How much do you spend per month (average) on clothes, hairdresser, and make-up? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How much do you spend per month on clothes, hairdresser, and make-up?
less than $25 326 67.92%
$25-50 81 16.88%
$50-75 32 6.67%
$75-100 16 3.33%
over $100 25 5.21%
Voters: 480. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 127 Old 08-16-2007, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Basically, things that are for you only. If you don't shop monthly, think how much you spend in a year and divide by 12.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 127 Old 08-16-2007, 06:57 PM

Well I have $50 a month that is MY money to do whatever I want with. I don't wear a lot of makeup or do my hair up so I don't have to worry about those cost but I have been buying maternity clothes. I was pregnant in the winter the first 2 times and it was easier to just throw a hoodie on then having maternity shirts. That don't fly now. Haha.

Most of the time my money goes to things for the house though. Like a facet mounted water filter or prints/art for the walls.
#3 of 127 Old 08-16-2007, 06:58 PM

I said less than $25.00, but that's not exactly accurate. I don't spend more than $25.00 on clothes, personal toiletries, etc. But, if we're talking "just for me", I probably spend more...there are things like books and my choir fees and such.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#4 of 127 Old 08-16-2007, 07:00 PM

over $100 i'm sure.
#5 of 127 Old 08-16-2007, 07:00 PM

Less then $25.00

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#6 of 127 Old 08-16-2007, 07:06 PM

I spend no money on hair cuts and care, no money on make up.

I do not wear any makeup, ever and the last time i had my hair cut or done was in 04 for our wedding (last time i had make up too, before that i do not remember ).

Of course i buy shampoo and conditioner, and i use a differnt one than DH or DS so I guess that money should count .. ??

Recently i have bought new clothes -- being pregant -- i have bought all things i can nurse in too -- as DS has only now at week 28 thought of weaning, i don't want him too, and i can wear it all PP with the new one (and hopefull Theo) nurseing., I do, however, hate the prices i am having to pay -- i have a hard time paying 25 to 35 for a shirt!!!!

However, I do spend money on ME ... books, or stuff for the house..... so i do not see it as "I don't sepnd the money cuz i don't work out of the house for a pay check" or anything...........the money usally is just not an "girl" stuff.

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#7 of 127 Old 08-16-2007, 07:08 PM

I spend very little money on hair/makeup/clothing, and often what I do buy is from gift certificates I get for birthday/Christmas gifts. I chose less than $25/month because it's certainly way less than that.

If we're talking about all things I buy just for me it would be slightly higher. I buy books here and there and scrapbooking stuff now and then.

We haven't really got tons of extra money floating around after bills are paid so I'm glad I don't like shopping much!

Kim - Wife to Liam , Unschooly mama to Nick (10/00) Lily (09/05) and Olivia (07/09)
#8 of 127 Old 08-16-2007, 07:22 PM

Depends on the month. My dh wants me to dress nicely, wear makeup, have a great hairstyle...and..uh...well, I wont protest.

Heck, the other day he called me and said "Tomorrow at noon you have an appt for a massage...it is paid for..even the tip...go and have fun, you deserve it" He took away all objections. (for some reasons I can buy clothes, makeup, and spend 60$ on a haircut, but I cant manage to bring myself to get a massage)

I probably do spend between 50-100 every month...sometimes more.
#9 of 127 Old 08-16-2007, 07:28 PM

Not much at all. I wear minimal makup and haven't gotten my hair cut in months.

Money is tight right now so I don't buy anything just for me. (DH doesn't get anything just for him right now, either.) If we had it in the budget, I'd like to get my hair cut more often.
#10 of 127 Old 08-16-2007, 08:34 PM

I said less than $25, but it's more like 0.
I don't ever wear makeup. I think it's a waste of money.
I get my haircut about three times a year, at $20 each cut, so $60 a year, that means it's an average of $5 a month, even though I don't cut my hair every month.
The last clothes I got my mom bought for me because she doesn't like the clothes I have.
The clothes before that, my mom paid for from salvation army.
Before that, the last time I bought clothes was right after A was born.
I bought a nursing bra which I never use and a pair of pants, which I've worn to bits.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#11 of 127 Old 08-16-2007, 09:25 PM

I voted more than $100.

DH cuts my hair, and I almost never wear make-up. But I do buy myself clothes. And I spend a fair amount on other things that are just for me. Last weekend I went on a camping trip with my sister (no DHs or kids). I go out for girls night out at least once a month (usually more). I buy myself things I want- for example, this week I bought myself a new water bottle, a camelbak, and a couple of CDs.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#12 of 127 Old 08-16-2007, 09:33 PM

definitely less than 25. I don't wear makeup,rarely buy clothes. I prefer recycled clothing. I'm pretty simple I guess.
#13 of 127 Old 08-16-2007, 09:33 PM

I've taught my husband how to cut my hair, so I haven't been to a salon in something like 10 years. I don't wear makeup.

I spend $200-$300 a year on clothes and shoes. Though this year, my mother got me a $200 gift card for my birthday in January, so the only money I spent myself was when I needed a new swimsuit.

Sonja , 40, married to DH (42) since 5-29-93, DD born 11-3-2004, DS born 1-18-2007.
#14 of 127 Old 08-16-2007, 09:35 PM
Banned

I cut my own hair, don't wear makeup, and rarely (if ever) buy clothes.
#15 of 127 Old 08-16-2007, 09:36 PM

Way less than $25. I haven't gotten a haircut in over a year. I don't buy make-up or new clothes. Does buying cheapie shampoo and conditioner and toothpaste count as that kind of stuff? If it does, I spend a few dollars a month. But dh and dd use that stuff, too.
#16 of 127 Old 08-16-2007, 09:41 PM

I haven't cut my hair in 2 years, I last bought makeup 6 months ago ($40 worth of mineral makeup - lasts forever) and I rarely buy clothes. I do *want* a haircut though, but my mom will probably do it for me. For toiletries I use the same shampoo as the rest of the family, a deodorant stone that lasts a year and only coconut oil as a moisturizer. When I buy clothes its maybe once a year for about $50-100 all on sale. I do like shoes but I don't want lots of them and the ones I have work just fine. I wear my birkenstocks most days of the year and they seem to last a really long time.

I do like coffee though...up until recently I'd buy a latte once a week so I probably spent about $20/month on that. I quit drinking any decaf coffee that is not water processed though, so I'm outta luck on my one little luxury.

I guess I'm pretty low maintenance nowadays :

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#17 of 127 Old 08-16-2007, 09:47 PM

Maybe $25/yr total on all makeup. $12 per haircut every 6-8 weeks.

Clothes, I buy only when previous clothes have worn out or I need a different size. Maybe $50-$100 per year?
#18 of 127 Old 08-16-2007, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I put under $25 a month. But realistically, I buy myself less than $10 a year worth of clothes unless pg, and I buy makeup so rarely, it's not worth counting (under $10 a year, too). I also trim my own hair and never dye it or buy shampoo, etc. It's really long.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#19 of 127 Old 08-16-2007, 10:18 PM

Wow, I guess I spend a lot! I think I save on a lot--color my own hair now, do my own pedis, get cheapy hair cuts, buy clothes at consignment stores, but I still buy whatever makeup or face care I think will stop me from looking 100 years old. I also buy books or things for the house that I like.

Mamas, I'm curious. Are you spending so little on yourselves because the money isn't there, or because you choose not to spend it on yourselves?

I had to come back and ETA that when I was WOH I easily spent triple that amount on myself and that's not including happy hours and dinners out w/ coworkers! I feel I *am* earning money for our family now by taking care of the home and DS, and if I want to buy something that's within our budget, I deserve it, IMHO.

I think of SAHMing as my "job" now, and I like to look and feel nice for the boss, even if he is a two year old.
#20 of 127 Old 08-16-2007, 10:48 PM

I guess I spend alot, too!

I get my hair cut about every 3-4 months, at $20 (fabulous local beauty college--it's a steal; before this, I paid upwards of $50). I wear makeup, but I only need to buy it about twice a year, so about $50-$75/year.

We budget $75 a month for clothing. That includes all of us, though, and shoes, too. I try to find good deals, but I probably buy a few new pieces each season.

I get a $20 weekly "allowance." That covers Starbucks, occasional fast food breakfasts (man, am I glad I found MDC and the baby will be rearfacing longer, allowing me to indulge in this without having to share for a while longer ), and some scrapbooking stuff. Oh, and today, I bought the book for my new Bible study. And, the babysitter for when I go to MOPs. Stuff like that.
#21 of 127 Old 08-16-2007, 11:37 PM

less than 25. The occasional just for me snack when grocery shopping, and if I'm feeling like I want to spend, I go to the thrift store on half-price days or the dollar days, and pick up a shirt or dress for me.
#22 of 127 Old 08-17-2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbymom05 View Post
Mamas, I'm curious. Are you spending so little on yourselves because the money isn't there, or because you choose not to spend it on yourselves?
When I was WOH, I spent less than I do now, but dh makes more money than I did (okay - we also pay much higher rent have more kids, but...).

Anyway - I spend very little on myself because there just isn't that much I want. I almost never wear makeup. I hate shopping for clothes. I haven't had a haircut in 25 years. I only own one pair of dressy shoes (high heels) at any given time, because I need them custom-fitted, and they cost a lot.

I buy myself a new book occasionally. I have my choir. I very rarely buy CDs, because dh and I have very similar taste, so those purchases are family money, not my money.

There just really isn't much of anything that I want.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#23 of 127 Old 08-17-2007, 01:08 AM

we don't have a lot of money, but i could sepnd a little more. (though not the 95 buck every 4 weeks SIL spends on her hair)............

But.............. save buying books (about pg, birth, BF, or babies and kids) or stuff for the house.............. i guess i don't have the desire anymore.

I'd rather buy a toy, or a new book for DS. Or dipaers. or some cute baby clothing. I'd rather buy new laundry baskets to color code my family. I'd rather buy frames or photo albums.

I look at clothign for me, not intrested. i hate shoes. I see going to get hair cuts as a waest of money -- i have stright bangs and all one lenght (well till DS started ripping on it) hair that i have worn in a braid each day for 22 months........................... i would like to go get my brows waxed, and would and could spend the money if i had child care, might do that after my next OB appt while Theo is at the babysitter..........

What I WANT to shop for has changed.

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#24 of 127 Old 08-17-2007, 01:14 AM

less than $25

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#25 of 127 Old 08-17-2007, 01:21 AM

I don't have an average monthly expense. What I typically do is have a proper hair cut every four months or so ($50) then each month will go to the woman at the inexpensive salon who is a good stylist and can follow the cut well ($14.) Most months I do my own highlights ($9 every 2 months or so,) but now I want to have it done ($150-which grates and is way too much time, but my hair is damaged from diy color, and it does look better.) I have my eyebrows waxed every 2 months ($20 with tip,) but do my own clipping in other areas. I do my own nails. I use five makeup products-nothing more, nothing less. So, not that much actually, and I kind of take pride in feeling like I look more "expensively" maintained.

As far as clothing goes-on average, probably $100 a month. Some months I go without buying anything at all, other months I stock up for the season.
#26 of 127 Old 08-17-2007, 01:29 AM

:

Less than $25 per month.

[I'm not laughing at anyone here, just at the idea of spending lots of money per month on these things. It seems so foreign.]
#27 of 127 Old 08-17-2007, 01:33 AM

I sell Avon so I get all my make up, cleansers, anti-aging cremes, moisturizer, etc. for free. And since I'm preggo I don't buy any clothes, and won't for a while until I think I'm at my stable weight, but before that I probably bought myself something once a month, usually cheap at a discount store, so maybe $20. But the hair, that's the issue, I only get it done once every 3 or 4 months but when I do, it's $150. So I voted between 50 and 75.
#28 of 127 Old 08-17-2007, 01:53 AM

I voted between $75 - $100, but it might be more than that. I had been getting my hair dyed, which was a major expense. Now I'm on a perm kick, which is almost as bad. I don't buy a lot of nice clothes, but spend a lot on personal care items like salon hair products.

If the poll is referring to ALL spending that is just for me, the amount would be a lot higher. Personal coaching, magazines, gym fees, etc really add up, but I think the question was specific to hair, clothes and make-up.
#29 of 127 Old 08-17-2007, 02:29 AM

Nothing. I worry about DD and DP before myself and havent bought myself new clothes(or anything) for a VERY long time. That last purchase was cause we came into some extra money. Had we not gotten it I would have not gotten new clothes.

Mom to Bouncy Breastfed fly-by-nursing1.gifDD energy.gifLoving Woman to DH, RIP DS Born at 22 weeks  ribbonpb.gif

#30 of 127 Old 08-17-2007, 05:12 AM

I have super curly hair that no one can do correctly. Every time I get it done something horrible is done to it. So, I rarely get it done, just once every year or two when the pain of the last time is forgotten I just cut it myself otherwise. I don't wear much makeup, dh prefers me without it and I've started freaking out about the chemicals (I read an article recently on msn that said if you wear makeup every day for a year your skin absorbs 5 pounds of chemicals! ) But, my weakness is clothes. I don't spend much on myself though, but if I have the extra money to spend, I do. But I've just started staying home again so I'm not sure how much money I'll spend with that, probably less than $25 for awhile and hopefully once money gets on track, about $25-$50. So, I voted less than $25 since that's what I'll be doing for now.

Mama to two boys and a girl.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page