September No-Spend Challenge: We're in the home stretch! Stay Strong Finish with us - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-06-2007, 04:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkenna&lucas View Post
DD brought home a bookclub order today..We really don't need any books right now our bookshelves are overflowing, but I feel so guilty about not ordering. And it is one of my dd's little friends mom that is running it..HELP!!
Don't do it! We've got the same situation... books everywhere, and not that there's anything wrong with that, but you don't need to spend the money.

I've been talking myself out of buying a new book for DS for days because the library will have it in soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2007, 07:13 AM

This is the first month I'm doing this, or even trying to be serious about saving money/curbing spending. DH and I have been eating out waaaaay too much since we moved in with my parents last Nov, and spending too much. Pretty much we feel horrible about having to live here (long story short: old business deal went bad, we were unexpectedly dumped with a $6k debt to pay off) and have been stupidly rewarding ourselves with things and dinners out, etc. We want to get out of here and into our own place, so we're seriously crunching numbers now.

We still ate out 2 or 3 times. But only once at a sit down place and the rest were snacks here or there, and dd and I grabbed lunch when I had to get to the library for school. I think we spent $30 eating out. Which is far less than normal, and that includes our snacks. Out of the roughly $115 we spent this week, $75 was for things we couldn't avoid buying- groceries and medicine when dd got sick.

Not too bad for a first week.

Today, however,we took our weekly trip to the mall to let dd play in the play area. She loves it. We got a soft pretzel like usual. We budget for that since it's an every week thing. But I had lab tonight and forgot. I had my birkies on and we have to wear open toed shoes. I live about 30 minutes from campus and the mall is right down the road from the school. So I had to go to payless and spend $8 on shoes. Good thing is I found some with velcro which my very pregnant self needed anyway, and they were down from $20. So that made it a bit easier to swallow.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Sept. 1:
Sept. 2:
Sept. 3:
Sept. 4:
Sept. 5: : ate dinner out
Old 09-06-2007, 08:35 AM

Totally OT - Dennie, I just have to ask, is your DD's name a family name? DD is named after my grandmother and is also Anna Lee (no hyphen).

I've NEVER heard that name before, ever and think it's so beautiful. Of course, my grandmother was a beautiful person and my dd is a pleasant reminder of her on a daily basis.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
Old 09-06-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniej View Post
Totally OT - Dennie, I just have to ask, is your DD's name a family name? DD is named after my grandmother and is also Anna Lee (no hyphen).

I've NEVER heard that name before, ever and think it's so beautiful. Of course, my grandmother was a beautiful person and my dd is a pleasant reminder of her on a daily basis.
In a way. I wanted to honor my maternal grandparents. We were having a girl and my grandma's name along with our last name sounded like a Betty Boop knock off (Hettie+1 syllable last name starting with H). My middle name is Lee after her dad. My grandpa's mom's name was Anna and I'm told most of the 'crunchy' tendencies I have came from her (she was an oldschool midwife in rural OK). So we had Anna and Lee. We added the hyphen for 3 reasons: she was being named after two people, DH had an ex named Annalee and I didn't want anyone thinking she was named after his ex, and I <3 hyphenated names.

I love the name as well and also the meaning (according to name books it's a form of Hannah and means gracious. combined with her middle name the meaning is gracious Christian).
Old 09-06-2007, 09:37 AM

Sept 5: I completely forgot about doing this. My order from chinaberry came, which technically was last month. Does that count? Not sure when the card was charged. Also, I got groceries, which I know don't count, but I bought a kind of cereal that we don't usually get and was more expensive, just because my dd wanted another mini x-box game (this was mini-wheats). We also had lunch out, but we did it the cheap way by buying sandwich components at a discount store and making a picnic.
Then I bought myself a chocolate bar last night for after dance class, $2.50 (it was organic, they're my favourite). I also piad the $60 for dance.

tinfoil: earlier in the thread someone asked about dryer sheets. I have used aluminium foil in the past, and it works well to keep down static. YOu can reuse it too, although I don't know if there's a limit to the number of times, and I don't think there it. Personally, the balls would get lost before they'd stop working. YOu can even wash the foil from food and reuse it, so long as it's clean.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:38 AM

Sept 4 - $0 spent
Sept 5 - $31.33 gas

Totals:

Gas: $31.33

For this month I am being mindful of my spending and seeing how much it adds up to. Next month I will establish a budget.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:21 PM

9/1 Paid rent, oil, savings. Made $6.21
9/2 made $4.37
9/3 made $14.49
9/4 made $5.29
9/5 spent $10, made $45
9/6
Old 09-06-2007, 12:31 PM

mrskennedy, you're amazing! :
Old 09-06-2007, 12:49 PM

Can I join?

I'm Heather. I'm a SAHM to 3 kids. We also have 2 cats. My brother is living with us at the moment too. I'm here because dh is paid salary + commission and we got too comfortable with the commission coming in. Things have been slow most of the year and it was really hard on us.

We have a possible trip to Vegas coming up in Oct. DH has a trade show there so his plane ticket, some meals, and some of our hotel stay would be covered. So my goal right now is to save all I can for my half of the trip.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
Old 09-06-2007, 12:51 PM

sigh.

i think i mentioned that dh is renovating our shed into an office. today was the concrete pour- $216. not too bad. but now he's off at the hardware store to get more tools and things to continue the job. i don't think it will be a lot, but i think this is where a lot of our money goes- household projects and upgrades that just chew up money right and left. and it's hard to find the line between what are necessities, and what are things that would be nice to get the job done. or, what we really can live with and what we can't. this is an issue for us because we just moved into this house at the beginning of summer and it def. needed work, but sometimes i get carried away. like i want new windows and to tear up our nasty carpet that i am scared to live in a tight house in winter with, and... and... and...

and the new LL Kids catalog came and i am holding back from ordering my kids flannel lined jeans, which i know would be so warm and cozy for them with winter coming on...

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
Old 09-06-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkenna&lucas View Post

DD brought home a bookclub order today..We really don't need any books right now our bookshelves are overflowing, but I feel so guilty about not ordering. And it is one of my dd's little friends mom that is running it..HELP!!
Is it for school? If so, order some books (within your budget) and donate them to the classroom.

Otherwise, I wouldn't feel guilty about not ordering. If the mom says something tell her you'd love to order closer to the holidays.

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:18 PM

So far:
Sept 1
Sept 2
Sept 3
Sept 4
Sept 5
Sept 6 We will still see

Just thinking.....I have spent no money on anything except food and neccessities for a holiday that we had. I am goingto count them as no spend days as my goal was to not spend on anything unnecessary and did not include food.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 09-06-2007, 01:19 PM

ok, how's this for crazy? (crazy good...: )

so my dh just called on his way to the hardware store. said he stopped for gas and our card was declined. i was like, huh? i knew we were cutting it close, but thought i had us covered.

so i check our balance online and sure enough, we're $100 in the red. but then i notice that the $400 i deposited the other day was not showing up and ususally it's posted within a day.

so i call the bank and give her my acct. # and she says it's not showing up in that acct, but in a different acct. my *personal* acct. i'm like, what? i don't have a personal acct!

she says, oh yes you do, and it has $967 in it!! : um, ok.
she reads me out the deposits that have been put in in the last few months. i realize those are all the deposits i've made to that branch since we moved up here. turns out that since i didn't put an acct. # on the envelope, they just put it in the first acct. that has my name on it, a personal acct.

so i wrack my brain thinking of when i opened a personal acct. an realize it was last summer when some friends and i were starting a small group organizing pregnancy and birth fairs. but there was only about $30 in the acct. from that, the rest is all these deposits i've been making.

since we didn't have mortgage payments for 2 months this summer (was covered when we closed on the house) we had more $ than usual and i didn't notice.

soooo...now we have an extra $967! (and actually another $227 when a few checks clear).

now i have to hold back from spending it!!

i should send it right to our cc's, but i think if i can maintain it as a cushion, that would be better. as you can see, i don't have a good record for tracking our finances

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
Old 09-06-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmainer View Post
sigh.

i think i mentioned that dh is renovating our shed into an office. today was the concrete pour- $216. not too bad. but now he's off at the hardware store to get more tools and things to continue the job. i don't think it will be a lot, but i think this is where a lot of our money goes- household projects and upgrades that just chew up money right and left. and it's hard to find the line between what are necessities, and what are things that would be nice to get the job done. or, what we really can live with and what we can't. this is an issue for us because we just moved into this house at the beginning of summer and it def. needed work, but sometimes i get carried away. like i want new windows and to tear up our nasty carpet that i am scared to live in a tight house in winter with, and... and... and...
Is there anyway your DH could borrow tools from a neighbor or friend? Or rent them for less from Home Depot or Lowes? It seems silly to buy all these tools for one project, unless he's definately going to be using them a lot in the future.

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
Old 09-06-2007, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

02.. $12 at fair,
03.. ,
05.. ,
06.. ,

My goals:

1. No-Spend Days = 5/20 days
2. Let the Car Rest Days = 4/15 days
3. McDonalds Safely Avoided = 6/30 days

This month has gotten off to a rockin' start for me.

Part of it is that this new "Let the Car Rest" goal is saving me a TON of money -- far more than I expected. Because when I'm walking around and staying home I don't have anything to spend money on.

That and DH doesn't get paid until September 15th so there is no money to spend.

That makes no-spending a lot easier.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:42 PM

newmainer, wow that's a great find!

I stayed up super late last night finishing a project (I do freelance work so my schedule tends to be erratic) and so today I'll have some time to catch up around the house.

I also plan to order a felt crown for ds's Halloween costume and pick up a cheap frame for my mom's b-day present. Photos of the kids are already printed out and ready for her-- I finished that in August.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post
Part of it is that this new "Let the Car Rest" goal is saving me a TON of money -- far more than I expected. Because when I'm walking around and staying home I don't have anything to spend money on.
The other great thing about the car resting is that if you're out and about on foot or on the bus, you have to consider what a PITA it's going to be to haul home whatever you buy.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:25 PM

Sept 1 - spent $7, saved $29.60
Sept 2 - spent $35.05 (groceries), saved $1.55
Sept 3 - spent $19.54 (eating out), saved $17.06
Sept 4 - spent $0, saved $36.60
Sept 5 - spent $36.97 (eating out) , saved -$0.37
Sept 6 - spent $24.94 (groceries), $10 (cash for carnival on Sat.) , saved $1.66

I had to plan today's shopping trip very carefully because I wanted to save out $10 of today's money for the local carnival on Saturday. I went to the local discount grocery for produce and probably saved $5! I've decided to shop there, even though it's a little farther away than I would normally go, as long as I don't have to skimp on quality. Anything that didn't look good there I bought at my regular grocery store.

Total saved this month: $86.10
Old 09-06-2007, 04:47 PM

lisac77-
How did you come up with your daily amount of 36.60? Is it after bills and such or are you counting everything in that number. I am interested in doing a similar thing but haven't decided how to do it. TIA!
Old 09-06-2007, 05:49 PM

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

Newbie here. My name is Lindsay, sahm to 2 kidlets, the third is at college. Dh is a teacher so money is tight and we have birthdays and Christmas right around the corner.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of September. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.

We spent ALOT of money last month getting ds to college. Not on the college itself, but on the other supplies like sheets and towels and microwave, etc. We need to build back up our savings which wasn't much to begin with.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?

No extra stuff. If we can go back to just the necessities we can get a little ahead. Keep dh out of the stores - he is the worst about just throwing in something that is only a dollar or five dollars or whatever. All of the sudden the $100 grocery trip is $130!

So far this month I have done good. No extras. And I really wanted this adorable Bronco cheerleader outfit for dd, but I put it down and said why am I even considering paying $17 for an outfit for a 6 month old? She will outgrow it before the season is over.

Remind myself if we really need it or just want it - I am trying to do that while out. Also return my library books and videos on time, although still cheaper than buying, paying fines really is lame. We have a whole week for the videos/dvds and 3 for the books, I go every week, so really there is no excuse. And again it adds up.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalotusyoga View Post
Is there anyway your DH could borrow tools from a neighbor or friend? Or rent them for less from Home Depot or Lowes? It seems silly to buy all these tools for one project, unless he's definately going to be using them a lot in the future.
yes, we do try and do this. he was going to buy a smoothing trowel for the concrete- he wanted and 18" and he only has an 8" ( oh boy, dirty mind...) anyway, he (wisely) decided that it wasn't worth it and he would get by with what he has.

for the most part we do borrow or only buy what we will actually use in the future, but still, those projects just add up- more screws here, concrete forms there, etc...

we're going out tonight for the first time in i dont'know how long... we have a $50 gc that we won at dd's school fundraiser. i am hoping to not spend any more, but it is a super fancy place, so i might allow us an extra $20...

other than that, a good day. dh came home with *only* the concrete forms- so all necessities!

Old 09-06-2007, 05:58 PM

Oh no ladies! Today was a bad day. I was a very bad girl. I went to the ..... MALL. Yikes! I should have known better. I spent $26.51 today. Part of that is on bolts for getting DH's truck fixed so I guess that's not so bad. Most of my spending was on things for the house... cleaning supplies etc but not stuff I had in the budget so tsk tsk. And I bought a skirt and top for DD. On sale for $2 each in Sears. I couldn't help myself. I'm definitely not allowed back in there this month!!!

Day 1: spending: $75.54
savings: $295.75
Day 2: spending: $11.58
savings: $145.25
Day 3: spending: $94.00 ($66.22 in grocery budget; $27.78 on MIL
Day 4: $8.40 (went to store for cigarettes and 2 liter.
Day 5: $38.49 ($20 on gas; other groceries/household stuff so still in budget)
Day 6: $26.51 (good deals but not in budget... bad, bad)

Totals:
Budgeted spending: $180.25
Unbudgeted spending: $74.27
Savings: $441/$4000
No spend days: 0/15
Grocery budget: $84.71/$200
Old 09-06-2007, 06:17 PM

Sep 1 - = Expensive backpack
Sep 2 -
Sep 3 -
Sep 4 - Another good day. Only bought a loaf of bread and batteries for the camera to tide me over until groceries tommorrow
Sep 5 - $2.12 for coffee & a bagel for breakfast $3.12 for soup and a cookie to go with my sandwich at lunch...I was so hungry.
Sep 6 - Unplanned lunch out with a friend $16.00

Oh and changing my planned no restaurant/take-out days from 30 to 29 because we will be driving 4 hours to my Mom's over the dinner hour on Friday so I promised dd1 we could stop for food.

No Spend Days: 2/30
No Restaurant/Take-out Days: 4/29
Old 09-06-2007, 06:32 PM

SEPTEMBER GOALS

Sep 1 - - KMart (budgeted - $24)
Sep 2 - - Grocery (budgeted, meant to only spend $30, but the last minute, impulse purchase of dried cantaloupe put me over - still giving myself a tho), Made $20 on TP
Sep 3 - - $235 on flower essences - Panera, but it was on a gift card, so not counting it.
Sep 4 - - $29 on groceries at BJ's (5 lbs organic broccoli, 3 lbs organic berries, 4 lbs cheese).
Sep 5 - (why aren't my smilies copying???) - Absolutely a no spend day!
Sep 6 - Well, $156 trip to the grocery, but it's my once a month trip to TJ's and I stocked up on pantry stuff, so I think it was ok. I bought more prepackaged items than I was planning, that's why I think it was so high (I usually don't spend more than $130.) Also, $5 fruit salad and $10 for DH's lunch. It wasn't at McD's, but it was still fast food.

My goals this month:

No online buying - 5/30
No McD's (make and take my own coffee) - 6/30
Groceries - 219.00/$500
Thin babywearing stash - at least 0/3 wraps
Pay off paypal credit card - 0/$456
Discretionary Spending - 235/500

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
Old 09-06-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrasmummy View Post
lisac77-
How did you come up with your daily amount of 36.60? Is it after bills and such or are you counting everything in that number. I am interested in doing a similar thing but haven't decided how to do it. TIA!
The $36.60 figure is the money that I have left over from my paycheck after paying all the bills, plus any money DH contributes to the budget.

The money I earn in any given month goes to bills for the following month. So any money I earn this month is earmarked for next month's bills. So I know at the beginning of the month exactly how much money I am dealing with. Then I divide it by the number of days in the month. So the $36.60 is only valid for the month of September. If, say, next month DH didn't give me any money, that figure would be a lot lower.

I include mortgage, electric, phone/internet/cable, water/sewer/garbage, cell phones, magazine subscriptions, Netflix, child care, and credit cards as "bills."

Then out of the daily amount ($36.60) I have to buy gas, food, household items, birthday presents, clothing, savings, etc., etc. So it's partly discretionary money and partially for necessities. I have to be careful that I don't overspend on discretionary items, or I won't have enough for necessities.

As long as I stick to my $36.60 daily budget I can't possibly overspend. And this keeps me from blowing too much money in the beginning of the month.

If I do overspend it counts against my savings for the month. If I overspend my savings then I'm in trouble and things will have to start going on credit cards, so I want to avoid that.

This is my first month of trying this, but so far I like it. I may tweak it in the future, maybe adding savings into "bills" or having a double spend day (but that would necessitate a partner "no spend day"). I'm not sure. Still tweaking.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:29 PM

Hey there all!
here's my catch-up:
9/1
9/2-Bowling for kiddies 9.45-Dinner out for anniversary 33.00B
9/3-26.34B@ village half price sale,10.00 Drinks out for five
9/4-4.67-coffee,17.04Bgas,80.23 : had to buy a school book as they stopped handing out vouchers last friday TOTALLY not my fault as I had two half.com sellers back out on me- I was trying to save money and get more back from my pell grant:,49.01B groceries,
9/5-4.67B groceries
9/6-

GOALS(thanks to those with wise ideas!):

1.At least 15 days: 3/30
2.Pack snacks/water for outings/School: 4/30
3.At least two no-car days per week 1/8
4.NO library fines: month to date $0 (have to pay 14.00 already)
5. Come here lots
6.Make lists and stick to them
7. Avoid buying my sweets and bake more. 1/5-made raw apple muffins for shabbos breakfast this week, also bread.

Acceptable spending:
Village 50% off sale looking for- Dd winter coat/boots DONE!!!
Myself-Black dress shoes that fit with orthotics Possibly Done
lunch container (self)
Nice Blouse or jacket for R.H
Sellable Items
Meds for IVF round #3

Tally Of Evil 24.12
Old 09-06-2007, 07:41 PM

I will not record Gas and Groceries and fertility meds- those are necessities.

I WILL record all other spending though.

9/1-
9/2- $7.56 at CVS on Heating Pads.
9/3- $1.26 Index cards, $18 2DVDs @ Circuit City, $23.58 on ebay
9/4-
9/5- $25.75 on ebay.
9/6-

Proud mama to : Nicholas James born 3/19/09
Old 09-06-2007, 08:03 PM

So far the only major disappointment is that DH said he was going to be on board and he isn't.

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09
Old 09-06-2007, 08:03 PM

yay!! Good day today! We didn't even leave the house

Sept 1 72.87 in textbooks (but budgeted)
Sept 2
Sept 3
Sept 4
Sept 5 38.24 payment for coop that I couldn't get out of this late
Sept 6

No spend days: 3/20
No Diaperswappers: 5/26
Save $$: $150/700
Pay cc down $300: 18/300
Less than $300.00 in non-essential spending: 38.24/300
Park the car days: 1/7

User Tag List