"Lower Income Moms" September 2007 Support - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 315 Old 09-12-2007, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the hugs everyone, really appreciate them!

LankyLizards, glad to hear the money's coming!
Too bad about the pesties though... That's awful! Uh, , why can't/won't your father pay for his own pest control? If he did you could get a place faster b/c you'd have more money to work with. (I remember you posting somewhere that he won't do it, though.) But not even for your DD? Yikes! Even my parents would do that... It'd be all you need for the wrong people to find out about the roaches, etc, and start harassing/investigating you and DD.

Hope all works out! Waiting for updates...
#182 of 315 Old 09-13-2007, 03:28 AM

it has been a while since i have posted-a few months back i was freaking out-eviction, dh's business went south, savings gone, homelessness looming. he got a good job, we had to get rid of almost everything and move to a new town but it has been OK. after being homeless for a month, we are now in our own (still rented) townhouse (with a small yard and patio!-and i am working on a garden space) and able to pay bills, etc. i could list all the things we don't have, but right now i am feeling so grateful for what we do. it has been not been easy, i have shed many tears, but we are OK. there is a richness that comes from having good friends that understand, and loving family. in the toughest times, my children always gave me joy and happiness. *hugs* to all of you.
#183 of 315 Old 09-13-2007, 12:59 PM

Things are less then fun here at the moment. After talking with a lot of people he knows doing similar work things are looking bad here. Construction is almost at a stand still and from the sounds of things dh and the guy he works with are lucky to have the remodel that is going to be taking them the next 6 weeks or so. I might get chased out of the state for saying this, but I'm almost hoping for a hurricane or something so they would have work to do : After having spent a year and a half homeless we have been in the duplex we are at now for 8 months I think. If things don't change dh is talking about sending the kids and I to live with my parents. I can't even begin to go in to all the awfulness that would entail. We just badly need some work to fall in to their laps that starts mid October and goes at least through the holidays as a couple people have mentioned wanting things done in January and February.

On the good side of things I just finally get a refund in my pp account so I can get some work related stuff cared for. I'm trying to get some seasonal girls clothing up on my website, but when I have no money to buy material it's maddening. The other good thing is my wonderful friends that decided to help me out in a low spot by buying me a business advertising sig that's good for 6 months. Great friends are something I could not make it through rough times without.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#184 of 315 Old 09-13-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_kristina View Post
Things are less then fun here at the moment. After talking with a lot of people he knows doing similar work things are looking bad here. Construction is almost at a stand still and from the sounds of things dh and the guy he works with are lucky to have the remodel that is going to be taking them the next 6 weeks or so. I might get chased out of the state for saying this, but I'm almost hoping for a hurricane or something so they would have work to do : After having spent a year and a half homeless we have been in the duplex we are at now for 8 months I think. If things don't change dh is talking about sending the kids and I to live with my parents. I can't even begin to go in to all the awfulness that would entail. We just badly need some work to fall in to their laps that starts mid October and goes at least through the holidays as a couple people have mentioned wanting things done in January and February.
That is really funny that you said that about a hurricane. I live in FL, too and was just thinking that the other day - that a hurricane would really create a lot of work for a lot of people. My brother already got laid off because of the construction slow-down (he worked for a cabinet building co.) and my father got his hours cut wayyy back (he does glass work). Of course, obviously the destruction that a hurricane would cause out weighs the benefits, but.....

I have completely messed things up so badly. I was expecting to get $5000 in student loans. I have been waiting for these loans for weeks. I'm sure everyone here knows....I need to use the money to pay for child care, get a computer, and rent an apartment. I have financial aid (grants and scholarships) that will cover my tuition and books. Or so I thought....Turns out that although I am registered for 12 credits for the semester, the fact that one doesn't start until October 22nd means that financial aid considers me a 3/4 student, and will disburse my fin. aid money accordingly. None of the grants I recieved will be disbursed until Oct.22, except for part of the Pell. Which means that when my loans come in tomorrow or Monday they will automatically cover the $3500 tuition that I thought the grants would cover. Leaving me with some money, but not enough to do everything that I need to with it. And guess which thing is going to get cut? Not the child care, not the computer that I need for my online class, the thing that will not be possible anymore is an apartment. It seems, anyway. Which is, really, the most important thing to me.

About the bugs here at my father's house- he is completely opposed to pest control. Not for environmental reasons, but because he thinks it is a waste of money. He also thinks that they are ripping him off. He has said, many times, and to actual pest control co., that he has no way of knowing if they actually do anything. They could just come, walk around the house, leave, and charge him. I actually have a negative mark on my credit report from him refusing to pay one company who came about a year and a half ago. (It was in my name because I was home when they came.) He does not care that there are bugs (the latest is that I have ants in my bed....fun. ) nor does he care that there are rats (or something) in the attic. He gets annoyed with me because I do care.

So now I have really miserable options. I could stay in school, and stay at my father's until I finish school. (January 2009). I could drop out of school and have to pay 25% of the tuition fees. Then I would have to, somehow, find a job quickly while still paying child care. I could stay in school, get a MWF job, go to school on T and R, and also I have the after school tutoring job whcih brings in about $120 a month, and just pinch pennies to get out of here. The last one is the "have it all" option.

Sorry this is long. I'm really trying to digest all of this. I've finally gotten to a point where I am not crying, so I can think somewhat straight. Somewhat.

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
#185 of 315 Old 09-13-2007, 09:27 PM

Arrgh. I'm sorry... this is horribly ranty and complainery and please feel free to scroll right on by it. I know that I need to get over myself but I'm just SO frustrated and tired of all this.

Rent? Bounced. The bank either has the stupidest and rudest customer service department or is using even shadier math than I thought, because DH insists that he was told today that they were going to remove the amount of the check from our balance (leaving us -$600) or so, and put in on 'hold' for 24 hours, charge bounced check fees for any transaction that comes through, and then return the check "NSF" and give us the money back. Which I just don't think is legal! On the other hand, DH has a history of 'mis-hearing' customer service people and getting pissy with them, and then my having to clear it up.

Anyway, we're -$800. My paycheck will hit the bank at midnight, bringing us back into the positive by about $200, and that's IT for the next two weeks. We have a TON of outstanding bills (including a $200+ electric bill because DH seemingly CANNOT comprehend the idea that he can't have the air conditioning down to 65, nor can he run it with the windows open! : ), no groceries and still haven't paid the other half of the deposit on our apartment. If we have an NSF check on top of that, I don't even want to THINK of what our landlord must be thinking of us!

I'm trying really hard NOT to get into that mental place where I'm blaming everything on DH and feeling martyred, but it's HARD. Every paycheck is supposed to be the one where we pay everything off, and every paycheck ends up just pulling our arses out of the fire with nothing left over for basic necessities, much less doing stuff like making spaghetti sauce or jam (my plans for the weekend). This whole mess happened because DH took on the responsibility to watch the finances, and then didn't actually DO anything about it, never mind that all I expect is that he'll keep a weather eye on online banking. I even asked before I made a couple of purchases to make sure we had the money for them, and he said "yeah go ahead." I asked him if he was sure and if he'd checked the account and he assured me he had. Needless to say, they're all bouncing.

There's more to say, but I'm totally running out of steam, so I'll leave my whining at that. Things aren't 100% dismal here; my mom ordered me a brand new sewing machine for my birthday present and had them send it now rather than on my birthday (in December) so I can at least do some baby-related sewing. I'm really praying we have enough PUL and FOE left over from other projects to get at least a bare-bones newborn stash going for this baby... and I really hope it didn't get tossed in the move!
#186 of 315 Old 09-13-2007, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Belleweather, let it all out.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#187 of 315 Old 09-13-2007, 11:55 PM

I've started working at the organic grocery store this week, and I can't believe how much people spend on groceries a week. Today which was the first full day of being on register, I would say 80% of the orders I rang were at least 170.00, which I can understand with organic grapes being 4.99 a pound.

I like the job, but its a 7.00 pay cut an hour and we're cutting it close. The good news is though,that I got them to only schedule me for 2 days during the week and then I work weekends. So I only have to pay 2 days of childcare vs 5.

In the store I work at they sell these packages of gourmet ice cubes from france for 5.00! Who spends money on these kinds of things?
#188 of 315 Old 09-14-2007, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonrisaa29 View Post
In the store I work at they sell these packages of gourmet ice cubes from france for 5.00! Who spends money on these kinds of things?

$5 for premade ice cubes?!?!?!?! : That is INSANE! Who even buys ice cubes??? wow

Michele
 joy.gif
#189 of 315 Old 09-14-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstcargrl View Post
$5 for premade ice cubes?!?!?!?! : That is INSANE! Who even buys ice cubes??? wow
Certainly not the $5 ones, but dh buys them at least a couple times a week when they are working outside. We don't have enough space in the freezer to stock pile enough ice cubes to keep an ice chest full of drinks cold. I'd never thought of buying ice cubes other then the $1 a bag kind. Those come in handy for dh at work and last minute runs to the beach.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#190 of 315 Old 09-14-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleweather View Post

Every paycheck is supposed to be the one where we pay everything off, and every paycheck ends up just pulling our arses out of the fire with nothing left over for basic necessities, much less doing stuff like making spaghetti sauce or jam (my plans for the weekend). This whole mess happened because DH took on the responsibility to watch the finances, and then didn't actually DO anything about it, never mind that all I expect is that he'll keep a weather eye on online banking. I even asked before I made a couple of purchases to make sure we had the money for them, and he said "yeah go ahead." I asked him if he was sure and if he'd checked the account and he assured me he had. Needless to say, they're all bouncing.
You aren't being venty at all.. I can so relate to your post. Its the story of my life, next check is supposed to pay X,Y, and Z but crap happens and it has to pay A, B, and C yet XYZ still need to be paid. So its that constant loop of thinking you are about to get ahead but it never quite happens. That's what happened when I lost my job in July, I was supposed to be moving from being an adjunct to a ft admin position, salary would have doubled, would have benefits and instead I was fired. All our plans up in smoke.

Good news today is I might be doing a 1 day workshop that would net me $900, its a grantwriting workshop and a friend can't teach it and asked if I would be willing to do it.. um hell yeah!! Just waiting for the school district to finalize the details.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#191 of 315 Old 09-14-2007, 11:50 AM

Ok. I am so confused right now as I write this, but yesterday was the worst day, probably of my life, I don't know. After all of the bad stuff that I ofound out yesterday about my student loans, my father came home in a really bad mood. Lately DD, maybe because she is ready to potty train, has been reaching into her dirty diaper (before I even notice she has one) and grabbing handfulls of poo. It is disgusting. Well, she did it last night, as my father was bugging me wanting to know who I called so much on the cell phone. So I, so stressed out, brought DD into the bathroom and started to clean her up with a wash cloth. Yes, I was sort of reaking out. Just saying "Oh my god.." over and over and acting frustrated, not having a tantrum or something. Well, here comes my father stomping into the bathroom, grabbing DD roughly off the floor and cursing at me saying"F***in do something. Clean her the f*** up. She's a f***in mess and you're not f***in doing anything." I told him it was none of his business and he said "F*** you it is my business." So I told him to get the hell out of there and he threw DD down (she didn't get hurt) and stormed away. We didn't speak the rest of the night, but DD was really freaked out and cried herself to sleep and I could hear him saying "Shut up.." and making "annoyed sounds" because of the crying. I brought DD to day care today, but have been online and calling places all morning trying to find some sort of housing or even a temp. shelter. I have to get out of here. There is no way I want to deal with him tonight. What on earth can I do? I called the apartment complex that I am on a waiting list for and told her that I'm possibly homeless and she said "Hmmm....it might be 4-6 more months. Maybe, maybe not...Call us if your income changes." Big help she was. There is a YWCA about an hour and a half away. Should I go there? Will they help me? I am pretty much definitely going to withdraw from school now. I need to get a full time job and figure I can do online classes after I've gotten my life together a little bit. I am feeling so hopeless today and just keep watching the hours go by, knowing that if I don't get out of here, there is sure to be another big scene later tonight.

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
#192 of 315 Old 09-14-2007, 11:57 AM

DEFINITELY call the YWCA and ask them for help. They may be able to point you in the right direction at the very least!

#193 of 315 Old 09-14-2007, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
LankyLizards, I hope you can get out of there soon.
#194 of 315 Old 09-14-2007, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonrisaa29 View Post
I've started working at the organic grocery store this week, and I can't believe how much people spend on groceries a week. Today which was the first full day of being on register, I would say 80% of the orders I rang were at least 170.00, which I can understand with organic grapes being 4.99 a pound.

I like the job, but its a 7.00 pay cut an hour and we're cutting it close. The good news is though,that I got them to only schedule me for 2 days during the week and then I work weekends. So I only have to pay 2 days of childcare vs 5.

Seriously! I've worked at stores like that, too, and wondered the same thing.
#195 of 315 Old 09-14-2007, 03:15 PM

Can I join in on the fun? I've been on the boards some but haven't really explored all the topics, mainly been sticking to the pregnancy, birth, and life with a babe forums. I'm just branching out now.

We're definitely in the "lower income bracket." I'm a college grad (no debt, thank goodness) but chose to be a SAHM, and DH is just starting college. He is a veteran and we are currently living off of his disability payments... which come out to well under the poverty level. And CT is not exactly the cheapest state to live in, but we have to stay here because it's the only place he can get school paid for. So yeah.

Sometimes I feel that that people look down on us because we *chose* to have kids even though we're not meeting some preconceived notion of a proper income. True, we've hit hard times which will take a while to pull out of, but we're good people and I daresay, good parents. Not perfect, but we have a lot of love to go around. So basically I just wanted to say hello.
#196 of 315 Old 09-14-2007, 03:16 PM

Lanky I am so sorry!! Please get out of there. I think things like that only escalate. It sounds like this was the deciding factor, now you know what to do mama. YOu can do it, you are strong, and you will figure it out. It is ok if school has to be on hold for a session or two. Get on your feet and then things will fall into place.
One more

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#197 of 315 Old 09-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Banned

We turned in all of our paperwork to file for bankruptcy yesterday and have to go in the 27th to sign everything. Oddly enough, it feels really good to not have to worry about wages being garnished anymore and the harrassing phone calls should stop. I'll be able to answer the phone again!
#198 of 315 Old 09-14-2007, 04:53 PM

Of course. I knew it was coming....

Dhs big commission check that is once again very overdue and promised today was not given today.

So, we owe rent for July, Aug and Sept.
We'll be getting evicted I'm sure.

I didnt call dh's boss like I wanted to because it made dh mad and feel disrespected & he said its not my place, and it wouldnt get me the results I wanted from his boss, on the other hand dh acts and says he's powerless over his boss cutting him the damn check.
Sheesh, he works 60-80 hr weeks for that company, is basically the backbone of it and get treated like this. And no, he wont go anywhere else for work. He's worked there 10 years and is terrible resistant to change.

Just like dh says he's powerless over his ex who has caused so much BS to happen in our lives. Currently we are paying about 600/mo cash that we dont have (why we got so behind on our rent) on my disabled stepsons meds and supplies he cant do without since she decided to take him off of her insurance months ago when she decided she didnt want him anymore, even though she's court ordered to keep him covered on insurance. Plus shes court ordered to pay for half of the stuff not covered by insurance.
Well....for reasons only he and God know dh can not deal with his ex. He refuses. We have to get into a big fight and I have to practically make him call her for something like this. He finally did call her and she said, well, I'll see what I have in a month or so....he says okay and hangs up.

Yet he gets sooo PO'ed that she gets away with all the crap she does! I've told him time and again, she gets away with it because he lets her! Shoot, if I happen to owe my ex money for some reason, he's calling me just about everyday asking for it....you can bet it makes me motivated to get it to him.

Dh's ex will have to be dealt with through the courts, but how to get money for the lawyer? Such a catch 22. Dh refuses to ask his dad for the money, refuses.
Plus she's keeping child support for my stepson that is garnished out of dhs check every week even though she basically has totally abandoned him in all ways. I dont know how she can live with herself. I dont know where she gets the nerve. She has to be court ordered to do anything, and with the medical insurance situation, even that doesnt work.

Its absolutely crazy and infuriating.

So, this will be a terrible weekend around here. I am just so sick and tired of this crap, from dh, from his boss and from his ex.
I really wish dh would grow a couple, if you know what I mean.......Sorry, that was crass but I am livid.

On the bright side (yes, there is a glimmer of one) stepson got approved for SSI - $51/month! (not such a bright side, huh?!) and medicaid - but something about how it wont cover his prescriptions???? The thing we need it to cover.....I dont know the details, have to ask dh.
Stepson is permanenty and totally disabled, with spina bifida, paralysis, learning disabilities, ect.

OH! and one last little straw to break my back this afternoon....remember how I FINALLY got the nerve to go down and file for a review of my c. support case? I'm worried about knowing when my ex will get the papers about it so I called to ask if they could tell me about when he'd be notified.
THEY CANT FIND ANY INDICATION THAT I WAS THERE AND REQUESTED THE REVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Which means I have to take MORE time off from school and waste MORE gas to go back down there and do it all over again.

I need a drink. :
#199 of 315 Old 09-14-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyLizards View Post
Well, here comes my father stomping into the bathroom, grabbing DD roughly off the floor and cursing at me saying"F***in do something. Clean her the f*** up. She's a f***in mess and you're not f***in doing anything." I told him it was none of his business and he said "F*** you it is my business." So I told him to get the hell out of there and he threw DD down (she didn't get hurt) and stormed away. We didn't speak the rest of the night, but DD was really freaked out and cried herself to sleep and I could hear him saying "Shut up.." and making "annoyed sounds" because of the crying.
Oh Lanky, how terrible! I can't imagine how you must be feeling. s please hang in there! Have you tried the United Way's First Call for Help hotline? It's usually 211 from any phone, but would be in the phone book. They're kind of a catch-all referral service for people who need immediate emergency assistance and might be able to hook you up with a smaller program that you might not know about otherwise.

Quote:
On the bright side (yes, there is a glimmer of one) stepson got approved for SSI - $51/month! (not such a bright side, huh?!) and medicaid - but something about how it wont cover his prescriptions???? The thing we need it to cover.....I dont know the details, have to ask dh.
Stepson is permanenty and totally disabled, with spina bifida, paralysis, learning disabilities, ect.
KentucyDoulaMama: Medicaid covers prescriptions and DME for kids with special health care needs. Is it that his drugs aren't on the 'approved' formulary? Because that's something that you can work with his doctor about. It should also cover all reasonable DME and therapies as well. Perhaps his Biological mama is mistaken, or just uninformed, because I can't think of a situation in which Medicaid through SSI wouldn't cover those things. I did a ton of medicaid advocacy for kids with special health care needs while I was in school, so let me know if I can be of any help.

As for us, DH and I are going down to the Bank and closing our accounts and opening them at the local University Credit Union tomorrow. DH insists that this will fix his problems with the finances... I'm skeptical, but their overdraft fees are WAY less, they have built in $500 overdraft protection, and their online banking actually WORKS with Quicken, so I'm willing to give it a shot. I'm worried they won't let us open an account there, though, because I still have a ChexSystems "record" from 5 years ago -- despite having paid off the account and both me and the bank asking them to remove it. We'll see what happens, but being denied is really going to be embarassing if it happens.
#200 of 315 Old 09-15-2007, 12:07 AM

LankyLizards, I'm so sorry you have to go through this. However,I think its time to REALLY think about moving. PLEASE PLEASE call 211 and find out about emergency shelter for you and your daughter. At this point living with bugs and an abusive grandfather, trumps EVERYTHING. You NEED to get out of there. Your Daughter is going to get hurt by your father at some point. Emotionally, she could never recover from this. THERE MUST be help somewhere. A homelss shelter at this poing might be the better option. Is there any other family member you can turn too? Your living conditions are not okay..What state are you in? I will google and see what I can turn up.
Here in MIlwaukee we have homeless shelters for women and children. If you wait 2 weeks (will you be safe for 2 more weeks?) then you will have 30-45 days to get yourself an apartment and you should haveyour loan check by then.
Hoping there is help somewhere for you. NO mother and child should have to live with bugs and an abusive family member.
C

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#201 of 315 Old 09-15-2007, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursingnaturalmom View Post
LankyLizards, I'm so sorry you have to go through this. However,I think its time to REALLY think about moving. PLEASE PLEASE call 211 and find out about emergency shelter for you and your daughter. At this point living with bugs and an abusive grandfather, trumps EVERYTHING. You NEED to get out of there. Your Daughter is going to get hurt by your father at some point. Emotionally, she could never recover from this. THERE MUST be help somewhere. A homelss shelter at this poing might be the better option. Is there any other family member you can turn too? Your living conditions are not okay..What state are you in? I will google and see what I can turn up.
Here in MIlwaukee we have homeless shelters for women and children. If you wait 2 weeks (will you be safe for 2 more weeks?) then you will have 30-45 days to get yourself an apartment and you should haveyour loan check by then.
Hoping there is help somewhere for you. NO mother and child should have to live with bugs and an abusive family member.
C
: to all of this!

to you, LankyLizards, and KentuckyDoulaMama, and belleweather, and more for the rest of you! Take em if you need em! I got more!

Thinking and praying for all of you!!!
#202 of 315 Old 09-15-2007, 10:09 AM

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. I have to go grocery shopping this am, does anyone know if Trader Joes takes FS's?
Anyway, I'm trying to keep my head up high. Thankful that we aren't behind on rent or bills, just isn't anyting left over for ANYTHING....

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#203 of 315 Old 09-15-2007, 11:32 AM

LankyLizards - Another . Does your college have family housing on campus? It might eat up the rest of your financial aid check, but maybe it would be worth it? Aside from that, I agree try 211 or calling your local dometic violence hotline. They will come and get you and take you somewhere safe until you can get on your feet.

Kentucky - to you too! I'm sorry, but it sounds like the only person your husband *doesn't* have a problem standing up to is YOU. : Seriously, he's OK with putting your family into a really, really bad place financially, eviction, not being able to afford his son's meds, etc by ignoring his employer & ex? I'm sorry, but that just can't fly. I really hate to say it, but maybe it's time you made him more afraid of confrontation with YOU than with anyone else. After all in the end he has to live with you, ya' know?

Maybe it would also help if he changed his mindset so that instead of seeing it as a "confrontation", he can see it as him really helping his boss (yeah, I know...but follow me here...)....See if you're homeless or without a vehicle or without gas to get around, etc he's not going to be very much good at work now will he? Yes, you guys personally need the money, but when he's talking to his boss about it maybe try taking the line that he really needs the check if he's going to stay afloat financially & be able to continue being the great 60-80 hr employee he is? Kind of a "it benefits YOU to do this for me" tact.

I'm not even going to touch the stuff about the ex. Although I worked for years in medical billing & agree it sounds odd that Medicaid wouldn't cover his scripts. You should really look into that, see if you can work with the MD, and definitly check with your school to see if they offer legal services like I posted about earlier. Even 1 free hour could really be a help on the whole ex thing!
#204 of 315 Old 09-15-2007, 12:37 PM

I don't know if TJ takes them, but I'm pretty sure the WF near here does, and so you might want to call and check.

#205 of 315 Old 09-15-2007, 04:58 PM

Our area TJ's takes them.
#206 of 315 Old 09-15-2007, 10:13 PM

Lankylizards, also try Catholic Charities. I know they have housing support as well.
#207 of 315 Old 09-16-2007, 12:55 AM

Hi everyone... So, I just found this board... and spent a couple hours reading through everyone's stuff and figured I should probably post a little introduction. My name is Rachel and I am 22... me and my soon to be dh are expecting our first baby in April, a complete and total shocker baby but we are slowly getting excited. We make do ok, I work as a customer service rep and he does tree removal and stuff... however, we have a ton of bills, mostly from our exes and my lovely waste-of-4-years college degree. We are working really hard to be able to actually pay all our own bills (my mom pays our insurance and gas, we are hugely blessed with my parents) and save money and get stuff paid of before the baby. After the baby is born, I will be staying home, or only working part time on the weekends. This is more important to us then living the high life or whatever. Hopefully, I will be able to work from home for dh's boss, which would be awesome.

Ok, that was kind of long and rambl-y. I just wanted to say hi and it feels great to know that we are not the only ones out there struggling!!!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#208 of 315 Old 09-16-2007, 02:08 AM

Hi Rachel! to you and your family! If it makes you feel better, I'm also 22 and college was a waste for me--I didn't even graduate. But I'm getting better training now while staying home with 6MO DS. I'll be working from home when I'm finished.
You're in my thoughts. Take care, and post here whenever you feel like it!
#209 of 315 Old 09-16-2007, 02:12 AM

Hey! Anyone know how CarsonBookworm and jessiemom (sp?) are doing?
#210 of 315 Old 09-16-2007, 02:46 PM

Hi, everyone! My fatehr is out today so I am finally able to come online. I have been successfully avoiding him all weekend. I think I have a plan. Of ocurse it requires some money, so I'm going to have to figure something out. I spoke to a very good friend of mine who lives about two hours away in a big city (Orlando, FL - much bigger than where I am). She is willing to let me stay with her if I need to and also to help me find an apartment. Hopefully, I will be able to withdraw from the current school I am going to without messing up my financial aid eligibility and go to UCF part time (or full time, we'll see how it goes...) after I'm settled in Orlando. There is at least one really good day care there that I want to look into getting a job at, and enrolling DD at too. I have otehr friends and family there, too and it seems like ti will be a really good move for me and dd. Unfortunately, I will have to quit my new job (which is only 16 hrs a month) before I even really have a chance to start it. I'm supposed to start tomorrow. I should probably just resign in the morning, right? Rather than even start working? I'm excited about getting away from all of this negativity, but also very scared and nervous about being able to afford it. And not making life completely unstable for dd.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page