Oct No-Spend Challenge: End of the month is here. Hang on No-spenders Almost There! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 1542 Old 10-04-2007, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Day 3 update b/c of the stupid pizza:

1/15 no spend days
1/15 let the car rest days
: $25.70/$200 non-essential spending
#362 of 1542 Old 10-04-2007, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Heather*** View Post
***October***

3 Groceries

DH and I are going to have a serious discussion about money! We thought there was a problem with his bank account, that possibly someone took some money from it. DH had to go to work so I checked it after he left. Turns out someone did take money, DH! He withdrew a total of $560 in cash over the last month. That was spent on cigarettes, lunches (when he didn't have one) stupid evil Tim Horton coffees and other "frivolous" items. Ok, I'll admit some of that money was given to me... to go to a thrift shop! Grocery store! Garage sale! To buy cheap and frugal items while he's blowing it all! :

This seriously hurt me. WTH? I'm pretty sure he didn't realize how much he spent. He's about to have an 'A HA' moment. No maybes about it!

Budgeted spending:
$120/350 groceries
$0/50 gas
$3.75/25 crazy money
$0/30 footwear
$0/30 to give away

***$255 on car registration due Oct 31, let's see how early I can pay it! ***
I am so sorry, that would make me VERY upset. I would totally feel like the victim, I mean, not know that you spend that much? I hope you can open his eyes and get him to support you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liangel View Post
Oct 1- $9.51 for pity wine and some cheese snack sticks. The pity wine is because I got AF today. Not a good thing when you are trying to get pg!

Oct 2- $2.36 on Sonic shake. I am ashamed. I really am not off to a good start this month.

Oct 3- I get 2 winks cause I went to Target with my sister and bought NOTHING!!!! Nada zip zero. She went to pick up some shoes for my niece's costume and she bought a Halloween wreath. She kept asking me if I needed to get anything, so it wouldn't be like I was following her around with the shopping cart. Believe me I saw plenty of stuff I wanted. So yay me!
that is the hardest, being actually in the store and not picking anything up! yay!

I can't get online tonight, so I'll record that I payed 80 bucks on train tickets (necessary uni trip) and will buy snack bars for the trip and flowers for the friends I'm staying with. That's 4€ non-essential spending. But is in line with my no health food store sweets and no clothing purchase. Tomorrow, when I am FREE I will update my goals etc.

happy non-spending!

hh2.gif

#363 of 1542 Old 10-04-2007, 09:03 AM

[QUOTE=melissel;9340747: I am so good at justifying all those little expenditures for myself, and terrible at delaying gratification, so it was kind of a big deal. [/QUOTE]

Are we twins? You just summed me up in one sentence!

Spent money on food and dry cleaning yesterday, but it was budgeted and paid caah!

Today I'm going to spend money at the coffee shop where my mom's group is meeting.: And a tip for the massage my mom bought me! But I'm using my blow cash for each.

Stats:

No spend days: 0/10
No grocery store days: 3/31
Use something from pantry or freezer: 3/31
Pay extra on cc: $748.20 woo-hoo!
Days using only cash:2/31
Eating Out: 0/200
#364 of 1542 Old 10-04-2007, 09:22 AM

Oct 1 - Only planned spending within budget today
Oct 2 - Only planned spending today
Oct 3 -

Yesterday was good. We had Sparks and I didn't eat fast food...woo hoo! However because I ate the leftovers that were in the fridge for dinner last night I had nothing to bring for lunch today. Oh well, it's a process....

No Spend Days: 0/15
No Restaurant/Take-out Days: 2/20
#365 of 1542 Old 10-04-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle524 View Post
This is such a hard thing. My DH takes money from our account regularly and I always see it on the bank statement (I check our account almost daily b/c of this). But, his spending money for last month was $340. This is for lunches, coffees, etc. Bear in mind that he also sometimes debits these things too when he doesn't have time to go to the ATM. What kills me though is that he also uses this money for cabs when he's travelling to clients and then takes forever to submit an expense report. There is no way for me to budget for his whims and work expenses. So I try to take as little as possible spending money (I debit everything usually so that all the ATM withdrawals are his) and I try to show him how much he's spending, but he makes excuses (I can't carry lunch or coffee on the bus, I have to take cabs to go all the way downtown). I know it's partially legit, but it's so frustrating when 2x in one week he'll take out $60 when I know he started with $40 in his wallet!!

Sometimes they don't get it.
I could have written this post. Especially the part about the work expenses. dh travelled a ton for work last month and I have been bugging him to submit those expenses....hello the gas bill for last month is $550....sometimes they don't get it!
#366 of 1542 Old 10-04-2007, 09:45 AM

I only spent 15.00 yesterday. We are getting a fence and I had to buy 2 padlocks for the gates. I didn't use the CC, I used some cash that our neighbors gave us from when we split a bunch of hot wings over the weekend (which I *had* put on the CC ). That is one of my oldest tricks---to offer to split something with someone who had cash. I would put it all on the card and then I would have some cash that couldn't be "tracked". Pitiful, huh?

Everyone is doing GREAT!! What an awesome support system here.

Big s to the mamas who are quitting smoking. That is so important!! Also, to the mama who said about wanting to buy the trashy mag at CVS---I recently started getting older mags from the library. Ours has a big table with issues from the past few weeks and I can take them home and read for free! I used to go to Barnes & Noble and read them for free there, but I always got sucked into the cafe and would buy cake or a cookie and coffee.

Yay for staying, mrskennedy!

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#367 of 1542 Old 10-04-2007, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Spent $5.85 from my allowance yesterday to get ice for me (I love the ice from 7-11 that comes in a bag), M&Ms for ds1 and Skittles for dd.

Non-bill spending
Groceries/household: $95/$400
Gas for van: $45/$90
My allowance: $15.15/$40

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#368 of 1542 Old 10-04-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex80 View Post
That is one of my oldest tricks---to offer to split something with someone who had cash. I would put it all on the card and then I would have some cash that couldn't be "tracked". Pitiful, huh?
I used to do this all the time. I called it Human ATM. If it's pitiful to do, I think it's probably worse to name it.
#369 of 1542 Old 10-04-2007, 11:41 AM

10/01 +checking deposit/-$2.79 organic chocolate
10/02 -$221.11 for Naturopath, -$8.56 for DD's med records and -$7.42 for lunch.
10/03 -$141.84 @ co-op, -$34.75 @ CUB Foods
Didn't BUY "Not Buying It"!
NO CAR DAYS: 1/31
HOME COOK'n: 3/31
Smart Spendr: 2/31

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#370 of 1542 Old 10-04-2007, 11:58 AM

Ack, fell off the wagon today. I bought 2 trainers on the TP, for my DD2, who's PLing rapidly and really wants to be able to do her own pants. In my defense (ha!), we've been using sposies during the day, so the trainers should put an end to that, and I had bought some Bummis trainers that came yesterday but that are too small in the legs and waist. So I'm paying for these trainers out my available PP (from selling on the TP), will be re-selling the Bummis trainers, and will be re-selling these trainers when we're done with them. AND they're Snap-EZ trainers, which cost as much new as I paid for 2 of them on the TP. So I feel guilty, but not too guilty

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#371 of 1542 Old 10-04-2007, 12:12 PM

Oct. 1: $36 gas (necessary!)
Oct. 2: nada, baby!
Oct. 3: $28 at grocery store (necessary)

First off, holy cannoli! : I had a tough time finding my own post so I didn't have to retype previous days! Whew! Anyone have search suggestions to find your own post? Maybe I should always type some weird word, like rutabaga. There. Now I can search for rutabaga and find my post tomorrow!

Second, I am SO proud of myself for getting a week's worth of groceries for 3 for $28! Woo-hoo! Of course, that doesn't include toiletries AT ALL. And we used to get organic produce, which we aren't right now to save money. But still, it gives me hope and opens my eyes as to how much I was spending before. Oh, and I am eating out of the pantry and freezer a lot right now.

Dh actually had the nerve to ask me where the ice cream was when I got home. : I know he was kind of kidding, but when we have a month, two at most, before we can't pay all our bills, there's no room in the budget for anything luxurious. Sorry, buddy. Get a damn jobby job and we'll talk about the Chunky Monkey!
#372 of 1542 Old 10-04-2007, 12:12 PM

1 Skipped the movie I was invited too because it wasn't budgeted
2 Brought lunch to work and didn't go for the afternoon coffee I desperately need
3 Grabbed a cup of coffee on the way to work (1.75), not budgeted. Emergency Cab Ride (24.75)
4 Going to a play with a friend tonite, not budgeted (10.00)

1. Stick to the budget 2/31
2. Do not let peer pressure affect my spending 3/31
3. Stash away the debit cards 3/31

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09
#373 of 1542 Old 10-04-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Heather*** View Post
***October***

3 Groceries

DH and I are going to have a serious discussion about money! We thought there was a problem with his bank account, that possibly someone took some money from it. DH had to go to work so I checked it after he left. Turns out someone did take money, DH! He withdrew a total of $560 in cash over the last month. That was spent on cigarettes, lunches (when he didn't have one) stupid evil Tim Horton coffees and other "frivolous" items. Ok, I'll admit some of that money was given to me... to go to a thrift shop! Grocery store! Garage sale! To buy cheap and frugal items while he's blowing it all! :

This seriously hurt me. WTH? I'm pretty sure he didn't realize how much he spent. He's about to have an 'A HA' moment. No maybes about it!

Budgeted spending:
$120/350 groceries
$0/50 gas
$3.75/25 crazy money
$0/30 footwear
$0/30 to give away

***$255 on car registration due Oct 31, let's see how early I can pay it! ***
My dh has done this in the past, too. Actually, not that long ago, he lost his debit card so used a cc (that was SUPPOSED to be cut up : ) and literally DOUBLED the amount owed on that card. O.M.G. I was (and still kinda am) SO pissed off. How do you make them see that being idiots means that their children don't get to do ANYTHING fun or extra? Is that coffee REALLY worth it?
#374 of 1542 Old 10-04-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
Spent $5.85 from my allowance yesterday to get ice for me (I love the ice from 7-11 that comes in a bag),
I remember this about you! It's so quirky!
#375 of 1542 Old 10-04-2007, 12:20 PM

10/4:
Groceries--in budget

Totals:
No spend: 1/31
Essential spending/bills: 3/31, $375 over budget
Non-essential spending: 0/31
Made/saved extra: 1/31
#376 of 1542 Old 10-04-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersmamma View Post
Oct. 1: $36 gas (necessary!)
Oct. 2: nada, baby!
Oct. 3: $28 at grocery store (necessary)

First off, holy cannoli! : I had a tough time finding my own post so I didn't have to retype previous days! Whew! Anyone have search suggestions to find your own post? Maybe I should always type some weird word, like rutabaga. There. Now I can search for rutabaga and find my post tomorrow!

Second, I am SO proud of myself for getting a week's worth of groceries for 3 for $28! Woo-hoo! Of course, that doesn't include toiletries AT ALL. And we used to get organic produce, which we aren't right now to save money. But still, it gives me hope and opens my eyes as to how much I was spending before. Oh, and I am eating out of the pantry and freezer a lot right now.

Dh actually had the nerve to ask me where the ice cream was when I got home. : I know he was kind of kidding, but when we have a month, two at most, before we can't pay all our bills, there's no room in the budget for anything luxurious. Sorry, buddy. Get a damn jobby job and we'll talk about the Chunky Monkey!
I keep the tally in a document, so I don't have to find previous posts.

How/where did you get groceries for 3 for $28? Wish I could do that... That's so cool!
#377 of 1542 Old 10-04-2007, 12:26 PM

rutabaga rutabaga rutabaga

That's for you, Petersmamma. :
#378 of 1542 Old 10-04-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leomom View Post
No spend days: 0/10
No grocery store days: 3/31
Use something from pantry or freezer: 3/31
Pay extra on cc: $748.20 woo-hoo!
Days using only cash:2/31
Eating Out: 0/200
esp. paying on the CC!
#379 of 1542 Old 10-04-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I save mine in word..that way I can just copy and paste from there! I save my version before I post it so that I get all the smilie codes in there..:
#380 of 1542 Old 10-04-2007, 01:27 PM

10/1
10/2 $34 Wal-Mart ($22 was business expenses)
10/3 : $25 at Whole Foods on homeopathic meds for a sick DS
10/4

GOALS: Spend less than $800 total. Will record everything! Will keep this up for the entire month!

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

#381 of 1542 Old 10-04-2007, 01:30 PM

Oct 1 - Only planned spending within budget today
Oct 2 - Only planned spending today
Oct 3 -
Oct 4 - Bought an extremely expensive salad for lunch :

Well I am posting now since my Mom is coming for the long weekend (it is Thanksgiving here) and I probably won't get to post. We are have a girls day out planned for tomorrow so we will be going out for lunch and to buy groceries for the Thanksgiving weekend. It is going to be difficult but I know I have to report back here so hopefully it will keep me in line.

No Spend Days: 0/15
No Restaurant/Take-out Days: 2/20
#382 of 1542 Old 10-04-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskennedy View Post
I keep the tally in a document, so I don't have to find previous posts.

How/where did you get groceries for 3 for $28? Wish I could do that... That's so cool!
We have Fiesta Marts, which are a primarily Hispanic market that seem to be cheaper than elsewhere (i.e. Kroger or Randall's). They might just be Texas, and probably just Houston. The one I go to has a GREAT produce section (most of the time, anyway).

I stuck to the list, I bought only fruit and veggies that were really cheap (bananas .39/lb, pears 4/1, avocados 3/1, cabbage .49/lb, etc). No meat.

I am still going off pantry supplies A LOT. When that stuff starts running out, it'll definitely be more!

But speaking of, last night we had pesto pasta made from my very own garden basil! We had oodles of rain this summer, so pretty much nothing except my basil and some flowers (can't eat 'em, though!) grew. Oh, well. The pesto is flippin' awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
rutabaga rutabaga rutabaga

That's for you, Petersmamma. :
You are MEAN, frog! Mean! Just for that, I'm going to out you....somehow show your face to all of MDC! Mwah-ha-ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkenna&lucas View Post
I save mine in word..that way I can just copy and paste from there! I save my version before I post it so that I get all the smilie codes in there..:
Ah, you mamas are so much more organized than I am!

I like my idea of funny words. But I'm not going to tell you anymore what the word is. You'll have to see, as I'm going to try to work it in.

As in, last night we were watching The Muppet Show, and my dh casually asked me if I wanted a kumquat. I replied to him with glee, "why that sounds splendid!"
#383 of 1542 Old 10-04-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
You are MEAN, frog! Mean! Just for that, I'm going to out you....
I couldn't possibly be more out than I already am. :
#384 of 1542 Old 10-04-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post
TRIBE -- on the day one without smoking. That is going to save you a ton of money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlita View Post

TRIBE, congrats on the smoking cessation! That has got to be hard work, but will be so worth it in the end.
Thank you both. yesterday wasn't too bad, even though my neihbor friend smoked several times in front of me. I was a little crabby but that could also be due to the total lack of sleep I have been getting
#385 of 1542 Old 10-04-2007, 01:46 PM

Oct 1:
Oct 2:
Oct 3: bought DD's brown boots for $11.50! Bought poor middle child DS3 a new gameboy charger (for 1 penny!) and a game, total with shipping was $18. I felt it necessary as his older brother was completly ignoring him asking to borrow his charger even tho ds3 always lets ds2 use his game boy. And then just to make it a little sweeter and worth the shipping I got him a cheap used game. So I am not counting those as against budget.
made $70
made $8
Oct 4: Starbucks coffee (budgeted 1 week trip) $40 birthday lunch for bff budgeted, $75 gas budgeted $100 1st pymt on my new puppy

Did not make it to the grocery store as I was sick all day and after the hour drive up to town, dealing with other crap and being sik I just couldn't deal with the military grocery store too. Hoping tomorrow I feel better to get my groceries.
I am going to count the puppy as a luxury purchase as she is expensive and not exactly a "need" but she is a rare breed, AKC registered and we may make her a show dog. Plus she is beautiful!!! I can;t wait until she is old enough to come home with me. But paying on her IS in the budget so I am counting it as a technical "no-spend" Does that mean I am cheating?

Goals to date:
4/23 no spend days
3/31 car rest days
day 2 of quitting smoking
added $50 to savings acct
paid off apartment lease debt $2300
paid off cell phone debt $383.96
#386 of 1542 Old 10-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Banned

1. Please introduce yourself and tell us anything you think it would help us to know about yourself.

I'm Sonya (first time here), a sahm to a beautiful daughter born 8/11/07. I'll be 30 this month (WOW!!), married to my wonderful Steve who supports us with his construction company.

2. Please tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of October. Memorize these goals and recite them to yourself before all purchases.

Things are really tight right now. Steve has had a slow month in September, and we aren't sure when it's going to pick back up. We live in his grandmother's trailer (she moved back to NOLA), and while the note is a lot less than a mortgage, we are still getting adjusted to living on one income.

My goals are:

1. At least 15 no-spend days. At least 10 no-gas days.
2. Eat only what we have in the freezer and pantry. Clean them out!!! No running to Sonic because I don't want a PB&J for lunch.
3. Convince Steve to finally stop smoking. That eats up at least 25 bucks a week!
4. Start putting money in Aislinn's savings account.
5. STart again in putting money in our savings account.

Keep me accountable!!!!!

Sonya

Oct 1: This was a spending day...coming home from a trip to see my aunt.
Gas: $30
Fast food: $12

Oct 2: no spend day!!! no gas day!!!
Oct 3: no spend day!!! Went to the grocery and got only what was on WIC.
Oct 4: no spend day!!! Staying home. no gas day!!!

If only I could account for what Steve is spending.....we'll have to have a talk.
#387 of 1542 Old 10-04-2007, 02:00 PM

Oct 1 - no spending
Oct 2 - no spending
Oct 3 - 30.91 in canning supplies and only got what was on my list!

Go Green I don't vax either, why mess with perfect?
#388 of 1542 Old 10-04-2007, 02:08 PM

TRIBE, we should do some cyberhanging out. I'm quitting, too.
#389 of 1542 Old 10-04-2007, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sonya: I'll be 30 this month, too! I know another mama in the same boat as us, as well. We can do it! (Insert cheer here! Go thirty! )

On finding posts: I usually remember what page I posted on, or I just go back a few pages to find it. Or I do a search for all of my posts since I don't post THAT much every day. Or you could just search for rutabaga. Oh crap, now I ruined it, too!

On HA: I was going to just stop in there today to look for the dress I wanted to get, but instead I called, and they didn't have it, so we're not going. Woo-Hoo! I am going to get more creative in using the clothes DD already has. She certainly isn't in danger of going naked

On smoking: I am soooooo happy for those of you who are quitting! What an awesome thing to do for your budget and your health.
#390 of 1542 Old 10-04-2007, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

02.. ,
03.. $9.54 school pictures
04.. ,

My Goals:

1. No Spend Days: 3/20
2. Let the Car Rest Days: 2/13
3. Gym Days: 1/16 (use what I've already paid for)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page