Oct No-Spend Challenge: End of the month is here. Hang on No-spenders Almost There! - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 1542 Old 10-06-2007, 02:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalotusyoga View Post

OK, happy~so happy and proud of myself:
Today I went to Barnes & Noble (to kill time waiting for DH to get off work) with DD and had "Not Buying It" in my hand along with a birth book and a Halloween book for DD and put them back, TWICE! Then went browsing into my absolute favorite shoe shop and even though a pair of green leather dress shoes were SCREAMING my name on clearance...I resisted!
Then went and signed up for my library card and requested "Not Buying It" and scanned through the DVD and CD collection, which I will definately be taking advantage of in a couple of weeks! Our new house is within walking distance to the library and I just found out we can rent admission passes to local museums, so DH and I made a pact to visit all 14 of them together for "dates".
Then resisted going out for drinks with the girlfriends because I have a work conference tomorrow and have to be up early!
GREAT JOB!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#482 of 1542 Old 10-06-2007, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1 - +9.42 Target return, 163.65 groceries (usually has at least one "want", 31.17 household bought out of grocery budget
2 -
3 -
4 -
5 -

goals and progress:
groceries (including pets) 194.82/600
no drive days 2/10
turn off tv more often
hang/rack dry laundry
heat/ac off as long as possible

sarah
#483 of 1542 Old 10-06-2007, 03:01 AM

Only spent necessary $ today!! Resisted a few unnecessary things at Kmart!

Oct 1
Oct 2
Oct 3
Oct 4 $28.14 natural foods, .40 late charges at library, $11.00 birthday gift
Oct 5

No Spend Days: 4/31
No Diaperswappers/etsy: 4/31
Non-essential spending 39.54/200
Save $750
Park the car days = 0/7

My exceptions:
Halloween costumes
Disneyland park tickets
Food for dd's birthday party
#484 of 1542 Old 10-06-2007, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma earthical View Post
no spend days 4/15
no drive days 1/15
cook from scratch days 5/28
#485 of 1542 Old 10-06-2007, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotsupernanny View Post
September 5 : My first pay day from the new job and I only have $30 left!

I spent $216 on bills though!

I spent $4.96 on an Iced Chai Latte thing....and it wasn't very good and they didn't ask if I wanted whipped cream! I did! :

Tomorow I get a few groceries and some much needed Drano stuff! The baking soda/vineger didn't work in the bathroom sink!
Reducereuserecycle told me to try one cup of baking soda, and then a pan of HOT water in the tub drain, which was hopelessly clogged... And it worked. So it might work for your sink.
#486 of 1542 Old 10-06-2007, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbieh View Post
Not a good day. I went to the store this morning and spent $16 for stuff for lunch at work today, and for dinner stuff. Then ended up going for Mexican food for lunch...spent $18.

On the good side....signed a lease on a new office yesterday. So at least I still have my job.

Congrats on the lease!
#487 of 1542 Old 10-06-2007, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leomom View Post
Woo-hoo! I'm on a roll so far...I did buy a zoo membership while we were there, but I used money we had budgeted for entertainment and some extra money from returning stuff. I also returned almost 200 worth of stuff and didn't buy A THING! Even though I went into almost all my favorite stores and the MALL! I am super proud of myself!:

Stats:

No spend days: 0/10
No grocery store days: 5/31
Use something from pantry or freezer: 4/31
Pay extra on cc: $748.20 woo-hoo!
Days using only cash:4/31
Eating Out: 0/200
All this progress... All this progress... !!!
#488 of 1542 Old 10-06-2007, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGlimmeringHope View Post
We are slacking off on DH's days off again. I do so well all week, but then when he's off we tend to spend spend spend. And tomorrow I have to mail a baby shower gift out, so there's some more spending. Ugh.
#489 of 1542 Old 10-06-2007, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liangel View Post
Oct 1- $9.51 for pity wine and some cheese snack sticks. The pity wine is because I got AF today. Not a good thing when you are trying to get pg!

Oct 2- $2.36 on Sonic shake. I am ashamed. I really am not off to a good start this month.

Oct 3- I get 2 winks cause I went to Target with my sister and bought NOTHING!!!! Nada zip zero. She went to pick up some shoes for my niece's costume and she bought a Halloween wreath. She kept asking me if I needed to get anything, so it wouldn't be like I was following her around with the shopping cart. Believe me I saw plenty of stuff I wanted. So yay me!

Oct 4- It was almost a close one today. I am getting sick of my table cloth on my kitchen table (I don't sew or do anything crafty, so I can't make my own and I hate the way the table looks bare). Anyway, when I was in Kmart the other day looking for a Brita Filter, I saw a nice table cloth, but didn't get it (talk about will power). Today I am bored and kept saying to myself "I really want a new table cloth, I really want a new table cloth" Oh and I want to buy these candles to go on these sconces in my hallway. But guess what? I didn't buy anything! I went to the gym and now I am home! It is pouring rain out so there is no way I am going out in this. Yippee for rain!

Oct. 5- $11.20 lunch out with sister. I really gotta do better than this.
You're not doing that badly... Give yourself a break! You can do this.
#490 of 1542 Old 10-06-2007, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

02.. ,
03.. $9.54 school pictures
04.. ,
05.. ,

My Goals:

1. No Spend Days: 4/20
2. Let the Car Rest Days: 3/13
3. Gym Days: 1/16 (use what I've already paid for)

Hmmmm...I'm doing great at no-spending and not driving, but my gym attendance....well, once a week is not exactly what I'm aiming for.

Today. Today I'm going to that gym.

#491 of 1542 Old 10-06-2007, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I would like to take the step beyond longing for stuff and controlling myself and just find peace with less.
Sugar -- That is what I am aiming for too. After reading the book "Your Money or Your Life" I decided I wanted to be happy with a very modest lifestyle so that we would always be secure.

It definitely seems from my very limited perspective that having more and more things doesn't guarrantee happiness --your standards just change.

I saw this happen with my best friend -- who lives in Beverly Hills and drives a Jaguar and is often just as depressed as she was when we were struggling students in college. She is very wealthy by my standards, but now envies the people who are ~above~ her strata and kvetches to me about the things they can't afford. (Not in a braggy way, but with genuine sadness)

There is always something just beyond your reach.

So for me this is a journey...I'm trying to teach myself not to constantly yearn for a "thing" that is going to make me happy.

And also to be conscious that if I spend $35 on a toy that my daughter wants for Christmas and it is even ~one toy too many~ meaning she is overwhelmed and doesn't really get much pleasure from that toy -- think how much smarter it would have been for me to invest that $35 in a college account for her and let it grow for 18 years.

#492 of 1542 Old 10-06-2007, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
...and I'm surprised to learn that I can spend money four days in a row like this.
It's an eye-opener, isn't it?!

When I first saw this thread and joined back in May, I have to admit I was a little smug because I think of myself as a super thrifty person...

Then it was almost like I ~could not~ go a single day without buying something.

I spent money every single day and never realized it.

Actually going a day without spending money is hard work -- and you have to put some thought into it to do it. At least that is the case for me.

#493 of 1542 Old 10-06-2007, 08:44 AM

#494 of 1542 Old 10-06-2007, 12:24 PM

Ok, I figured out the multi-quote thing..as you're reading just click on the multi-quote icon in the bottom right corner of each post- it's the middle one. Then when you are ready to post, hit post and they all how up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarAndSun View Post
I am thinking I really want this shirt (thanks to a banner ad on MDC):

http://www.radicalrags.com/t-shirts/...e_t-shirt.html

What do you think? Is it worth being a consumer for?
Hmmm...everyone has their "thing" and this may be yours...but maybe you could hold off until the end of the month and reward yourself if you have any budgeted money left? That's kind of what I'm doing...just trying to delay gratification and then if I still really want it, I'll reward myself...so far, I've found that I lose the urge for these things, so I must not have really wanted it that badly! I'm sure I'll come across my "thing" by the end of the month, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post

When I first saw this thread and joined back in May, I have to admit I was a little smug because I think of myself as a super thrifty person...

Actually going a day without spending money is hard work -- and you have to put some thought into it to do it. At least that is the case for me.
ITA! I felt the same way...but I have YET to have a no spend day this month, even though I've only bought unbudgeted things once or twice...crazy! I put down that I wanted 10 no spend days this month, but I don't know how realistic that is...man!

Mrs. Kennedy, you are sooo inspiring and encouraging. Thanks for sticking with us!:
#495 of 1542 Old 10-06-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:

I always thought of myself as a super thrifty person, too! I'm a longtime Tightwad Gazette reader, keep a budget (usually), have a price book, shop thrift stores, etc. But I guess everyone has their gazingus pins (as they would say in Your Money or Your Life).

I really would have thought that I spent money only here and there! And today I "have to" spend money AGAIN, since I want to get a re-usable filter for our furnace and the sale ends today. (I figure this will save money and be environmentally friendly in the long run...but again, spending money AND driving!)

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#496 of 1542 Old 10-06-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamilkers View Post
10/01: no spend!
10/02: no spend!
10/04: no spend!
10/05: $25 on stuff for my older DD at Target :

Goals:
1. 3/20 no-spend days
2. $222/$400 on groceries
3. $25/$0 spent on my DDs (who are in need of NOTHING!)
4. 0/2 days taking DD#1 to school on the city bus
5. $63/$100 personal spending on anything I wish

Okay, today was a good and bad day. I resisted the Hanna Andersson temptation, but thought I would be "just fine" going to Target for a "few things". I was bamboozled (thanks Prudence, I will forever be using that word!) by the Thermos kids sippy cups that are stainless steel. $15 a pop. I got one for my DD, so now both DD's have them. I also bought my older DD slippers. In my defense, they are really cute. However, I think I may return them. We have hardwood floors and it's cold here in the morning, however, I don't think she will really wear them. $10, is it worth it? I don't know. I am mad at myself.

Also, I am trying REALLY hard with regards to staying in the $400 grocery budget and it's the 4th, I'm at $222! WTF?!?! Granted, we have stuff for a good couple of weeks, but I don't know why this is so hard! I have even scaled back on buying exclusively organics and it's still alot of $$. Sigh.

Today was a terrible day. My babysitter didn't show so I couldn't go to yoga. I totaly over-spent at the store and gave in to multiple treats to get my girls through both Target and the grocery store. I bought myself a shirt and a skirt, though, which was exciting. I am really tall so it's hard to find l/s shirts that fit me. I found one at Target! Part of my "fun money" though
I always think grocery money just slips out of my hands... I just love food and I also love buying it

Quote:
Originally Posted by blsilva View Post
Woohoo! It was hard, too. The smell of french fries...
But I did it!:
So, 4 days, nothing (unnecessary) spent!!!!!
Cooking dinner, for the fourth night in a row!
I get that feeling from baked goods.... but thinking about the extreme unhealthiness of it is often an eye-opener. Plus most isn't vegan so I'm safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
I SPENT MONEY AGAIN TODAY.

Sorry to yell, but today was the first day I spent money completely frivolously and I'm getting down on myself.

I was hanging a load of diapers on the line outside this morning -- a good thing, since I just installed the retractable laundry line last weekend and I'm finally starting to hang laundry -- and I discovered that a whole load does not fit on the one line. So then I thought that I should get another retractable line to install on the other side of the house so I could have two going at one time (both attached to the same hook, making a sort of triangle in our yard).

The hardware store had one for $15 but they ALSO had soy tea-light candles, which I have been "needing" to go with the essential oil burner I ordered recently that I also "need." The store also had more of the cute funky animal magnets we have several of already...and I just had to get the frog, the zebra and the rooster. :

I don't want to return the magnets, since DS already knows we have them, but I'm considering returning the tea-light candles and mailing the essential oil burner back, even though I'll lose money on shipping. What do you think? Part of this is that I've been trying to simplify and get rid of things, and then somehow I lost my mind and bought more crap.

10/1: $152.06 car repair
10/2: $74.31 groceries
10/3: $313.57 ($200 deposit into the United Natural Foods Buying Club account and $5.26 for a sympathy card and q-tips and $108.31 in supplements and shampoo/conditioner at LuckyVitamin.com)
10/4: $26.65 for a retractable clothesline, three animal magnets, and some tea-light candles

Also, tomorrow DS and I are meeting some friends at a coffee shop. I had been thinking I'd "have to" spend money tomorrow, but I just realized that we're planning on just meeting there and taking a walk together. So I could bring food/drinks from home instead. I'm sure my friend will order something, so if we end up sitting at the coffee shop at all I wouldn't feel too bad about it.

This is the kind of thing this thread is great for!
don't beat yourself up about it... hanging out in cafes is also a social thing, so maybe worth spending money SOMETIMES. I did so just yesterday :

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalotusyoga View Post
Here's my day today:
Good morning! Dropped DD off at Grandmas, Drive MIL to the airport (last minute) to visit my job of a BIL , Car won't start ! My bro picks me up and drives me to my haircut and then DHs work.
Drop DH at a friends while I go to work and he starts drinking , gets and : ensues the whole ride home, NOW I'm ..., ...

Here's my (expected) day tomorrow:
DH to me and for his behavior. Promises to be an and NEVER again.
: you're good at telling a story!

Quote:

same here!

hh2.gif

#497 of 1542 Old 10-06-2007, 01:16 PM

new post cuz the other is just way too long already

NO sweets from the health food store 5/31
NO amazon purchase for myself 5/31
eating out of pantry 1/15

yeah, grocery day here, I even managed to get some organic veggies at a farmers' market, really not that expensive. still, some unnecessary spending on poppy seeds, peanut butter and breakfast yesterday in a different city. I don't feel bad for the first two because I want to bake more at home, so it's saving in the long run. the breakfast I can defend but I know I should have brought some food. :

hh2.gif

#498 of 1542 Old 10-06-2007, 01:30 PM

Ladies, thanks for sharing your daily stories! It really helps to see everyone's "ah ha" moments!!

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09
#499 of 1542 Old 10-06-2007, 01:44 PM

OK, here's my problem:

I am trying to cut down on the amount of money I spend at the grocery store, because I was wasting a lot of money buying frivolous things (i.e. I would just walk into the store without a plan and buy whatever I wanted). Now that I have an absolute limit of what I can spend, I tend to try to find the discounts and go to the cheaper stores.

Unfortunately I don't have time to research all the sales at all the stores in my area before I shop. It would take a lot of recon and I simply don't have the time. I tend to shop at four stores - Target, Kroger, Sack 'n' Save, and Costco.

Sack 'n' Save has the cheapest produce (except for lettuce), meat (for a standard grocery store, but buying in bulk at Costco is the cheapest option), and tortillas, but as far as the other groceries go it is as expensive or MORE expensive than either Kroger or Target. Kroger and Target tend to be about the same in terms of price, with a give of maybe +/- $0.30 or so. I always shop at Costco for meat if I have the money (buying in bulk = large outlay of cash!) and eggs. Kroger and Costco always charge $3.50 for a gallon of milk, Target is $3.99, and Sack 'n' Save is $4.19. :

So now I'm wondering if it's even worth the effort of driving all the way to Sack 'n' Save (6 miles away) just to get cheap produce. Last week I spent $27 on almost all the stuff I needed for a given week at Sack 'n' Save, but when I went to get a couple of items from Kroger, I discovered that all the non-produce items were MORE EXPENSIVE at Sack 'n' Save, so I probably ended up spending $5 more than I needed to. That $5 probably could have been made up if I had just shopped at Kroger and spent a bit more on produce!

I'm a working mama and I don't have hours and hours to spend shopping every week. I need a simple solution to this problem. The possible solutions I see to this problem are:

1) Forget Sack 'n' Save, and only shop Target and Kroger and assume I've split the difference even though the produce is more expensive.
2) Keep shopping at Sack 'n' Save, but only buy produce (seems a long way to drive just for that!).

Sack 'n' Save prices change weekly, so even if I go this week and try to comparison shop, the numbers could change significantly by next week.

:::

HELP!
#500 of 1542 Old 10-06-2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarAndSun View Post
I am thinking I really want this shirt (thanks to a banner ad on MDC):

http://www.radicalrags.com/t-shirts/...e_t-shirt.html

What do you think? Is it worth being a consumer for?
Is it sad that my hormones are so messed up from quitting smokes (and possibly I am pms-ing too) that I cried over the peace/anti-war shirts. I love the AE one and the John Lennon shirt and most definetly this one http://www.radicalrags.com/t-shirts/...s_t-shirt.html
#501 of 1542 Old 10-06-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle524 View Post
Melissa, you never told me where in NJ you are!
Ack! I completely forgot about that other thread I haven't successfully decluttered a thing yet! I keep getting thwarted by no-shows and kids picking stuff out of the garbage We're in North Brunswick, so pretty far south from you. Bummer! I always check when I see someone from NJ though

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskennedy View Post
melissel--mall pinball Congrats on winning!!!!
Thanks! I swear that's what it feels like! Old Navy was very hard, because my DD1 needs a few pairs of jeans for the fall/winter (and they have those cute sweaters I'm going to see if I can get a gift card from my credit card rewards instead!

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#502 of 1542 Old 10-06-2007, 02:40 PM

***October***

3 Groceries

Budgeted spending:
$120/350 groceries
$0/50 gas
$3.75/25 crazy money
$0/30 footwear
$0/30 to give away

***$255 on car registration due Oct 31, let's see how early I can pay it! ***
#503 of 1542 Old 10-06-2007, 03:13 PM

Oct 1 $63 BRU $327.60 plane tix
Oct 2 $0
Oct 3 $10 Dr. Co-pay $3 Parking hate paying for parking at the Dr.
Oct 4 $0
Oct 5 $5 ice cream at the airport

Goals:
2/15 no spend days
0 restaurant meals
#504 of 1542 Old 10-06-2007, 03:32 PM

Oct 1
Oct 2
Oct 3
Oct 4 $28.14 natural foods, .40 late charges at library, $11.00 birthday gift
Oct 5
Oct 6

No Spend Days: 5/31
No Diaperswappers/etsy: 5/31
Non-essential spending 39.54/200
Save $750
Park the car days = 0/7

My exceptions:
Halloween costumes
Disneyland park tickets
Food for dd's birthday party
#505 of 1542 Old 10-06-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisac77 View Post
OK, here's my problem:

I am trying to cut down on the amount of money I spend at the grocery store, because I was wasting a lot of money buying frivolous things (i.e. I would just walk into the store without a plan and buy whatever I wanted). Now that I have an absolute limit of what I can spend, I tend to try to find the discounts and go to the cheaper stores.

Unfortunately I don't have time to research all the sales at all the stores in my area before I shop. It would take a lot of recon and I simply don't have the time. I tend to shop at four stores - Target, Kroger, Sack 'n' Save, and Costco.

Sack 'n' Save has the cheapest produce (except for lettuce), meat (for a standard grocery store, but buying in bulk at Costco is the cheapest option), and tortillas, but as far as the other groceries go it is as expensive or MORE expensive than either Kroger or Target. Kroger and Target tend to be about the same in terms of price, with a give of maybe +/- $0.30 or so. I always shop at Costco for meat if I have the money (buying in bulk = large outlay of cash!) and eggs. Kroger and Costco always charge $3.50 for a gallon of milk, Target is $3.99, and Sack 'n' Save is $4.19. :

So now I'm wondering if it's even worth the effort of driving all the way to Sack 'n' Save (6 miles away) just to get cheap produce. Last week I spent $27 on almost all the stuff I needed for a given week at Sack 'n' Save, but when I went to get a couple of items from Kroger, I discovered that all the non-produce items were MORE EXPENSIVE at Sack 'n' Save, so I probably ended up spending $5 more than I needed to. That $5 probably could have been made up if I had just shopped at Kroger and spent a bit more on produce!

I'm a working mama and I don't have hours and hours to spend shopping every week. I need a simple solution to this problem. The possible solutions I see to this problem are:

1) Forget Sack 'n' Save, and only shop Target and Kroger and assume I've split the difference even though the produce is more expensive.
2) Keep shopping at Sack 'n' Save, but only buy produce (seems a long way to drive just for that!).

Sack 'n' Save prices change weekly, so even if I go this week and try to comparison shop, the numbers could change significantly by next week.

:::

HELP!
If you really only end up spending the same amount of money for produce as for driving there I'd definitely say skip the store! first, you have more time and that alone is reason enough. second, two stores for me would also mean two possibilities to buy something unnecessary.

hh2.gif

#506 of 1542 Old 10-06-2007, 04:00 PM

Lisa C. I struggle with the same things. I simply can't drag myself and my two young DDs to a bunch of different stores to shop, so I pick my main three and figure the $$ spent is worth the time saved. If you figure what your time is worth and what gas you spend, driving all over for something that isn't that much cheaper.
#507 of 1542 Old 10-06-2007, 04:02 PM

Oct. 1: $36 gas (necessary!)
Oct. 2: nada, baby!
Oct. 3: $28 at grocery store (necessary)
Oct. 4: $3 at McDonald's (this was dh and NOT me, apparently ds "needed" french fries. Sure.)
Oct. 5: $15 pizza (again, Dh. Sigh) and ~$30 gas (necessary)

Okay, I'm seriously about to roast my dh alive. Gah. Stop spending money we don't have!
#508 of 1542 Old 10-06-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersmamma View Post
Oct. 4: $3 at McDonald's (this was dh and NOT me, apparently ds "needed" french fries. Sure.)
Sorry, but my dh tries to do the same thing. The other day, as I am driving past McD's and trying my best to avoid it, he tells me, "Why don't you just get dinner there? It right here."

Umm, yeah, if I had the $$!
Dh, repeat after me: I will not go to McDonald's this week. :

Homeschooling mom of 2 rambunctious, loving, spectacular boys, wife to an incredible man who has been my best friend on this journey <3

#509 of 1542 Old 10-06-2007, 05:08 PM

Ok, I posted earlier this morning but my post seems to have disappeared.. despite trying not to spend its so much easier said than done. I have not had a single no spend day yet .

Yesterday I had to go into town to pick up my shares from the CSA so I bought my weekly pound of coffee and rather than buy an expresso drink that costs extra, I got the free cup of drip that comes with a pound purchase, so that's good.

However I was hungry so dh & I had lunch though I did pick a cheaper place and saved a few bucks. Total spent was $38 for lunch and a pound of organic free trade coffee.

Today however went downhill, went to the farmers market and spent about $25 on milk, butter and veggies. Not so bad except I went to the kiddie thrift store and spent $22 on stuff for dd, got 2 skirts, pants and a fleece top. She doesn't have a ton of clothes for thr cold weather so I am trying to get stuff as I see it to avoid the usual clothing crisis that ends up with me spending a $100 or so at Old Navy or Target. Sadly we rarely get any donated clothes from friends and no grandmas to buy stuff.

However my real downfall today was stopping at the cool health food store and buying junk.. $4 graham crackers and organic juice boxes :, crazy because we have klean kanteens and can carry water. I get in there and all the cool food just starts talking to me, long story short I spent $35 when I originally went into get some oats for making cookies.

Then afterwards we went to Burger King and spent $15.. ugh....

The bright side this month is we paid off a car loan, earlier this year we bought a car from a friend and agreed to pay it off in a year, well I did some work for this friend and told her rather than paying me when the client pays to just take the money and consider the loan paid off. It was a thousand dollar job and it would have been nice to have the money in hand but it feels good to know I don't have to pay out $200 a month for 5 more months.

I am also canceling cable this week so that will free up $75 a month, so even though I am not so good with no-spend yet, being around here has really helped me to think about how I spend money. I never really thought about the fact that cable is $900 a year and yeah I will miss watching junk in the middle of the night but its not worth it.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#510 of 1542 Old 10-06-2007, 06:01 PM

I'v been doing really well so far. I haven't been posting my spedning/non-spending only because I don't have enough time and just coming here and reading keeps me honest. But today I was at Costco and saw that they have a Stomp Rocket kit for $16. This was on my list for DD's Xmas anyway because I think she'd love it and I like how simple it is, but I'm committed to not spending unneccessarily this month. Both of our cars need new brakes ASAP and we're trying to set money aside for DH's grad school tuition, which is $1400 and will be due in January. Still, $16 is a great deal for what it includes and I was planning on (maybe) getting it for her anyways. WWYD???

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page