September No-Spend Challenge: We're in the home stretch! Stay Strong Finish with us - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-03-2007, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SEPTEMBER GOALS

Sep 1 - - KMart (budgeted - $24)
Sep 2 - - Grocery (budgeted, meant to only spend $30, but the last minute, impulse purchase of dried cantaloupe put me over - still giving myself a tho), Made $20 on TP
Sep 3 - - $235 on flower essences - Panera, but it was on a gift card, so not counting it.

My goals this month:

No online buying - 2/30
No McD's (make and take my own coffee) - 3/30
Groceries - 35.61/$500
Thin babywearing stash - at least 0/3 wraps
Pay off paypal credit card - 0/$456
Discretionary Spending - 235/500

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2007, 11:47 PM

1) Hi everyone, I could use some help limited our impulse food purchases. I never buy impulse items that are non-edible. I'm very spartan in terms of possessions, and always have been. But impulse food and treats are a big pitfall. We are on a very tight budget. My one indulgence is food--expensive organic treats that we often just don't need.

2)I specifically want to improve my ability to ration baked goods. We are staying in a one room cabin at the moment and I have use of a small kitchenette--medium sized fridge, sink, two burners, and some kind of convection/microwave oven that I find perplexing to use. I have family nearby and could use the full sized kitchen there if necessary. My main problem is that even when I prepare these treats they rarely last as long as needed. In terms of general health--I find it's better NOT to bake and keep sweet stuff around because it will be eaten. I eat less if I have to go buy sweets when I crave something--but I spend FAR more that way and get less for my money. I could bake two dozen cookies if I have a sweet tooth, or just go buy one at a bakery. But I'll spend 2$ per cookie at a bakery. Not to mention the gas to go there. Yet if I bake 2 dozen, instead of eating one expensive cookie, I eat 7 affordable ones!

3)My plan is....well, to stop by this thread and discuss the impulsive food items I'm thinking of buying, and brainstorm ways to "outwit" myself if I bake and stash treats in the house. I've thought about freezing treats so I can't eat them without planning. Idea's like that....okay, not much of a plan, but I'm working on it!

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray
Old 09-04-2007, 12:17 AM

DEFINITELY need to do this. While I've got the $1K emergency fund Dave Ramsey recommends, I'm trying to pay off my car loan (just under $5K, it's my only remaining debt) as soon as I can. I'm single with no kids.

I've got a good handle on expenses - except for running through fast food/Subway at lunch/on my way home. Also buy waaay too many soft drinks from the machine at work ($1.10 each!). Need to reduce my waistline as well as my spending on this. NO soda this month! I have a reusable water bottle at work, as well as good tea bags.

Did a huge grocery stock up this weekend, so that will definitely help. Also, need to stop spending $20 on pizza every Saturday night (just for me and then I eat the cold leftovers on Sunday) that I've been doing for three weeks.:

Aside from Saturday when I went to a festival & spent $20 on food I didn't need & $40 on books I didn't need...

9/2 - no spending
9/3 - no spending

lady.gif
Old 09-04-2007, 12:38 AM

9/1
9/2 $37.04 on groceries (including Lactaid, electrolyte water and white grape juice for the girls with diarrhea. )
9/3 $12.50 for ice cream for the family (mom bought lunch.)

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
Old 09-04-2007, 12:52 AM

Sept 1
Sept 2
Sept 3$20 DS shoes (budgeted las month but didn't buy) not budgeted $3 icecream, and $10 blockbuster
Old 09-04-2007, 12:52 AM

Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

I am Tina SAHM of 3. We have the income of my hubby and my father lives with us so that helps with half of our bills. I also do at home childcare and make about 225 every two weeks. We really make plenty to get by and save but the saving and paying of old debt isnt happening.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of September. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.

I want to pay off old debt and start saving.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?

1. Less DH and I spending time out. We usually go out Saturday night, spend at least 30 bucks everytime. I want us to cut down to once a month. That saves us 90 bucks right there.

2. Actaully getting a checking account and savings account. We keep blowing this off and always have cash in hand.

3.Talk to dh about how important this all is and have him realize we need to budget better

4. Drive less, that means less money on gas.

5. Less chicken nugget and strawberry shake stops. We do not do this every day but we might do it once a week or at least every 10 days or so.

6. Make this a priority
Old 09-04-2007, 12:53 AM

I will not record Gas and Groceries- those are necessities.

I WILL record all other spending though.

9/1-
9/2- $7.56 at CVS on Heating Pads.
9/3- $1.26 Index cards, $18 2DVDs @ Circuit City, $23.58 on ebay

Proud mama to : Nicholas James born 3/19/09
Old 09-04-2007, 12:53 AM

Okay I went grocery shopping but stuck to my list! Whoohoo! Although I have to add to my totals now because we picked up blades for MIL's lawnmower for her in town today. She was going to give us the money when we got to her house if we could pick them up for us. Don't ask me where that money is, so I guess this is coming out of MY budget.
Day 1: spending: $75.54
savings: $295.75
Day 2: spending: $11.58
savings: $145.25
Day 3: spending: $94.00 ($66.22 in grocery budget; $27.78 on MIL ) :

Totals:
Budgeted spending: $141.76
Unbudgeted spending: $39.36 (only $11.58 mine : )
Savings: $441/$4000
No spend days: 0/15
Grocery budget: $66.22/$200

Tomorrow should be a better day. DH will be at work and I rarely leave the house with two kids in this heat. Should be my first no spend day.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:59 AM

I will include today as day one

Day one - spent 20$ on school supplies for oldest. (pay all those taxes and still have to buy supplies, grrr)

But thats is all that was spent today
Old 09-04-2007, 12:59 AM

Do you guys find saving recipts helpful in keeping an eye on spending?
Old 09-04-2007, 01:23 AM

September 3:

$5 on take out split with my friend! I still have enough Greek salad for dinner tomorow night.Some fries to,but they will probably be yucky by then.

$27.50 on cat food! It's some good healthy stuff. It's a 4kg bag and I think it's expensive but they guy told me it's better for them and they will also eat less.It should last one month.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinas3muskateers View Post
I don't really save mine. I did the challange last mont as well and just kept track of what I spent here. Sometimes I will round up the money spent on certain things.Some things like my ice caps I don't even get a reciept for anyway.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:29 AM

here's mine:

2 $29.13 costco gas (part of my $200 budget)

remaining personal sept budget: $170.87

hubby returned a few things from costco and used those credit to buy some food. i guess technically, we didn't spend anything from our grocery budget.

shellie - momma to two adorable girls and my cutie boy
Old 09-04-2007, 01:35 AM

9/1 - $7.82 on ice cream for DH (technically groceries so I'm okay with it)
9/2 - nothing!! We stayed home all day and didn't spend a dime
9/3 - $29 on household items (again, I'm okay with this)

So I wish we hadn't done the ice cream, but really, my big problem is far more frivolous spending than this stuff, so ....I consider the first three days of my No Spend September a success.

Sara
Old 09-04-2007, 01:36 AM

Old 09-04-2007, 01:44 AM

9/1-
9/2- We stayed home all day!
9/3- I did go to the grocery store but I took out our grocery cash before hand. I only got want we needed at that store and I spent $42.02. I have $120 left for the next 11 days so I should be fine.

Homeschooling Momma to DD 8 years old, DS 7 years old, DS born 03/11 by adoptionheart-1.gif , waiting for DD born 07/10 and two furry labs. Wife to my wonderful husband of 12 years.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:22 AM

1-
2- $82 - $42 overdue internet bill, $35 really cute shirt, $5 "Eco" shampoo bar
3 - Went running with DH and then browsed in bookstore without wallet ~ free!

Thanks Frog, you're sweet

Crunchy VT Mama, that is good advice. I don't think I spend compulsively on clothes and I do get a lot of pleasure from wearing something I like. My job is on the borderline of where it is "professionally necessary" to look nice. Looking fashionable is valued very highly in the company, but is not strictly necessary in my position. However, I know that upper management notices and values appearances so I guess I am hoping to show that I identify with their values. Maybe it's because it's so borderline that I have trouble figuring out where to budget.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:45 AM

I often "forget" my wallet at home when I go out! I also haven't been outside the house with my debit card unless it was for when I was going to the bank to deposit money.(Then I rush home and get on-line to pay bills )

I just put $45 in my DEBT envelope and I hope that stays in there until Thursday when I get to the bank with my paycheck and LAST welfare check!!!!!
Old 09-04-2007, 03:41 AM

Nina- I understand your dilemna at work. My position also does not necessarily call for formal profressional dress (casual professional, definitely) but when my supervisor walks in I want to project a very professional image. The first thing she sees is my attire. However, I do not budget for highly professional clothing. I get by with slacks and blouses mainly.

My September at a glance:

No Starbucks: 3/30

No Target: 3/30 (giftcards don't count. I walked in with one thing in mind and walked out with only that thing. Success!)

No eating out: 3/30

Groceries: $15.95/$400 Dp thinks $400 is a realistic budget for our groceries. I think it's more like $300 so I'm tracking all expenses to see who's closest.

Gas: 0/$300 This will change tomorrow when I fill up for the week. Eep.

Childcare/education costs: $83.20/$500 I'm also including a new backpack for Jake that we haven't bought yet and anything else that school will need. Normal cc costs come to 416.

Oh, and I want ice cream very badly right now....
Old 09-04-2007, 03:44 AM

another good day!

No spend days: 2/20
No Diaperswappers: 3/26
Save $$: $150/700
Pay cc down $300: 0/300
Old 09-04-2007, 05:16 AM

I always lurk in these threads and never join...

I have been a sahm for the last year but I am obligated to return to work, but I will be only doing so until Christmas. Unfortunatley as soon as I realized I was going to be earning an income again my spending has gotten out of control

My goals:

No spend days 1/30
No take out 1/30
No online shopping 2/30
Old 09-04-2007, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1- $100, budgeted grocery and household shopping
2-
3-

It should be easy not to spend anything extra today. I'm babysitting one kid from 11-5 and a sibling pair from 12-3, which equals me not leaving the house.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 09-04-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinas3muskateers View Post
I do find it helpful. In fact, I staple each grocery receipt to a paper that I then tape to my cupboard door. I then write each total in big bold marker, so I have to face it every day.

It's good for me; I can hide a lot from myself in my mind, but if I have to write it down and then look at it, well....then I have to face it.

Think about what would work best for you and how you deal with money.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
Old 09-04-2007, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Today we were supposed to go into Burlington twice...First for a concert at the library and then for our CSA pickup in the afternoon.

But I think we will skip the concert (we see these performers a few times a month) and stay home to save the gas for that trip.

The weather is beautiful today -- cool and sunny -- so I want to take a long walk and spend the morning outside.

Nice weather is very good for our budget.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
well, to stop by this thread and discuss the impulsive food items I'm thinking of buying, and brainstorm ways to "outwit" myself
Heartmama -- Please definitely do this. Because I'm looking for ways to "outwit" my impulsive food purchases too. I'm right there dancing a tango with you...only instead of cookies my impulse purchases tend to be coffee drinks.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:42 AM

Day 3: Fell into the (holiday) weekend spending trap again. Our "cheap" lunch out turned into a $35 affair. That included a trip to D&D again for coffee. I had to make a ton of necessary purchases, almost all were budgeted.

I had a gift card to get something for DS that he really needed. When I went to the store to get it, they were out! Unfortunately, I had to wait so I had to buy elsewhere. I still have the GC, so I can always apply it to something else, but that really annoyed me.

The rest of the week should go well for me. I have to go into the office today and tomorrow I have a meeting at my mother's nursing home with her docs, but I shouldn't have any reason to buy anything while I'm out. I'm hoping for 4 no-spend days in a row!!

Total spent on non-essentials: $91.33
Old 09-04-2007, 10:05 AM

1. I am a SAHM/Hs'er to Abigail ( five in two weeks) and Geneva (2 1/2). I have tried joining this before, but like a pp, got discouraged.

2. My dh and I have been trying to follow the scheme in Your Money or Your Life for a handful of years, but it's hard to write everything down, so we've more or less given up. However, we're living in a small house with a low mortgage, and we have finally paid off our car, so we have attained a couple of our goals wrt reducing our expenses. Unfortunately, we are finding we are not saving (or putting on cc debt) as much as we feel we could, and some bills such as grocery, are going up as our kids are eating more food and we're eating better food. We're also considering buying a second vehicle.
I have gotten into a habit of buying mostly whatever I want, and then justifying it. I have been putting money into homsechooling stuff as well, for which we have agreed on a maximum of $200 per month. I have been trying to keep it to much less than this, and I did well this summer, saving instead of spending that money for 2-3 months in a row. This money is also meant to cover anything I want or need for myself or the kids, such as clothing, personal care etc.

We keep trying to pay off our highest interest cc, but whenever we get it almost down to nothing, we end up having to do something for the car that we can't afford. About a year ago, it was almost at $0, and then we needed tires. Now it's gotten up to $2000, even though I try to pay off any homeschooling expenses I put on it right away. It wasn't even truly paid off, as we just transferred the balance to a lower interest cc, which we've done a handful of times now. The cards have got to go. One small card that has a low limit, that we use only rarely is all we need.

3. Game plan. Sometimes I think I spend in response to my husband's pressure not to spend. He insists we only buy things we need, but I like to have nice things for me and the kids, such as occasional new clothes for me, and nice, quality toys and books for the kids. But I feel like I am out of control now, buying everything I want (or almost).

This month, dh and I both need some underwear. I also want to buy a new pair of boot/shoes for me, as my two best pair are: 1) horribly ripped and suitable only for camping and in the coop 2) a pair bought for $7 at a thrift store last year, but are a size too big and need thick socks to be comfy. I want a pair of le chameau rubber crocus clogs, the low-cut style, in black so they can be rain-proof yet dressy.

I just bought a bunch of stuff online last week, and felt uneasy afterwards. I have the money to pay it off the cc, but I wonder if I went overboard buying books and cd's for homeschooling, and some stuff for me as well.

There are a handful of birthdays in this month in my family, but maybe I can make some things? My stepmom likes to knit and I just started spinning my own wool, so maybe I could give her a small ball of it, even though it's not very good. We have in the past, given eggs (we get a dozen a day) as gifts.

We also need to spend money on the car, as it needs new tires. We were supposed to do it in the spring, but we didn't and now the winter tires we drove all summer are worn out.

We also have a chunk of change saved up to renovate our bathroom, which was supposed to be done soon, but the contractor we arranged fell through and we're still searching for a new one.

I tend to buy a lot when I go to Frenchy's, the used clothing store. I say I am going in for something specific, but I end up finding other good deals as well. Last week I went in for a wool sweater for myself, and came out with that, in a bag of $25 of other stuff as well. Shoes and clothes for the kids, some books, I dunno.

I need to get back into the frugal mindset, rather than this mindset that I can justify everything. Waiting more, assessing true need, I'm not sure what else I can use as a strategy.

One thing I try to keep in mind is that, in line with YMOYL, whenever I spend money I am spending my husband's life energy, and that everything I buy puts us that farther away from his early retirement. Which is better for my kids? Expensive, classical toys, or extra years with their Father. That can hekp me sometimes, but it's hard to fight against the instant vs delayed gratification.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:39 AM

9/1- 3.99- milk
9/2- 5.00- drinks for party
9/3- 300.00! (but it was groceries, i only went $13 over my budgeted amt., and then paid $100 on the tab. Had to get vacuum cleaner bags at another place- i already cut and re-stapled the one that's in there, a la Tightwad Gazette- and then $75 at our Agway for chicken food and salt for our water softener... so- all necessary, but added up! ouch....)

i gotta find a better way of tracking. i think i'm going to write each day's total on the calendar. dh just finished the counter/desk at my organizational corner of the house and i have a big calendar up there, so that will be the easiest place i think.

good news is, we had a busy weekend at the restaurant where i work, so i'm putting $400 into our acct. today! i also picked up an extra short shift tonight, so that will help also...

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
Old 09-04-2007, 10:43 AM

Ok here is today's update!

September 1 : $34.51 grocieries (in the budget)
September 2 :$3.00 for eggs(in the budget)
September 3 :$0

So 2/30 days budgeted spending
and 1/30 no spend

so far so good!

Today should be a no spend too! tomorrow I have to buy fresh food again

tonight I have to buy my school textbook but that will come out of the savings for school..that's what I am doing this for so that's ok. I don't know how much my book will cost but the money is there!
Old 09-04-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartmama View Post
1) Hi everyone, I could use some help limited our impulse food purchases. I never buy impulse items that are non-edible. I'm very spartan in terms of possessions, and always have been. But impulse food and treats are a big pitfall. We are on a very tight budget. My one indulgence is food--expensive organic treats that we often just don't need.

2)I specifically want to improve my ability to ration baked goods. We are staying in a one room cabin at the moment and I have use of a small kitchenette--medium sized fridge, sink, two burners, and some kind of convection/microwave oven that I find perplexing to use. I have family nearby and could use the full sized kitchen there if necessary. My main problem is that even when I prepare these treats they rarely last as long as needed. In terms of general health--I find it's better NOT to bake and keep sweet stuff around because it will be eaten. I eat less if I have to go buy sweets when I crave something--but I spend FAR more that way and get less for my money. I could bake two dozen cookies if I have a sweet tooth, or just go buy one at a bakery. But I'll spend 2$ per cookie at a bakery. Not to mention the gas to go there. Yet if I bake 2 dozen, instead of eating one expensive cookie, I eat 7 affordable ones!

3)My plan is....well, to stop by this thread and discuss the impulsive food items I'm thinking of buying, and brainstorm ways to "outwit" myself if I bake and stash treats in the house. I've thought about freezing treats so I can't eat them without planning. Idea's like that....okay, not much of a plan, but I'm working on it!
Can you store them in someone elses freezer? since you are in a small place you have a good excuse, maybe you could leave your treats at your moms house, or a friend's house. Or a neighbour's.

I am EXACTLY the same way...impulse eater, impulse food buyer...there's a connection there.

I joined the emotional eaters thread in fitness and weightloss and it is helping me. If you think this is emotional eating come on over!

User Tag List