of there - I mean, $300 a year on clothes is plenty for our income level and activities. I mostly shop at Kohl's and Macy's and sometimes Ross (got my beautiful Anne Klein pea coat for $40!! When I worked corporate though, I probably spent easily double that - maybe triple, because I was buying professional clothes from places like Ann Taylor.

My makeup is Origins, which isn't cheap, but I don't go through it as quickly as I used to.

I'd like to get my hair cut more often, but I just never seem to get around to it.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#127 of 127 Old 11-25-2008, 12:30 AM

I voted less than $25. I never buy makeup (except for some tinted lip balm a few times a year and I did just get some free minerals makeup samples that will last me a looong time). I get my hair trimmed once or twice a year and only henna it (myself) that often. I only buy clothes twice a year (if needed, and then it's inexpensive tshirts, etc). My parents sometimes get me gift cards for my bday and/or xmas so I usually try to get my clothes shopping done then. I rarely buy shoes, though when I do they are good ones (though I get them new and cheap on ebay instead of at the store...Birks are too expensive full price) and they last a long time.

But I do like to splurge (when we have the money) on bpal (I like to smell good LOL and it's fun).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page