"Lower Income Moms" September 2007 Support - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 315 Old 09-05-2007, 02:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnw826 View Post
I am so jealous! I wish I lived near you to stock up!
It's the one perk of this job he's doing! It's yucky hours but it sure has stretched the diversity of what I can make with corn, and peaches for that matter! I'm trying not to freak out about the end of the season, as I'm not sure what the next move is...

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#62 of 315 Old 09-05-2007, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradmama View Post
I'm a graduate student who just moved to a very expensive area of the country to go to school (and yes, I feel a little guilty for doing so, but the opportunity outweighs the cost and I've decided that it doesn't negate my right to occasionally complain about the very high cost of living that makes an already poor family poor).
OT butWhat are you getting your degree in? Where are you going to school at?

Heidi
#63 of 315 Old 09-05-2007, 01:37 PM

I'm starting the MA/PhD program in Sociology at the University of California Santa Barbara. Love it here so far......walk to the beach in 15! I'm sooooo lucky. Even my girls, who were P.Od at having to move again, like it here.
#64 of 315 Old 09-05-2007, 02:28 PM

Made $45 today. Had it spent--or rather, saved--before I got it. But at least it's here now!
#65 of 315 Old 09-05-2007, 04:06 PM

Hi everyone! I'd just like to say that y'all are in my prayers.
I posted a couple of times on the last thread. To recap, we're living with my parents right now. My dh and I have a son and three (naughty!!!) kitties. I work part time as a licensed vet tech. He works for Wal-MArt (enough said). We have been plagued with financial problems for three years now. We had to move in with my parents because our lease was up and we couldn't afford the rent increase. We looked for a new place for many months but couldn't find anything in our price range. Everything is so overpriced. We can't buy a house because of bad credit and, duh, no funds. So, here we are. We thought moving in with the parents would help us save money but we're still stuggling. We work far away (and quitting/transferring is NOT an option) from my parents and the cost of gas is completely eating any savings. It's been a very rough few months. DH tried to get a job with Whole Foods but they turned him down. It has seemed like one thing after another lately and I'm finding it harder to look on the bright side.
I'm thankful for the fact that my parents are letting us stay here.
My goals:
find a place to live
help dh find a better job
get some bills paid

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#66 of 315 Old 09-05-2007, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm starting the MA/PhD program in Sociology at the University of California Santa Barbara. Love it here so far......walk to the beach in 15! I'm sooooo lucky. Even my girls, who were P.Od at having to move again, like it here.

Sociology was my major when I was in college.
#67 of 315 Old 09-05-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskennedy View Post
Made $45 today. Had it spent--or rather, saved--before I got it. But at least it's here now!

That's great!
#68 of 315 Old 09-05-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMike View Post
So, here we are. We thought moving in with the parents would help us save money but we're still stuggling. We work far away (and quitting/transferring is NOT an option) from my parents and the cost of gas is completely eating any savings. It's been a very rough few months. DH tried to get a job with Whole Foods but they turned him down. It has seemed like one thing after another lately and I'm finding it harder to look on the bright side.
I'm thankful for the fact that my parents are letting us stay here.
My goals:
find a place to live
help dh find a better job
get some bills paid
Sorry about WF...I hope he finds somethiing just as good or better.
#69 of 315 Old 09-05-2007, 04:43 PM

I'm so disappointed right now. My financial aid was denied for the the medical transcription program I wanted to do at Everett Community College. : Turns out I have too many credits for them to give me any aid. They said I could appeal the decision, but I'm just going to save up for Career Step instead. I think this is for the best, anyway, but I'm still bummed about being denied.
#70 of 315 Old 09-05-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemongrass View Post
I'm so disappointed right now. My financial aid was denied for the the medical transcription program I wanted to do at Everett Community College. : Turns out I have too many credits for them to give me any aid. They said I could appeal the decision, but I'm just going to save up for Career Step instead. I think this is for the best, anyway, but I'm still bummed about being denied.
You might want to try the appeal, actually. I've had to appeal financial aid twice, for different issues, and it was really simple and easy both times. I just wrote a quick letter telling them why I needed to get fin. aid and what my goals in school were. It was maybe three paragraphs long. Both times I was approved quickly and painlessly. It's worth a shot, IMO.

Hi, MrsMike! I remember you from the last thread. And your poor DH who wants to get out of Walmart. I hope he finds something better soon!

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
#71 of 315 Old 09-05-2007, 05:31 PM

What about Direct Loans? Even if you can't grants, usually they offer loans?
#72 of 315 Old 09-05-2007, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
That sucks! I have ~110 credits or something, so I'm sure they'd deny me, too. :

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#73 of 315 Old 09-05-2007, 11:40 PM

Quote:
The CC program is the same as Career Step's anyway. Career Step has a scholarship you have to write an essay for, and also loan and other payment options. THe only difference with the EvCC program is that it's not self-paced, and they take fed. fin. aid. But you can save on the Career Step course by:
1. applying for the scholarship
2. paying $1320 for the basic course in full, b/c you'll get a 5% discount
3. upgrading later, if you want the grad support/job placement

You may pay slightly more when you add it all up, but you'll be able to start sooner. And you won't have to finish in 9 months, like the CC requires. CS is less than $2000 even with all the options you could possibly choose, and the CC charges $4200.something for the same thing. Tell me that makes sense? :
#74 of 315 Old 09-05-2007, 11:46 PM

Forgot this earlier... DH starts translating on Friday, so keep your fingers crossed for him! He's afraid he won't do it well enough. I think he'll be fine. But even if he doesn't do well, we'll be no worse off than we are now. In some weird way, that's a comfort.
#75 of 315 Old 09-05-2007, 11:51 PM
Banned

Well crap. We had our van repo'd back in January and I just found out today that they're suing and have a court date set for Monday. We still haven't even been served because for some reason the police can't seem to find us despite knowing exactly where we live Now I have to hurry up and file for bankruptcy so they can't garnish my or DH's wages. Yay.
#76 of 315 Old 09-06-2007, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sweeties1Angel View Post
Well crap. We had our van repo'd back in January and I just found out today that they're suing and have a court date set for Monday. We still haven't even been served because for some reason the police can't seem to find us despite knowing exactly where we live Now I have to hurry up and file for bankruptcy so they can't garnish my or DH's wages. Yay.
I don't understand why'd they sue once they have the van? Or are they just suing for the payments before the van was repo'd?
#77 of 315 Old 09-06-2007, 01:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
I don't understand why'd they sue once they have the van? Or are they just suing for the payments before the van was repo'd?
They want the money for the van. It's standard practice. They're suing for the total purchase price ($15,000) for some reason, even though we paid at least $3,000. What did they do, pay someone to take it??? Eh, they're not getting any money out of me.
#78 of 315 Old 09-06-2007, 06:41 AM

Quote:
The CC program is the same as Career Step's anyway. Career Step has a scholarship you have to write an essay for, and also loan and other payment options. THe only difference with the EvCC program is that it's not self-paced, and they take fed. fin. aid. But you can save on the Career Step course by:
1. applying for the scholarship
2. paying $1320 for the basic course in full, b/c you'll get a 5% discount
3. upgrading later, if you want the grad support/job placement

You may pay slightly more when you add it all up, but you'll be able to start sooner. And you won't have to finish in 9 months, like the CC requires. CS is less than $2000 even with all the options you could possibly choose, and the CC charges $4200.something for the same thing. Tell me that makes sense? :

Oh yeah, that makes total sense. That's why I was thinking that EvCC denying my financial aid was actually a good thing - for all the reasons you just said.
#79 of 315 Old 09-06-2007, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyLizards View Post
You might want to try the appeal, actually. I've had to appeal financial aid twice, for different issues, and it was really simple and easy both times. I just wrote a quick letter telling them why I needed to get fin. aid and what my goals in school were. It was maybe three paragraphs long. Both times I was approved quickly and painlessly. It's worth a shot, IMO.
I thought about it, but I don't really want to add another lump of money to my already huge student loan debt. I think we'll be able to swing the installment plan with Career Step after we get caught up on one of our big bills in a couple of months. But thanks for the encouragement.
#80 of 315 Old 09-06-2007, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Forgot this earlier... DH starts translating on Friday, so keep your fingers crossed for him! He's afraid he won't do it well enough. I think he'll be fine. But even if he doesn't do well, we'll be no worse off than we are now. In some weird way, that's a comfort.
Wishing him lots of luck. :
#81 of 315 Old 09-06-2007, 06:47 AM

Quote:
They want the money for the van. It's standard practice. They're suing for the total purchase price ($15,000) for some reason, even though we paid at least $3,000. What did they do, pay someone to take it??? Eh, they're not getting any money out of me.
What a pain! They're probably suing for interest, too.
#82 of 315 Old 09-06-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Congratulations...I am so jealous. Hopefully soon I will get my behind back in graduate school.

Heidi
#83 of 315 Old 09-06-2007, 11:25 AM

Did you ever have an ah ha moment?

I swear to God I am the biggest idiot sometimes on the planet. I should tell you a little background. Dh and I had pretty good jobs. We were doing okay getting out of debt etc when dh was offered another job at about a 60% pay cut. But it had great benefits (which we need) and the pay raises were/are awesome. We figured it would be a year of extreme tightness that would pay off greatly in the end besides we had my income we would be fine. Well I failed to mention my employer was Satan and I was working in Hell. Well in Feb. I was put on bed rest and ended up quitting my job. Best thing I ever did except now we are ultra poor and short every month. We used up all our savings and have cut everything to the max. Our food budget for a family of 7 is $200. I am getting side tracked. Anyway there is no way I am going back to my career especially with a baby. I am just not going to do it but I do need to bring in a little money to help ease this financial burden our family is occurring. So I looked at UPS, but I am not tying up my evenings as that is family time and I might as well go back to work full time if I am going to do that. What would work would be early mornings at UPS but then I would have daycare issues etc. Then yesterday I went DUH STUPID. I have literally half of garage full of things for eBay. Good things, top dollar things but I never have "time" to list them (yes one day I am going to be walking in the park and find some "time" sitting on the park bench). It hit me like a ton of bricks, if I was willing to get up at 4 am to work for UPS for 4 hours a day why can’t I get up at 4 am and work for myself getting things listed for EBay two or three mornings a week. Gosh I am stupid sometimes.

Heidi
#84 of 315 Old 09-06-2007, 12:07 PM

Heidi, you aren't stupid! I think we all have a ha! moments.

mrskennedy, good luck to your dh! What does he translate?

#85 of 315 Old 09-06-2007, 03:06 PM

mum4boys - Oh my! You are definitly not dumb! I've had one of those big, black 30 gal garbage bags sitting in my washroom for literally months now with all sorts of diapers, clothes, babycarriers, etc to sell. Just can't seem to find the time to get it all listed....

I keep saying I need to do my Career Step application first (since it's "more important" don't you know...) but that doesn't seem to be getting done too quickly either...sigh...I need some free time to get this stuff done. It's HARD to list stuff & write application essays with a 3 yo & a 7 mo old hanging off you! By the time we get the girls to bed at night I don't have the energy to even THINK about doing those things!

Holly
#86 of 315 Old 09-06-2007, 03:07 PM

I found out something verrry interesting today. I went to the school's financial aid office because my student loans are taking forever to come in and I need them. Then, while I was there, I decided to ask about work study, even though I thought it would mean that I would have to work on campus, whcih would mean more commuting for me (it's a 30 minute commute, maybe 45 min.). Anyway, the woman I spoke to let me know that I can volunteer for any non-profit that will have me and the school will pay me $8.70/hr. How amazing is that? I can actually do something interesting and relevant, maybe working at a women's shelter and I will get paid for it. To think that at my last school my work study job involved lots of photo copying and filing in Human Resources. I'm actually excited about this. Now I just have to call around and find somewhere that will accept my (free to them) help.

Oh, and I start tutoring for the YMCA next week, which will give me an extra thirty dollars a week or so. (A lot compared to $0!) Dare I say it.....things may be looking up.....

However dd is turning two on Sunday and I have no money to get her a present. Do you think it matters to a two year old? I am planning to bake her a cake and decorate it like a cat (her favorite thing). And we are getting together with family for a littel party where she is bound to get some gifts.

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
#87 of 315 Old 09-06-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Oh my god. Do they actually come and take it or do you give the van up voluntarily? Don't they usually go on and sell it at auction and deduct that from the money that you owe them? That's what happened with me, anyway. I wound up only owing almost $2000 on my Beetle (god I loved that car...) becuase they sold it for almost what I owed at auction. Of course, I still haven't paid the $2000, cause I don't have it....That's just strange to me that they would be able to charge you the whole amount even though they have the vehicle. Forget strange, actually, it sounds completely screwed up. :

#88 of 315 Old 09-06-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
However dd is turning two on Sunday and I have no money to get her a present. Do you think it matters to a two year old? I am planning to bake her a cake and decorate it like a cat (her favorite thing). And we are getting together with family for a littel party where she is bound to get some gifts.
My son turned 2 in January, and we had no money for a gift. I made him a cake and he was thrilled. My parents also gave him a few gifts. He never knew the difference. Don't worry about gifts for a second birthday. Just enjoy the day!
#89 of 315 Old 09-06-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I found out something verrry interesting today. I went to the school's financial aid office because my student loans are taking forever to come in and I need them. Then, while I was there, I decided to ask about work study, even though I thought it would mean that I would have to work on campus, whcih would mean more commuting for me (it's a 30 minute commute, maybe 45 min.). Anyway, the woman I spoke to let me know that I can volunteer for any non-profit that will have me and the school will pay me $8.70/hr. How amazing is that? I can actually do something interesting and relevant, maybe working at a women's shelter and I will get paid for it. To think that at my last school my work study job involved lots of photo copying and filing in Human Resources. I'm actually excited about this. Now I just have to call around and find somewhere that will accept my (free to them) help.

Oh, and I start tutoring for the YMCA next week, which will give me an extra thirty dollars a week or so. (A lot compared to $0!) Dare I say it.....things may be looking up.....

That's great about the work study!

I am sure your dd will not care about a present. The cake sounds good, and if you have some art supplies, maybe make a card for her or just wrap up a box with some toys she already has in it. 99% of the fun is unwrapping something or having a card.

My kids still have all their cards they have gotten that they play with almost every day and they usually forget about most presents within minutes.

#90 of 315 Old 09-06-2007, 11:39 PM

OMG, we got the tuition waver for all the kids to get free classes through dh's college! This means they will all be in swim lessons, art classes, dd#1 will be in a $500 gymnastics group, free science classes through the kids' science museum, and next semester free piano and karate!

I am so excited! Just had to share. That almost makes the $200 from each of dh's paychecks to be in the union and part of the school worth it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page