cheap healthy breakfasts you have?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 09-01-2007, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cheap but healthy breakfasts? Must contain NO COWS MILK and NO EGGS.
#2 of 28 Old 09-01-2007, 09:32 AM

This is probably too obvious but oatmeal or cornmeal mush (polenta if you want to be fancy!) My most favorite breakfast as a kid was cornmeal mush! It takes a while to make so my mom would make a huge pot and put the leftovers in a loaf pan and chill. The next day she'd pop the block of chilled mush out, slice it up and fry in a pan till crispy. Serve with butter and maple syrup (or whatever topping you like) (I hate the yummy smilie but it's required when talking about fried cornmeal mush!!!)

OOPS- I just realized you wanted healthy...fried cornmeal mush is definately not healthy but it is cheap and yummy with no eggs or dairy!

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#3 of 28 Old 09-01-2007, 11:55 AM

So, this isn't exactly cheap, but Kashi Go Lean Crunch is a really great breakfast cereal. I have always loved cereal because it's so easy, but it doesn't keep me full at all. However, Kashi GLC has a lot of protein and fiber, which keep me full till lunch. If you get it and don't let anyone else eat it (what I do! ) then it's not too expensive. You could also get a couple different high fiber, low sugar cereals and mix them together and just snack on them dry, or eat with soy milk.

I also like to eat sandwiches for breakfast.

Basically, I need a lot of protein in the morning to keep me full, and complex carbs are nice, too, because they keep my "furnace" burning slowly.

You could make a big batch of something like brown rice, quinoa, steel cut oats, etc and eat some each morning for breakfast with your favorite protein.

In Costa Rica we always had rice and beans, gallo pinto, which is where you take the cooked rice and beans and kind of fry them a bit (together). The oil to fry them will help keep you full, too....fat goes a long way in keeping us full, and you don't need to use a ton of oil. This is a REALLY cheap breakfast. If you want to be fancy (but not healthy!) you could fry some plantain slices while you are at it. Plantain slices are just heaven on a plate!
#4 of 28 Old 09-01-2007, 12:09 PM

Pancakes! You can easily make them dairy/egg free. I make a huge batch of pancakes every Saturday and freeze them. My family eats them all throughout the week. My kids like them with frozen blueberries (popped in the microwave for a minute or so - they become kind of "sauce-y") or with applesauce and a bit of maple syrup.

I make my pancakes "healthy" by using whole wheat flour along with the white flour. I also add cornmeal (gives a great flavor and texture) and oats. I cut down on the fat (they do need a bit of fat to taste good and brown well).
#5 of 28 Old 09-01-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersmamma View Post
In Costa Rica we always had rice and beans, gallo pinto, which is where you take the cooked rice and beans and kind of fry them a bit (together). The oil to fry them will help keep you full, too....fat goes a long way in keeping us full, and you don't need to use a ton of oil. This is a REALLY cheap breakfast. If you want to be fancy (but not healthy!) you could fry some plantain slices while you are at it. Plantain slices are just heaven on a plate!
This sounds SOO yummy. We eat tons of rice and beans, and I love fried plantains. What seasonings do you use in the beans?
#6 of 28 Old 09-01-2007, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We love baked oatmeal. We have a vegan in the house so I just substitute soy milk for the milk and soy flour and water for the egg.

Baked Oatmeal

¼ c. oil

½ c. sugar

1 egg

1 ½ c. quick cooking oatmeal

1 tsp. Baking powder

½ tsp. Salt

½ c. milk

Cream oil, sugar and egg together. Add all other ingredients and mix. Pour into a greased 8-inch square cake pan. (I double it and put in a 9 X 13 pan) Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 mins.

Serve with milk. Makes 4-5 servings.

Variations: Add ½ cup raisins, ¼ cup nuts and ½ teaspoon Cinnamon. Line bottom of pan with sliced apples.

Heidi
#7 of 28 Old 09-01-2007, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
mmmm oatmeal with raisens and shredded apples or with peaches. mmmmm hot peaches in oatmeal. I also add very finely pounded walnuts to this and dh doesnt even notice. He is the pickiest eater ever!

We also do brown rice with berries or shred apples and cinnamon.

pancakes or waffles with warm fruit. I usually did whole wheat waffles and then i would get a bag or frozen berries and heat it up then cover the waffle with berries. If it is too tart you can just put a sprinkle of powdered sugar too and the kids think they are scamming a sugary treat.
#8 of 28 Old 09-01-2007, 03:40 PM

Rice pudding!!! Ok,it's a dessert and I don't actually eat this for breakfast but I think I will start!! Yummy! You can make a big batch and eat it cold or heat it a little in the morning. You can make it healthier with the type of rice you use and what you add to it.

Otmeal is always cheap and it's healthy and you can dress it up however you like.

Pancakes are a good idea too,also can be made healthy!

Smoothies! You can add any soft fruit and soya milk or milk or even some fruit juice or a scoop of ice cream! LOL If you add some kind of wheat germ or something then it's even better. You need to have a belnder though. I'm sure you can find many great recipies for some great smoothies!
#9 of 28 Old 09-01-2007, 04:01 PM

Fruit smoothies?

I put in:
  1. Kale
  2. Flax seed
  3. Wheat Germ
  4. Bananas (mostly, because they are cheep. .38/lb for me)
  5. Frozen Strawberries ($5.49 a large bag, but it can last 2wks)
  6. 100% fruit juice
  7. Yogurt (though you may have to skip this depending on what animal your yogurt comes from )

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#10 of 28 Old 09-01-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
We love baked oatmeal. We have a vegan in the house so I just substitute soy milk for the milk and soy flour and water for the egg.

Baked Oatmeal

¼ c. oil

½ c. sugar

1 egg

1 ½ c. quick cooking oatmeal

1 tsp. Baking powder

½ tsp. Salt

½ c. milk

Cream oil, sugar and egg together. Add all other ingredients and mix. Pour into a greased 8-inch square cake pan. (I double it and put in a 9 X 13 pan) Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 mins.

Serve with milk. Makes 4-5 servings.
Variations: Add ½ cup raisins, ¼ cup nuts and ½ teaspoon Cinnamon. Line bottom of pan with sliced apples.
Mmmmm, I'm copying this one right now and trying it in the morning! Does it reheat well for leftovers later in the week?

Thanks, Amanda
#11 of 28 Old 09-01-2007, 08:02 PM

Leftover dinner for breakfast.
Soup for breakfast.
Oatmeal.
Toast with butter and jelly (you can use fake butter).
Waking up really late, and eating lunch, instead
#12 of 28 Old 09-01-2007, 08:40 PM

no eggs, no dairy...

theonly 2 thigns i come up with are oatmeal and grits

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#13 of 28 Old 09-01-2007, 08:45 PM

hashbrown patties and baked beans
rice and miso broth
scrambled tofu and toast or corn tortillas
I make quiche with tofu and no dairy/no eggs. You might find a recipe on vegweb.com.
Homemade biscuits or English muffins with a sausage patty on it.
Pigs in a blanket.

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#14 of 28 Old 09-01-2007, 10:06 PM

Cold cereal with non-milk-milk (soy or whatever)
toast with toppings (peanut butter, etc.)
Fruit
Oatmeal
B-fast tacos with beans and cheese (fake cheese?), or veggies
tofu scramble
B-fast buiscuts (with toppings, fake cheese, honey, etc.)
#15 of 28 Old 09-01-2007, 10:09 PM

Toasted Ezekial bread with organic peanut or almond butter. OMG-YUM!!!!
#16 of 28 Old 09-01-2007, 10:43 PM

If you are brown rice eaters, and have a crock pot, make enough that night to make brown rice oatmeal that will be ready in the morning! This was a staple in my house growing up:

BROWN RICE OATMEAL

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tablespoon cinnamon
1 cup brown rice

4 cups hot salted water

cook the rice in salted water with HALF of the dry ingredients in slow cooker or in a casserole dish in a moderate oven, until well cooked and slightly mushy.
If using slow cooker go to bed and finish prep. in the morning!
Add the rest of the dry mixture, and dry fruits of your choice, or
serve topped with raw fresh fruit, more cinnamon sugar etc.

I hope you enjoy this! Tweak it to your own tastes, this is just my mother's recipe.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#17 of 28 Old 09-02-2007, 01:05 AM

Another super easy thing to do is brown rice and fruit and honey or other sweetener. A cup or so of brown rice, plus a diced peach, plus about a T. of honey is absolutely delicious in the summer time. Very cheap with in-season fruit.

Don't discount veggies for breakfast, either. Tomatoes, raw or cooked (I usually put a few slices on a bagel and top with a piece of cheese and toast in the toaster oven, but that is not an option here) are a delicious and cheap healthy start to the day in summer as well. Leftover baked sweet potatoes and acorn squash in the fall is the same way - a nice sweetness, and squash gets super-cheap (like 25 cents a pound here!) in the fall.
#18 of 28 Old 09-02-2007, 02:51 AM

Fruit and biscotti and coffee. That's when it's just me, though.

For the whole family, we do a lot of crockpot steel-cut oats. They're a lot cheaper from the bulk bins than from the tins in the oatmeal aisle (which I'm guessing everyone already knows anyway, but hey, you never know). Sometimes we cook them plain and have them with real maple syrup or pure honey, or often I'll toss in whatever dried fruit we have on hand. I also like spices in there - cinnamon, clove, etc.

Cream of wheat. Grits, too, are popular where we live, but really aren't my thing. English muffins. I like 'em with butter, you could use a non-dairy spread. They're also really good with some kind of fruit preserve. Bagels with cream cheese, maybe a homemade cream cheese spread with salmon or fruit or something mixed in. Braunschweiger/liverwurst is popular here, too. On toast, especially. Toast with peanut butter. Kippers, sometimes. Tofu scramble with lots of turmeric and veggies. And very occasionally, coffee cake or cinnamon rolls with bacon or sausage (and eggs, but obviously that's not an option for you).
#19 of 28 Old 09-02-2007, 02:53 AM

Muffins!

Make a big batch of whole-grain veggie/fruit muffins (you can really sneak almost anything into a muffin) every time you make them, and put them in the freezer. The night before, you pull out the number you are likely to need, and they are thawed and room temp in the morning. You can heat them up too, obviously.

Muffins are pretty easy to make vegan-- I used En-R-g egg replacer and soymilk, but you might have your own vegan baking strategies.

Things I put in muffins:
leftover cooked grains and rices of all kinds (quinoa, oatmeal, etc.)
shredded carrots
shredded zucchini/summer squash
apples/pears/plums/whatever fruit I have a lot of
leftover steamed broccolli (mashed up) (it was good!)

The key is to always have a sweet item in with a veggie-- other than carrots. Even zucchini really needs a banana or two to get it sweet enough. But it's a very frugal, easy, and tasty breakfast item.

Pregnant and/or breastfeeding since May, 2004, with dd6, ds4, and dd born 9/11.
We homeschool.gif.
#20 of 28 Old 09-02-2007, 03:53 AM

I like to make a pan of pan fried potatos! I love them! I cook the potato first either the night before or in the microwave so it doesn't take so long in the pan. I dice it up and fry it in some oil along with some chopped onion,peppers or whatever. It's good and cheap and it can be stretched a bit by adding more veggies.

You could also make your own veggie breakfast burrito type things to for cheaper then the ones you buy.
#21 of 28 Old 09-02-2007, 01:35 PM

We love oatmeal. We add in dates, or raisins, or apples, or whatever fruit we have on hand. I like to add walnuts, but they're an allergan for DD.

I buy it in bulk at a warehouse store and it cooks up in about a minute in the microwave - so easy! I just measure out a 1/2 cup dry oats and add in just under a cup of water, mix slightly and nuke for about a minute. Then we add in the fruit.

We'll also occasionally eat peanut butter toast - simple home baked bread toasted and we put on some peanut butter.
#22 of 28 Old 09-02-2007, 03:34 PM

vegan wise...i like toast with peanut butter, scrambled tofu (tofu is only 99 cents from trader joes if you have one?), cheap organic cereal (also from TJ's) with soymilk and fruit, my favorite is banana pancakes! I got the recipe from how it all vegan if you are interested.

I also like to make carrot muffins...those are very cheap and yummi (healthy too!
#23 of 28 Old 09-02-2007, 03:35 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#24 of 28 Old 09-02-2007, 04:26 PM

That baked oatmeal recipe on the first page is amazingly delicious! I made it this morning and while it baked, the house smelled so yummy. Even little dd kept going "Mmm...mmmm...mmm...". I added 1/2 c. of raisins and about a teaspoon or so of cinnamon. I definitely want to try it with apples, though. Yum.

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
#25 of 28 Old 09-02-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyLizards View Post
That baked oatmeal recipe on the first page is amazingly delicious! I made it this morning and while it baked, the house smelled so yummy. Even little dd kept going "Mmm...mmmm...mmm...". I added 1/2 c. of raisins and about a teaspoon or so of cinnamon. I definitely want to try it with apples, though. Yum.
we tried it this morning too.. yummy!!

we added cinnamon and apples..i was out of eggs and just added a little applesauce instead..it turned out great!!

mum4boys~~thanks for the recipie!
#26 of 28 Old 09-03-2007, 12:16 AM

Oh jeez...this thread is seriously making me hungry

Kylin 10/14/2002

Aja 8/13/2004

Evie 3/11/2010

2 angels in Heaven (Alexis & Bryson)

Currently NTNP for baby #4 dust.gif

#27 of 28 Old 09-03-2007, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyApple View Post
Mmmmm, I'm copying this one right now and trying it in the morning! Does it reheat well for leftovers later in the week?

Thanks, Amanda
Ah, well **ahem**, it reheats beautifully for leftovers later in the day We just warm it up and add a little syrup and milk (or soymilk) I have a batch soaking in my fridge right now thanks to this thread

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#28 of 28 Old 09-03-2007, 11:20 AM

Oh my...I made the oatmeal again this morning and this time I doubled the recipe! Sooo good. And, yes, it does reheat well. I finished off yesterday morning's batch at 10:00 last night while perusing MDC. It's one of my favorite things now.

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page