September No-Spend Challenge: We're in the home stretch! Stay Strong Finish with us - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1358 Old 08-28-2007, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread is a support thread to help you ~not spend your money~. Everyone is welcome to join (we would love to have you) and you are welcome to start at any time. It doesn't have to be September 1st.

The plan is simple (although very tough to execute):

1. Vow not to spend any money on unnecessary purchases.

2. Come on here everyday and record your spending.

3. If you think that you absolutely MUST buy something, come on here and tell us about it first. Sometimes taking the time to come on here and post before you buy something will help you not buy it.

4. Provide encouragement for your fellow non-spenders and try to talk THEM out of buying things.

Good luck Ladies!! Let's have a strong September!!! Keep that money in your wallet.

ETA: Our no-spend threads tend to get very long...if you are new and considering joining us you don't need to read the entire thread (unless you want to). Just read the first three entries and jump right in. Start your no-spending today!

#2 of 1358 Old 08-28-2007, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Some caveats...

*Groceries, utilities, clothing for you and your family, transportation...these things are necessary. You don't need to record things like that.

*Only YOU can determine what is necessary. We are a non-judgemental group.

*Record whatever will cause YOU to spend the least. If you feel guilty about coming on here and fessing up -- then this thread is working perfectly.

*Don't get discouraged if you spend -- our goal is PROGRESS not PERFECTION. We all will spend this month...let's admit that up front...Our ideal is no-spend...but we'll be happy if you just spend less.

Please don't take an all or nothing attitude. You will see progress if you stick with us...I promise you that.

*If you have time to read everyone else's post and do personals, hurray! That helps our thread do its job...but if you don't have time, then just post your tallies. We have plenty of successful no-spenders who do only that. All are welcome!

#3 of 1358 Old 08-28-2007, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of September. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?

#4 of 1358 Old 08-28-2007, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

1. My name is Prudence and I'm a SAHM with two daughters.

2a. Our mortgage is over 50% of our income. We bought a house that is too big for our budget. A mistake that we can rectify by living frugally, well within our means. This means watching every penny.

2b. Our not-large house is stuffed to the gills with stuff stuff stuff. I don't want to buy more stuff -- I want to pare down what I already have. And for me this means learning NOT to buy things just because I want them that instant. I want to learn to enjoy what we already have.

3. My game plan:

- Come on here and post everyday

- Carry precious little cash in my wallet...if I have to come home and get money to buy something, usually I change my mind and don't buy it

- Stay O*F*F the internet shopping websites diaperswappers and ebay

- Drive the car less. Gas = money. I tend to forget that and I want to stay conscious of this.

Goal to beat my previous records:

May= 19 no-spend days and $265 frittered away
June = 19 no-spend days and $394 in frivolous spending
July = 15 no-spend days and $580 in frivolous spending
August = 19 no-spend days and $451 in frivolous spending

#5 of 1358 Old 08-28-2007, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post
1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of September. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.

3. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?

1. I am a sahm to two little girls right now. Not working but looking for a job. One girl in school, one at home, and expecting baby #3 in February.

2. I'm trying to spend nothing for the month except for necessities because I'm soon to be single and I need to save every penny possible. I am looking for work and trying to cut our expenses down to beyond bare bones and a daily coffee or fast food or special treat for the kids does NOT fit in with that.

3. my game plan is to spend as little time as possible out of the house tempting fate. I already stocked my car with little snacks for the kids i n case they get hungry on our errands that aren't possible to skip. older dd gets free lunch at school so taht will take the burden off the grocery bill. I have a few free activities to do with them so I am limiting myself only to free activities like the children's museum, story hour at the library, and playgrounds. we also have free passes to the zoo for a family excursion so that will be a nice way to break up the month. I will hopefully do no buying online and only do trades with people. I am also decluttering so hopefully I can sell and make some money. I"m limiting myself to buying only groceries, gas for the car, maternity clothing which I desperately need, and after that it's trades only online for the things I need for the baby. Hopefully I can do trades for the maternity instead of buying but if I have to kick in money I will because I need the stuff now.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#6 of 1358 Old 08-28-2007, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Some posts in our last thread that gave me encouragement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulugemini View Post

5 questions to ask yourself when you feel the need to shop

#1-Why am I here?
#2-Do I need this?
#3-What if I wait?
#4-How will I pay?
#5-Where will I put it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by imahappymama View Post

more things are not security...money is a safety net...not things...

#7 of 1358 Old 08-28-2007, 10:06 AM

I am a sahm to 4 daughters. My dh is gone a lot...a long haul truck driver...he works hard for us and is gone a lot so I can be home with the kids.

I am trying to save money to return to college when my littlest goes to school(2 years) My goal is to save $10,000 in 2 years. So I am going to be here a while. What this means is cutting out about a quarter of my spending.

I have a budget of about $1600 to maintain the household..that is everything except the bills/mortgage etc. It sounds like a lot of money but this is clothes, food, gas, school lunches, etc. etc. I want to cut out convenience spending. I think cutting out fast food, driving kids places etc. will do this. My older kids have been told they need to get a job(13 and almost 17) and that they are on their own. My 13 year old has one..walking a neighbor girl to school and home everyday. My oldest is looking.

So no more driving(I live in a small town and can walk everywhere and I have a double stroller and a wagon. No more excuses.

So far what I have done..

cancelled my gym membership and an insurance policy I don't need but was paying because I have had it so long. This saves me over $100 per month.

I am keeping our sponsor child in Africa..no question there..he's one of my kids.

I am buying the months groceries and drygoods today and tomorrow..to save gas since I travel for the stores that are cheaper. I have been working on a large list. and trying to plan better but I do have a good idea of what I need for the month. I am also looking at what I have...for example I have 2 jars of pizza sauce so I will buy frozen pizza dough, frozen pepperoni and put that to use. Kids like to make their own pizzas.

I am trying to replace some consumeables..ie little rubber balls that go in the dryer for static instead of bounce sheets...once all my sheets are gone I will get them..they cost $15 for 3 that lasts about 2 years. My friend swears they work.

baby is climbing on me..I will be back

ok..back again.

A couple of things I will have to spend money on are my college prep courses and texts. And maybe a little child care for dd's when I go(I am doing homestudy but have to go on the first day of my course to meet the instructor, get my books and course requirements etc.)

I have a plan. September starts soon.

Good luck everybody!
#8 of 1358 Old 08-28-2007, 10:33 AM

Hi, I'm Lindsay. I "joined" the August thread, but I got discouraged and quit. I'm back for the September challenge, and this time I'm determined to stick with it! I am tired of feeling guilty for blowing money on little insignificant things that we don't really need. Right now I WOH full-time, and my dream is to be a SAHM or at least only have to WOH part-time by next fall, so that's my major motivation.

Good luck, ladies! We can do this!
#9 of 1358 Old 08-28-2007, 11:01 AM

Are you going to continue your spending awareness into September?
Absolutely!

What are your ultimate financial goals? Why are you doing this? What are you working toward?
$1710 for MT training, at least $1000 savings, $$ for when DS needs it, and there's always the oil bill... Not necessarily in that order.
#10 of 1358 Old 08-28-2007, 11:24 AM

Hi there - I've been glancing at you guys out of the corner of my eye for a while. I think this is the first time I've actually read a thread and realized that you aren't all doing this perfectly - so I can join in!! I am Marisa, mostly-SAMH to Sage. I am a doula - mostly do this in the summer - am a grad student - this will be my last year - and a hellish one. My husband is a librarian.

We need to get rid of our credit card debt. My husband and I have been in grad school for the past 5 years and have amassed our fair share of debt. Now that we have decided to homeschool, I know I won't be working very much any time soon. Also, we're thinking about having another baby next year and that means I won't even be doing much doula-ing for the forseeable future. We need to pay down our credit card debt and survive on our own income.

I will be cooking and freezing some soups to bring to school - I often have fast food on the way to/from school. No shopping with out a purpose (i.e. target). I eventually want to do the frugal cooking thread - but that might not happen this month. If I were to avoid fast food and random crap from target I'd be darn proud of myself!!
#11 of 1358 Old 08-28-2007, 01:18 PM

Ok, i'm in.

who?
I'm kelly, sahm (well, i bartend 2 nights a week... .my saving grace ) to dd who is 4, and my ds who is 16 months. Dh is a computer programmer who works from home. We just moved to 5 acres (soon to be 25, and that's part of why i'm here) in the country. we're in our dream spot!!

why?
i'm doing this because we have *got* to get out of debt: cc's, car, student loans. in that order. in the mean time, we also need a new roof that i intend to pay cash for ($5000 for a metal roof : ). Dh makes a good salary and my work is a good cushion, but it goes so fast, esp. when frivolous or wanton spending happens.

oh, and like i said, we are soon to get another 20 acres. we're buying our neighboring parcel. dh's parents are putting in the down, and we're assuming the mortgage. i think it'll be another $500 a month, which is doable, as long as we are paying off other things and being wise. this land has an orchard on it and is going a long way toward our goal of being more self sufficient.

how?
we're going to a cash based system. this has worked for us before but we didn't keep up with it. i have an ing direct savings acct. that i will have money automatically funneled to that we don't touch. we'll pay as much as possible each month toward cc's. throw away all catalogs! they're evil! even though i don't order much, i covet and that's almost worse...

there's more but my dd needs my attention.

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
#12 of 1358 Old 08-28-2007, 01:19 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#13 of 1358 Old 08-28-2007, 01:47 PM

My name is Heather. I'm married with no kids and live in an apartment. I was part of the no spend in June, then skipped July and August. I think I'm ready to jump back in!

Goals:
We transfered our credit card balances to a line of credit. We need to pay down our line of credit ($4000). Pay off DH's student loan ($5000). Start saving for a down payment for a house ($?????). Then we'll have kids. : (Not my idea! )

Rules
~Stay out of stores.

~Stock up on groceries so I don't go shopping every week. More stops at store = more spending.

~Look for frugal, fun activities.

Exceptions:
~Goal of $60 or less for gas this month

~Goal of $175 or less for groceries this month

~If I find the perfect, energy star fridge and it's in our budget... then maybe we'd buy it. (For the sake of our wallet and the environment, this is necessary!)

~I might need footwear. Either sandals or sneakers. Before buying anything I will look through my closet to see *exactly* what I have.

~I might need t shirts. It's getting cooler out and I realized I have mostly tank tops! So I might take a trip to a thrift shop. No buying new.

~I might buy some yarn to knit a baby blanket for someone special.

~2 birthdays coming up! I will try to think outside the box for a meaningful gift instead of throwing X amount of money down.

~We might be going out to dinner with family.

Oh wow. That's a lot of exceptions! I added everything in that I could think of so that there aren't any surprises later. I probably won't do half of this stuff. It's there just in case.

ETA: I *desperately* want a carpet cleaner!!! If I find one on sale and have the $$$ I'm buying it! Between clumsy DH and the 2 cats, it's a necessity!
#14 of 1358 Old 08-28-2007, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allgirls View Post
I am trying to replace some consumeables..ie little rubber balls that go in the dryer for static instead of bounce sheets...once all my sheets are gone I will get them..they cost $15 for 3 that lasts about 2 years. My friend swears they work.
I understand the balls are for reducing drying time that they do not work on static electricity. I have also heard two tennis balls work as well.

Heidi
#15 of 1358 Old 08-28-2007, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.?
Hi I am Heidi, mum to 4 boys and 1 baby girl. I quit my job almost 6 months ago. We are learning to live on one income. I think its rougher on my teenage boys more then anyone.

Quote:
2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of September. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases. ?
We have no spare money. I want to get our bills caught up and paid off so I can continue to stay home.

Quote:

Well having no money in the bank is the easiest way for us not to spend. We do not do credit cards. I am going to figure out how much in medical bills we owe. I am afraid to look which makes matters worst. I am also going to go through my boys clothing and take them to the thrift shop. I have no winter clothes for the baby so I will trade their old clothes for new clothes. I am also going to declutter the house. Getting rid of things give me something to do.

Heidi
#16 of 1358 Old 08-28-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
I understand the balls are for reducing drying time that they do not work on static electricity. I have also heard two tennis balls work as well.

That's odd..my friend told me they were to replace dryer sheets like bounce...I will have to check into that.

Thanks
#17 of 1358 Old 08-28-2007, 07:40 PM

I'm Erica, I live in Seattle with my husband, one son and another on the way. My husband and I both work. I joined the August thread late in the month, and it was a great warm-up. We have a brand new family budget for September, and I'm hoping that this thread will help me stick to it!

With a second baby on the way, we need to figure out how we are going to:
1) maintain our regular living expenses WITHOUT increasing our debt
2) keep working to get out of debt
3) fund the increased child care expenses

I have a habit of spending small chunks of money on frivolous things while believing that it doesn't really matter. I'm hoping to show myself that making good decisions on a consistent basis will amount to significant savings.

--Avoid credit card spending! Anything that goes on the credit card must come off within the same month.
--Shop mindfully. Don’t buy anything that’s not on the list.
--Stay within household budget.
--Plan discretionary spending on carefully considered items and add these to the budget. The budget is a tool, not a blunt instrument.

SPECIFIC SEPTEMBER GOALS:
*7 actual no-spend days (meaning absolutely no money going out for anything)
*less than $75 in discretionary/preventable spending
*no lattes!
*no unfunded credit card charges!
*figure out how to cheaply accomodate M&M habit...
#18 of 1358 Old 08-28-2007, 08:04 PM

I'd like to join in to, some accountability would be great!!

Hi, I am a SAHM to a 4 year old dd and a 2 year old ds..my dh is gone quite a bit during the week for work, so it is usually just me and the kids..

We did horrible in August, I drew up a budget in July, we did great in July..But August was awful..We were even $-200 at one time this month..YUCK..Alot of suprises with our bills etc. And I am a spendoholic so that didn't help any either..but we are back in the positive, and need to save save, save..We have dd's birthday, a Disneyland trip, and Christmas coming up so it's time to get tight with the money.. Dh has a few weekend jobs coming up that should help out ALOT..We also want to pay down one of our cc's by about $300..My main goal is to have $800 in savings for our trip, and pay that cc down alittle..

We are going to use the envelope system and only the envelope system
I need to stay off diaperswappers, and other online stores (online shopping is my weakness)
Only one of us will go food shopping (I find we spend more $ when we bring the whole family grocery shopping)
For extra money (hopefully) we are going to have a yard sale this coming weekend..
And I really like how some of you have made a goal # of days to not spend, so I am going to try for..20

My exceptions..
dd is going to need to get her book for a church group she is in
ds really needs some new shoes, my mom said she would buy them for him, but just in case I am making that exception.
i need to get a book to start my CLE training (it should only be about $10)
#19 of 1358 Old 08-28-2007, 08:07 PM

Hi there,

I am Jocelyn and my husband and I earn decent money but we are also very good and just tossing it away. I want us to be more mindful of our frivolous purchases and to start paying down our debt more significantly. Also, some things just changed for us financially so I really want us to watch our budget.

I want our family to be able to afford a family trip to Kansas to have my daughter visit her great-great granddaughter, but I do not want to go into debt going there. That's my main goal this month. That and reducing our grocery budget drastically - we are terrible with the food.

Currently we spend ~$600/mo in food, including trips to Costco. I'd like to see this reduced by at least 1/3, which I'm told should be very easy.

To achieve this goal I am organizing our pantry and fridge/freezer as suggested by another thread. I will be writing out menus and sticking to them!!! Also, we have an abundance of tomatos and peppers from our garden so we are going to make spaghetti sauce and freeze it.

I am going to try to spend the bare minimum on groceries and see where it gets us this month. (We're actually pretty frugal otherwise)

Subbing now.
#20 of 1358 Old 08-28-2007, 10:24 PM

Hi, I'm Jenny. I'm a SAHM to one sweet little 3.5 year old girl. I have a spending problem. It's never gotten really out of control but I need to constantly monitor myself. I fell waaay of the wagon last month and I really need to climb back on. I felt very weak and totally out of control.

We aren't rich. We need to save more money. DH talked me into buying a new couch last month and I'd really love to pay that off without dipping into savings.

*DO instead of BUY. So many Christmas presents I want to make!
*No more shopping for recreation.
*Use up as much food as possible in the freezer. It is stuffed full.
*Do not buy even one yard of fabric. No more rationalizing or making excuses.
*Eat out less. No more than once a week.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#21 of 1358 Old 08-28-2007, 10:37 PM

1. Hi, Lisa, sahm to 2 kids, in a very expensive city with high cost of living. DH and I successfully did no-spend for Feb 06, it was fun (and hard).

2. Right now we pay rent (2x our mortgage) AND mortgage on our home in another state, as well as 2x utilities. We just can't afford to spend more than the minimums on anything.

3. The Plan:

OK to buy: food, utilities, auto fuel, dog food, etc.
NOT OK: fast food, shopping because I'm bored

The limited shopping list:
wedding gift (gift card)
kids fall/winter clothing (big resale happens, for $100 I can dress both kids for the next 6m)
tennis shoes for me
3 new diapers for ds (overnight cloth instead of sposies)
bday gifts for extended family
baby shower
new shoes for dd

OTHER plan:
make a menu and plan/shop for it, including lunches
any other shopping (mostly online/coops) must be budgeted into the christmas or household budget

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#22 of 1358 Old 08-28-2007, 10:50 PM

Hi everybody-
I'm a SAHM, 2 daughters 10/00 and 9/03.
I am here b/c we just bought a new car and have payments once again. It was the right thing to do, we got a car that should save us money on gas compared to the old one, which was breaking down left and right but still...one more bill.
2nd, DD#1 is in private school and DD2 will also be in a year. Once #2 is in school full time I'll be able to work more (right now I work about 10 hours a week at a couple of flexible jobs) but right now I want to be home with her more than I want to increase our income.
3rd, we have just set major goal of making a contribution to the building campaign at our church. We're not going to be able to do that if I spend like I have been the last couple of months.

My plan: Avoid fast food except in total emergencies; simple meals planned ahead; no shopping since there's nothing we need right now.
#23 of 1358 Old 08-28-2007, 11:11 PM

Hi, I'm a SAHM to a 2 yr old. I live in a very small town so I don't really have temptations to buy unnecessary things. I'm very picky about what I buy. If I don't absolutely love the color, fabric, material, etc, I won't buy it. However if something seems perfect for me I obsess about it until I break down and buy it, or I find something cooler.

I have a small online business and I was doing really well but then I overinvested in inventory and it's not moving as fast as I had hoped. I charged it on my credit card because I thought I had no problem paying it back but like I said, it's been lower than I thought. I don't buy a lot of things but when I find something that I think is really cool I go ahead and order it online because I figure a little here won't hurt. But in reality, I need to be more disciplined to pay back my credit card.

I need to get myself mentally prepared for this part. Let me get back to ya.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#24 of 1358 Old 08-28-2007, 11:12 PM

I'm bracing myself: I think I need to jump in. Gulp.

I'm a grad student starting my 6th year full-time, ds graduated last year and has been working for a year at a non-profit. We live in a VERY expensive city and pay as much in childcare as we do in rent--both a lot. We're not living the lifestyle of the rich and famous by any means... but we still aren't quite making it. We need to.

--To be "caught up" within 3 months from our current "overdraft" (covered thanks to family, so no actual overdraft).
--To feel like I know where our money is going, and that it's going for the things that really matter.
--To be able to sleep better at night.
--To be able to think about whether or not we want a 2nd child without having finances be the deciding factor.

--Stay out of stores and off internet shopping.
--Pack lunches, plan menus, place weekly grocery orders (ah, the city has its advantages), cook.
--Figure out how the #$^&$# to cut our grocery bill.

#25 of 1358 Old 08-28-2007, 11:47 PM

I'm Michelle. I joined in August and my goal is to join each month until my debt is gone. I just got a new nanny job and will have a steady income comming in now so can re-do my "get out of debt" plan.

Why did I join?

I really need to be debt free so I can have less stress and start saving money for good things in life.

My rules for September:

Grocery shop one day a week with CASH only (and take cloth bags). I can eat at work 4 days a week,so I don't need much the other days.

$10 a month is ok for pop and junk food.

$15 a month is allowed for Pizza or other take out.

At least $275 a month on the BIG credit card. It's now closed and my biggest debt. At least $20 a month for the small one.

No using the small credit card unless it's an emergency!!

Do something with all the canned beans I have!!

Try and sell my purses and girls clothes that I have extra of.
#26 of 1358 Old 08-29-2007, 12:04 AM

Ok..I did! I have my monthly groceries in..I have sooooo much food and stuff in the house...a family of 6 needs a lot of food.

A couple things I did was to buy the ingredients for pancakes and pies instead of package mixes and packaged cookies/deserts. I love to bake so that's totally a good thing.

I filled up the gas tank in the van. I am determined to use the van minimally..only going into town on Fridays...only driving it in this town if it's really raining hard.

I have set up a budget for perishables. I am not sure how accurate it is but I figure I will use this as a learning month.

I am aiming for no fast food, no drive thru coffee, no extras.

There is one thing I might spend a $100 on. Someone I know is looking for a home for her golden doodle. We have been looking for one but didn't want a puppy. If she chooses us I will pay that money happily. But if it doesn't happen..well...money saved.

This is a fun/scary thing to be doing but worth it.

Oh..and I got my registration for my first college class..I start Sept 4! So I have to pay that bill but since College is what I am saving for this is exactly what I am supposed to spend extra money on!

I have decided to give my dh everything I have saved at the end of each month(except a little bit I am putting aside for Christmas)...he's won't spend it and doesn't get tempted like I do.

Cheers
Carolyn
#27 of 1358 Old 08-29-2007, 12:40 AM

1. I'm Dennie, a SAHM and student. DH works as a night manager at a gas station. We have a 2 year old and another little girl coming in Dec.

2. We have too much debt and spend too much money. We are trying to purchase a home, and need to save money. We need to learn to eat at home instead of always eating out.

3. Our plan is to open our new checking account (ID theft this week) and use it only to pay bills. Whatever money isn't going to be used to pay bills will be taken out of our bank account and we will be using the jar method (I got the idea from "Till Debt do us Part"). Anything else will be added to paying off our debts (credit cards, a loan from a business deal gone wrong, our midwife fees, tuition from a previous school).

We can eat out as a family once a week. Twice a month DH and I can go to a dollar movie together ($10 or so total). This is important to us as a family. Other than that our going out will be limited to free activities- play areas at the mall, children's museum, zoo, parks, picnics etc).

To help us with not eating out all the time we will be spending less time driving around town- which should also help us save gas money! We'll sit down and make a menu. I also want to break out the bread machine I found and make our own bread since dd and I eat wheat and DH likes white. I am going to go to Farmer's Market (we have $30 from WIC) and stock up on veggies to freeze for winter. My goal is to spend no more than $120 on our groceries each month and eat healthy foods.
#28 of 1358 Old 08-29-2007, 12:47 AM

I'm in again! This is addicting!

I'm Jenn, sahm to a 3yo and 5mos old. My dh makes a good living and we have a pretty comfortable life, but I want to be careful of how we are spending.

I don't want to fritter away our $$ on stupid stuff. I want to teach our boys the value of a dollar and I really want to have even more money available to help out friends and family as needs arise. Also, we just purchased a new house and did big landscaping. We have money for retirement and insurance and all that, but no actual savings right now and that's a scary place to be.

My plan:

1. Stay out of stores like Target, Costco, etc. If I have to go I need to take a list and stick to it.

2. Plan all meals and buy according to the menu.

3. Don't eat out. Don't buy snacks.

4. Be more mindful of how much driving we are doing. Luckily everything is pretty close, but I can do better, I know I can.

Exceptions:

I know I'll have to buy a gift for a b-day party we were invited to.
I'll pick up something little for my baby sister's birthday. I usually spend about $10.
#29 of 1358 Old 08-29-2007, 02:15 AM

I have a sugestion for the mamas with teens. They can cost a lot of money Why not have them get part/time ocasional jobs so they can have some money to spend on teh things they want instead of asking you for more money for the little things they like to have it for. Not saying they should be working full time,but maybe doing some weekend babysitting or weekend grass cutting or snow shovelling or something.
#30 of 1358 Old 08-29-2007, 03:06 AM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page