Oct No-Spend Challenge: End of the month is here. Hang on No-spenders Almost There! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 1542 Old 10-03-2007, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nina_yyc View Post
Arrrrgh. I don't know your situation but in case it helps, it's taken me three years to brainwash DH. It's a process.
Yeah it sure is that... Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#302 of 1542 Old 10-03-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisac77 View Post
I usually prioritized the cc payments. So if I didn't have enough to cover everything, I would pay the minimums but then I would end up charging on the cc again. Over the summer we were really in dire straits an DH couldn't contribute anything. I ended up letting a couple of cc payments slide, but then I managed to make them in subsequent months.
I see. Our situation would be that we wouldn't be able to make the min payments, but wouldn't be charging, either. I wish that the people behind the cc's were human and would work with people BEFORE they default and owe tons of money in late charges, etc. :
#303 of 1542 Old 10-03-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskennedy View Post
Help me, mamas! For the first time, I want to drop out of the challenge... And it's only the 2nd! But it's b/c of that that I don't want to continue. Of course, that doesn't mean I'll be spending, or won't be tracking. I have to keep not spending and keep tracking b/c if I don't, who knows what will happen to us. But since DH has pretty much screwed up this month, I'm discouraged. I wish I could make him PAY! But nothing effects him. And I can't leave the bills to him so he knows how it feels, b/c he won't pay them. SO what do I do?
Anyone have some wine? Beer? Bean dip? Etc?
Who has the nacho fixin's? You need to share with Mrs.Kennedy!
#304 of 1542 Old 10-03-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlita View Post
Erhm, maybe I should have specified that my cravings are for sweet things that consist of either chocolate or something with butter and flour. I used to have enough self-control to use fruit as a sweet, but something about being pregnant and drifting into the habit of buying a cookie or M&Ms each afternoon... well, I'm a work in process, what can I say.
Me, too, girl. Me too.
#305 of 1542 Old 10-03-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersmamma View Post
I see. Our situation would be that we wouldn't be able to make the min payments, but wouldn't be charging, either. I wish that the people behind the cc's were human and would work with people BEFORE they default and owe tons of money in late charges, etc. :
:
Someday they'll get it... When it happens to them. MWAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
#306 of 1542 Old 10-03-2007, 04:54 PM

So today, not so great. I had to get the car serviced, it needed new brakes, so that was $427. I was downright starving so I bought breakfast, $5. Then I went to the grocery store, $55, then, b/c I was shopping hungry, I bought lunch, $5. So $10 was non-essential. Bad me.

I did something good though (as long as we stick with it). I made a list last night of 25 meals that can be made with what's in the house, plus a few staples I picked up today. I told DH we NEED to do this, he's on board (for now anyway). Breakfasts and lunches are mostly covered, and we may need some produce or dairy at the end of the month, but aside of that, I should be able to avoid the store.

AGGHHHHH!!! Just now it dawned on me that b/c DS was fussing in the last aisle I was hurrying and I forgot to get half and half for my coffee tomorrow... that means either I have to have DH get it on the way home (and it won't be the stuff that was on sale), or I have to go out again. GRRRRR!!!

New totals:

1/15 no spend days
1/15 let the car rest days
: $15/$200 non-essential spending
#307 of 1542 Old 10-03-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersmamma View Post
We're there, too. We're to the point that in order to make the minimum payments every month, we have to charge everything else, which, of course, only eats in deaper . Honestly, I'm not sure what to do, but I figure that no-spending is a good start, and we're transfering balances to lower interest cards, etc just to try to reorganize and keep up with it all.

Homeschooling mom of 2 rambunctious, loving, spectacular boys, wife to an incredible man who has been my best friend on this journey <3

#308 of 1542 Old 10-03-2007, 05:39 PM

I did it, I did it!!! I bypassed Starbucks after gymnastics today!!! I am so proud of myself. I was sweaty and thirsty after chasing the toddler around for an hour and dying for an iced coffee, and the girls were clamoring and complaining because they wanted their shortbread cookies, but I said no and used all my willpower and went straight home. It was even extra hard because I accidentally made a wrong a turn and ended up having to drive right past the darn place, and I almost caved. But I said it out loud to my DD1 (5), that I wanted a coffee very badly, but I wasn't going to get one because I needed to save money and we had coffee at home. That made it easier to stick to I couldn't very well go back after that! Woohoo! So...

10/1 -- Spent $15 on nonessential groceries
10/2 -- Spent $2 in car change on sour cream to replace the one I didn't know had gone bad in the fridge for our quesadilla dinner
10/3 -- $0, baby!

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#309 of 1542 Old 10-03-2007, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah Melissa! Way to go

#310 of 1542 Old 10-03-2007, 06:03 PM

3 days in a row! Yay!

I know tommorrow will be a spend day (but it will be in the necessary category : ),so it is nice to have a fairly good start at the month!

Oct 1
Oct 2
Oct 3

No Spend Days: 3/31
No Diaperswappers/etsy: 3/31
Save $750
Park the car days = 0/7

My exceptions:
Halloween costumes
Disneyland park tickets
Food for dd's birthday party
#311 of 1542 Old 10-03-2007, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

02.. ,
03.. $9.54 school pictures

My Goals:

1. No Spend Days: 2/20
2. Let the Car Rest Days: 1/13
3. Gym Days: 1/16 (use what I've already paid for)

Oh my goodness! You ladies have been posty today...six pages of posts since I updated yesterday. Whew!

I won't get a chance to read them today...but Yeah!!! Go No-Spenders!!!

#312 of 1542 Old 10-03-2007, 06:23 PM

All right, I'm joining!! I never make it very far on these darn things, so this time I am going to make some * REALISTIC * expectations!

I am going to pledge to .... $50 of "blow money" (it always makes me think it's for my cocaine habit...) and following the ZERO BASED budget I wrote. I need to pay $75/week back to my boss for a loan he gave me, and we need to give both my mom and the auto mechanic $200 each this month. We have $500 in our emergency fund now, and I would like to get $100 more into it this month. I get paid on Friday so:

10/5: $75 to Russell, $50 to Mom, $50 to PA Tire
10/12: $75 to Russell, $50 to Mom, $50 to PA Tire
10/19: $75 to Russell, $50 to Mom, $50 to PA Tire
10/26: $75 to Russell, $50 to Mom, $50 to PA Tire

Blow Money: $2/$50 spent (hot chocolate on Monday)
Emergency Fund: 0/$100 goal

Oh, and an introduction - I'm Rose, I work FT, go to school FT (starting next Monday) and I have two little men. DP is transitioning over to working FT evenings instead of days this month, which we estimate should cut our childcare by about 40%.

We had the most horrible month financially in August, with two layoffs, a legal problem, and two urgent fixes on vehicles. We are trying to recover.
#313 of 1542 Old 10-03-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissel View Post
I did it, I did it!!! I bypassed Starbucks after gymnastics today!!! I am so proud of myself. I was sweaty and thirsty after chasing the toddler around for an hour and dying for an iced coffee, and the girls were clamoring and complaining because they wanted their shortbread cookies, but I said no and used all my willpower and went straight home. It was even extra hard because I accidentally made a wrong a turn and ended up having to drive right past the darn place, and I almost caved. But I said it out loud to my DD1 (5), that I wanted a coffee very badly, but I wasn't going to get one because I needed to save money and we had coffee at home. That made it easier to stick to I couldn't very well go back after that! Woohoo! So...

10/1 -- Spent $15 on nonessential groceries
10/2 -- Spent $2 in car change on sour cream to replace the one I didn't know had gone bad in the fridge for our quesadilla dinner
10/3 -- $0, baby!
All right mama! You ROCK!!!
#314 of 1542 Old 10-03-2007, 06:26 PM

Yay Melissa!! Well we had a change of plans and ended up only going to the local farmers market where I spent $22 (damn homemade cookie lady ) Breakfast with tip was $17, but ended up going to Starbucks and dh & I spent $13 (2 drinks, snacks and a cup for dd). So aside from the Starbucks run, I stayed on track, will take the Starbucks visit out of the clothing $$$. Needless to say, must avoid that again.

I am enjoying this process, its definitely keeping me focused on my spending, so even if I dn't hit my goals this first month, the fact that I am paying attention is key.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#315 of 1542 Old 10-03-2007, 06:33 PM

Oct 1
Oct 2 $13 on Subway :
Oct 3

Keep on truckin ladies!
#316 of 1542 Old 10-03-2007, 06:35 PM

everybody! I know it's a small success, relatively speaking, but I am so good at justifying all those little expenditures for myself, and terrible at delaying gratification, so it was kind of a big deal. Thank you all for making me feel so great about it--that will help me bypass it again next time The support is making a huge difference

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#317 of 1542 Old 10-03-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayinme View Post
I am enjoying this process, its definitely keeping me focused on my spending, so even if I dn't hit my goals this first month, the fact that I am paying attention is key.

Shay
ITA.

#318 of 1542 Old 10-03-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayinme View Post
:

Sigh. Still no real no-spend/no-drive day. I realized last night that I had to go to the bank today and deposit some money into my buying club's account if I want to get an order in this month, and the bank is over 1 1/2 miles away. So I technically COULD have walked, but I'm not really used to walking three miles at a time.

And then I needed a sympathy card for my BIL (his dad just died) and some q-tips, so I spent money on that (though I did walk to CVS to get those things).

So:

10/1: $152.06 car repair
10/2: $74.31 groceries
10/3: $200 deposit into the United Natural Foods Buying Club account and $5.26 for a sympathy card and q-tips

I will be driving and spending again tomorrow, but it's our weekly trip to visit my parents and then we always try to run an errand on the way to save gas, and we do need a few things.

I have to say, though, that even though I can't report any true successes so far, this whole process is making me really think. In the past I would have bought one or more trashy magazines at CVS (there's one with a photo of Katie Holmes giving Tom the stink eye on the cover, and I sooooo wanted to get it), along with some kind of small toy for DS. Today I was so good! I'm proud of myself for that.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#319 of 1542 Old 10-03-2007, 07:18 PM

1st Necessities
2nd Food, gas, coffee -- all within budget
3rd

groceries: 38.80/$800
gas: 30/$250
coffee: 1.73/$30
Halloween: 0/$40
fast food: 0/$25
personal products: $30/$50

1/15 no spend days

Yay! I actually had a no spend day! It was really, really hard to resist that coffee though. Everything else I can do without, but coffee. : I am hoping to have one tomorrow as well.

I did make those sweet, vegan carrot cupcakes! To satisfy my green tea latte craving I made vegan green tea cupcakes too! Yum.
#320 of 1542 Old 10-03-2007, 07:41 PM

I spent $2 on a coffee this morning. It's my first non-necessary expense of the month.
#321 of 1542 Old 10-03-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
In the past I would have bought one or more trashy magazines at CVS (there's one with a photo of Katie Holmes giving Tom the stink eye on the cover, and I sooooo wanted to get it), along with some kind of small toy for DS. Today I was so good! I'm proud of myself for that.
#322 of 1542 Old 10-03-2007, 07:52 PM

Oh my goodness! 7 pages since I last logged in, I am not going to be able to keep up ladies

I forgot a HUGE thing last month, I put $100 into our savings acct!!

I am also adding a new goal, no store bought snacks, I will make all of our own snacks and start making our own yogurt.

Oct 1:
Oct 2:
Oct 3: pre-emptively putting my dude up. Only thing I plan to buy is DD2s brown boots from ebay, as long as the bidding does not go over $12. If it does I will continue looking. I also need to buy rainboots and jackets & umbrellas for everyone. They werent kidding when they say it rains a lot in Seattle

Goals to date:
3/23 no spend days
3/31 car rest days
day 1 of quitting smoking
added $50 to savings acct
paid off apartment lease debt $2300
paid off cell phone debt $383.96
#323 of 1542 Old 10-03-2007, 08:16 PM

10/1: No spending!
10/2: No spending! (not having a car is a real help!)
10/3: budgetted spending on gas, health & beauty products, and groceries ($80) and $6 discretionary for chocolate covered almonds and a drip coffee. Have not bought the drip coffee today, so will save that money for tomorrow.

OCTOBER GOALS
2/10 actual no-spend days
6/100 in discretionary/preventable spending
0/5 lattes
0/0 unfunded credit card charges
*figure out how to cheaply accomodate late afternoon need to buy and eat something sweet.... or overcome the need.
*get back to the budget and make it work: have tinkered with it so that it will work for the next month, but it still needs some editing work after that
#324 of 1542 Old 10-03-2007, 08:17 PM

Well I had one of those impulse bids yesterday on ebay..Today I got outbid! I have never been excited about being outbid before! And I won't bid on the item again (even though it was a really cute hanna andersson drfess for dd)

What I am going to do since dd's birthday is next week, is I am going to ask my mom and my mother in law to get her maybe just a few art supplies since she LOVES them, and skip the big toy gift this year, and instead get us a gift certificate for her, or some $ for our Disneyland trip..She has WAAAYY to many toys..
#325 of 1542 Old 10-03-2007, 08:17 PM

Oct 1
Oct 2 ($ spent but in budget - rent, groceries, bills, baby socks)
Oct 3 ($ spent but in budget - homeschool membership, soccer class fee)

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#326 of 1542 Old 10-03-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex80 View Post
How about getting a big bag of M&Ms and putting it in the freezer or fridge? Buying in bulk, if you will?

I found that the peanut butter M&Ms were the most satisfying. :

Are you looking for a healthier/cheaper replacement or are you trying to stave off the craving?
I tried buying a big thing of M&Ms at Costco, thinking I would take a packet a day and they would last 12 weeks and I would save bunches of money... expect that I ate them in multiple-packet sessions. I think I need to work on staving off the craving. If I have a large volume of yummies around, I eat them. All of them. So I need to get things in small allotments.

Today I had two cookies that I got for free at the dentist (odd, I know). And some chocolate covered almonds that I bought with the intent that they would be my snack tomorrow. I'm just too much about the immediate gratification!
#327 of 1542 Old 10-03-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkenna&lucas View Post
Well I had one of those impulse bids yesterday on ebay..Today I got outbid! I have never been excited about being outbid before! And I won't bid on the item again (even though it was a really cute hanna andersson drfess for dd)

What I am going to do since dd's birthday is next week, is I am going to ask my mom and my mother in law to get her maybe just a few art supplies since she LOVES them, and skip the big toy gift this year, and instead get us a gift certificate for her, or some $ for our Disneyland trip..She has WAAAYY to many toys..
This is big progress!!! Congrats!
#328 of 1542 Old 10-03-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIBE View Post
Oh my goodness! 7 pages since I last logged in, I am not going to be able to keep up ladies

I forgot a HUGE thing last month, I put $100 into our savings acct!!

I am also adding a new goal, no store bought snacks, I will make all of our own snacks and start making our own yogurt.

Oct 1:
Oct 2:
Oct 3: pre-emptively putting my dude up. Only thing I plan to buy is DD2s brown boots from ebay, as long as the bidding does not go over $12. If it does I will continue looking. I also need to buy rainboots and jackets & umbrellas for everyone. They werent kidding when they say it rains a lot in Seattle

Goals to date:
3/23 no spend days
3/31 car rest days
day 1 of quitting smoking
added $50 to savings acct
paid off apartment lease debt $2300
paid off cell phone debt $383.96
Wow TRIBE you're doing great! Congrats on paying the debts and saving, too! Keep up the awesome work!!!
#329 of 1542 Old 10-03-2007, 08:55 PM

I'm coming back to say that I just spent $108.31 at LuckyVitamin.com -- shampoo, conditioner, and supplements. But I don't feel too bad about it, since I was planning on buying these things anyway, and they are SO much cheaper at LV than at our co-op. (I also got free shipping and no taxes.)

And I also transferred the money right from our checking account to the credit card to pay it off right away, and I'm going to put it under our grocery spending in the budget.

So my updated totals are:

10/1: $152.06 car repair
10/2: $74.31 groceries
10/3: $313.57 ($200 deposit into the United Natural Foods Buying Club account and $5.26 for a sympathy card and q-tips and $108.31 in supplements and shampoo/conditioner at LuckyVitamin.com)

But now we don't have to stop at any stores on the way to my parents' house tomorrow, so maybe we'll stay home a little longer and do some cleaning instead!

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#330 of 1542 Old 10-03-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
Today I was so good! I'm proud of myself for that.
: I'm proud of you too!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page