Ebay: Can you make money from selling on Ebay? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 09-15-2007, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My family is bad shape again with $. It seems we never enough. I was wondering if selling on Ebay really makes a decent income? Just enough to say get a few bites to eat at the store a week? My mom has a bunch of stuff she said I could sell. I was thinking of trying to think of something I can make to sell on Ebay if I ever get money to by the materials. I dont have a camera. can people sell stuff without a camera?

what would be something good to go into making that i can sell for enough money for say like milk, bread, eggs, and some other foods for like say a week of food? what about hair bows? tutus?

my kids are 10, 7, and 4. i'm due any day now
#2 of 19 Old 09-15-2007, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I do really well on eBay. It just depends on what you have. I am not sure who would buy your items with out a picture though. Do you have anyway of borrowing a camera?

Heidi
#3 of 19 Old 09-15-2007, 07:01 PM

Before I had my ds I did pretty good with ebay too. You really need pics though. Not many people want to buy things they can't see.

Also, do a little research on ebay first. Search for similar items then look at the ones that have ended (on the left side you can do a completed items search). That way you can see what the things are going for and what you might make by selling them. That can help you decide if it's going to be worth it to try to find a camera and take the time to put the items up, answer questions, pack, ship etc.
#4 of 19 Old 09-15-2007, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you girls so much! Very helpful! Off to browse Ebay.

my kids are 10, 7, and 4. i'm due any day now
#5 of 19 Old 09-15-2007, 07:39 PM

I won't buy things that don't have a pic. It scares me. Maybe if you have items that you can use stock photos of (example: you have a book to sell, you can go on google and search for the image and use it. Then just make a note that the pic used is a stock photo and your copy is in ___ condition. that's not illegal is it? .)

You can get really inexpensive digital cameras now. They come with everything you need. The card it comes with doesn't have a whole lot of space on it, but you can just erase them as you upload them. I think fees are reduced for sept.
#6 of 19 Old 09-15-2007, 08:08 PM

We bought a Kodak Easy Share from BestBuy online:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1175389261260

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....s&nrp=15&iht=n

You think your mom would buy you an early X-mas present.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#7 of 19 Old 09-15-2007, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sometimes, your public or school library will have a camera.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#8 of 19 Old 09-15-2007, 11:39 PM

Depends on what you sell, your asking price, description, photos, promotional efforts, how in-demand your item is, how searchable your listing is, etc. But yes, you can. Doesn't mean you will. But you can.

I wouldn't take the time and spend the money to make things. Just sell what you have and/or get things at yard sales. Research though, don't just pick up yard sale junk. If you have big ticket items, you'll make more.
#9 of 19 Old 09-16-2007, 12:05 AM

My sister sells a very popular toy (Webkinz) on ebay. She buys them new locally, starts the bidding at the price she paid and lets crazy people try to out bid each other. She and her dh spend some time searching the toys out and then running to stores, but she does pretty well. Maybe you could find a niche item like that?
#10 of 19 Old 09-16-2007, 03:42 AM

I've made a little money off of a few things that were things that I otherwise might just give away, weird gifts and a few bad judgment purchases. It was hardly worth my time though given the cost of shipping these days. I'd advise to research your item before listing make sure it sells well and isn't heavy.
#11 of 19 Old 09-16-2007, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natashaccat View Post
I've made a little money off of a few things that were things that I otherwise might just give away, weird gifts and a few bad judgment purchases. It was hardly worth my time though given the cost of shipping these days. I'd advise to research your item before listing make sure it sells well and isn't heavy.

This is true!! My husband sells a lot of high-tech surplus items and makes money, but it's because not many people have what he sells and a lot want it. However, I tried selling clothing and baby stuff and got nowhere. I'd suggest if you do have clothing items to sell to maybe try a store that buys these items outright (not consignment) and pays cash. I know there's a few in my town that do that. I guess I agree with a lot of the previous posters that is does depend on what your item is, how in demand it will be, and if everyone else is selling it already or not. Good luck in your endeavors!!

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

#12 of 19 Old 09-16-2007, 01:04 PM

I had an internet store for a number of years and am presently getting rid of the last of my inventory on eBay. If it is not a name brand someone is looking for it rarely sells. If it is not brand new and competing with brand new versions it will rarely sell. If it is used and not popular it rarely sells. eBay has turned into a place for retailers to dump unsold new merchandise. The fees are high and the buyers a PITA. For me if an item is not going to sell for more then $15 its not worth the hassle because of all the fees. You must have photos.
#13 of 19 Old 09-16-2007, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by natashaccat View Post
It was hardly worth my time though given the cost of shipping these days.

The purchaser pays for shipping not the seller.

Heidi
#14 of 19 Old 09-16-2007, 05:33 PM

Yeah, but as a buyer i take into account shipping fees when making my bid.
#15 of 19 Old 09-16-2007, 09:26 PM

Amazon.com has done much better for me (in the long term). Before selling on eBAY, check if the item is listed/available on Amazon.

There are tens of thousands of peoples scouring yard sales and thrift shops and discount stores for eBAy-able items ... so there is a lot of competition and less money to be made than 5 years ago or so.
#16 of 19 Old 09-17-2007, 11:38 AM

We sell sports figures on ebay that dh and his dad collected when dh was a kid. Some of them are worth nothing, some are worth a lot. We make money regardless of how much they sell for (we start them at $1.99) because we didn't actually pay for them and fil has said he doesn't mind if we sell them.

We also recently sold some antique fishing lures dh has. Those have sold well, too.

I don't mind selling on ebay but we don't buy on ebay because it is flooded with the ebay stores. I would rather buy another person's used but in good condition goods than a new item from a retailer.

If you want to be successful, the first thing you need to do is get a digital camera. We couldn't sell what we do without pictures, and I don't imagine there is much - or anything - that would sell without a picture of it.

HTH, and good luck!
#17 of 19 Old 09-17-2007, 09:31 PM

How about www.craigslist.com? It's free and you can post locally and people can look at it in person before buying.
#18 of 19 Old 09-17-2007, 11:28 PM

I've done well on eBay but you can't expect it to be any sort of real income by just selling what you have. To make money you need to buy at wholesale, and that takes a little bit of startup but the great thing about eBay is that you can start small. If you sell small things you don't even need a digital camera, you can get away with putting them on a scanner that costs $50 or less. The scanner just takes a little picture of what fits on the flatbed. You also need to take into account packaging and shipping. Most of what I sell I use the bags and boxes provided by the post office because if it's more than 13 oz it automatically has to go Priority anyway. So it saves me a ton in shipping supplies. I bought a $15 scale on eBay to make sure I didn't lose any money on shipping.

Another thing is you have to treat it like a job and develop good habits. I have times of the day when I package, ship and go to the post office. Start out small and see if you like it. And find something you'd enjoy selling.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#19 of 19 Old 09-18-2007, 12:05 AM

Craigslist.com has been a life saver for us. We are living on the edge of our money right now and making it between paychecks with Craigslist sales. Lucky for us, back in our days of plenty we bought tons of stuff that we've been able to liquidate now. I literally sell an item and head off to the grocery store for necessities.

I've sold most of my baby gear (no clothes though), DVDs, CDs, books, furniture, old gardening stuff, potted plants, kitchen appliances, and knick knacks. I look every day in the wanted section too in case I have something some one wants--that's proven to be a good outlet for things I hadn't thought of selling yet.

Posting is free and very easy to do. I do think photos are important to sell here too.

treehugger.gifdh + geek.gifme + biggrinbounce.gifdd 9/06 + rainbow1284.gifbabyf.gifdd 5/13

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page