"Lower Income Moms" September 2007 Support - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 315 Old 09-20-2007, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
CarsonBookworm s how so very scary for you.

Heidi
#242 of 315 Old 09-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Huh, DH didn't have poison ivy after all He went to the urgent care clinic 45 miles away so he could get a note to go back to work tomorrow and found out that apparently it's chigger bites. It looks just like poison ivy and some EMTs he knows thought it was poison ivy. Dammit. He could've been working all week.
#243 of 315 Old 09-20-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskennedy View Post
This morning I found out I'm pg again! Due in June/July. Very excited about babe #2! Plan to tandem nurse. DS will be 15-16 mos by then. I wonder if the pg is why I've been such a B!@# lately? Or maybe I just really am one, but I hope not. : I hope to be done with MT training and be employed by then, though I'm not exactly looking forward to all those changes--walking DS, new baby, new job--but we'll manage. We always do.
Congratulations.

Okay butting my nose in hear as you mentioned being witch lately. Are your blood sugar levels staying stable with being pregnant and nursing? Try increasing your protien intake and see if that helps with the mood.

Heidi
#244 of 315 Old 09-20-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sweeties1Angel View Post
Huh, DH didn't have poison ivy after all He went to the urgent care clinic 45 miles away so he could get a note to go back to work tomorrow and found out that apparently it's chigger bites. It looks just like poison ivy and some EMTs he knows thought it was poison ivy. Dammit. He could've been working all week.

I have no idea what a chigger is.

Heidi
#245 of 315 Old 09-20-2007, 02:11 PM

Well... I was fired/forced to quit my job... now I am uber worried. I mean, I am totally relieved to be out of the hell hole that was my old job, and I now will qualify for state medical (meaning I won't be paying almost 4000 dollars out of pocket to have this baby) but I need a job!!! Eesh!! I think I *may* have a job with dh's boss... which would be ideal, I could work from home and it would be about 25 hours a week. We would need to be much better with our money but I think we can do it... I just need to get a budget going and cut down on some expenses... We really need to get rid of cable but dh and I are butting heads on that one... I need help!! How can we cut expenses?

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#246 of 315 Old 09-20-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
This morning I found out I'm pg again! Due in June/July. Very excited about babe #2! Plan to tandem nurse. DS will be 15-16 mos by then. I wonder if the pg is why I've been such a B!@# lately? Or maybe I just really am one, but I hope not. : I hope to be done with MT training and be employed by then, though I'm not exactly looking forward to all those changes--walking DS, new baby, new job--but we'll manage. We always do.
Congratulations!! I'm very happy for you. And of course you'll manage - you Rock!
#247 of 315 Old 09-20-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chely7425 View Post
I just need to get a budget going and cut down on some expenses... We really need to get rid of cable but dh and I are butting heads on that one... I need help!! How can we cut expenses?
Re cutting expenses: First make a list of all your current expenses and anything/everything that you need/want/might have to spend money on. Include savings, etc. Then figure out what you have income to pay and start cutting with the least necessary items first (like eating out, etc). I realize that this is extremely hard if you don't have extra expenditures in the first place (like for example if you haven't eaten out in two months anyway - like me).

Re Cable: I don't have a dh to fight with over this one. But maybe you could say something like - fine, cable stays - what will you cut instead? Maybe he will either see the point or find something else......

Good luck. I'm taking my budget to some friends (who are like financial geniuses) this weekend. I have a nice budget that works with $5K more a year than what I have. Sigh....
#248 of 315 Old 09-20-2007, 04:15 PM

Our budget barely works... without any surprises and if I can get dh to not buy random stuff at the grocery store... I wish I could just go without him!!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#249 of 315 Old 09-20-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Well... I was fired/forced to quit my job... now I am uber worried. I mean, I am totally relieved to be out of the hell hole that was my old job, and I now will qualify for state medical (meaning I won't be paying almost 4000 dollars out of pocket to have this baby) but I need a job!!! Eesh!! I think I *may* have a job with dh's boss... which would be ideal, I could work from home and it would be about 25 hours a week. We would need to be much better with our money but I think we can do it... I just need to get a budget going and cut down on some expenses... We really need to get rid of cable but dh and I are butting heads on that one... I need help!! How can we cut expenses?
Why were you forced to quit your job. Depending on the circumstances you could qualify for unemployment.

Heidi
#250 of 315 Old 09-20-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Our budget barely works... without any surprises and if I can get dh to not buy random stuff at the grocery store... I wish I could just go without him!!

Make a list of what you need with dh and say we are sticking to the list and only bring cash. Once the cash is gone no more buying groceries.

Heidi
#251 of 315 Old 09-20-2007, 04:45 PM

Good point... they kind of forced me out of my job for being pregnant but I have no way of proving that is what it was. Technically they fired me (I have a letter to prove it) but I already have a job lined up where I can work from home and its just better in general. I am just stressing because it is less money (but better for once the baby comes, no childcare costs) and because I need to get qualified for state medical!

#252 of 315 Old 09-20-2007, 05:08 PM

why did they fire you? Did they give a reason? Depending on the reason they gave you might be able to sue them.

Heidi
#253 of 315 Old 09-20-2007, 09:40 PM

Congratulations, mrskennedy!! How exciting!

Oh my goodness, CarsonBookworm! That is so scary! I hope she's doing ok now.

I have good news - I got an apartment!! We move in next Wednesday. It's a 1BR for me a DD so it will be small but we co-sleep anyway. And it has a washer and dryer, which is awesome. And pest control!

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
#254 of 315 Old 09-20-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyLizards View Post

I have good news - I got an apartment!! We move in next Wednesday. It's a 1BR for me a DD so it will be small but we co-sleep anyway. And it has a washer and dryer, which is awesome. And pest control!
that is really exciting.

Heidi
#255 of 315 Old 09-20-2007, 10:40 PM

Mrs Kennedy,
COngrats!!! how exciting. I am tandem nursing. I have been tandem nursing for 3.5 years. Through 2 different pg's. If you have any questions, let me know. Its great, but very draining and sometimes,I just don't wanna, ya know? But so rewarding.

LL, YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO on the apartment. I'm so happy for you

Carson, I hope everyone is well in your home.

Not much new here. Trying to figure out our weekly needs and budget accordingly. I wanted to mention that Aldi has 2 brand of laundry detergent, Tandil and Astra. Tandil is like Tide and Astra is purex. Anyway both are CHEAP but work great!!!!
Chandi

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#256 of 315 Old 09-20-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyLizards View Post

Congrats on your housing
#257 of 315 Old 09-20-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
How exciting Congrats on the news
#258 of 315 Old 09-20-2007, 11:22 PM

Quote:
is it like flaky stuff or something?
No. It is the oil on some plants that some people are very allergic to. Here is a wikipedia link about it, and another in simple english. Sorry I did not explain myself more clearly. I am glad to hear he does not have poison ivy. Congratulations on your pregnancy.

Chiggers are a little "bug" that can cause itching and small welts. Some people are allergic to them. They like longer, damp grass... like a lawn, and brush.

How scary Carsonbookworm . While I am very happy to hear she is much improved, I hope that the kidney damage is only temporary. Thank goodness you don't have to worry about the medical bills on top of all of that.

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#259 of 315 Old 09-21-2007, 12:06 AM

Ok. This is nuts. I called today about LIHEAP (the heating/energy assistance program) and they said we'd only qualify for $100... WHAT? We have, like, no income and a large rent payment--large compared to our income. And we only qualify for $100? Okaaaaaay. Good thing I actually planned on paying the whole oil bill myself, b/c we really have to now. : But tomorrow I'm checking with the utility cmpanies to see if they can help at all. I figure as long as there's no penalty for making minimum payments or they have some program within our income, why not sign up? (Ok, that sounds like I want a free ride, but I hope you know what I mean. ) If not, we can swing it, but YK, it would be nice to know we have savings/more money to get what we need for cold weather, esp. with my tuition payments now.
#260 of 315 Old 09-21-2007, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Glad for the improvements!
What I'm going to do is call our utility companies and see if they have budget/payment plans we'd qualify for. Maybe that would help you too.
You've probably already heard this, but you should track all your expenses for at least a month, to see what you're spending. I've done this--I think--since July, and it's been a big help.
#261 of 315 Old 09-21-2007, 12:14 AM

Oh, and Rachel, were you fired by the company? B/c if they agree you were fired--not quit--you might be able to get unemployment.
#262 of 315 Old 09-21-2007, 03:45 PM

Hi all! I have read this thread off and on, but never really felt like I should post, since even though we don't have much extra money, dh and I were both employed. Till yesterday.

See my thread

Now dh has no job, and I know things will be fine, but in the meantime, belts have to be tightened.

I'm glad y'all are here, and I've always really appreciated and respected the high level of honor, respect, and generosity of spirit that I have seen in this forum.
#263 of 315 Old 09-21-2007, 07:20 PM

Welcome, Petersmamma! I wish it were iunder better circumstances, though.

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
#264 of 315 Old 09-22-2007, 11:39 AM

Hi mamas - I am guessing I can join in here. I am a mostly SAHM to 3 kids (6, 4, 18m), and I do care for a school-aged girl before/after school as well as work p/t on Saturdays. DH has a good job and even has a good p/t job teaching a college class once a week.

BUT - we just are having a hard time financially. It's partly our circumstances, but partly our fault. I am a spender - always have been. And when we had 1 or 2 kids (who were little and had almost no expenses) things were okay, but we find ourselves tapping into savings waaaayyyy too much these days - and WHAM - all of the sudden we have some crazy credit card debit.

We have NEVER carried balances on our cards - and right now we owe about $1200 on cards. I am so upset about it and blame myself for a lot of it.

Anyway - it was a slap in the face and I am totally aware of the situation now and doing something about it. While we haven't gone as far as to cancel TV or internet, we have cut out any other spending that is not needed. I am looking for an additional part-time job, but finding something that doesn't require child care is so hard.

I think my lowest point was when I had to submit a letter requesting scholarship funds for DS#2's preschool. I serve on the advisory board and know for a fact there is a HUGE scholarship fund there, so we decided to ask for a little help with his schooling (it's $105/month). We've never had to do anything like that before.

We make too much money to qualify for any type of aide otherwise - for anything. So it's a struggle.

But I am thankful - that DH has a job with good benefits AND that we both have p/t jobs that bring in extra money (esp before the holidays!). I am thankful summer is over and these p/t job started up again! I am thankful that the kids are healthy (DD has had ashtma - and it seems she may be outgrowing it! Her $100/month meds were killing us - so YAY for no more meds and double YAY YAY for her health!) and happy. And I am thankful that while it's not fun to be in a financial place we dont' enjoy, that I see where we are and I am taking steps to get out.
#265 of 315 Old 09-22-2007, 12:05 PM

Welcome Lisa and Petersmamma,

Lisa do not beat yourself up you have already done good enough job, . You know you screwed up so figure out why screwed up fix it and move on with your life. Life is too short for blaming yourself for everything.

Heidi
#266 of 315 Old 09-23-2007, 06:10 AM

I just want to say I'm so glad we're not in debt! Sometimes when I calculate our expenses, esp. with my tuition payments now, I think we're not doing very well. But the truth is, if we don't buy anything stupid--i.e something we don't *NEED*--we'll be fine and even have some savings. We don't have even half the $1000 emergency fund "experts" recommend, but we have no debts either. We're also in a much better place than we were even just back in March, when DS was born. We moved around for a month, were disowned by family, emotionally distressed to say the least, broke, and not knowing when or if we'd ever have a place of our own--rented or not. On April Fools Day--no joke!--we signed our lease and we've been happily living here since. DS has a home now. DH and I have a home. We fight so much less than we did before, and I'd even venture to say we have an ok marriage. (Compared to what it was before, even this is like a total 180 in the right direction!) Anyway, we're still low income. But we have the prospect of changing that within the next year or 2, and we're in a better place emotionally and mentally than we've been in a long time. We're also better off without certain members of our families being close, but we live next door to the wonderful ones! Just thought I should share, since I'm finally feeling greatful for what we have, and it didn't even take a crisis to make it so!
#267 of 315 Old 09-23-2007, 06:13 AM

Lisa and Petersmamma!
#268 of 315 Old 09-23-2007, 04:53 PM

I'm an idiot. We've been scrimping on the groceries all month, and since we never really got a chance to restock the pantry or the freezer, it's been slim pickings and beans and rice for weeks. We're down to $100 until payday, and DH and I were sitting in bed trying to work out how the heck we were going to keep gas in the cars AND get enough food to last through the week, and brainstorming meals with the least possible ingredients... when it struck me that we should check and see if we still had anything on the Food Stamp Card, just in case. I expected there to be like $7 on it.

Lo and behold, we have almost $500. An entire MONTH worth of Food Stamps... apparently, we still qualified under my August income, which kept us on the program through the end of September. On one hand, I'm crying with relief because we can buy FOOD. On the other hand I really wish I could smack myself. We'd be in SUCH a better position financially if we'd known we had that available to us.
#269 of 315 Old 09-23-2007, 08:13 PM

Look at it as a gift What a great surprise! For $500 I bet you can buy enough groceries to last two months. I hope that you are able to make it until next payday.

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#270 of 315 Old 09-23-2007, 09:51 PM

Somewhere, previously in this thread I posted about food stamp woes. Well, they finally got their business together, I got $46/month. That's what, $23 more per pay-period? Not much, but it helps us not be so skimpy. Just enough that I can breathe easier and not have to figure out what to put back.
You're not supposed to be able to buy pet food with food stamps, but I realized when we went shopping that since we feed raw she just eats whatever we do plus $10 of chicken quarters & livers - so Dusti does benefit from the food stamps too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page