hanging blankets on windows/doors - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 09-15-2007, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how do you do that? i'm a little concerned with additional holes in the walls but can't think of any other way to hang them. we need to save as much on heating as possible.

tia,

sarah
#2 of 24 Old 09-15-2007, 04:10 PM

If there is molding around the window and doors you can put the nails in the top of the molding, so it can't be seen. That's what I do.
#3 of 24 Old 09-15-2007, 04:14 PM

I've always kind of folded the blanket to fit size wise with the window (a bit overlapping to prevent sun sneaking in) and then pinning that with a safety pin. then I nail it to the molding, not the wall. In DD's room I found that if I nail it on the top of the molding that faces the ceiling you don't see the holes when you take it down and that's always cool...

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#4 of 24 Old 09-15-2007, 04:28 PM

I don't know how heavy your blankets are, but we could always get away with a whole bunch of pushpins to hang things over our windows.
#5 of 24 Old 09-16-2007, 12:26 AM

On interior doors (to rooms we wont be using much, like the guest bedroom) we use tension rods to hold the blanket in place. It means there is a tiny gap at ther very top of the doorway since the tension rod fits into the door frame, but it's not a big gap and it makes it easy to put up and take down the blankets without putting holes in things.

For windows you could use the tension rod, or attach the blanket above the molding where the holes wont show. I have also used weights to hold blankets in place (rolled the end of the blanket around a metal rod or branch) and once I set up something sort of like a clothesline from one corner of the room to another so I could hang blankets and slide them along the wall as needed (I've seen wire systems that do this, but mine was an inexpensive home made thingie).

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#6 of 24 Old 09-16-2007, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You could also buy or make insulated drapes and use that shrinkable weatherstripping plastic. You put the double-sided tape around the moulding and stretch the plastic. Use a hairdryer to shrink any wrinkles out of it. It does a great job to keep drafts out and heat in, and combined with the drapes, you have an attractive solution with no permanent holes.
#7 of 24 Old 09-16-2007, 12:41 PM

Holes in sheetrock are so easy to repair I'd just put it where I want and buy some spackling and repair it when I take them out.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#8 of 24 Old 09-16-2007, 12:55 PM

We are lucky to live in an older home with "curtain rods" in most of the door frames already . Of course, the room that we plan to use as a family room this winter (the den) does not have them. I was going to buy tension rods to hang the blankets from. My issue with those, however, is that I know I will be putting them back up multiple times since the dogs and kids will pull them down without a doubt. So I think what I am going to do is buy brackets and rods for the den doors. It will look a lot like the other doorways then, and will not look too odd when I take the curtains down in the spring.

As for the windows... I use that shrink wrap plastic on the worst windows and we bought insulated drapes for the living room & dining room (from country curtains). They were $$, but they look nice and work very well. Upstairs I pin white towels to the backs of the regular curtains, in addition to puting draft dodgers (in our case, rolled up rags or old diapers... fancy schmancy!) on the sashes. In the basement I just gave up and taped trash bags over the windows with duct tape. Those windows are such a mess and the cinderblock walls make it next to impossible to afix anything temporary.

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#9 of 24 Old 09-16-2007, 02:47 PM

I use tension rods for stuff like this- I got a few spring rods so you can take them down or put them up again with no hassle at all, but they stay up great, haven't fallen on me yet!

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
#10 of 24 Old 09-16-2007, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo View Post
Holes in sheetrock are so easy to repair I'd just put it where I want and buy some spackling and repair it when I take them out.
:

Heidi
#11 of 24 Old 09-16-2007, 08:29 PM

Where can I get that shrinkable plastic for my windows? What is it called? Thanks!
#12 of 24 Old 09-16-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinmcall View Post
Where can I get that shrinkable plastic for my windows? What is it called? Thanks!
You can get it virtually anywhere that sells hardware stuff - your local hardware store, the big box home stores (Home Depot, Lowes), Target, Kmart, the dreaded Walmart.

The most recognizable brand name is 3M (the little plaid logo) - the same company that makes Scotch tape.

lady.gif
#13 of 24 Old 09-16-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Where can I get that shrinkable plastic for my windows?
I've seen it at Lowes, Home Depot, WalMart, Target...just about any store that carries home improvement stuff will have it. I've seen a bunch of different brand names, and it comes in different sizes (like for a sliding door, or a picture window). Just check the back of the package to make sure it's the shrink wrap style.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#14 of 24 Old 09-16-2007, 10:32 PM

For those that use blankets, when do you hang them? All winter? Nighttime only? Super cold days? Are they (blankets) tight around the window or do they just hang there?

Interesting idea
Chandi

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#15 of 24 Old 09-16-2007, 10:53 PM

I hang the blankets as soon as the weather starts to cool...we plastic film all but a few windows in the house, hang blankets over most windows as well, and rooms that will be closed much of the winter (like the guest room) get additional draft blockers and blankets over the door. In rooms we use a lot we might pull the blankets back during the day to get natural light or leave the blankets drawn if the day is extra windy/grey.

I use tension rods in the door or window frame so the blankets do have a small gap at the top. My parents tack the fabric to the top of the frames (so you don't see the tacks/holes) so those are covered completely. The purpose of the blanket isn't to "seal" the opening...it's to create a dead air space that acts as a type of insulation as well as to stop larger drafts. So the space between the door and blanket, or window and blanket is part of what makes this effective.

#16 of 24 Old 09-16-2007, 11:19 PM

I'm thinking about doing this too. My idea is to put a hook on each side of the window near the top (hooks facing up) and the bottom (hooks facing down) and attach heavy wooden dowels to the blanket at the top and bottom. Then I'll rest the top dowel on the hooks facing up and stretch the blanket so the bottom dowel fits snugly under the hooks facing down.

Does that make any sense, lol?

This way I could also pull the bottom dowel up over the top hooks if I wanted to let in some light.

We have an addition that has older windows that are VERY drafty, so I figured that using removable caulk, shrinkable plastic, and the blankets would be pretty effective. Since it's the room our computer is in it's vital we be comfortable there!

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#17 of 24 Old 09-17-2007, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursingnaturalmom View Post
For those that use blankets, when do you hang them? All winter? Nighttime only? Super cold days? Are they (blankets) tight around the window or do they just hang there?

Interesting idea
Chandi
I hang them tight around the window year round in DD's room. She hates bright light in the AM and in the Summer's the sun just beats into her room and makes it super hot. On cool fall days I can take them down and open the windows but I put them back up closer to night time.

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#18 of 24 Old 09-17-2007, 01:25 AM

I second (third? fourth?) the tension rod suggestion! It's what we used, and there were no holes left in the walls or doorways.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#19 of 24 Old 09-17-2007, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderdust View Post
I second (third? fourth?) the tension rod suggestion! It's what we used, and there were no holes left in the walls or doorways.
where did you get them? i've got to go to Target this week so maybe i'll add them to the list if they sell them.

thanks for everyone's suggestions! this is great!

sarah
#20 of 24 Old 09-17-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlyao View Post
where did you get them? i've got to go to Target this week so maybe i'll add them to the list if they sell them.

sarah
i got mine at Target

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
#21 of 24 Old 09-17-2007, 01:07 PM

I use the pull-tight plastic on the outside of my drafty 100+ year old house with original windows. IMO, it lasts longer and is more durable - I just lost some off the back windows that I put up 2 winters ago. Plus, we have custom blinds, so the inside shrink plastic was a no go.

Most of our windows that don't get plastic get blankets, and I just fold them over the rod & safety them to themselves. Pull to the side on nice sunny days, and you can leave your regular curtain up underneath. I also use weather stripping on bad spots like doors.
#22 of 24 Old 09-18-2007, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlyao View Post
I think we might have gotten ours at Target, but we might have gotten them at a hardware store. Home Depot probably has some.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#23 of 24 Old 12-08-2013, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Old thread I know but its cold! Does the weight of the blanket matter? Its subzero here in a 100+ yr old drafty house. I'm on a mission today with plastic and blankets!

Seriously?
#24 of 24 Old 01-07-2014, 11:56 PM

When we lived in a way old farmhouse on a bitter cold island in the winter, we shut off the upstairs, hung the thickest comforters and quilts we could find from the thrift store (with nails above the trim) to stop the airflow between rooms in the house, then big thick ones nailed over the north windows. We left the southern windows with just the expensive shrink plastic to capture as much light as possible, but still, sadly, the electric bill to run three baseboard heaters was over 600/mo. 

Thicker the better, IMO--especially if you have a house that was originally built to keep the airflow running through.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page